2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by gopunahou »

University Ave wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:18 pm With the pandemic more than likely threatening the start of school and the fall sports season, I feel the best fix/compromise it to switch football to either the winter or spring sports seasons. It would give enough time for things to normalize and it would be a small adjustment to avoid cancelling a season. There might be some decisions for multi sport athletes to choose, but it’s better than losing your year. The state will make budget cuts and I really can’t see every sport being offered next school year anyway. Keep the sports that draw the biggest revenues to help replenish the funds and make adjustments.
I'd love to have football during winter. Although that would involve tons of sacrifices.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Kale Ane placed on leave? It's going to be weird not seeing him on the sideline if this is prolonged.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The governor of Louisiana has announced that high school football workouts can begin June 8. This follows an announcement by Indiana that their high schools can begin football workouts on July1. Saw this info on MaxPreps.

Maui News is reporting that Lahainaluna will be In D-I for football this fall after successfully petitioning the MIL to move up to D-I.

Chris Chun ,of the HHSAA, says administrators have agreed on a plan for fall sports with staggered start times. Football could open practice on Aug 17 with an 11 week schedule beginning with games in Sept. Other fall sports would start Aug 31. More in the StarAdvertiser.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HHSAA announced the plan in place to have football resume August 17 (Practice) & first games held the weekend of September 4 barring any major setbacks. They also announced the latest date for fall sports to resume October 19 if things get worst.

I take this as really good news with in mind if everything goes well or steady.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:59 pm HHSAA announced the plan in place to have football resume August 17 (Practice) & first games held the weekend of September 4 barring any major setbacks. They also announced the latest date for fall sports to resume October 19 if things get worst.

I was just going to post the article, but it’ll be like old times if it does start on September 4. The last weekend of August or first weekend of September used to be the starting dates of most seasons.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

gopunahou wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:08 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:59 pm HHSAA announced the plan in place to have football resume August 17 (Practice) & first games held the weekend of September 4 barring any major setbacks. They also announced the latest date for fall sports to resume October 19 if things get worst.

I was just going to post the article, but it’ll be like old times if it does start on September 4. The last weekend of August or first weekend of September used to be the starting dates of most seasons.
I actually like this format better. I like the late start for football. I also miss the state championship being in December too like the good ole days.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am
gopunahou wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:08 pm

I actually like this format better. I like the late start for football. I also miss the state championship being in December too like the good ole days.
@teamhawaii: What always creates apprehension for me is the dread that schools I dislike are going to do well. I like Kahuku High, so when they're expected to do well, I look forward to the season. Other schools, however, cause me to dread the upcoming season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Right now my niece is over, and she's watching Spectrum XCast. There's a replay of a girls' volleyball game between Farrington and Moanalua; the game was played at Farrington's gym. The reason I'm posting this is that there was a commercial by Leavitt, Yamane & Soldner, the legal firm. The commercial was about football concussions. Why that commercial played during a girls' volleyball game, I don't know. It looks like that legal firm was soliciting lawsuits about football concussions. I'm thinking, that could sink high school football in Hawaii.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

The girls' volleyball match on TV just ended. Moanalua won, 3-1. I don't know if any of you follow girls' volleyball. I suppose the match occurred back in November; that's girls' volleyball season, right?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Looks like the Pac-Five football team has one foot in the grave. Mid-Pac Institute said its students will not participate in football for the coming season--if there is one--because of COVID-19. Mid-Pac also said its students will not be allowed on the Pac-Five wrestling and competitive cheerleading teams. So, COVID-19 is screwing three of Pac-Five's teams.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:01 pm Looks like the Pac-Five football team has one foot in the grave. Mid-Pac Institute said its students will not participate in football for the coming season--if there is one--because of COVID-19. Mid-Pac also said its students will not be allowed on the Pac-Five wrestling and competitive cheerleading teams. So, COVID-19 is screwing three of Pac-Five's teams.
I’m trying to understand this move by Mid Pac but can’t.

