2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

2020 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

You guys heard about that crazy change at St Louis? Cal Lee stepped down to become DC, and Ron Lee stepped up to become HC. What's up with that?! What's also amazing is that Cal isn't retiring; looks like he's going to stick around for another season. Isn't he about 73? Well, I guess that's why he's stepping down to DC. Still, at his age, I'm surprised he's not hanging it up completely. Like, he graduated from Kalani High in 1964. Made all-star at LB. Crap, I was still in elementary school in 1964!

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:00 pm You guys heard about that crazy change at St Louis? Cal Lee stepped down to become DC, and Ron Lee stepped up to become HC. What's up with that?! What's also amazing is that Cal isn't retiring; looks like he's going to stick around for another season. Isn't he about 73? Well, I guess that's why he's stepping down to DC. Still, at his age, I'm surprised he's not hanging it up completely. Like, he graduated from Kalani High in 1964. Made all-star at LB. Crap, I was still in elementary school in 1964!
St. Louis is back to their national powerhouse. If I was Cal Lee I would coach as long as possible. The talent is deep all the way to Intermediate.

Other than that, It’s been relatively quiet offseason for HS Football. Haven’t heard of any out of state games or kids transferring either.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani plays Bishop Gorman on Friday,August 21,2020 per www.highschoolfootballamerica.com. The site has a page showing out of state contests that they update. The Trojans travel to Las Vegas for this game with the Gaels.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 am Mililani plays Bishop Gorman on Friday,August 21,2020 per www.highschoolfootballamerica.com. The site has a page showing out of state contests that they update. The Trojans travel to Las Vegas for this game with the Gaels.
@unpaid: Isn't Mililani tired of getting their teeth kicked-in? Seems they keep scheduling these tough mainland schools every year. I wouldn't play them unless they come here. The expense, logistics, and hassle of flying there are daunting. Let them do it.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Maybe Mililani's football program is trying to make their players the best they can be as players and men. Sure, they are getting their teeth kicked in now ,but stay the course and there is a payoff later. Liberty HS in Nevada is the example. Years ago,even before Mililani started scheduling SJB and Liberty, Liberty decided to start traveling out of state and start playing some Texas and Utah powerhouse programs.They were tired of getting drubbed By Bishop Gorman in the Nevada playoffs. The Patriots started playing top out of state competition to get the kids acclimated to elite competition. Ten years later,in 2019, Liberty beats Bishop Gorman and goes on to win the state Championsip in Nevada's highest classification.Now,believe me,they and every other Nevada school were tired of Gorman winning a decade worth of state titles in a row. The difference is that Liberty decided to play out of state teams that were on BG's level and took their lumps until they finally broke the Gaels Nevada championship streak. Good for them.

Mililani hasn't been at it as long as Liberty has,but York has been getting Gorman and St.John Bosco type programs on the schedule. The experience only helps the players.

Travel isn't one way. St.John Bosco came to Mililani last season. IIRC, Mililani had a home and home with Liberty recently.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid: Well, I know some guys want Hawaii schools to be "up there" with the national powerhouses. I guess for me, just aim to be the best in Hawaii. I guess that's because I really don't care how good those mainland schools are, being best in Hawaii is good enough for me. Frankly, I just don't care about mainland schools. As an Open school, Mililani is already playing the best schools in Hawaii, such as St Louis, Punahou, and Kahuku. Obviously, if that's not good enough for York, I respect that. But again, it's a financial and logistical nightmare to fly a team to the mainland. But, if York and the school think it's worth it, well, whatever floats their boat.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Hawaii 7on7 teams were in action this past weekend at the Pylon event dubbed "The Mecca" in Las Vegas. TMF and Rebel Squad were the Hawaii teams entered against Competition from WA,CA,etc.TMF made it to the semi's on Sunday's championship tournament ,losing to eventual champs TeamGrind. 247 sports has coverage if you're interested. Hawaii players who the writers thought performed well were ,

2023 LB Tausili Akana,Kamehameha
2023 QB John-Keawe Sagapolutele,Punahou
2022 WR Cole Pruett,Kahuku

Pylon has a 7on7 event scheduled to be held April 24-26,2020 at Mililani HS.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 am Mililani plays Bishop Gorman on Friday,August 21,2020 per www.highschoolfootballamerica.com. The site has a page showing out of state contests that they update. The Trojans travel to Las Vegas for this game with the Gaels.
Thanks for the update.

