Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm
It affects the juniors and seniors the most.
@gopunahou: OK, but I'm sure Punahou School wouldn't be stupid enough to insist any of the basketball players work the carnival when there's a do-or-die game, one that could actually or potentially end the school's season.
I think the seniors have some kind show thing they have do that they all dance or do skits or something like that and they do it each night? Even if they're not doing it and have a game that night, I think they're still very much involved in the week(s) leading up to it. idk it's still another "distraction" or just something that's on their minds instead of just school and sports.
@Neighbor: Well, if it happens every year every carnival, it doesn't seem to do much harm. Punahou is much more often in the state tourney than not. To be perfectly honest, I'm glad they didn't make States this year, as I'm not particularly fond of Punahou School.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm As for actual basketball discussion, Damien just hasn't looked nearly as good as they did a year ago. Haven't seen Kam play but I think it's their tournament to lose. going undefeated in ILH D1 is hard to do but they did it. But tournament can easily be one slip-up and it's over.
@Neighbor: You're absolutely correct. In States, one loss and you're out of contention for the title. Kamehameha has been extraordinarily lucky, and if they're not careful, their luck will run out. Tomorrow, they play Leilehua. I think the Mules are extremely dangerous; the Warriors had better not be taking them likely, if they know what's good for them. Last night, Kalaheo took Maryknoll to OT before falling. I can guarantee that Maryknoll fans were crapping their undies the last two minutes of regulation, as Kalaheo was ahead for much of it, and Kalaheo had last possession and took the last shot, which didn't go in. I don't know whether Maryknoll took Kalaheo lightly, or had an off night, or whether Kalaheo played over their heads. But, there were probably lots of brown undies on the Spartans' side of the gym after regulation.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm
It affects the juniors and seniors the most.
@gopunahou: OK, but I'm sure Punahou School wouldn't be stupid enough to insist any of the basketball players work the carnival when there's a do-or-die game, one that could actually or potentially end the school's season.
I think the seniors have some kind show thing they have do that they all dance or do skits or something like that and they do it each night? Even if they're not doing it and have a game that night, I think they're still very much involved in the week(s) leading up to it. idk it's still another "distraction" or just something that's on their minds instead of just school and sports.
The variety show is optional but typically 95% of the seniors participate. The juniors work shifts to serve people.

The Damien-Moanalua game is intriguing. Damien might not be as impressive as last year, but they’ve been hot, as has Moanalua. And does Baldwin stand a chance against Maryknoll?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:46 pm

The variety show is optional but typically 95% of the seniors participate. The juniors work shifts to serve people.

The Damien-Moanalua game is intriguing. Damien might not be as impressive as last year, but they’ve been hot, as has Moanalua. And does Baldwin stand a chance against Maryknoll?

@gopunahou: Excellent post; my thoughts exactly. Damien had better watch-out for Moanalua. To me, Moanalua is like the Mid-Pac of OIA D1: A school that was kind of lurking, kind of hanging-around, and right around playoffs, started kicking other schools in the shins. Damien is ranked higher, and I do think Damien is the better team. But, they need to bring their A-game, or I think Moanalua can take them down. In fact, in the new scoringlive poll that came-out today, Moanalua is ranked #4, right behind Damien, ranked at #3. Like, Moanalua is OIA D1 champ. They handled Kahuku to win the title, and Kahuku murdered Kaiser 56-37 last night. Kaiser is a good team, and for Kahuku to murder them like that, well, that's a warning about how good Moanalua is. Damien had better have their wits about them.

As for Baldwin, I don't think they have an ice cube's chance in hell against Maryknoll. I would like to see Baldwin win, but I think they'll find themselves outclassed by Maryknoll, unfortunately.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

As with all high school teams, all it takes is an off night and your out. Another factor is injuries. Kamehameha is one sprained ankle from not being the top dog. As for Moanalua, the team goes as Robinson goes. If he’s off, they don’t do very well. If he’s on, they can compete with anyone. Unfortunately for them, they have to beat Damien, possibly Maryknoll and possibly Kamehameha to win it all. That’s a tough road, unless KS - Hawaii can take out Maryknoll and/or KS-Kapalama loses to Leilehua.

I’m not rooting for Kamehameha , but it is really fun watching Ng play. He’s 5’9 and can windmill dunk. That’s impressive!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

It’s amazing that Kamehameha accomplished something we couldn’t for 27 years—go undefeated in the ILH. Of course, going undefeated in the ILH does not guarantee a title, as we learned in 1993. I also think Iolani had an undefeated ILH team that couldn’t win states.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:15 pm As with all high school teams, all it takes is an off night and your out. Another factor is injuries. Kamehameha is one sprained ankle from not being the top dog. As for Moanalua, the team goes as Robinson goes. If he’s off, they don’t do very well. If he’s on, they can compete with anyone. Unfortunately for them, they have to beat Damien, possibly Maryknoll and possibly Kamehameha to win it all. That’s a tough road, unless KS - Hawaii can take out Maryknoll and/or KS-Kapalama loses to Leilehua.

