Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:14 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:51 pm
Naz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:39 pm

This must not have helped Kahuku's invitation prospects either....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU64ykcZkog
Yeah, makes sense lol. Heated competition, it all adds up. Than again, it’s their tournament they can invite whoever they want.
@teamhawaii: Well, both schools have strong fan-support. Kahuku fans are probably more rowdy, but I wouldn't say they're habitually out-of-control or something. I don't think there's any school on this island whose fans are so bad that the school is on some kind of unofficial blacklist. When school tournaments are scheduled, I don't think ADs and coaches sit-around and say don't invite this or that school, their fans suck.
I don't think any school's fans are bad enough that anyone would say that.
Watch the video. It has nothing to do with the fans but more so beef with Akana & the Iolani Coach

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:14 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Yeah, makes sense lol. Heated competition, it all adds up. Than again, it’s their tournament they can invite whoever they want.
@teamhawaii: Well, both schools have strong fan-support. Kahuku fans are probably more rowdy, but I wouldn't say they're habitually out-of-control or something. I don't think there's any school on this island whose fans are so bad that the school is on some kind of unofficial blacklist. When school tournaments are scheduled, I don't think ADs and coaches sit-around and say don't invite this or that school, their fans suck.
I don't think any school's fans are bad enough that anyone would say that.
Watch the video. It has nothing to do with the fans but more so beef with Akana & the Iolani Coach
@teamhawaii: Oh. I had watched the video before my last post, and saw there was some kind of commotion. Didn't know it involved the coaches. I saw one of the Kahuku players apologizing for something to one of the refs. Well, if it involves Coach Akana, then, yeah, I guess I could understand Iolani not wanting to invite Kahuku, especially if it was a physical altercation of some kind. So, who was at fault? Was it Akana, or the Iolani coach? Either way, that's really bad for the players to watch, as well as for students who were in the bleachers. Teens are impressionable, boys and girls.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I know this isn't a soccer site, but I just found-out that Pac-5 tied Punahou in boys' soccer. I mean, that's amazing. When was the last time Pac-5 came anywhere near even tying Punahou? And, isn't Punahou the defending D1 state champ? Yet Pac-5 was able to play them to a scoreless tie, and Pac-5 is D2. Amazing. That's a shock to me. Punahou alumni who were there, must be pissed.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

That was kind of our point. We felt that the committee that invites the local schools didn't care too much for Akana. I have to believe Shimamoto is heavily influential in that area. Of course, this is all speculation but until Kahuku gets another invite with Akana as the coach, I'll believe the hype.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:08 pm
@teamhawaii: Oh. I had watched the video before my last post, and saw there was some kind of commotion. Didn't know it involved the coaches. I saw one of the Kahuku players apologizing for something to one of the refs. Well, if it involves Coach Akana, then, yeah, I guess I could understand Iolani not wanting to invite Kahuku, especially if it was a physical altercation of some kind. So, who was at fault? Was it Akana, or the Iolani coach? Either way, that's really bad for the players to watch, as well as for students who were in the bleachers. Teens are impressionable, boys and girls.
I was at the game. It was simply a matter of the refs allowing Iolani's coach to charge them on the court, yell at them, and still not get called for a technical. That was bs. I saw those same refs give Akana technicals throughout the season for remarks/motions on the sideline that weren't even a fraction as bad as Shimamoto displayed during that time of the game. It was obvious that if Akana did the same thing he would have been t'd up without hesitation. That is how most of the Kahuku fans felt about it. And that is what I believe Akana was trying to say to the refs why they didn't t the 'Iolani coach up for all that activity.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:43 pm
That was kind of our point. We felt that the committee that invites the local schools didn't care too much for Akana. I have to believe Shimamoto is heavily influential in that area. Of course, this is all speculation but until Kahuku gets another invite with Akana as the coach, I'll believe the hype.
@Naz:
Yes, that's his name, Shimamoto. Well, looks like Akana is on the s**t list. That's too bad; it's probably costing the Kahuku basketball team. I mean, if schools are blacklisting the team because of the coach, well, that sucks. But, did you guys hear about the beat-down that Kahuku gave St Louis a night or two ago? The score was something like Kahuku 47, St Louis 18. I'm thinking: Was that St Louis' AA team? I mean, that's an ol'-fashioned butt-whipping, and even worse if that was St Louis' D1 team. When the two D1 teams played each other about two weeks ago, St Louis lost by only 3 or 4. If it was St Louis' D1 team that played a night or two ago, I wonder what happened? Yes, obviously if there are any basketball players on St Louis' football team, they weren't playing. But, they weren't playing the previous game, either. I think it's possible that that's the lowest point-total ever for a St Louis (D1) basketball team. I mean, usually only some sucky girls' teams score that few points. Does anyone know whether that was St Louis' D1 team or the AA team?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:08 pm
I was at the game. It was simply a matter of the refs allowing Iolani's coach to charge them on the court, yell at them, and still not get called for a technical. That was bs. I saw those same refs give Akana technicals throughout the season for remarks/motions on the sideline that weren't even a fraction as bad as Shimamoto displayed during that time of the game. It was obvious that if Akana did the same thing he would have been t'd up without hesitation. That is how most of the Kahuku fans felt about it. And that is what I believe Akana was trying to say to the refs why they didn't t the 'Iolani coach up for all that activity.
@Naz: OK, now that sucks, how the refs treated Akana while letting Shimamato slide. On the video, I noticed that the game was at McKinley's gym, not Iolani's. So, why the preferential treatment of Shimamoto? Were the refs Iolani alumni? Also, I'm surprised that Shimamoto was dic*ing-out like that; I thought he was more mild-mannered than that. I mean, I've seen him get animated, but not like that.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:09 pm
@Naz:
Well, looks like Akana is on the s**t list. That's too bad; it's probably costing the Kahuku basketball team. I mean, if schools are blacklisting the team because of the coach, well, that sucks.
I think quite the contrary. Akana going to Kahuku was one of the best things that happened to the program from a winning perspective. He delivered their first D1 state title and has taken them within a win or two of more state titles since taking over the head coaching position. Put him on an ILH team where he can recruit the best talent across the state and I feel he would create a dynasty.