Kudos to Mililani for always stepping up to the challenge. This year’s Bishop Gorman team looks to be good. A lot better than last year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:03 am Hawaii 7on7 teams were in action this past weekend at the Pylon event dubbed "The Mecca" in Las Vegas. TMF and Rebel Squad were the Hawaii teams entered against Competition from WA,CA,etc.TMF made it to the semi's on Sunday's championship tournament ,losing to eventual champs TeamGrind. 247 sports has coverage if you're interested. Hawaii players who the writers thought performed well were ,

JK seems to be our best QB since Larry Tuileta (our best QB ever). Better than Nick Kapule and Hugh Brady. I’m hoping he can do the kind of things Tui did.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:53 pm
unpaid wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:03 am Hawaii 7on7 teams were in action this past weekend at the Pylon event dubbed "The Mecca" in Las Vegas. TMF and Rebel Squad were the Hawaii teams entered against Competition from WA,CA,etc.TMF made it to the semi's on Sunday's championship tournament ,losing to eventual champs TeamGrind. 247 sports has coverage if you're interested. Hawaii players who the writers thought performed well were ,

JK seems to be our best QB since Larry Tuileta (our best QB ever). Better than Nick Kapule and Hugh Brady. I’m hoping he can do the kind of things Tui did.
@gopunahou: What about Darryl Gabriel, from the late-'70s?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 pm

He was good, but he’s in the same class as Shawn Akina (RIP), Makaena Puli, Jimmy Bennett, Noah King, John Morris, and Cayman Shutter.

Tuileta won 3 ILH titles and a state championship. It’s still disheartening that he struggled in college, although the fact that volleyball is his main sport contributed to that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:04 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 pm
He was good, but he’s in the same class as Shawn Akina (RIP), Makaena Puli, Jimmy Bennett, Noah King, John Morris, and Cayman Shutter.

Tuileta won 3 ILH titles and a state championship. It’s still disheartening that he struggled in college, although the fact that volleyball is his main sport contributed to that.
@gopunahou: Well, I'm glad Tuileta transferred to UH. I dislike Punahou School, as you know. But when a Punahou graduate attends UH, I see him or her in a different light, as I am a UH alumnus. I then see him or her as a fellow Rainbow. "Rainbow for life."

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

Funny how you didn’t mention Ephraim Tuliloa. I thought he was better than both Kapule & Brady.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:00 pm You guys heard about that crazy change at St Louis? Cal Lee stepped down to become DC, and Ron Lee stepped up to become HC. What's up with that?! What's also amazing is that Cal isn't retiring; looks like he's going to stick around for another season. Isn't he about 73? Well, I guess that's why he's stepping down to DC. Still, at his age, I'm surprised he's not hanging it up completely. Like, he graduated from Kalani High in 1964. Made all-star at LB. Crap, I was still in elementary school in 1964!
St. Louis is back to their national powerhouse. If I was Cal Lee I would coach as long as possible. The talent is deep all the way to Intermediate.

Other than that, It’s been relatively quiet offseason for HS Football. Haven’t heard of any out of state games or kids transferring either.
@teamhawaii: Cal may want to coach as long as possible, but how long? He's 73 or 74 already. I guess to quit coaching is a lot like quitting driving; how do you know when? I'd imagine Cal might have a lot of angst over it. Our bodies aren't equipped with a flashing red light that tells us it's time. At what point is it no longer worth it? At what point does it just become a little too much? That's something only Cal can decide. I wish he had been HC at his alma mater, Kalani, all these years. When did he start? Early-1980s? Late-1970s? All the years since, Kalani needed him more than St Louis. I wish he had said, "Well, there isn't as much talent at Kalani, but I want to coach the school I played for. I wore their jersey; I strapped-on their helmet. I belong at that school." (Of course, we know that he was an AC at Kalani a few years.) I doubt that he would have had any trouble getting the HC position there. I would imagine any school would hire him at the drop of a hat; his reputation as a coach precedes him. I understand he didn't do too well his first two or three years, but he really started making a name for himself from the '83 season onward.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:00 pm

@teamhawaii: Cal may want to coach as long as possible, but how long? He's 73 or 74 already. I guess to quit coaching is a lot like quitting driving; how do you know when? I'd imagine Cal might have a lot of angst over it. Our bodies aren't equipped with a flashing red light that tells us it's time. At what point is it no longer worth it? At what point does it just become a little too much? That's something only Cal can decide. I wish he had been HC at his alma mater, Kalani, all these years. When did he start? Early-1980s? Late-1970s? All the years since, Kalani needed him more than St Louis. I wish he had said, "Well, there isn't as much talent at Kalani, but I want to coach the school I played for. I wore their jersey; I strapped-on their helmet. I belong at that school." (Of course, we know that he was an AC at Kalani a few years.) I doubt that he would have had any trouble getting the HC position there. I would imagine any school would hire him at the drop of a hat; his reputation as a coach precedes him. I understand he didn't do too well his first two or three years, but he really started making a name for himself from the '83 season onward.
Kamehameha, UH, and the 49ers all tried to hire him away in the late 80s and all of the 90s.