2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:27 am gopunahou,

I don’t doubt St.Louis is on Mater Dei’s schedule in 2020,but there are reasons to doubt that the game happens. I haven’t found any media sources that have talked about Mater Dei canceling interstate games. However, there are multiple websites that have quoted St. John Bosco’s HFC Jason Negro and also a school spokeswoman to the result that SJB has canceled all of it’s interstate games. The Braves have been reduced to a 7-game schedule as it stands right now,and they are trying to find some more Cali schools to try and fill out their schedule before CIF playoffs. Mater Dei is in the same league as SJB and also plays a national non league schedule. Mater Dei might wind up canceling their interstate games too.

If Mater Dei doesn’t cancel,The HHSAA might because, Cali is a new hotspot currently with thousands of new cases daily. With Hawaii among the states of lowest reported new infections, why would Hawaii admins let the game happen?
@unpaid: Not only is Mater Dei High in California; it's in southern California, and that's the part of the state that's getting especially hard-hit by COVID-19. Aside from what Mater Dei's league might say, I suspect that Hawaii governor Ige might lean on HHSAA to block the game, seeing as Mater Dei High is located in a COVID hotspot. As I posted earlier, I don't want St Louis to play that game; I want them to focus all their attention on Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:14 pm Damien laid off most of its athletic staff. Shame, but must be cause of COVID.

At least Pac-Five will be better if there's sports this year
@Neighbor: Why would Pac-Five be better? Mid-Pac Institute has already blocked its students from playing on Pac-Five's football team because of COVID-19. And, presumably, Pac-Five won't be able to use Mid-Pac's field for practice.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 pm Damien has had a history of head-scratching coaching changes. Of course, Klaneski can join us.
@gopunahou: But this wasn't a coaching change, right? Neighbor said they were laid-off, presumably because of the lack of practice/activity due to the COVID-19 shutdown.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Cmak1016 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 pm Question is who transferred to Mililani this year?? Word is they will have a new QB also??
Hopefully they do. Everything I read from posters say that they've at least been on the search for a new one since the end of last season. I remember reading something about a JV standout already in-house? I could be wrong about that one. If Mililani had a better QB last season it's my opinion that they would've been a 100% legit contender for the state title. They had a lot of skill at multiple positions and a bunch of All-State 1st/2nd teamers and honorable mentions. Not as deep as St. Louis for sure(who is?), but they maybe would've had just enough to squeeze by if their QB was better than average.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:12 pm
Cmak1016 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 pm Question is who transferred to Mililani this year?? Word is they will have a new QB also??
Hopefully they do. Everything I read from posters say that they've at least been on the search for a new one since the end of last season. I remember reading something about a JV standout already in-house? I could be wrong about that one. If Mililani had a better QB last season it's my opinion that they would've been a 100% legit contender for the state title. They had a lot of skill at multiple positions and a bunch of All-State 1st/2nd teamers and honorable mentions. Not as deep as St. Louis for sure(who is?), but they maybe would've had just enough to squeeze by if their QB was better than average.
@bandits1: And who can forget Mililani's painful 3-0 loss to Punahou? If Mililani had a better QB last season, they almost certainly would have won that game. A better QB would have been worth at least 6 points, I'm sure.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HHSAA says they hope to release guidelines next week for starting fall sports. Shouldn't have long to wait to find out if football starts in September , or gets pushed back to October. The StarAdvertier article mentioned air riflery and bowling were considered low risk sports by the HHSAA. My guess is those two sports go ahead on time.

I'm not sure that anything is gained by postponing football. Covid-19 does not appear to be seasonal. It was spiking in New York and New England in the winter.Now, it's summer and cases are spiking in CA, AZ,FL,GA during 90-100 degree heat waves. Instead of coming in waves,it's more like a tsunami, one big wave and it soaks everything and it's here.

Let's say that football starts on time. Players will start testing positive during camps,and the state shuts football down and could postpone it until Dec. The same scenario probably repeats itself in Dec ,and then again in the spring. I hope they let football start on time because you might as well find out now what the tolerance for football and basketball,cheerleading, volleyball is going to be when the positives start coming in. If the virus is not seasonal,then postponing only delays the inevitable shutdown of high risk sports.