I’m not rooting for Kamehameha , but it is really fun watching Ng play. He’s 5’9 and can windmill dunk. That’s impressive!
@Hooper: Excellent observations. Moanalua really does live and die by Robinson. Ng plays a similar role at Kamehameha, but he has a capable scoring mate in Togiai. As good as Moanalua is--they're OIA champs--I don't see them beating Damien or Maryknoll. I will say this, though: Sometimes Damien is cold from the free-throw line, and sometimes Maryknoll is cold from the field. If that happens while either school is playing Moanalua, Moanalua has a chance, especially against Damien. I don't see Kamehameha Big-Island beating Maryknoll, but I think there's a chance Leilehua might knock-off Kamehameha-Kapalama. The Kapalama Warriors need to take a very good look at what Kalaheo did to Maryknoll last night, taking Maryknoll to OT before succumbing. If the Warriors aren't clicking on all cylinders, the Mules could do that to them. As I mentioned in a previous post, I think there were a lot of brown-stained undies on Maryknoll's side of the gym when regulation-period ended.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 pm It’s amazing that Kamehameha accomplished something we couldn’t for 27 years—go undefeated in the ILH. Of course, going undefeated in the ILH does not guarantee a title, as we learned in 1993. I also think Iolani had an undefeated ILH team that couldn’t win states.
@gopunahou: Well, it's nice to go undefeated, but Kamehameha needs to leave that in their rear-view mirror. Like Hooper said, in the State tourney, one loss and you have no chance for the title. If Kamehameha drops one, their theretofore undefeated season means squat. Kamehameha needs to take one game at a time, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Leilehua might push them to the limit tomorrow, just as Kalaheo did to Maryknoll last night. The Spartans came within a hair of going down the toilet. You just know that a lot of Spartan fans were squeezing butt the last two minutes of regulation. I'd bet a lot of Punahou alumni were hoping the Spartans would lose. After all, Maryknoll is in States at the expense of Punahou, and, those two schools are bitter ILH basketball rivals.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Man, Moanalua has a tough game tonight; they play Damien. The Menes had better be hot, because the Monarchs are long and talented. Should be a close game, as Damien and Moanalua are ranked #3 and #4, respectively. Can't get any closer than that. The game will be at Moanalua's gym, and something tells me that gym will be rocking.
Right now at Moanalua's gym, Kamehameha Big-Isle is playing Maryknoll, and the Warriors are without their top scorer. What the @#$%? Kamehameha Big-Isle is playing the #2 school in the state, and their top scorer isn't playing?! Doesn't that suck? What happened?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I made a mistake about the matchups—Maryknoll is playing KS-Hawaii.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:45 pm I made a mistake about the matchups—Maryknoll is playing KS-Hawaii.
@gopunahou:
Yeah, and Kamehameha Big-Isle is playing with one hand tied behind their backs: Their top scorer isn't playing. If that doesn't suck, I don't know what does. Really. Frustrating. And then, with Kamehameha Big-Isle without their top scorer, Maryknoll will more likely be able to build a big lead, then rest their starters. Meanwhile, other schools in other games might need to keep their starters in. It ain't fair.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

That Moanalua v. Damien game was fun to watch. That’s what the state tournament is all about. Just wondering if the Moanalua parent or parents that complained about their head coach at the beginning of the season (the reason he was let go), are happy with how the season went. They didn’t do much better than last year, and they had all their key players return.

Kahuku is the only OIA team remaining. I hope they can pull the upset, but Kamehameha looks strong. I hope Akana can work some north shore magic.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:45 am That Moanalua v. Damien game was fun to watch. That’s what the state tournament is all about. Just wondering if the Moanalua parent or parents that complained about their head coach at the beginning of the season (the reason he was let go), are happy with how the season went. They didn’t do much better than last year, and they had all their key players return.

Kahuku is the only OIA team remaining. I hope they can pull the upset, but Kamehameha looks strong. I hope Akana can work some north shore magic.
@Hooper: Moanalua had a crazy situation. They beat Kahuku for the OIA title, yet they had to play Damien last night, while Kahuku played Baldwin. Damien is way better than Baldwin. What offset that, however, is that not only did Kahuku have to play another game on Monday, but that game was against Kaiser, which is a good team. What confuses me is that I think Kaiser is better than Baldwin, yet Kahuku beat Baldwin by far less than they beat Kaiser. Doesn't seem to make sense. Meanwhile, this is the second straight year that Moanalua was "one and done" in States, and this despite the fact that they were OIA champs both years.

I don't know that Kahuku can beat Kamehameha. I think Kahuku is a little better than Leilehua, and Kamehameha throttled Leilehua last night. You never know, but it looks like Kahuku is going down. I don't know how they kicked Kaiser's butts by 19 on Monday, but if they play like they did that game, I think they can give Kamehameha a run for their money.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Holy crap; how did Maryknoll beat Damien by 17? That's insane. Looks like they lost the game in the 3rd qrtr, when they were outscored 15-2. Damien alumni must be pissed. Anyway, looks like Maryknoll is really primed for the title game tomorrow night. Meanwhile, if Kamehameha is to meet them, they'll have to get past Kahuku first, and then figure-out how the heck Maryknoll beat Damien by such a margin. Did Damien simply go cold in the 3rd qrtr, or was it something in Maryknoll's play? Once Kamehameha figures it out, then they have to devise a way to deal with it in tomorrow night's game, and that's if they beat Kahuku. Tough times, as the State tourney draws to a close.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

The playoffs are always messed up. I’m not doggin the neighbor island teams, but it’s crazy how they are always ranked so high. Sometimes there is a really good team from Lahainaluna or Hilo, but most times they would be average compared to ILH or the top OIA teams. I don’t understand why they get seeded 2 or 3. I know it is more for being politically correct. But if you want a true state championship, the best teams should be in the tournament and ranked accordingly.

This also happens in football. A couple of years ago, Punahou played Hilo in the preseason and beat them 59-0, and it could have been worse if Punahou kept their starters in. At the end of that season, Hilo was in the state tournament and Punahou, who was the second best team in the state didn’t qualify. I know it’s a numbers game in terms of how many teams make it from each league, but it doesn’t make any sense if you are truly looking for the best teams in the state to be in this tournament.