2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou: Really? Tuileta was the best QB ever? Was he that good? OK; you're a Punahou alumnus; you should know. I mean, if we go back only, say, the past 45 years of Punahou QBs, that's saying a lot. How about that Kan kid, the one who played around 2005 or so?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm @gopunahou: Really? Tuileta was the best QB ever? Was he that good? OK; you're a Punahou alumnus; you should know. I mean, if we go back only, say, the past 45 years of Punahou QBs, that's saying a lot. How about that Kan kid, the one who played around 2005 or so?
Tuileta won ILH championships in all three years he played on the varsity and capped his career with a state championship. He also had great statistical junior and senior seasons.

The knock on him is that he played with great skill position players such as Steven Lakalaka, Ryan Tuiasoa, Dakota Torres, Kanawai Noa, and Wayne Taulapapa. But his accomplishments are impeccable. He also could’ve been a great running threat but didn’t need to because of the plethora of weapons that surrounded him. If anything, having as many weapons as Tui did limited his chances of proving that he was an all-around great QB. But he might’ve been the most mobile QB we’ve ever had, although that could change with JK.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: OK; sounds like St Louis will have its hands full dealing with your alma mater this coming season. But, since Punahou is in Open, they can't overlook Kahuku. I'm sure Kahuku wants to get its licks in against Punahou, and Kahuku had that good JV last season. Another school Punahou can't overlook is Mililani. Their JV was just as good as Kahuku's, and they have QB Agbayani returning (though he's not as good as Sagapolutele). I'm sure that having been edged by by just 3 points the last time the two schools met, Mililani feels they have unfinished business with Punahou. I'm thinking of the '04 movie, "Kill Bill." Near the end of the movie, Uma Thurman calmly but maliciously tells David Carradine, "You and I have unfinished business." They then engage in a kick-butt sword fight. Thurman kicks Carradine's butt with the "five-point palm exploding-heart technique," which doesn't involve the use of her sword. Think of Thurman as Mililani, and Carradine as Punahou. But, it doesn't seem certain that Mililani will kick Punahou's butt at all.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Tuileta was good and you can’t doubt his accomplishments. However, he was fortunate he played in an era when Cal Lee was at UH. Once Cal went back to St. Louis Punahou has struggled to beat them. When Cal was at UH, Punahou was the king of the ILH for @5 years.

One of the best Punahou qbs I recall is Daryl Gabriel, Dillon’ uncle. He was a really good. Didn’t win a state championship but was a really good player. Runs in that family’s genes.

I don’t think Punahou will give St Louis much competition next season because their program is in decline. Their jv team 2 years ago only had 24 players compared to St. Louis’s 90 players. Punahou’s intermediate team this year struggled to win games and St Louis was dominating. We’ll see what happens, but that’s my gut instinct.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’d hate to see us go back to our 1997-2004 position and don’t think that’ll happen. On the subject of intermediate results, we had some good intermediate teams in the early 2000s but only experienced two winning seasons with the class of 2006 (the group that helped us snap St. Louis long streak of ILH titles). 2005 was the only year we won the ILH with kids who played on our 2002 intermediate championship team.

And if we are in decline, the rumor is that Mililani is, too. A lot of kids who don’t live in Mililani (but played for them) are coming home.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:20 pm Tuileta was good and you can’t doubt his accomplishments. However, he was fortunate he played in an era when Cal Lee was at UH. Once Cal went back to St. Louis Punahou has struggled to beat them. When Cal was at UH, Punahou was the king of the ILH for @5 years.

One of the best Punahou qbs I recall is Daryl Gabriel, Dillon’ uncle. He was a really good. Didn’t win a state championship but was a really good player. Runs in that family’s genes.

I don’t think Punahou will give St Louis much competition next season because their program is in decline. Their jv team 2 years ago only had 24 players compared to St. Louis’s 90 players. Punahou’s intermediate team this year struggled to win games and St Louis was dominating. We’ll see what happens, but that’s my gut instinct.
@Hooper: Thanks for your post. It is music to my ears when someone says Punahou School is in decline, in any sport. (Sorry, gopunahou.) However, I suspect that Punahou's vars is primed enough to either take ILH D1, or give St Louis a mean rub for it. I mean, look at the returnees Punahou will have. So, Punahou might start to suck after the upcoming season, but I have a bad feeling that they'll still be good for the upcoming season.

