Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Thought I'd start a new thread, now that basketball season has arrived. Newsflash: Kahuku plays St Louis tonight at Moanalua. Something tells me there'll be lots of Kahuku alumni there, looking for revenge after football. Kahuku is 1-0, having kicked Campbell's butts, 56-38. St Louis is 0-1; their butts were kicked by Moanalua, 66-55. I think Kahuku will win the game. Game starts at 7. Something tells me Moanalua High's gym will be rocking. I'd imagine there'll be lots of red in the bleachers. (I'd imagine most St Louis alumni would be wearing blue rather than red, to avoid being taken for Kahuku alumni at first glance.) Since the game is at Moanalua's gym, I'm assuming Moanalua High might be having some kind of pre-season tournament.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Yep, Kahuku won, but it was pretty close: Kahuku 48, St Louis 45. I'm sure Kahuku alumni would have preferred a blowout, but, a win is a win. I thought Kahuku would have won by more, but, oh well.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Maryknoll returns as the top dog seems like. Kahuku doesn't seem like their transfer this year is a stud and is closer to 6'6" than the 6'9" most articles make him out to be. Damien doesn't seem to be living up to the hype that surrounded their move up to D1. I'm sure losing their pg from last season makes a difference.
Moanalua is in disarray and losing Mello makes matters worse. To me, there is too much of an agenda for certain players to shine on that team. Speaking of players on Moanalua, can anyone back up the veracity of the multiple claims that sportswriters seemingly take as true by saying Geremy Robinson has an offer from Wichita State??? I call bs. Wichita St. hasn't announced any offer to Geremy Robinson and if you look at the other pgs they are offering, they are giving offers to 6'6" pgs and 4-star caliber players. I also find it odd that UH wasn't even interested in Robinson yet a power 5 conference school "offered". This wouldn't be the first time a high schooler lied about college offers.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

What happened to Mello at Moanalua?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:28 pm Maryknoll returns as the top dog seems like. Kahuku doesn't seem like their transfer this year is a stud and is closer to 6'6" than the 6'9" most articles make him out to be. Damien doesn't seem to be living up to the hype that surrounded their move up to D1. I'm sure losing their pg from last season makes a difference.
Moanalua is in disarray and losing Mello makes matters worse. To me, there is too much of an agenda for certain players to shine on that team. Speaking of players on Moanalua, can anyone back up the veracity of the multiple claims that sportswriters seemingly take as true by saying Geremy Robinson has an offer from Wichita State??? I call bs. Wichita St. hasn't announced any offer to Geremy Robinson and if you look at the other pgs they are offering, they are giving offers to 6'6" pgs and 4-star caliber players. I also find it odd that UH wasn't even interested in Robinson yet a power 5 conference school "offered". This wouldn't be the first time a high schooler lied about college offers.
@Naz: Moanalua was supposed to have played Campbell and Waianae, but I can't find the scores for those games; I don't know who won those games. Other than that, Moanalua beat St Louis and Iolani, but lost to Kamehameha.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:49 pm What happened to Mello at Moanalua?
Check this article out:

https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/boys-ba ... tep-aside/

(The comments section is more interesting than the actual article!)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:09 pm
Check this article out:

@Naz: Yeah, the comments section is really intense. I think Moanalua alumni need to get on that thread and call for peace at their alma mater. Sounds like there's all kinds of turmoil in the Moanalua Athletic Department. It's a sad and unhealthy situation. Imagine how students at Moanalua High must feel if they read that stuff. I have to believe it hurts their school spirit, and certainly the alumni who read it can't be happy about it, either. Such a sad situation, and it's all been compounded by the HC quitting. All kinds of turmoil engulfing Moanalua High basketball. And, are the parents of the players making things worse? Some of the posts seem to indicate that.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:21 pm
Naz wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:09 pm
Check this article out:

@Naz: Yeah, the comments section is really intense. I think Moanalua alumni need to get on that thread and call for peace at their alma mater. Sounds like there's turmoil in the Moanalua Athletic Department. It's a sad and unhealthy situation. Imagine how students at Moanalua High must feel if they read that stuff. I have to believe it hurts their school spirit, and certainly the alumni who read it would also find it distressing. Such a sad situation, and it's all been compounded by the HC quitting. All kinds of turmoil engulfing Moanalua High basketball; hope it's not carrying-over to the girls' team. And, are the parents of the players making things worse? Some of the posts seem to indicate that. I hope all the people involved might somehow come together for the sake of the school. Many if not most of the posts in that comments section are hostile and hurtful; I have to believe that people in the Moanalua High ohana (students and alumni) who read them are being hurt emotionally. I hope the situation will be resolved, and healing can begin. Go Menes. (By the way, one of the posters in that comment section said it's "Na Menehune," not "Menes." That's true, but the school uses "Menes" as a clipped version. For example, the cheerleaders' unis say "MENES" on the front.)

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Some of my own mental notes from over this past weekend:

- Kahuku won't be a factor in the OIA. Their 6'8" (that's generous) transfer is not cutting it. All comparisons to him and Tolu Smith need to stop already. The only chance I give them is if the football players they're missing are any good.

- Maryknoll's 6'10" sophomore is more hype than he is ready. Last summer they made it seem like he was going to dominate, but he's still not the best or most dominant player on the court when Maryknoll plays.

- 'Iolani could finish bottom 2 in the ILH.

