Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hooper wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 pm The playoffs are always messed up. I’m not doggin the neighbor island teams, but it’s crazy how they are always ranked so high. Sometimes there is a really good team from Lahainaluna or Hilo, but most times they would be average compared to ILH or the top OIA teams. I don’t understand why they get seeded 2 or 3. I know it is more for being politically correct. But if you want a true state championship, the best teams should be in the tournament and ranked accordingly.

This also happens in football. A couple of years ago, Punahou played Hilo in the preseason and beat them 59-0, and it could have been worse if Punahou kept their starters in. At the end of that season, Hilo was in the state tournament and Punahou, who was the second best team in the state didn’t qualify. I know it’s a numbers game in terms of how many teams make it from each league, but it doesn’t make any sense if you are truly looking for the best teams in the state to be in this tournament.
@Hooper: And it's not only the neighbor-island schools that are sometimes over-ranked. Tonight, #6 Leilehua got their butts kicked by 19 points by Baldwin, and Baldwin isn't even ranked. Meanwhile, in D2, #8 Hawaii Prep lost to Roosevelt by 4, and Roosevelt isn't even ranked. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the #2 school, Maryknoll, beat the #3 school, Damien, by 17. Did Maryknoll make some monster adjustments at the half? In the 3rd qrtr, they outscored Damien by 13, and in the 4th, they outscored them by 8. Apparently, Damien had no answer. I can't begin to imagine how pissed Damien alumni are. It's bad enough to see your alma mater lose; it's even worse to see them get their butts kicked.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3258
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:45 pm
Hooper wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 pm The playoffs are always messed up. I’m not doggin the neighbor island teams, but it’s crazy how they are always ranked so high. Sometimes there is a really good team from Lahainaluna or Hilo, but most times they would be average compared to ILH or the top OIA teams. I don’t understand why they get seeded 2 or 3. I know it is more for being politically correct. But if you want a true state championship, the best teams should be in the tournament and ranked accordingly.

This also happens in football. A couple of years ago, Punahou played Hilo in the preseason and beat them 59-0, and it could have been worse if Punahou kept their starters in. At the end of that season, Hilo was in the state tournament and Punahou, who was the second best team in the state didn’t qualify. I know it’s a numbers game in terms of how many teams make it from each league, but it doesn’t make any sense if you are truly looking for the best teams in the state to be in this tournament.
@Hooper: And it's not only the neighbor-island schools that are sometimes over-ranked. Tonight, #6 Leilehua got their butts kicked by 19 points by Baldwin, and Baldwin isn't even ranked. Meanwhile, in D2, #8 Hawaii Prep lost to Roosevelt by 4, and Roosevelt isn't even ranked. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the #2 school, Maryknoll, beat the #3 school, Damien, by 17. Did Maryknoll make some monster adjustments at the half? In the 3rd qrtr, they outscored Damien by 13, and in the 4th, they outscored them by 8. Apparently, Damien had no answer. I can't begin to imagine how pissed Damien alumni are. It's bad enough to see your alma mater lose; it's even worse to see them get their butts kicked.
I think in nearly every case, one game does not define a team. I mean, look what happened when Kahuku played Mililani in football the first time. That game was nowhere near a microcosm of Mililani’s season, nor its next matchup with Kahuku.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by Hooper »

The consolations games don’t mean too much because once a team loses, some coaches let their bench players get more time. So Baldwin beating Leilehua by a lot isn’t a true indicator of how good the teams are. As for Maryknoll and damien, I didn’t see the game but I’m guessing Damien wasn’t at their best because the night before they used up their legs because they played Moanalua. Moanalua is a fast team, so Damien was probably tired. Whereas Maryknoll had a runaway game the night before so their legs were still fresh.

Tonight’s championship games will be interesting because Kamehameha who beat Maryknoll 3 times during the ILH season, may have lost one of their best players last night. Togiai left the game with a knee injury late in the game. If he can’t play, Maryknoll’s chances got a lot better. I hope the kid is okay because he is one of the best players in the state.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hooper wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:37 am The consolations games don’t mean too much because once a team loses, some coaches let their bench players get more time. So Baldwin beating Leilehua by a lot isn’t a true indicator of how good the teams are. As for Maryknoll and damien, I didn’t see the game but I’m guessing Damien wasn’t at their best because the night before they used up their legs because they played Moanalua. Moanalua is a fast team, so Damien was probably tired. Whereas Maryknoll had a runaway game the night before so their legs were still fresh.