Regarding Gabriel, yeah, in an earlier post I offered him to gopunahou as one of the greatest Punahou QBs, but he wasn't particularly impressed. Apparently he thinks Tuileta and Sagapolutele would kick Gabriel's butt.

(Please note that I made an edit: I changed "Tuitele" to "Tuileta." I confused Tuileta with the St Louis DL, Faa Tuitele. Note how similar those last names are.)
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 pm I’d hate to see us go back to our 1997-2004 position and don’t think that’ll happen. On the subject of intermediate results, we had some good intermediate teams in the early 2000s but only experienced two winning seasons with the class of 2006 (the group that helped us snap St. Louis long streak of ILH titles). 2005 was the only year we won the ILH with kids who played on our 2002 intermediate championship team.

And if we are in decline, the rumor is that Mililani is, too. A lot of kids who don’t live in Mililani (but played for them) are coming home.
@gopunahou: Wow, Mililani might be in decline? I hadn't heard that. Well, York must be pissed about it. But, they had a pretty good JV this past season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hey, all: Today's paper said the OIA and ILH will continue to play each other this upcoming football season. So, Open survives, too. An interesting change in Open is that Leilehua will be in it. That's the only D1 school in either league that had the gonads to step-up to Open; kudos to Leilehua High for having courage.
Also, Nelson Maeda will be the Kalaheo HC this upcoming season. He was Castle HC for the longest time, then quit quite abruptly several years ago.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Darryl Gabriel did have something in common with Tui—football was his second sport.

Anyway, I can’t imagine us declining between 2020 and 2022 (the year JK will be a senior).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:41 pm Darryl Gabriel did have something in common with Tui—football was his second sport.

Anyway, I can’t imagine us declining between 2020 and 2022 (the year JK will be a senior).
@gopunahou: Yes, if I recall correctly, basketball was Gabriel's main sport.