According to ScoringLive's schedule, the St. Louis team that lost is indeed their top varsity team. Maybe they were short-handed. Maybe they are just really not that good this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:40 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:09 pm
@Naz:
Well, looks like Akana is on the s**t list. That's too bad; it's probably costing the Kahuku basketball team. I mean, if schools are blacklisting the team because of the coach, well, that sucks.
I think quite the contrary. Akana going to Kahuku was one of the best things that happened to the program from a winning perspective. He delivered their first D1 state title and has taken them within a win or two of more state titles since taking over the head coaching position. Put him on an ILH team where he can recruit the best talent across the state and I feel he would create a dynasty.

According to ScoringLive's schedule, the St. Louis team that lost is indeed their top varsity team. Maybe they were short-handed. Maybe they are just really not that good this year.
@Naz: Well, I guess I'd agree that Akana is a good coach, but perhaps he shouldn't be so aggressive towards other coaches during a game, that he ends-up on s**t lists. At the same time, refs need to call a fair game. Don't nitpick on one school, and let the other school slide. Isn't Akana a Kahuku alumnus? If he is, I'm glad he's serving his alma mater. I'd hate to see him coach a private school just so he can recruit. Besides, if public schools recruit in football (and they do), then why can't Akana recruit basketball talent to Kahuku High?

I suppose St Louis alumni aren't very happy about how their alma mater fared in sports this weekend. Regarding the football team, well, obviously that mainland school was the real deal. And then, you confirmed that the St Louis basketball team that got their butts kicked was, indeed, their D1 team. Well, now that St Louis School has finally finished football, if there are any basketball players who were on the football team, now they can join the basketball team and help the school's fortunes in that sport. I mean, when a D1 boys' team scores only 18 or 19 points, that team needs an infusion of help.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:15 pm
@Naz: Well, I guess I'd agree that Akana is a good coach, but perhaps he shouldn't be so aggressive towards other coaches during a game, that he ends-up on s**t lists. At the same time, refs need to call a fair game. Don't nitpick on one school, and let the other school slide. Isn't Akana a Kahuku alumnus? If he is, I'm glad he's serving his alma mater. I'd hate to see him coach a private school just so he can recruit. Besides, if public schools recruit in football (and they do), then why can't Akana recruit basketball talent to Kahuku High?
To set it straight, I have never seen Akana be "aggressive towards other coaches". He doesn't do anything egregious you wouldn't expect from any other veteran coach in the state. Akana is not a Kahuku alumnus he graduated from Moloka'i High. His ties to the Kahuku community I believe are that he has family that have lived in the area for years and he had a standout career as a guard at BYU-Hawai'i. Now, obviously he lives there.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:15 pm
To set it straight, I have never seen Akana be "aggressive towards other coaches". He doesn't do anything egregious you wouldn't expect from any other veteran coach in the state. Akana is not a Kahuku alumnus he graduated from Moloka'i High. His ties to the Kahuku community I believe are that he has family that have lived in the area for years and he had a standout career as a guard at BYU-Hawai'i. Now, obviously he lives there.
@teamhawaii: Thanks for the clarifications. I was wondering why Akana got into that skirmish with Shimamoto. If the refs were juicing Akana, why would he take it out on Shimamoto? You'd think he'd go after the refs instead. Unless Shimamoto did something to make him snap.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:43 pm
@teamhawaii: Thanks for the clarifications. I was wondering why Akana got into that skirmish with Shimamoto. If the refs were juicing Akana, why would he take it out on Shimamoto? You'd think he'd go after the refs instead. Unless Shimamoto did something to make him snap.
In that video, Akana didn't lash out at Shimamoto. He was in fact taking it out on the refs. I think he was going onto the court to complain why the refs weren't t'ing shimamoto up knowing they would have definitely done it to him had he done half of the things shimamoto was doing. And that is why his assistants/players are pushing him back to the bench.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:05 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:43 pm
In that video, Akana didn't lash out at Shimamoto. He was in fact taking it out on the refs. I think he was going onto the court to complain why the refs weren't t'ing shimamoto up knowing they would have definitely done it to him had he done half of the things shimamoto was doing. And that is why his assistants/players are pushing him back to the bench.
@Naz: Oh, OK. So, it seems that Akana was responding in an understandable fashion. Then, there's no reason Iolani shouldn't have invited Kahuku to their Invitational, unless there were other reasons. Akana wasn't going after the Iolani coach. At the same time, shame on the refs. Perhaps they were Iolani alumni.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Whoa, did you guys see the St Louis v Iolani score last night? St Louis 53, Iolani 29. That's right. Like, when was the last time St Louis beat Iolani by 24 points? Nuts. There's a chance Iolani might finish last in their division. When was the last time that happened?

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

I don’t know the reason Kahuku hasn’t been invited back, but I do know some coaches weren’t happy with the way Fotu showed up the week of the Iolani Classic and then left Kahuku right after the basketball season was over. The coaches I know thought this wasn’t right, but they didn’t want to complain because they didn’t want to look like whiners and sore losers. They all said it would have been fine if Fotu was at the school for the entire school year rather than just the basketball season. There weren’t complaints about Tolu because he did stay for the whole school.

Again, I don’t know the real reason for not being invited back but the way Fotu came in rubbed people the wrong way.