Tonight’s championship games will be interesting because Kamehameha who beat Maryknoll 3 times during the ILH season, may have lost one of their best players last night. Togiai left the game with a knee injury late in the game. If he can’t play, Maryknoll’s chances got a lot better. I hope the kid is okay because he is one of the best players in the state.
@Hooper: Yeah, I think Kamehameha is screwed. Without Togiai, it's almost impossible to beat Maryknoll. Kamehameha has a deep bench, but it's pretty hard to fill Togiai's shoes. Doo-doo happens. I mean, there were just a few minutes left in the game, they had the lead, and that had to happen. It's late in the game, on the eve of the State title game, and their #2 player goes down with an injury. He's a senior, right? So, he busted his butt at practice throughout the season, and with his team-mates he helped create an undefeated regular/post season, and in the penultimate game of the season, during the last five minutes, this. What can you say? It just doesn't seem fair. The basketball gods suck. Visions of Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3258
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by gopunahou »

Congratulations to Maryknoll. Those guys played with fire and seized the moment.

As for Kamehameha, I can commiserate with them in two ways. One obvious one (being that my school lost to them in the championship game last year) and the other being that we had an undefeated season the ILH (1993) but couldn't seal the deal.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by Hooper »

That game was sad to watch. Maryknoll definitely played better last night, but I felt bad for Kamehameha because they were the top dog all season. Without Togiai that was a different team. It’s weird how for the past 4-5 years the championship games have all been lopsided. I hope Togiai’s injury will not impact his future.

User avatar
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm
Location: Hawai'i

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:29 am
Hooper wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:37 am The consolations games don’t mean too much because once a team loses, some coaches let their bench players get more time. So Baldwin beating Leilehua by a lot isn’t a true indicator of how good the teams are. As for Maryknoll and damien, I didn’t see the game but I’m guessing Damien wasn’t at their best because the night before they used up their legs because they played Moanalua. Moanalua is a fast team, so Damien was probably tired. Whereas Maryknoll had a runaway game the night before so their legs were still fresh.

Tonight’s championship games will be interesting because Kamehameha who beat Maryknoll 3 times during the ILH season, may have lost one of their best players last night. Togiai left the game with a knee injury late in the game. If he can’t play, Maryknoll’s chances got a lot better. I hope the kid is okay because he is one of the best players in the state.
@Hooper: Yeah, I think Kamehameha is screwed. Without Togiai, it's almost impossible to beat Maryknoll. Kamehameha has a deep bench, but it's pretty hard to fill Togiai's shoes. Doo-doo happens. I mean, there were just a few minutes left in the game, they had the lead, and that had to happen. It's late in the game, on the eve of the State title game, and their #2 player goes down with an injury. He's a senior, right? So, he busted his butt at practice throughout the season, and with his team-mates he helped create an undefeated regular/post season, and in the penultimate game of the season, during the last five minutes, this. What can you say? It just doesn't seem fair. The basketball gods suck. Visions of Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
Gotta be one of the worst sports stories imaginable. A four-year player. Kamehameha was decent past few years but never a real threat to win a state title, let alone the ILH. They go undefeated in ILH and basically it all leads up to the state title in your final game and it just gets taken away from you. That's supposed to be the reward for all the hard work over four years? So sad.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Neighbor: Exactly. Kamehameha alumni must be majorly pissed. I think Kamehameha Schools should sue the basketball gods. What they allowed to happen to Togiai was unconscionable; an absolute crime. Crap, Kamehameha was not only ILH champ and ranked #1; they were undefeated throughout regular-season play and clear up through and after the State semifinal game against Kahuku. I think this was a cheap shot by the basketball gods. Kamehameha Schools was robbed, and I think they should take those darned basketball gods to court. This was an absolute rip-off. Maryknoll School's state title should have an asterisk next to it.

Post Reply