Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by Hooper »

HSFF - Don’t get me wrong Akana is doing a solid job at Kahuku. For me, when I look at their schedule they have 2 quality wins (Moanalua and Kalaheo). As for the rest of the games, I’m sure Kahuku was favored in those (some are against Div 2 teams). That’s why I want to see them playing the top competition. When they start beating the top 5 teams, i will definitely sing praises to Akana.

Keep in mind, over the years Akana has had decent talent on his teams. He gets results, but he’s also had talent to coach. This year his roster doesn’t have the notoriety of the past couple of seasons, but the recruit from the Bay Area is 6’8 and averaging 15 points a game. He’s not a Tolu or Fotu, but how many Hawaii teams have a guy that tall maybe 4 teams. Also Enos and Savao have been on the team for the past couple of years. Enos made the Punahou varsity basketball team as a freshman, so he’s a good player.

For the record, I want to see Akana and Kahuku win. I think it’s great for high school basketball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hooper wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 pm HSFF - Don’t get me wrong Akana is doing a solid job at Kahuku. For me, when I look at their schedule they have 2 quality wins (Moanalua and Kalaheo). As for the rest of the games, I’m sure Kahuku was favored in those (some are against Div 2 teams). That’s why I want to see them playing the top competition. When they start beating the top 5 teams, i will definitely sing praises to Akana.

Keep in mind, over the years Akana has had decent talent on his teams. He gets results, but he’s also had talent to coach. This year his roster doesn’t have the notoriety of the past couple of seasons, but the recruit from the Bay Area is 6’8 and averaging 15 points a game. He’s not a Tolu or Fotu, but how many Hawaii teams have a guy that tall maybe 4 teams. Also Enos and Savao have been on the team for the past couple of years. Enos made the Punahou varsity basketball team as a freshman, so he’s a good player.

For the record, I want to see Akana and Kahuku win. I think it’s great for high school basketball.
@Hooper: Well, I mean, to be perfectly honest, can we really say that if one school in particular wins, that that's good for basketball? Having said that, I like Kahuku High, so I like when they win. However, I like Kamehameha Schools as much as I do Kahuku High. So, I'd be glad to see Kahuku beat every school except Kamehameha. If Kamehameha and Kahuku were to play for the title, I wouldn't know which school to back; I'd be neutral. By the way, I think you'd have to include Kahuku's win over McKinley as another--(3rd)--quality win. McKinley lost to #8 Kailua by only 4; Kahuku murdered McKinley by 25. I think that the McKinley game serves as a warning to strong basketball schools that they had better watch-out for Kahuku.

Oh, wait; I forgot about Damien School. I like Damien School, too. If Kahuku were to play Damien, I really wouldn't know which school to back. Would have to be neutral for that one, too.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

HSFF - I just want balance. If an ILH team wins, that will make 3 years in a row. Kamehameha hasn’t won in awhile, and having Ng there definitely helps there chances. But if Kahuku can pull it out, it would nice. I don’t have a dog in the fight, so I’ll be happy for whoever wins.

As for McKinley, sorry I don’t consider them to be a strong team this year. Their D2 and have 4-5 record. Other than Kahuku, Kalaheo, Moanalua, Leilehua, and possibly Mililani, the rest of the OIA doesn’t seem as strong. The next couple of weeks will determine the tops teams.

Best of luck to your warriors and monarchs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

This link gives people the history of the state tournament: https://www.sportshigh.com/assets/conte ... 1550531080

According to it, the closest the third-best ILH team came to winning states was 2010 Kamehameha (they lost by 3 in the state championship game to Iolani).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:23 pm HSFF - I just want balance. If an ILH team wins, that will make 3 years in a row. Kamehameha hasn’t won in awhile, and having Ng there definitely helps there chances. But if Kahuku can pull it out, it would nice. I don’t have a dog in the fight, so I’ll be happy for whoever wins.

As for McKinley, sorry I don’t consider them to be a strong team this year. Their D2 and have 4-5 record. Other than Kahuku, Kalaheo, Moanalua, Leilehua, and possibly Mililani, the rest of the OIA doesn’t seem as strong. The next couple of weeks will determine the tops teams.

Best of luck to your warriors and monarchs.
@Hooper: Well, I personally go by schools, not leagues. When a school wins a state title, that school won it, not the league that school is in. The league "wins" only by default; the league "wins" only because that school happens to be a member of that league. Also, I wouldn't allow myself to be blinded by the division a school happens to be in. Yes, McKinley is D2, but they still lost to D1 and #8-ranked Kailua by only 4 points. Finally, Kamehameha and Damien aren't really "my teams." I like those two schools, but I'm not necessarily a fan of theirs. It's not like I have any kind of allegiance to them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:05 pm This link gives people the history of the state tournament: https://www.sportshigh.com/assets/conte ... 1550531080

According to it, the closest the third-best ILH team came to winning states was 2010 Kamehameha (they lost by 3 in the state championship game to Iolani).
@gopunahou: History doesn't always repeat itself; every year is different. Think of a hypothetical situation where the top three schools in the state happened to play each other, and the top school beat the #2 school by 1 point, and the #2 school beat the #3 school by 1 point. Obviously, all three schools are virtually even. I can assure you that the #3 school isn't going to look at that link and say, "Oh, according to state tourney history, we probably aren't going to win states." History doesn't play; schools play.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 pm
Hooper wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:20 pm Doc Is the top of the basketball mountain because he has multiple state titles. If Akana wins 4-5 more, he will definitely be in that conversation. Akana has definitely elevated Kahuku basketball and is taking steps up the mountain. He is definitely the best at recruiting players from outside the state. As for the x’s And o’s, I need to watch more Kahuku game when it’s a close ball game. I hope to watch more of their games in the state tournament. If they reach the title game this year, I think he should get recognized for that.

