2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid: I doubt that football will happen this school year, at least on Oahu. In an earlier post, I mentioned that a former Ohio State University assistant AD said he's certain that college football won't happen this school year, and that includes during the second semester. Well, last I heard, Hawaii had the highest COVID-19 transmission rate in the nation. Of course, most of that is occurring on Oahu. So, even if HHSAA would permit football on the outer islands, I can't see it happening on Oahu. I think there'll be no high school football on Oahu the entire school year. On Oahu, we had about 130 new cases two days ago, but that went up by over 100, to some 233 new cases yesterday. That was over a span of a single day. Honestly, I can't see the HHSAA or the DOE okaying football on Oahu this entire school year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I guess we will just have to wait for those air riflery results to start rolling in....umm,unless the governor shut down gun ranges too.Oh well !

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

t
unpaid wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:38 pm I guess we will just have to wait for those air riflery results to start rolling in....umm,unless the governor shut down gun ranges too.Oh well !
@unpaid: I hear you. This is what COVID-19 has done to high school sports, particularly on Oahu. Let's face it: Most football fans most certainly aren't air riflery fans. Air riflery isn't even a spectator sport; there aren't any bleachers at rifle ranges.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I must admit that I wake up and start scanning Utah websites for scores and game recaps on Saturday mornings since there are several Hawaii players who have transferred to Utah high schools for football. I hope they stay safe over there.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am updating the team capsules to reflect transfers and early graduates..oops wrong thread.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FOUR UH football players tested positive for COVID-19 a day or two ago. We can't subject high-school kids to that risk. NO high-school football this ENTIRE school year. Yes, a few other states are having high-school football. If those states want to subject kids to COVID-19, well, shame on THEM.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Alaska has cancelled high school football state playoffs due to a rise in COVID-19 cases state wide. The ASAA has also suspended indefinitely competition in four other sports. Alaska is the first state to get to state tournaments and they have called them off.

30+ other states are still playing football and other sports.It will be around two more weeks before the next group of states get to their football playoffs.

There is the possibility that there might be more states
to cancel Hs sports should COVID- 19 spike again as it is apparently doing in Alaska.
Last edited by unpaid on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I miss some aspects of HS football here and the fact that my team might not be winning. But neither are the teams I hate to see win. I always try to look on the bright side.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:31 am I miss some aspects of HS football here and the fact that my team might not be winning. But neither are the teams I hate to see win. I always try to look on the bright side.
@gopunahou: I'm assuming that the schools you hate to see win are Iolani School and St Louis School. Iolani because that's Punahou School's most bitter rival overall, and St Louis because that's Punahou's strongest rival in football. I hate to say this, gopunahou, but to me, the bright side is that high-school football isn't happening, at least not now. Why? Well, if it were happening, Punahou would probably take State Open. I mean, you know I dislike your alma mater. But, I think you understand by now--after some seven years on this website--that it's nothing personal against you. I may not like your alma mater, but I have nothing against you.