Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hooper wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm I don’t know the reason Kahuku hasn’t been invited back, but I do know some coaches weren’t happy with the way Fotu showed up the week of the Iolani Classic and then left Kahuku right after the basketball season was over. The coaches I know thought this wasn’t right, but they didn’t want to complain because they didn’t want to look like whiners and sore losers. They all said it would have been fine if Fotu was at the school for the entire school year rather than just the basketball season. There weren’t complaints about Tolu because he did stay for the whole school.

Again, I don’t know the real reason for not being invited back but the way Fotu came in rubbed people the wrong way.
@Hooper: Well, through it all, at least Kahuku is ranked (#9 in the scoringlive poll). Iolani isn't even ranked, which is quite a shocker. When was the last time Iolani wasn't ranked (in the Top Ten)? And, as I mentioned in my last post, Iolani got their butts kicked by St Louis, losing by 24. I mean, this looks like a nightmare year for Iolani's boys' team.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Iolani is going to struggle for a couple of years, which is why I think Shimamoto stepped down. They do have an amazing 7th grader that will be one of the top players in the state in a couple of years. However, unless they get a couple of bigs, they will continue to struggle.

As for St. Louis, their preseason record is horrible because their football team played that extra game on the mainland. Now that the football players are getting in basketball shape and they’re adjusting to their new coaches system, they will do much better. The hard part for them is that the ILH has a lot of good competition.

Iolani will struggle, but I’m sure Hirata will make the most of what he has.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 pm Iolani is going to struggle for a couple of years, which is why I think Shimamoto stepped down. They do have an amazing 7th grader that will be one of the top players in the state in a couple of years. However, unless they get a couple of bigs, they will continue to struggle.

As for St. Louis, their preseason record is horrible because their football team played that extra game on the mainland. Now that the football players are getting in basketball shape and they’re adjusting to their new coaches system, they will do much better. The hard part for them is that the ILH has a lot of good competition.

Iolani will struggle, but I’m sure Hirata will make the most of what he has.
@Hooper: Yeah, what a difference St Louis' football players have made. Like, one game the basketball team scored fewer than 20 points total. Now that the football players have made their way to the basketball team, look what they did to Iolani. I'm surprised St Louis isn't ranked. Tonight they play Damien, which is ranked. The game is at St Louis' gym, so the Monarchs are going to invade the Saints' house, and I don't think it will be easy for the Saints to defend their house. I suspect there'll be a good crowd, as Damien School and St Louis School have been bitter rivals for at least 40 years. And, this year both schools have good teams. I don't think St Louis will have as easy a time with Damien as they had with Iolani.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Either Kamehameha is the real deal or our performance against Damien is an anomaly.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm Either Kamehameha is the real deal or our performance against Damien is an anomaly.
@gopunahou: Well, Kamehameha is the real deal; they're ranked #1. But, Punahou is better than the final score showed; they just had a cold 3rd qrtr. That's when Kamehameha got their separation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Big news: In girls' basketball, Maryknoll beat Iolani last night, 55-51. That is huge. That's like Kahuku beating St Louis in football. Iolani's girls basketball team and St Louis' football team were both ranked #1 in their respective sports. And, like St Louis football, Iolani girls' basketball was undefeated against Hawaii schools, until last night.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

St Louis edged Damien last night, 58-57. If you go by the polls, that was an upset. scoringlive had Damien ranked #4, while St Louis was unranked. Apparently, the recent addition of football players to St Louis' team made a huge difference. You had some idea when St Louis beat Iolani, 53-29. I mean, Iolani isn't as good this year as they usually are, but they don't exactly suck. For St Louis to beat them by 24 points, you know the Saints are now for real. Tonight, Kamehameha plays St Louis, and the game is at St Louis' gym. So tonight, it will be the Warriors who will invade the Saints' house. The Warriors had better be ready; the fact that the Saints beat the #4 Monarchs is a warning. I think it's safe to assume that when the new poll comes-out next Tuesday, St Louis will be ranked.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Robbie Sauvao back at Kahuku. After beating Moanalua and Kalaheo, Red Raiders look to move up at least to #5. Right now Akana has the team running more efficient. Naz is right
If Akana was coaching a ILH team, with his recruiting ability and coaching, nothing impossible.
He has inside track of the next level and at this point had produced more Division 1 prospects these last few years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:19 pm Robbie Sauvao back at Kahuku. After beating Moanalua and Kalaheo, Red Raiders look to move up at least to #5. Right now Akana has the team running more efficient. Naz is right
If Akana was coaching a ILH team, with his recruiting ability and coaching, nothing impossible.
He has inside track of the next level and at this point had produced more Division 1 prospects these last few years.
@Markeke: I had Kalaheo pegged as the top school in the OIA; now that Kahuku beat them, I guess that makes Kahuku the top school. Of course, that doesn't mean Kahuku will be OIA champ; they needed OT to beat Kalaheo. Obviously, if Kalaheo happened to be 1 point ahead at the regulation buzzer, they would have won. But at least it can be said that Kahuku has a chance to be OIA champ. They won't take States, though; not with ILH schools like Damien, St Louis, Punahou, Maryknoll, and Kamehameha. Kamehameha and Maryknoll, in particular, would make it almost impossible for Kahuku to even get to the title game.

