2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid: Well, "We will see," only if there is a football season. Mid-Pac Institute has already said its students will not participate on Pac-Five's football team. Not only does that mean Pac-Five will have fewer players; presumably, Pac-Five won't be able to use Mid-Pac's field for practice. Who's to say other schools won't follow Mid-Pac's lead? Frankly, if Punahou School is likely to take the state Open title, I'd just as soon see football season cancelled. It would be unbearable for me to see the Puns take it all.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Ok...football is just a game. I’m sorry if you find it unbearable that a school you don’t like might win a state title.

Punahou has won at least two state titles in the state playoffs since 2000,and yet you are still here. I think you will live.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^Yup, pretty fanatical that he'd rather the entire season get cancelled for everyone than to see a particular team win the title.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Well, yeah, that's only my position. What I say or how I feel, doesn't really matter, right? It's not going to change anything. It's not like football season will be canceled just because I don't want to see Punahou School win it all. Also, at this point I want to make clear that I have nothing against Punahou School's football team or anyone on it. What I don't like is the school they're playing for. If Punahou School and, say, Nanakuli High were to swap teams, I'd be thrilled. But really, we've been seeing some mean COVID-19 infection spikes here on Oahu. I heard there were like 27 infections yesterday. I mean, that is bad. No matter how I feel about Punahou School, who knows if there will be a high school football season? I heard a number of University of Texas football players have become infected, and I've also heard pro baseball might not be happening. I mean, this isn't just about me or about schools I don't like; it's bigger than all of us. At the high school level here, Mid-Pac Institute has already bowed-out from participating on Pac-Five's football team. Will another school here do the same? If more and more schools do, at some point the high school leagues will have to cancel the season. If we keep seeing scary COVID-19 numbers here, it might be unavoidable. What can I or anyone else say? COVID-19 is disrupting our lives big-time.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Everyone has to deal with it. For me, I notice I still get hungry in the morning,around noon, and in the evening.,every day that I am here. I have to work to pay those bills,and a lot of others. Do I get exposed when I go out to make a living ...yeah,I do. I do know that while I might have a 4 percent chance of dying from corona virus, I probably have a 100 percent chance of dying from starvation if I don't try to feed myself or my family.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 pm Everyone has to deal with it. For me, I notice I still get hungry in the morning,around noon, and in the evening.,every day that I am here. I have to work to pay those bills,and a lot of others. Do I get exposed when I go out to make a living ...yeah,I do. I do know that while I might have a 4 percent chance of dying from corona virus, I probably have a 100 percent chance of dying from starvation if I don't try to feed myself or my family.
@unpaid: I'm really pissed about this pandemic. It's not only screwing high-school sports; it's literally endangering our health and our lives. You can't see the darned virus, it's super-contagious, and you can have it without showing symptoms (which means you can spread to your family without even knowing it). I resent that it's waiting out there for all of us, like some kind of sick stalker. I'm asking God to please stop this darned thing.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Hs Football Fanatic,

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. It is my hope your prayers are answered in the affirmative.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 pm Hs Football Fanatic,

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. It is my hope your prayers are answered in the affirmative.
@unpaid: Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm a "righteous" man; I'm probably as bad a sinner as anyone else. Having said that, I think I spoke for most guys on this thread who are absolutely fed-up with this pandemic. I posted earlier that, if Punahou School is favored to win the state Open title, I'd just as soon see the season canceled due to COVID-19. As you mentioned, I did survive the two state titles Punahou School has won over the past ten or fifteen years, but they took a lot out of me. I was frustrated, discouraged, and out-of-sorts for several months. Even so, if God gave me two choices: End the pandemic but see Punahou School win the state Open title, or, continue the pandemic and see the football season canceled, I'd choose the former. As much as I don't care for Punahou School, this pandemic has killed or sickened too many people, and has caused the rest of us to live in fear. I'd hate to see the Puns win the state Open title, but at least life as we knew it would return. Unfortunately, God of course isn't giving any of us that choice; He's reserved it for Himself. Worse, at this point we don't know when or if this pandemic will end any time soon.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

https://www.maxpreps.com/games/9-19-202 ... &schoolid=

Maxpreps says Mater Dei is slated to take on St. Louis (that is if the 2020 season happens). Is there any confirmation that this is true? No disrespect, Genks, but I'd love to see Mater Dei take this one. One thing they've got in common with SLS is that both teams need new QBs. I've heard rumors that they've been grooming a junior-to-be (Mater Dei), but can he make their offense go as well as JT Daniels and Bryce Young did? If this game does happen, I'd pay to see it.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:14 am https://www.maxpreps.com/games/9-19-202 ... &schoolid=