As for Punahou football entering a decline, well, for one thing, I can't understand how Punahou School could not have a JV. I mean, that sucks. Over the past decade or so, I recall that Kaimuki High and McKinley High didn't have JV for a spell. But Punahou School? That's very disturbing. How is it that the Puns can't scrape-together a JV? Is Punahou's enrollment too small? No way. Are kids simply not turning-out for JV? If so, why? I recall one guy posted months ago that Punahou School is in fact on a talent slide, and that that slide is beginning to manifest itself in the Puns not being able to field a JV. I mean, that's shocking. If you look at all the schools that haven't/don't have a JV, their enrollment is relatively small. There's no way Punahou's enrollment is as small as that of Kaimuki, McKinley, Iolani, Damien, etc. Something simply isn't well at Punahou School. (Well, in McKinley High's case, I don't think their enrollment is that small, though it is smaller than it was in, say, the late-'70s. In McKinley's case, I think players simply aren't turning-out for JV, for whatever reason.) Seeing as JV consists mostly of freshmen and sophomores, I think underclassmen at Punahou and McKinley are failing those two schools. I mean, that's about the size of it. I think juniors and seniors at those two schools have a right to be disgusted about it. If a school has adequate enrollment, then kids at that school all need to do their part in carrying the school's name and representing the school at various levels of athletic competition. Freshmen and sophomores shouldn't be shirking this responsibility. You don't have to win a championship, but at least have a team. Of course, participation in sports isn't mandatory, but enough kids should man-up and step-up for the school's sake.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS FB Fanatic, too bad you didn’t follow us between 1997 and 2001. We had no JV team and fielded at best 60 players during those years. We also had less D1 prospects than Iolani, which had a winning record against us. Of course, that’s when Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki played for them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:54 pm HS FB Fanatic, too bad you didn’t follow us between 1997 and 2001. We had no JV team and fielded at best 60 players during those years. We also had less D1 prospects than Iolani, which had a winning record against us. Of course, that’s when Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki played for them.
@gopunahou: Well, I am absolutely shocked that Punahou had no JV those years, too. I mean, back then, didn't low-enrollment Iolani have a JV? And, 60 players, well, that's not too few; a school needs only 11 players at a time. I know there were years when the Punahou vars had like 90 players. Of course, Igber and Mateaki were blue-chip players, but Punahou had its share of blue-chip players over the years, too. I mean, if a school can field 60 players--with some blue-chippers mixed-in--they can do damage. No matter what level of enrollment a school has, if it can muster about 60 players, and be lucky enough to land a few blue-chippers, the sky could be the limit. To me, that's the beauty of it. Even small schools can hope to shine sometimes.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:14 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:54 pm HS FB Fanatic, too bad you didn’t follow us between 1997 and 2001. We had no JV team and fielded at best 60 players during those years. We also had less D1 prospects than Iolani, which had a winning record against us. Of course, that’s when Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki played for them.
@gopunahou: Well, I am absolutely shocked that Punahou had no JV those years, too. I mean, back then, didn't low-enrollment Iolani have a JV? And, 60 players, well, that's not too few. I know there were years when the Punahou vars had like 90 players. Of course, Igber and Mateaki were blue-chip players, but Punahou had its share of blue-chip players over the years, too. I mean, if a school can field 60 players--with some blue-chippers mixed-in--they can do damage. No matter what level of enrollment a school has, if it can muster about 60 players, and be lucky enough to land a few blue-chippers, the sky could be the limit. To me, that's the beauty of it. Even small schools can hope to shine sometimes.
We had a bunch of solid players, along with studs like Keola Ane and Dane Uperesa, but Iolani gave us fits with the likes of Matt Wright, Igber, Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, and Donny. Hell, they beat some strong Kamehameha teams in 1997 and ‘98 and almost beat them in 1999 (the same Kamehameha team that clobbered St. Louis in week 10 and might’ve been one of the best to never win the ILH or state title).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:17 pm
@gopunahou: Well, I am absolutely shocked that Punahou had no JV those years, too. I mean, back then, didn't low-enrollment Iolani have a JV? And, 60 players, well, that's not too few. I know there were years when the Punahou vars had like 90 players. Of course, Igber and Mateaki were blue-chip players, but Punahou had its share of blue-chip players over the years, too. I mean, if a school can field 60 players--with some blue-chippers mixed-in--they can do damage. No matter what level of enrollment a school has, if it can muster about 60 players, and be lucky enough to land a few blue-chippers, the sky could be the limit. To me, that's the beauty of it. Even small schools can hope to shine sometimes.
We had a bunch of solid players, along with studs like Keola Ane and Dane Uperesa, but Iolani gave us fits with the likes of Matt Wright, Igber, Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, and Donny. Hell, they beat some strong Kamehameha teams in 1997 and ‘98 and almost beat them in 1999 (the same Kamehameha team that clobbered St. Louis in week 10 and might’ve been one of the best to never win the ILH or state title).
@gopunahou: Well, isn't that the thing about high school football. Again, even a small school like Iolani can be David, and slay Goliath schools like Punahou and Kamehameha. I think it's all about a school being able to assemble a critical mass of, say, 60 players with a few blue-chippers mixed-in. Then, that school's enrollment doesn't matter, right?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:17 pm

@gopunahou: Well, isn't that the thing about high school football. Again, even a small school like Iolani can be David, and slay Goliath schools like Punahou and Kamehameha. I think it's all about a school being able to assemble a critical mass of, say, 60 players with a few blue-chippers mixed-in. Then, that school's enrollment doesn't matter, right?
Even though they didn’t win a single ILH title, one can suggest that the 90s were the pinnacle of Iolani football. Some Iolani graduates say that they should’ve won the ILH and maybe Prep Bowl in 1993, being that they tied with us, St. Louis, and Kamehameha for the best record. They also had some great seasons with Igber.

Of course, we can also claim that the 90s was one of our high points, being that we had guys like Jason Ching, Tafiti Uso, Mike Souza, Donny Utu, and Makaena Puli, almost beat St. Louis in 1994 (some say that was SLS’s greatest team ever with George Ornellas, Chris Fuamatu-Maafala, Olin Kreutz, and Darnell Arceneaux), and beat them in 1995, achieving a national ranking in the process.