As for your prediction about Kahuku getting ranked #5, I think they should be #6, behind the five ILH schools mentioned above. I don't think Kahuku could beat any of them. I know they beat St Louis in preseason, but St Louis is a much better team now, with the addition of the football players.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Only three teams from the ILH can play in states.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 pm Only three teams from the ILH can play in states.
@gopunahou: Yes, I know. What I meant was that any three of those five ILH schools (including your alma mater) could possibly make States. Yes, even though Punahou was murdered by Kamehameha by 18 points, Punahou is ranked #3 for a reason; any school can have a bad quarter. Even #1 Kamehameha isn't necessarily a lock; they beat Maryknoll by only 3 and Damien by, like, 5, I think. Meanwhile, note that Kahuku knocked-off Kalaheo, which I thought was the top school in the OIA. The lesson is, if you're ranked, you have to bring your A-game when you play any other ranked school. If you don't, you might get yourself beat. It's just as simple as that. In fact, you have to bring your A-game even when you're playing an unranked school sometimes. At the moment, St Louis isn't ranked by scoringlive. Yet, St Louis murdered Iolani by 24 and tipped Damien by 1. Damien is ranked. It's a jungle out there on the hardwood.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Markeke wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:19 pm Robbie Sauvao back at Kahuku. After beating Moanalua and Kalaheo, Red Raiders look to move up at least to #5. Right now Akana has the team running more efficient. Naz is right
I was at that Kahuku-Kalaheo game. I was amazed at how well Kahuku shot from 3-point range and the fact that they shot well from the free throw line. They went like 9-9 free throws in OT. Kalaheo decided to hold the ball with like 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and it was garbage. With 4 seconds left, Sauvao stole the ball and had a chance to win on a lay-up but missed. Either way, Kahuku pulled it out. Either way, Cheng is a valuable piece for them, but he is definitely not the premiere guy on the team like Paul Honda's articles made him out to be. I doubt any of the D2 schools in the state would be interested in him.

But in regards to Akana, he has definitely brought 4 of the 5 D1 prospects going back to 2016 to Hawai'i. I wouldn't say he produced them, they moreso just transferred in already as D1 caliber guys. But I can see why players come to him he is a player's coach and allows them to play to their strengths. I know I would love to have played for a coach like Akana. He was a great guard for BYU-Hawai'i in his day. The fact that other coaches ice him from winning the coach of the year awards to me just goes to show that they acknowledge he is a brilliant coach who is probably better connected than all of them combined. Give him an ILH opportunity where he can offer "financial assistance" and its a wrap.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:49 am
I was at that Kahuku-Kalaheo game. I was amazed at how well Kahuku shot from 3-point range and the fact that they shot well from the free throw line. They went like 9-9 free throws in OT. Kalaheo decided to hold the ball with like 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and it was garbage. With 4 seconds left, Sauvao stole the ball and had a chance to win on a lay-up but missed. Either way, Kahuku pulled it out. Either way, Cheng is a valuable piece for them, but he is definitely not the premiere guy on the team like Paul Honda's articles made him out to be. I doubt any of the D2 schools in the state would be interested in him.

But in regards to Akana, he has definitely brought 4 of the 5 D1 prospects going back to 2016 to Hawai'i. I wouldn't say he produced them, they moreso just transferred in already as D1 caliber guys. But I can see why players come to him he is a player's coach and allows them to play to their strengths. I know I would love to have played for a coach like Akana. He was a great guard for BYU-Hawai'i in his day. The fact that other coaches ice him from winning the coach of the year awards to me just goes to show that they acknowledge he is a brilliant coach who is probably better connected than all of them combined. Give him an ILH opportunity where he can offer "financial assistance" and its a wrap.
@Naz: Wow. For Kahuku to go 9-for-9 from the charity stripe, is outstanding. I mean, even if they went 4-for-4, that's good. But 9-for-9? Holy crap. And, you said they shot the treys well? Do you think they could knock-off a school in the ILH Top 5? If Kahuku keeps cashing-in free throws like that, who knows. And, I for one would prefer to see Akana stay where he is; ILH schools have enough advantages as it is. Further, if the other coaches refuse to vote him Coach-of-the-Year just because they envy him and/or resent his ability, well, that says a lot more about them than it does about him, doesn't it?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well Coach Akana has division 1 college experience and in a tight game, I would choose a strategist like Akana over any coach. Sauvao back adds experience and a game tested athlete on the team. In retrospect, Sauvao should have quarterbacked the football team. Just saying he had more experience and made quicker decisions. But back to BB, now that the team has made adjustments, time to train harder and visualize coaches methods.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:18 pm Well Coach Akana has division 1 college experience and in a tight game, I would choose a strategist like Akana over any coach. Sauvao back adds experience and a game tested athlete on the team. In retrospect, Sauvao should have quarterbacked the football team. Just saying he had more experience and made quicker decisions. But back to BB, now that the team has made adjustments, time to train harder and visualize coaches methods.
@Markeke:
Well, I'll be darned. You were right after all; scoringlive has Kahuku ranked #5 this week! Amazing. I knew they'd move up, but not that high. What also surprised me is that scoringlive has Waiakea at #4. What's up with that? I could see #10, but not #4.