Maxpreps says Mater Dei is slated to take on St. Louis (that is if the 2020 season happens). Is there any confirmation that this is true? No disrespect, Genks, but I'd love to see Mater Dei take this one. One thing they've got in common with SLS is that both teams need new QBs. I've heard rumors that they've been grooming a junior-to-be (Mater Dei), but can he make their offense go as well as JT Daniels and Bryce Young did? If this game does happen, I'd pay to see it.
@gopunahou: If I could jump-in here, I'm not sure St Louis wants to mess with Mater Dei this year. For the first time in years, St Louis doesn't have an outstanding QB lined-up. As such, I see them as being in a rebuilding year. There's an old saying that goes back to the late-'80s: "St Louis doesn't rebuild; they simply reload." But, in most of those years and clear up to last year, they always had a good QB. You've said in the past that you like Mater Dei High, and I'm sure genks is mature enough to understand and accept that you prefer them to St Louis School. But frankly, I think the Saints should try to wiggle-out of this game if at all possible. Given the way COVID-19 is hanging-around, the season might not even happen, and that might take care of the problem. These exhibition games against mainland schools are often inked years in advance. I think St Louis made the mistake of thinking that they'll always have a good QB. If the season does happen, St Louis will have its hands full trying to beat your alma mater; the last thing they want is to have to worry about a school like Mater Dei. There's also the ever-present specter of injuries. The last thing St Louis wants is to suffer a key injury/injuries in a game that doesn't even count.

Cmak1016
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Cmak1016 »

Every year the saying goes.. St. Louis will rebuild and Punahou will beat them. Ummm doesn’t happen. St. Louis is LOADED at QB. If you follow St. Louis, you know they have QBs in waiting. They may not be as powerful as last year, But they still the team to beat. Word is Kahuku is loaded this year also so we just have to wait and see.
Question is who transferred to Mililani this year?? Word is they will have a new QB also??
But hopefully their is a season!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Cmak1016 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 pm Every year the saying goes.. St. Louis will rebuild and Punahou will beat them. Ummm doesn’t happen. St. Louis is LOADED at QB. If you follow St. Louis, you know they have QBs in waiting. They may not be as powerful as last year, But they still the team to beat. Word is Kahuku is loaded this year also so we just have to wait and see.
Question is who transferred to Mililani this year?? Word is they will have a new QB also??
But hopefully their is a season!!
@Cmak1016: Welcome to the message-board. I don't care for Punahou School, so I like hearing that St Louis School will beat them. But, unpaid has Punahou ahead. You say St Louis is loaded at QB, but two guys on this thread say they aren't. You say they're the team to beat, and I sure hope you're right; I don't want the Puns taking State Open. And, yes, the season might not even happen due to COVID-19.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

gopunahou,

I don’t doubt St.Louis is on Mater Dei’s schedule in 2020,but there are reasons to doubt that the game happens. I haven’t found any media sources that have talked about Mater Dei canceling interstate games. However, there are multiple websites that have quoted St. John Bosco’s HFC Jason Negro and also a school spokeswoman to the result that SJB has canceled all of it’s interstate games. The Braves have been reduced to a 7-game schedule as it stands right now,and they are trying to find some more Cali schools to try and fill out their schedule before CIF playoffs. Mater Dei is in the same league as SJB and also plays a national non league schedule. Mater Dei might wind up canceling their interstate games too.

If Mater Dei doesn’t cancel,The HHSAA might because, Cali is a new hotspot currently with thousands of new cases daily. With Hawaii among the states of lowest reported new infections, why would Hawaii admins let the game happen?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Damien laid off most of its athletic staff. Shame, but must be cause of COVID.

At least Pac-Five will be better if there's sports this year

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Damien has had a history of head-scratching coaching changes. Of course, Klaneski can join us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!