Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm @gopunahou: Oh, that's right. It's February, and that's Punahou Carnival month. Well, I'd assume it won't affect the basketball team; I'm assuming that none of the players will have to work the carnival.
It affects the juniors and seniors the most.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm @gopunahou: Oh, that's right. It's February, and that's Punahou Carnival month. Well, I'd assume it won't affect the basketball team; I'm assuming that none of the players will have to work the carnival.
@gopunahou: OK, but I'm sure Punahou School wouldn't be stupid enough to insist any of the basketball players work the carnival when there's a do-or-die game, one that could actually or potentially end the school's season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I never thought I'd see the day when Iolani would end their season last in boys' basketball, but that's what happened. Last night they lost to Mid-Pac, 39-33, in the ILH D1 Single-Elim tourney. Not only was Iolani last, they were winless at 0-13. Hard to wrap your head around it; hard to believe: Iolani last and winless. What can you say? There's something surreal about it. That's like St Louis ending their season last and winless in football. Again, I'm simply having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Mugiishi must be pissed. Not only was he a successful coach of boys' basketball at Iolani School; he's an alumnus. The same could surely be said for Derek Low, a great player for the Raiders some six years ago. I'm not trying to hate on Iolani School's current coach or players; I'm sure they all did the best they could. But, when a school had kicked butt in a certain sport for years, and then they have a really down year, it kind of freaks guys out.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

This isn't a soccer thread, but there was a huge upset in State D1 girls' soccer today: Kekaulike beat Punahou, 1-0. That's a huge upset for two reasons: 1.) Punahou was ranked #2, while Kekaulike was ranked #8. 2.) Punahou was undefeated until this loss to Kekaulike. Though Punahou placed 2nd to Kamehameha, they were only half a game behind. Up until this match against Kekaulike, Punahou had 8 wins, no losses, and 3 ties. So, this loss to Kekaulike now drops them to 8-1-3. Also, they are now eliminated from contention for the State title. I should also mention that earlier this season, Punahou was ranked #1. Massive upset. What can you say? Doo-doo happens.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The fact that we lost to Mid-Pac tonight makes me wonder if the carnival had something to do with it.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 pm The fact that we lost to Mid-Pac tonight makes me wonder if the carnival had something to do with it.
@gopunahou: I don't see why. If none of Punahou's players were working the carnival, I can't see how the carnival affected the outcome. It's like I said in an earlier post: Mid-Pac snuck-in quietly through the back door, so to speak, and started kicking other schools in the shins. First they kicked Iolani's shins, ending their season. Now they've kicked Punahou's shins, and ended their season. So, unfortunately, your alma mater is done in basketball, girls' and boys'. What can you do? All you can do is move on. I think their boys' soccer team is still in contention for the D1 State title.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Go Punahou - I don’t think carnival had anything to do with their loss. The carnival started today and the game was played yesterday. I just don’t think they were as good as previous years. Without them making the state tournament, this made me wonder when was the last time either Punahou and Iolani didn’t make the tournament. It seems like either one or the other or both were in the tournament for many years.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 pm Go Punahou - I don’t think carnival had anything to do with their loss. The carnival started today and the game was played yesterday. I just don’t think they were as good as previous years. Without them making the state tournament, this made me wonder when was the last time either Punahou and Iolani didn’t make the tournament. It seems like either one or the other or both were in the tournament for many years.
That has a nice ring to it for me - A basketball state tournament without Punahou AND Iolani. It'll be interesting how the brackets turn out. As will be the case, the OIA overall winner will have to play in the bracket with the other two ILH teams lol. Congrats for winning the OIA.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Hooper wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 pm Go Punahou - I don’t think carnival had anything to do with their loss. The carnival started today and the game was played yesterday. I just don’t think they were as good as previous years. Without them making the state tournament, this made me wonder when was the last time either Punahou and Iolani didn’t make the tournament. It seems like either one or the other or both were in the tournament for many years.
Having checked the HHSAA Boys BB record book that sportshigh.com provides, it was 1991. Fact is, we didn’t have a dominant player this year and lost too many great contributors from 2018-19.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Hooper: Well, I think Punahou wasn't that bad this year; they were probably better than last year, when they got blown-out by Maryknoll in the final. It's Iolani that was surprising; not only did they finish last, they were winless. I can't remember the last time that happened; the late-'70s, perhaps? Whenever, it's been a long time.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:27 pm
That has a nice ring to it for me - A basketball state tournament without Punahou AND Iolani. It'll be interesting how the brackets turn out. As will be the case, the OIA overall winner will have to play in the bracket with the other two ILH teams lol. Congrats for winning the OIA.
@Naz: I'm glad that Punahou and Iolani aren't there; I don't care for either school. (Sorry, gopunahou.) I think it will be either Kamehameha or Maryknoll winning the D1 title. I can't see any other school from any other league taking it; not this year. Kahuku seems to be the top OIA school, but I don't think they can beat Kamehameha or Maryknoll.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm
@Naz: I'm glad that Punahou and Iolani aren't there; I don't care for either school. (Sorry, gopunahou.) I think it will be either Kamehameha or Maryknoll winning the D1 title. I can't see any other school from any other league taking it; not this year. Kahuku seems to be the top OIA school, but I don't think they can beat Kamehameha or Maryknoll.
This’ll likely be a year where St. Louis football, Kamehameha boys basketball, Iolani girls basketball, and Punahou baseball all win state titles.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm

This’ll likely be a year where St. Louis football, Kamehameha boys basketball, Iolani girls basketball, and Punahou baseball all win state titles.
@gopunahou: I don't think Kamehameha has the D1 state boys' basketball title locked-up yet. Maryknoll can beat them; so can Damien. As for Iolani's girls' basketball team, I'm hoping Konawaena can upset them by one point. As for Punahou's baseball team, the season hasn't even begun yet. And, Mililani gave them a very good rub in the title game last year. Also, you can't count-out Baldwin. So, I'd say Mililani and Baldwin are Punahou's main threats. Punahou might very well win the ILH, but States are another matter.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm
@gopunahou: OK, but I'm sure Punahou School wouldn't be stupid enough to insist any of the basketball players work the carnival when there's a do-or-die game, one that could actually or potentially end the school's season.
I think the seniors have some kind show thing they have do that they all dance or do skits or something like that and they do it each night? Even if they're not doing it and have a game that night, I think they're still very much involved in the week(s) leading up to it. idk it's still another "distraction" or just something that's on their minds instead of just school and sports.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

As for actual basketball discussion, Damien just hasn't looked nearly as good as they did a year ago. Haven't seen Kam play but I think it's their tournament to lose. going undefeated in ILH D1 is hard to do but they did it. But tournament can easily be one slip-up and it's over.