- Damien's pg transferring was a bigger deal than most people expected. They're barely beating teams like Nanakuli. But supposedly Forbes has an offer from Georgetown??? :hmm:

- Moanalua was likely the favorite coming into this season, but with Mello out and parents trying to control the situation, I see the crap hitting the fan. Moanalua won't have the talent to beat the ILH's best, anyway. Also, still no proof of Robinson Jr.'s Wichita State offer which is being published in almost every Moanalua write-up this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:01 pm Some of my own mental notes from over this past weekend:

- Kahuku won't be a factor in the OIA. Their 6'8" (that's generous) transfer is not cutting it. All comparisons to him and Tolu Smith need to stop already. The only chance I give them is if the football players they're missing are any good.

- Maryknoll's 6'10" sophomore is more hype than he is ready. Last summer they made it seem like he was going to dominate, but he's still not the best or most dominant player on the court when Maryknoll plays.

- 'Iolani could finish bottom 2 in the ILH.

- Damien's pg transferring was a bigger deal than most people expected. They're barely beating teams like Nanakuli. But supposedly Forbes has an offer from Georgetown??? :hmm:

- Moanalua was likely the favorite coming into this season, but with Mello out and parents trying to control the situation, I see the crap hitting the fan. Moanalua won't have the talent to beat the ILH's best, anyway. Also, still no proof of Robinson Jr.'s Wichita State offer which is being published in almost every Moanalua write-up this year.
@Naz:
1. That Maryknoll soph might not be a big deal, but I suspect the Spartans might be ranked #1 when the rankings come-out.
2. Even if Iolani is in the bottom 2, their girls have already been ranked #1.
3. Damien barely beat Nanakuli? That sucks for the Monarchs.
4. As for Moanalua, I think the AD needs to say: The coach is in charge of the team. If a parent doesn't like how he's coaching, that parent can remove his son from the team. Else, who's in charge? The coach has to be in charge. There can't be as many "coaches" as there are parents.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Wow, I feel bad for coach Mello. Hopefully he'll land a coaching job somewhere soon.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Parkpill wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 am Wow, I feel bad for coach Mello. Hopefully he'll land a coaching job somewhere soon.
@Parkpill: The politics involved in high-school coaching is regrettable. This seems to be a problem especially in basketball, especially girls' basketball. (I personally know two people who formerly coached girls' basketball--each at a different high school--but were "not re-hired," for questionable reasons. To protect their identities and privacy, I prefer not to elaborate.) Schools need to go back to the old days, like the mid-'70s. Back then, the role of coach was respected. People seemed to understand that the coach is in charge, and if the parent didn't like that particular coach or how he/she (It was usually "he" back then) coaches, that parent just told his child to quit. Nowadays, it seems some parents are more inclined to make a big stink, and create all kinds of drama. I look back with longing to the mid-'70s, when parents and players knew their places and their roles; things were more orderly and peaceable back then. Today, too many people seem to be out-of-control. It's bad enough when kids whine to the coach, but when their parents allow themselves to get into the act, it's appalling.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:51 pm
Parkpill wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 am Wow, I feel bad for coach Mello. Hopefully he'll land a coaching job somewhere soon.
@Parkpill: The politics involved in high-school coaching is regrettable. This seems to be a problem especially in basketball, especially girls' basketball. (I personally know two people who formerly coached girls' basketball--each at a different high school--but were "not re-hired," for questionable reasons. To protect their identities and privacy, I prefer not to elaborate.) Schools need to go back to the old days, like the mid-'70s. Back then, the role of coach was respected. People seemed to understand that the coach is in charge, and if the parent didn't like that particular coach or how he/she (It was usually "he" back then) coaches, that parent just told his child to quit. Nowadays, it seems some parents are more inclined to make a big stink, and create all kinds of drama. I look back with longing to the mid-'70s, when parents and players knew their places and their roles; things were more orderly and peaceable back then. Today, too many people seem to be out-of-control. It's bad enough when kids whine to the coach, but when their parents allow themselves to get into the act, it's appalling.
I totally agree. I coached high school basketball for 10 years and have seen it all.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Yep, preseason. What can you say. Kahuku is Kahuku. I'm sure Coach Akana will get the team running. In one publication that kid from Mary knoll was listed as 7'. Ok. Lotta misinformation out there. That and "offers", to attract offers??? Yep I think Maryknoll at #1 and maybe Kamehameha #2?? I don't see a solid dominating team. I think once the football lads get their basketball feet, then we can see some order. As I do believe with the exception of Maryknoll, the rest of the teams need football bodies to boisterous some bounce.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Iolani School's girls' basketball team kicked Kamehameha Schools' butts Tuesday night. That left a very bitter taste in my mouth, as I don't care for Iolani School. At the moment, Punahou School's boys' soccer team is ahead of Iolani School, 1-0. I never thought I'd like it when the Puns are ahead of any school in any sport, but I'm frustrated enough about the Raiders' girls' basketball team's wins, that I am right now. I would have preferred that it were girls' soccer, as I don't like it all that the Raider girls are being dominant in basketball. But, I guess you take what you can get. Right now, I'm not that bitter about the Raider boys. After all, they lost the D1 state football title, and it looks like the boys' basketball team might be only about average this year. It looks like no one will touch the Raider girls' basketball team, so the next best thing would be for some school to beat the Raider girls' soccer team; that would be nice.

OK; that's now a final score: Punahou 1, Iolani 0 (boys' soccer).