OIA says football cancelled

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: OIA says football cancelled

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

I think this whole football "resurrection" is something of a sham, really. I mean, the "games" will be nothing but glorified scrimmages. Punahou School won't even activate its scoreboard. And this notion of a "club team" consisting of a blend of OIA schools? This is getting ridiculous. Schools are trying to pull this off in the midst of a pandemic, and the OIA schools are already in Spring Break, which means the 4th quarter of school is about to begin, and the ILH schools aren't too far behind. I'm suggesting that schools simply wait until next school year. I mean, football is a Fall sport; why not wait until August/September? The whole thing is ridiculous. The ILH pulled-off its cheerleading championships at Kamehameha Schools' gym last week. Did you see it on TV? That's the only way you could have seen it, because no fans were allowed due to the pandemic. All the girls were wearing masks, and there was constant hand-sanitizing. But, there wasn't even social distancing; the girls were sitting together by teams, in the bleachers. The whole thing seemed ridiculous and strained. I'm assuming the girls all had their temperatures checked before entering the gym, but what if any of them were asymptomatic? Would they have had a temperature then? We haven't even vaccinated teens yet; the only ones that might have gotten a shot are military kids. How many of those cheerleaders are military kids? Responsible adults need to tell high school teens that waiting 'til next school year is the prudent thing to do. This pandemic isn't over yet; there were 30 new COVID cases yesterday on Oahu alone, and we already have the British and South African COVID variants on Oahu. Sanity and restraint need to prevail.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Just read a article on the 247sports website updating the recruiting process for a local recruit in the football recruiting section. Very interesting reading as pertaining to whether or not football gets played this fall in Hawaii. Amid the positive reviews his talents got and what schools thought of him, the subject of his hs career came up. He said he had heard talk that football might be canceled again in fall 2021. The player went on to say that he would play in Utah again this fall if that cancelation happened.

Is he right to be concerned? I think the answer is yes. Even when new daily infections got down to twenty,football and basketball remained canceled. Today new cases were around 80, so you can see where this could be headed in the fall.
I mean, if the government and the leagues wouldn’t open up football and basketball at 20 new cases per day,they sure aren’t going to do it anytime soon with 80 new infections being reported today.

That trickle of players to the mainland last year probably becomes a faster flow this year. Any silence on the part of leagues and the state government will be taken as a sign that cancelation could be coming in the fall. If nothing concrete comes from the state or leagues by the end of June,I think a real exodus of players becomes a possibility. The players who can move,will do it to get registered in a mainland district before fall.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

We all know that the past "pandemic year" has been a brutal time emotionally. I suppose many alumni see reconnecting with their alma maters via sports, as one small way to ease the emotional and psychological pain; I get that. But, you can't even watch; no fans are allowed. So, how can you even reconnect? You can watch only if the games/matches are televised. Also, I think we have to remember that these are high school teens we're talking about; these are kids. We expose them to enough risk by allowing them to attend in-person classes, if their parents so choose. It's quite another thing to re-institute sports. The pandemic isn't over yet, and here on Oahu the COVID cases have been rising due to the easing of travel restrictions. Perhaps alumni should hang-in there until Fall. Your alma maters won't disappear; they'll be there in August/September. Let's wait until next school year starts; that's soon enough. The OIA schools are already in 4th quarter, and the ILH schools can't be too far away from that.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote:
> Just read a article on the 247sports website updating the recruiting
> process for a local recruit in the football recruiting section. Very
> interesting reading as pertaining to whether or not football gets played
> this fall in Hawaii. Amid the positive reviews his talents got and what
> schools thought of him, the subject of his hs career came up. He said he
> had heard talk that football might be canceled again in fall 2021. The
> player went on to say that he would play in Utah again this fall if that
> cancelation happened.
>
> Is he right to be concerned? I think the answer is yes. Even when new daily
> infections got down to twenty,football and basketball remained canceled.
> Today new cases were around 80, so you can see where this could be headed
> in the fall.
> I mean, if the government and the leagues wouldn’t open up football and
> basketball at 20 new cases per day,they sure aren’t going to do it anytime
> soon with 80 new infections being reported today.
>
> That trickle of players to the mainland last year probably becomes a faster
> flow this year. Any silence on the part of leagues and the state government
> will be taken as a sign that cancelation could be coming in the fall. If
> nothing concrete comes from the state or leagues by the end of June,I think
> a real exodus of players becomes a possibility. The players who can
> move,will do it to get registered in a mainland district before fall.