We’re only in Mid June & and they’re cancelling 3 sports season before the ILH makes an announcement. It’s somewhat good for student athlete, so they can transfer.

Seems like a bush league move on behalf of Mid Pac. Looks like they’re is a bigger issue than what’s presented on paper.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:01 pm Looks like the Pac-Five football team has one foot in the grave. Mid-Pac Institute said its students will not participate in football for the coming season--if there is one--because of COVID-19. Mid-Pac also said its students will not be allowed on the Pac-Five wrestling and competitive cheerleading teams. So, COVID-19 is screwing three of Pac-Five's teams.
I’m trying to understand this move by Mid Pac but can’t.

We’re only in Mid June & and they’re cancelling 3 sports season before the ILH makes an announcement. It’s somewhat good for student athlete, so they can transfer.

Seems like a bush league move on behalf of Mid Pac. Looks like they’re is a bigger issue than what’s presented on paper.
@teamhawaii: I suspect Mid-Pac Institute doesn't want to get its butt sued by its students' parents. It's hard to say how badly Pac-Five's wrestling and competitive cheerleading teams will be screwed by Mid-Pac's refusal to participate, but Pac-Five's football team will really be screwed. That's because Pac-Five has always used Mid-Pac's field for practice. So, now Pac-Five's football team will have to find another place to practice.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

MaxPreps has released their preseason Top 100 for football.St.Louis,No. 38, and Punahou, No.98,are the only two Hawaii schools in the rank. The top three teams are IMG Academy FL at No.1,Mater Dei, Santa Ana CA at No.2, and St.John Bosco CA, at No.3. Bishop Gorman is No. 28, and Liberty is No. 60.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 am MaxPreps has released their preseason Top 100 for football.St.Louis,No. 38, and Punahou, No.98,are the only two Hawaii schools in the rank. The top three teams are IMG Academy FL at No.1,Mater Dei, Santa Ana CA at No.2, and St.John Bosco CA, at No.3. Bishop Gorman is No. 28, and Liberty is No. 60.
@unpaid: OK, earlier you had Punahou ranked #1 in Hawaii, ahead of St Louis. Why does MaxPreps have St Louis ranked so far ahead of Punahou? I'm hoping that your ranking is wrong, only because I don't care for Punahou School, and would really not want to see them win it all.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

I can't answer for MaxPreps. Go to the site and look at the team capsules in the Top 100 rank. You will notice that most of them take note of talent by name who are still in school. There are a minority of teams including St.Louis and Punahou where they don't mention any players at all. These schools,to me seem to be instances where they haven't done their homework. The St.Louis capsule just mentions the fact that Ron Lee and Cal Lee are still coaching.How does that prove they are going to win a 4-peat trophy? No players are mentioned at all. Same with Punahou only it's worse. They don't mention anyone by name...they just say that Punahou lost two games to St.Louis that they could have won .What kind of analysis is that?

If you go to my capsules, I hope at least I've given an evaluation of the talent level by mentioning Local all-stars and national recruits playing for for The Crusaders and Puns this fall rather than saying that what happened last year is gonna happen this year because The Lee brothers are still at St.Louis and Punahou lost close games to the Crusaders last year so that will happen again this year. St.Louis had 11 3-4 star players last year.Punahou had four. This year,St. Louis has one Punahou has two. St.Louis has to get a take charge guy at QB and they have to replace a lot of 3 and 4star receivers who will be playing in college now.Punahou has two 3-4 star LB's , 3 DB's with offers or all- star credentials,a returning QB who was a sensation as a freshman that has gotten several positive reviews from scouts in camp/combine settings,and an OL and WR with a college offer.

When you add it up....St.Louis lives by the pass and great defense. They have to replace a 3-4 star QB and at least four 3-4 star WR's with players who haven't shown that much yet.Punahou ,to me has more proven talent returning.

We will see.