Go Punahou, your team has the potential to beat the top teams, but they aren’t as consistent as the past 4 years. It’s going to be a battle to get into the state tournament.

Regardless, this is the best time of the year for high school basketball.
@Hooper: Akana is definitely working some magic at Kahuku High. Friday they murdered McKinley High, 61-36. McKinley doesn't suck; they could easily be ranked. For example, a week or two ago, McKinley lost to Kailua by only four points, and Kailua was ranked #8 at the time. You would expect Kahuku to beat McKinley, but not by 25. In my mind, Kahuku has solidified its position as the strongest school in OIA D1. I think the top three schools in ILH D1 had better keep an eye on Kahuku; be wary. As for Punahou, I think they're the 3rd-best school in ILH D1, but: If they're not careful, they could lose to Damien and/or St Louis. In fact, they did lose to Damien early last week, and Damien lost to St Louis the week before. So, as Punahou tries to maintain its position on the ILH D1 ladder, Damien and St Louis are just a rung or two below, pulling on the Puns' ankles. It's a jungle in ILH D1; the only school that seems to be out is Mid-Pac.
Wait; another school that seems to be out of the ILH D1 race is Iolani, not just Mid-Pac. Forgot about the Raiders.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

HSFF - Regarding McKinley, I have to be honest and admit I haven’t watched them play. I just saw they were 11-11 overall, and 4-5 in league play. You’re right that them being in D2 doesn’t mean anything. They were D1 not too long ago so them moving down was the reason i didn’t think they were that strong. They did play Kailua tough, but they also lost to Moanalua by 30. Either way, as the playoff approach, it will be interesting to see who ends up on top.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm HSFF - Regarding McKinley, I have to be honest and admit I haven’t watched them play. I just saw they were 11-11 overall, and 4-5 in league play. You’re right that them being in D2 doesn’t mean anything. They were D1 not too long ago so them moving down was the reason i didn’t think they were that strong. They did play Kailua tough, but they also lost to Moanalua by 30. Either way, as the playoff approach, it will be interesting to see who ends up on top.
@Hooper: OK, I didn't know McKinley lost to Moanalua by 30; that sucks. And, I think Kailua is ranked above Moanalua. What that tells me is that McKinley is very inconsistent, which makes them very unpredictable. When you play them, you have to hope they aren't hot against you.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Wow. Damien was obviously pissed about being upset by St Louis by 1 point, a week or two ago, and wanted to make a statement. Last night, they kicked St Louis' butts by 12. I think St Louis School heard that statement loud and clear. Plus, those two schools are bitter rivals.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

St Louis suffered a brutal one-point loss to Maryknoll last night, 40-39. When I say, "brutal," I don't mean that it was a physically brutal game. It's just that when you lose any basketball game by just one point, it brutally sucks. But then again, St Louis beat Damien a week or two ago by just one point, 58-57. I guess what goes around, comes around. In basketball and football, it so sucks to lose by just one point. Not as bad in sports like soccer and baseball, wouldn't you say? Well, it kind of sucks in baseball, too. But, unlike baseball, basketball scores usually run into the 40s or higher. So, losing a basketball game 40-39, seems worse to me than losing a baseball game, say, 4-3.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Does anyone think that all of the OIA boys representatives in states could be all East teams?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The OIA gets five teams into the D-I tournament. You can make a case that the East ,as a whole ,is stronger than the West. With that many slots available though,my guess is Leilehua or Mililani,maybe both, finish in the top five at the OIA tournament. It would be pretty hard for the East to get all the OIA slots at states. I could see them getting four teams in.

Kudos to the Radford Lady Rams for making the field at states in girls basketball!
Of course I would like them to make a deep run but,realistically,probably not gonna happen.If they win their opening game...Konawaena is the second round opponent.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:10 am Does anyone think that all of the OIA boys representatives in states could be all East teams?
@gopunahou: Well, last night Kaiser edged Kahuku by 1 point, so you could make a case for those two schools. Perhaps you can throw-in Kalaheo, too. And then there's dark horse Moanalua. I'm surprised that they not only beat Kailua, but beat them by nine. So, perhaps Kaiser, Kahuku, Kalaheo, and Moanalua? All four schools are East schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:59 am The OIA gets five teams into the D-I tournament. You can make a case that the East ,as a whole ,is stronger than the West. With that many slots available though,my guess is Leilehua or Mililani,maybe both, finish in the top five at the OIA tournament. It would be pretty hard for the East to get all the OIA slots at states. I could see them getting four teams in.

Kudos to the Radford Lady Rams for making the field at states in girls basketball!
Of course I would like them to make a deep run but,realistically,probably not gonna happen.If they win their opening game...Konawaena is the second round opponent.
@unpaid: Yeah, well, Iolani will probably win the tourney. I would much rather have Radford, but they simply won't be able to stay with Iolani. Radford probably won't get past Konawaena, either. What can you do? It's just one of those things. I guess it's one of those situations where you say, "Well, at least they got this far; at least they made States."