How do Hawaii players find mainland schools that are interested in them? Are their high school coaches helping them play elsewhere while Hawaii sports are shut down? It must also be somewhat of a strain on the families as well, with parents having to find housing and new jobs so quickly in usually an unfamiliar area.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

We've read about high school football players who moved to the mainland over the summer, just to play in states that allowed football in the Fall. Well, what can we say? Still, only a few players did that. The vast majority of players stayed put. And, if high school football does return here in the Fall, well, those who aren't graduating this year, can play. High school football in Hawaii has been going-on for decades; one year lost won't kill us. Alumni can revel in watching their alma maters play football again, once this pandemic gets beat. It's already late March; the school year is already in the 4th quarter. May I suggest that alumni cool their jets and just wait until Fall. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Once high school football returns here safely, alumni might enjoy it even more than before. And, suppose it's still not safe enough to play football in the Fall, and even the upcoming football season is cancelled. Well, what are you going to do? That's life; roll with the punches, right? The COVID pandemic has rocked our lives in so many ways; don't we have to make-up our minds to deal with it? What else can we do? Perhaps alumni can compensate by wearing t-shirts advertising their alma mater when they go out in public; that way they can still represent during this difficult time. That's one way to show school pride (or, alma mater pride). It's hard right now, but we need to cope.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Cope? UH Warriors found a way to cope and play football as well as most of their other sports this year. Nobody has reported a mass outbreak of COVID in Hawaii because of a UH game.Maybe that’s because they have followed protocols to deal with the virus and have been blended in class and offered extra curricular activities as well.

Over half of the states in this country started sports last fall also. High schools on the mainland don’t have a magic income stream that gives them as many resources as a mainland college ,but they found a way to make class and extracurricular activities work within in the framework of COVID protocols.Hawaii can’t find a way to do it?Not buying that.

You have already seen the pushback from some OIA and ILH schools. Many of them have been in blended learning,and are resuming sports. So far, no reports of hotspots in Hawaii being traced back to any swimming ,volleyball,cross-country at a high school contest or classroom for that matter. Those club basketball contests some of the ILH and OIA schools did...same result.. kids played... no COVID hotspots traced back to any of the games. Some high schools in Hawaii have learned how to give their students a near as possible pre-COVID school environment safely without endangering the community.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Dr Fauci, perhaps the most pre-eminent COVID authority in the nation, is warning that some states are re-opening too early, risking another surge of COVID. Granted, Hawaii isn't an egregious example. Nonetheless, COVID cases have been rising in Hawaii, including--and especially--on Oahu. Things have gotten to the point where the Star-Advertiser said Oahu might have to move back to Tier 2. That is bad. This despite the fact that more and more Oahu residents have been getting the COVID vaccine each day. I think those high schools on Oahu--particularly ILH schools--that are rushing forward and restarting more and more sports, are spitting into the wind. I think the OIA schools are behaving smarter. It's still dangerous to start high school sports, regardless of COVID protocols and precautions. Especially the indoor sports, which are played with less ventilation because they are played indoors, in gyms. I've noticed that the ILH has begun girls' and boys' volleyball. The only good thing about that that I think of, is that the girls get to play despite the fact that they're supposed to play in the Fall. So, that's great from the standpoint of equality. But, both the boys and girls are still playing indoors, in gyms; there's less ventilation than there is outdoors. Worse, I'd imagine it's safe to assume that next to none of these players have gotten their COVID shots. As far as I know, only military teens can get shots, through the military. How many of those volleyball players fall into that category? I think these schools are playing with fire, and these are teenage kids that we're talking about. We're talking high school sports here.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kids these days. Actually being in a classroom,playing basketball,volleyball,golf,baseball.Next thing you know,they’ll be dating ,too.Where will it all end up?🤔

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

This is the High School Sports forum. I'm assuming that we who are on it are concerned about the welfare of high school kids, especially those who attend our respective alma maters. I feel it's important that high schools continue to educate students, despite the pandemic. At the very least, students can remain on virtual learning, at least at OIA schools. But, sports are another matter entirely. I for one am not comfortable insisting that sports need to begin. Lt Gov Green said that currently the majority of people catching COVID in Hawaii are among the younger set, which includes 18-year-olds. Some seniors in high school are already 18. Green said this is not the time to push the envelope, and that if people aren't careful, case-counts could jump into the 200s again. These are not normal times; teens can't carry-on in high school as if they are. There's a pandemic going on. I think high schools need to shut-down sports, for the safety of students. Tomorrow is April already; the school year is almost over. Let's wait for next school year. As I was channel-surfing yesterday, I saw that there were girls' and boys' volleyball matches between Mid-Pac Institute and Iolani School. Very risky. Notice that OIA schools aren't doing this. I continue to believe that OIA schools are behaving more responsibly.