2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by unpaid »

2022 QB AJ Bianco,St.Louis is competing this weekend at the Elite 11 QB stop in SoCal. QB'S from California and Arizona are competing to get a invite to the Finals a few months from now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

OK, I'm assuming you guys heard that coronavirus is here, on Oahu, as of this morning. Ain't that the friggin' pits? Let's hope it doesn't lead to the cancellation of games or even full seasons, or the closing of schools. In Japan, some schools are closing-down for a month. As of today, Damien School is not allowing any fans in its gym for boys' volleyball games. Only players, coaches, and managers of the two schools' teams will be allowed. So, coronavirus is already having an effect on high school sports here on Oahu. Ain't that the darned pits. Let's hope coronavirus ain't gonna start killing people here.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Update: Now it's not only Japan that's closing schools. Washington (state) and California are now also closing some schools. If that should happen here in Hawaii, closed schools = no high school sports. Wouldn't that suck.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Well, our worst fears have come to pass: I'm sure you guys heard that all high school sports in the state are being suspended indefinitely as of Monday, March 16. This applies to all leagues. Doesn't that suck? This coronavirus crap is threatening to bring life to a near-standstill. It's a waking nightmare.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Let’s hope we have a handle on this by next school year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:31 pm Let’s hope we have a handle on this by next school year.
@EITSwarrior: Let's hope there'll be a next school year. This coronavirus pandemic is taking-on almost end-of-the-world proportions, it seems. My understanding is that the HHSAA might restart sports, depending on how well coronavirus is being contained. To me, if the DOE doesn't cancel school, then the HHSAA should reinstate sports immediately. If school is in session, the HHSAA has no leg to stand on to continue the ban on sports. I don't think it would make sense. I mean, the kids are being exposed to each other in classrooms, the cafetorium during lunch, etc. All of that is just as risky, if not more so, then having schools' kids play each other in sports. If (public) schools resume as normal on March 23, then I think the HHSAA should allow sports to resume that same day, for public and private schools.

Two schools have made somewhat drastic moves in response to coronavirus: Last Saturday, Damien School said no fans would be allowed in its gym for boys' volleyball games. Yesterday, Kamehameha Schools "indefinitely postponed" its annual Song Contest. It would have been the 100th anniversary of the Song Contest this year. The school said it was "exploring other possibilities." On TV news, some Kamehameha students were lamenting the cancellation.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If spring sports don’t resume (which is a strong possibility), I feel for the seniors who are playing spring sports. Once they graduate, that’s it. The HHSAA won’t let those kids play another year (unlike the NCAA, which’ll likely let seniors who are playing spring sports play another year).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 am If spring sports don’t resume (which is a strong possibility), I feel for the seniors who are playing spring sports. Once they graduate, that’s it. The HHSAA won’t let those kids play another year (unlike the NCAA, which’ll likely let seniors who are playing spring sports play another year).
@gopunahou: Well, unless school is cancelled, I don't see why sports shouldn't be reinstated. Let's take your alma mater, for example, though one can substitute any other school, and reach the same conclusion. If Punahou School is back in session after Spring break, the students will be with each other, in close quarters, in an enclosed classroom. There might be 25 students or more in each period. At lunch, a large number of students will be with each other in another enclosed building, the cafetorium. Under such conditions, the students are more likely to contract coronavirus than during sports. So, if school is in session, sports should be reinstated. Athletic competition would be no riskier than classes and lunch. By the way, I think Kamehameha's vars baseball team would like another crack at your alma mater. Yesterday, Kamehameha was up 9-8 in the last inning, and their ace--Jayven Pimental--had pitched a pretty good game sporting an 89-mph fastball, some breaking stuff, and 5 Ks, but was pulled after 4 innings. But, Punahou scored 5 runs in the last inning to win, 13-9. The Kamehameha reliever, Casey Kitagawa, took the loss. I have to believe ace Pimental, the rest of the team, and Kamehameha alumni are pissed, as if Punahou had stolen the game. After all, they were just 3 outs away from victory. I'm sure they're aching for another crack at Punahou, try to make 'em pay. If sports are reinstated, I suspect the Kamehameha baseball team will be loaded for bear when they play Punahou again. It's like that late scene in the '04 movie, "Kill Bill," when Uma Thurman (Kamehameha) calmly but maliciously tells David Carradine (Punahou), "You and I have unfinished business."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Newsflash: It was announced today that Spring break for public schools will be extended by one week due to the coronavirus crisis. So, public school students will not report back until March 30, as opposed to the normal March 23 date. Don't know about private schools. So, it seems sports definitely will not resume until at least March 30, if even then.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

2022 LB Tevarua Tafiti,Punahou received a blue-chip four star rating from 247sports in their expanded ranking for rising junior football players.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Some people are already saying that there won't be NFL and CFB seasons, which makes me think the same will hold true for HS FB. Oh well, if there isn't a HS FB season, at least Iolani and St. Louis won't win state titles. :D :D :D
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

NFL and NCAACF teams constantly travel out of state for games.That is why they may not start on time. The NFL is keeping OTA's virtual until lockdowns are removed in all 50 states.Schools in the Power 5 are mostly having virtual summer semesters,so fall camps will probably be delayed,which in turn will delay the NCAA season.

Most Hawaii high schools don't play any out of state opponents this year.The few 2020 interstate games that have been agreed on probably get canceled by mutual agreement, since each state will be in it's own place on the infection curve.

So, the real determining factor for local fall sports is going to be how well mitigation works in Hawaii.At the worst,we let the foot off the pedal,and cases spike again in the summer and that probably cancels fall sports. At the best,we continue mitigation and physical distancing now,flatten the curve ,bend it down slowly to zero and maybe start fall sports a few weeks to a month late.I feel that there will be fall sports, interstate games will be canceled,and the season may be shortened. If the virus is seasonal,it could come back around state tournament time.Might be a chance of no official state champs this fall.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Out of state games will most likely be cancelled or rescheduled.

I honestly see the Football season with a delayed start this year unless things get back to normal around June which is unlikely. I can also see a shortened season probably beginning at the end of September but even with that, I'm being really optimistic. In the unlikely case that this doesn't get better, football along with Fall sports might be cancelled.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

teamhawaii wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:05 pm Out of state games will most likely be cancelled or rescheduled.

I honestly see the Football season with a delayed start this year unless things get back to normal around June which is unlikely. I can also see a shortened season probably beginning at the end of September but even with that, I'm being really optimistic. In the unlikely case that this doesn't get better, football along with Fall sports might be cancelled.
If the season does indeed start in September, it’ll be like old times again.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

With the pandemic more than likely threatening the start of school and the fall sports season, I feel the best fix/compromise it to switch football to either the winter or spring sports seasons. It would give enough time for things to normalize and it would be a small adjustment to avoid cancelling a season. There might be some decisions for multi sport athletes to choose, but it’s better than losing your year. The state will make budget cuts and I really can’t see every sport being offered next school year anyway. Keep the sports that draw the biggest revenues to help replenish the funds and make adjustments.