I can live with football being canceled this year if parents and the HHSAA have no tolerance for the Covid cases that will surely come during training even before games begin. I just don't put much stock in trying to squeeze a season in between virus spikes because the virus doesn't seem to mind heat or cold.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:
1. I agree with HHSAA that air riflery is a safe sport because: 1.) It's played at outdoor ranges, rather than in an enclosed building. 2.) The shooters can be staggered at every other stall. 3.) It's not an exertive sport; there's no huffing and puffing. 4.) It's not a contact sport, so shooters have no physical contact with each other. 5.) It's not a spectator sport, so there are no fans present.
2. I think bowling is less safe than air riflery. For one, it's played in enclosed, air-conditioned buildings. Might COVID-19 be spread through the A/C?
Finally, there's some degree of exertion when the players wind-up and release the heavy bowling ball. That might translate into some amount of heavy breathing or heavy exhaling. It's not like being in a supermarket, where no one is exerting themselves.
3. Guys got on my case when I said I'd be OK with football being canceled, as Punahou School is likely to take State Open, and I'd hate to see that happen. But I'm glad that you, too, could accept football being canceled if necessary.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 am @unpaid:
1. I agree with HHSAA that air riflery is a safe sport because: 1.) It's played at outdoor ranges, rather than in an enclosed building. 2.) The shooters can be staggered at every other stall. 3.) It's not an exertive sport; there's no huffing and puffing. 4.) It's not a contact sport, so shooters have no physical contact with each other. 5.) It's not a spectator sport, so there are no fans present.
2. I think bowling is less safe than air riflery. For one, it's played in enclosed, air-conditioned buildings. Might COVID-19 be spread through the A/C?
Finally, there's some degree of exertion when the players wind-up and release the heavy bowling ball. That might translate into some amount of heavy breathing or heavy exhaling. It's not like being in a supermarket, where no one is exerting themselves.
3. Guys got on my case when I said I'd be OK with football being canceled, as Punahou School is likely to take State Open, and I'd hate to see that happen. But I'm glad that you, too, could accept football being canceled if necessary.
We’ll be the 1st to tell you that SLS is the favorite until somebody beats them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 am @unpaid:
We’ll be the 1st to tell you that SLS is the favorite until somebody beats them.
@gopunahou: That's only a formality. If unpaid is right, your alma mater has the best players. Which means, they most likely will beat St Louis. Having said that, there still is doubt that there'll be a football season. Oklahoma University's football team now has 14 players with COVID-19. And, the virus is still here on Oahu, of course. Yesterday, there were 15 cases of COVID-19 on Oahu.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I really don't think fall sports can happen. If Hawaii opens travel on Aug.1st, and public school goes on Aug.2nd, that's a lot of unknowns hitting the fan at once. If even 1 high school reports upswing in covid cases, the whole thing will come tumbling down. The minimum thing the OIA should do is play OIA only teams. Plan for an OIA championship if last that long, good. A season with 8 games, start to finish will be a win.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: You're not going to like this, but I really don't want to see your alma mater win the state Open title, so I'd like to see football season canceled. I read about the infected Iolani School coach in the paper. For me, then, that's a second reason to cancel the season. It's a statistical certainty that coaches and players at other schools will catch the virus, too; that makes it a health and safety issue. Re-opening the schools is dangerous enough; football should be out of the question. As soon as the school day ends, students should head home, in an effort to keep COVID-19 from spreading. The past two weeks have been bad; we've had double-digit daily infections. Two days set records: 41, and then 42 cases. Governor Ige has had to extend the travel quarantine to September 1. If things get really bad, schools may have to close and go to an all-online format. Barring some miracle, all of this is the awful reality that Hawaii high schools are facing. Older teachers should retire; their age makes them more vulnerable to COVID-19.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

https://twitter.com/PupulePaul/status/1284588635912695808

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Geez, make up your mind.
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:03 pm Frankly, if Punahou School is likely to take the state Open title, I'd just as soon see football season cancelled. It would be unbearable for me to see the Puns take it all.
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:53 pm Even so, if God gave me two choices: End the pandemic but see Punahou School win the state Open title, or, continue the pandemic and see the football season canceled, I'd choose the former. As much as I don't care for Punahou School, this pandemic has killed or sickened too many people, and has caused the rest of us to live in fear. I'd hate to see the Puns win the state Open title, but at least life as we knew it would return.
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:29 am @gopunahou: You're not going to like this, but I really don't want to see your alma mater win the state Open title, so I'd like to see football season canceled. I read about the infected Iolani School coach in the paper. For me, then, that's a second reason to cancel the season.
So which is it? First you say that you'd rather the season be cancelled for everyone just to prevent Punahou from winning the state title. Then you say if "God" gave you a choice, you'd rather Punahou win the title if it meant the pandemic was over. And now you're saying, again, that you'd rather the season be cancelled than for Punahou to win the title, with the safety of everyone involved a "second reason". :hmm:

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:15 pm Geez, make up your mind.
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:03 pm Frankly, if Punahou School is likely to take the state Open title, I'd just as soon see football season cancelled. It would be unbearable for me to see the Puns take it all.
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:53 pm Even so, if God gave me two choices: End the pandemic but see Punahou School win the state Open title, or, continue the pandemic and see the football season canceled, I'd choose the former. As much as I don't care for Punahou School, this pandemic has killed or sickened too many people, and has caused the rest of us to live in fear. I'd hate to see the Puns win the state Open title, but at least life as we knew it would return.
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:29 am @gopunahou: You're not going to like this, but I really don't want to see your alma mater win the state Open title, so I'd like to see football season canceled. I read about the infected Iolani School coach in the paper. For me, then, that's a second reason to cancel the season.
So which is it? First you say that you'd rather the season be cancelled for everyone just to prevent Punahou from winning the state title. Then you say if "God" gave you a choice, you'd rather Punahou win the title if it meant the pandemic was over. And now you're saying, again, that you'd rather the season be cancelled than for Punahou to win the title, with the safety of everyone involved a "second reason". :hmm:
@bandits1:
OK; let me clarify. Yes, I'd still rather see the season cancelled, just to prevent Punahou School from winning the state Open title. Obviously, not everyone has to agree. Besides, it doesn't matter what I want, anyway. I'm not the head of HHSAA.
Yes, if God gave me a choice, I'd rather have Punahou School win the title if it meant the pandemic was over. Hello? Who wouldn't accept such an offer, if God made it? I may not like Punahou School, but that doesn't mean I want to see the world continue to suffer from this pandemic. Finally, yes: Because of the way COVID-19 is spiking here, I think the season should be canceled simply for reasons of health and safety. This has now become the primary reason.
Newsflash: It was announced today that 28 players on West Virginia University's football team have COVID-19.