Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by Naz »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:53 pm
Crazy to think, that the Iolani Classic Committee hasn't invited Kahuku since that run.

Does anyone know the exact reason, they haven't invited them back since?

I heard they didn't like how Kahuku acted during that impressive run in 2016. Feels like they were just salty that Kahuku showed up Iolani in their own tournament.
I think the person or people in charge don't care for Akana all that much hence his snub since finishing 3rd in the Classic three seasons ago. I also subscribe to the notion that 'Iolani doesn't want Kahuku showing them up. I'm curious who you heard say "they didn't like how Kahuku acted during the impressive run". I don't remember Kahuku being punks or showboats they were just beating teams gracefully imo.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I watched the first round games for Moanalua and Damien. Neither Geremy Robinson Jr. nor Bryce Forbes look like D2 prospects let alone D1 prospects who have offers from the schools they claim they do (Wichita State and Georgetown!!!). They were both non-existent. To me, the 'Iolani Classic is where you show you can hang with next level competition. It's the best competition they'll face all year.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Naz wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:12 pm
Crazy to think, that the Iolani Classic Committee hasn't invited Kahuku since that run.

I heard they didn't like how Kahuku acted during that impressive run in 2016. Feels like they were just salty that Kahuku showed up Iolani in their own tournament.
I think the person or people in charge don't care for Akana all that much hence his snub since finishing 3rd in the Classic three seasons ago. I also subscribe to the notion that 'Iolani doesn't want Kahuku showing them up. I'm curious who you heard say "they didn't like how Kahuku acted during the impressive run". I don't remember Kahuku being punks or showboats they were just beating teams gracefully imo.
That makes sense. If anything, they should of have been invited Tolu Smith year, I don’t think they would of went far as 2016 but it would of been entertaining.

It wasn’t the players but more so the fans. Heard Iolani higher ups didn’t like when Kahuku fans did the “Tomahawk Chop” during their games and so forth. Wouldn’t doubt Iolani high makamaka attitude played a part of them not inviting Kahuku since.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:59 pm
Naz wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:12 pm

That makes sense. If anything, they should of have been invited Tolu Smith year, I don’t think they would of went far as 2016 but it would of been entertaining.

It wasn’t the players but more so the fans. Heard Iolani higher ups didn’t like when Kahuku fans did the “Tomahawk Chop” during their games and so forth. Wouldn’t doubt Iolani high makamaka attitude played a part of them not inviting Kahuku since.
@teamhawaii: If what you say is true, Iolani School's brass should be ashamed of themselves for being so small. I mean, the tomahawk chop is what Kahuku High does; their nickname is, Red Raiders. That nickname refers to Native American Indian warriors, who used tomahawks. Kahuku High's fans do the chop at football games as well. Iolani School should be especially ashamed as they have virtually the same nickname, Raiders. In fact, Iolani School's nickname used to be Red Raiders, too, until they dropped the "Red" sometime during the mid-'80s. Iolani School's brass have disgraced their school by being so small. OK, so Iolani School's fans don't do the chop. But, they have the same mascot as Kahuku High: The Native American Indian warrior. Iolani School can't get away from that. By using the "I-shield" as their logo, they seem to be trying to de-emphasize their mascot. But, it still is what it is, right? (By the "I-shield," I mean that white "I" in the shield; the left side of the shield is black, and the right side is red, as the school's colors are black and red.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

You know, I just hate when I school that I like, loses to a lower-ranked school. It's such a bummer. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, creates a sense of frustration and disappointment. I mean, you were looking forward to a victory, but they end-up losing. It sucks, and the feeling kind of lingers for hours; that's what I've found. It's so important for schools not to screw-up when they're supposed to win. Guys are looking forward to the sugar-high of a win, but then the school (or, the school's team) screws-up. It's deflating, and seems to color everything for hours. It plain sucks.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

You know what’s been disappointing? The fact that Mater Dei hasn’t come to the boys Iolani classic.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:56 pm You know what’s been disappointing? The fact that Mater Dei hasn’t come to the boys Iolani classic.
@gopunahou: Well, how good are they in boys' basketball? By the way, in case you didn't know, Punahou's girls lost to Iolani today. But then again, Iolani's girls are ranked #1, so...

But, Iolani's girls might not be invincible. Maryknoll lost to them by only 6 points.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If people bother to follow Iolani's boys' team, here is what they'll say: "Doc Mugiishi ain't walking through that door."
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:23 am If people bother to follow Iolani's boys' team, here is what they'll say: "Doc Mugiishi ain't walking through that door."
Doc Mugiishi wouldn't be able to do jack with this current 'Iolani team. Ryan Hirata in his first season took over a very young and inexperienced squad that will probably be a doormat for a season or two in the ILH. BUT, it's the same predicament he found himself at Mid-Pac before he built that program up and they began beating the powerhouses regularly and were one or two "recruited kids" away from getting into states.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

This must not have helped Kahuku's invitation prospects either....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU64ykcZkog

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Yeah, makes sense lol. Heated competition, it all adds up. Than again, it’s their tournament they can invite whoever they want.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:23 am If people bother to follow Iolani's boys' team, here is what they'll say: "Doc Mugiishi ain't walking through that door."
@gopunahou: Well, Mugiishi was a good coach, but you know, no one is irreplaceable. I don't even know who's coaching Iolani School now; didn't the last longtime coach resign to spend more time with his kids? Think his last name begins with an "S". Anyway, coaching goes only so far. If a school doesn't have the quality players, a coach can do only so much. Iolani did beat Mililani today, 41-39. But, Mililani is 5-6 (with the loss), and Iolani won by only a bucket.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm
Doc Mugiishi wouldn't be able to do jack with this current 'Iolani team. Ryan Hirata in his first season took over a very young and inexperienced squad that will probably be a doormat for a season or two in the ILH. BUT, it's the same predicament he found himself at Mid-Pac before he built that program up and they began beating the powerhouses regularly and were one or two "recruited kids" away from getting into states.
@Naz: In fact, Mid-Pac could probably beat Iolani this year. Mid-Pac is ranked #7, while Iolani is unranked.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Naz: Well, Kahuku fans might be just a little bit on the rowdy side, but to not invite Kahuku just because of that, well, I don't know. It's not like they're completely out-of-control or something. It's not like they're tearing-down the gym, or causing property damage, or assaulting people on every hand.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Yeah, makes sense lol. Heated competition, it all adds up. Than again, it’s their tournament they can invite whoever they want.
@teamhawaii: Well, both schools have strong fan-support. Kahuku fans are probably more rowdy, but I wouldn't say they're habitually out-of-control or something. I don't think there's any school on this island whose fans are so bad that the school is on some kind of unofficial blacklist. When school tournaments are scheduled, I don't think ADs and coaches sit-around and say don't invite this or that school, their fans suck.
I don't think any school's fans are bad enough that anyone would say that.