Cross Country 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Cross Country 2019

Post by hzy »

Two weeks left. The ILH has been interesting this year. Any idea why the Punahou boys and girls were mostly absent from the races yesterday?

808run
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808run »

Was it a testing weekend? I hope flu season hasn't arrived!

Rooting for cooler weather the next two weeks.

hzy

Post by hzy »

Thought you might have been right, but it looks like the ACT is actually next week on the 26th. I suppose the upcoming league championships will give us the best sneak peak to date to see how everyone is feeling- as long as no one misses the meet to take the test. 😳

808run
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808run »

States!

Boys - Not sure if there is a clear favorite for Team or Individual. Maui, Seabury, Kamehameha, Punahou, HBA, Waiakea, Island School? 5th Man will be everything. Individual appears to have strong contenders from MIL, BIIF, OIA, and ILH. Anything as exciting as the Iolani meet finish would be great.

Girls - HBA has new names in the top ten every week. Deep 7 works for me. Kealakehe and Punahou? All the leagues have strong FR/SO groups. OIA/ILH/BIIF all had Soph's win, I'll guess the same.

Kauai is hard make any guesses without results on Athletic.net. They will win everything.

How are qualifiers decided? Does a full team qualify for winning league or only individuals and hope you have at least 5 make it?

I don't even pretend to understand D1 and D2 in same individual race and team scored separately. I guess it works? Do schools get promoted/relegated, based on performance or just applying? I thought it was only football that intentionally tried to make things hard?

Good Races To All!

808run
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808run »

Great season to all finishers. With one kick and one steady build, Boys and Girls finishes were different in plan, but equally dedicated in mission.

hzy, were you surprised by how the individual races and teams finished? How do you think this plays out on the track?

When do the league awards come out? (Google showed Maui even had photos last year/excellent) Are there also All-State awards for Hawaii?

hzy

Post by hzy »

Honestly the races played out almost exactly how I expected, particularly the boys race. The individual race came down to the wire between the same individuals that battled it out last year, and it looks like Shields put in the work to pull it off this time. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the motivation and effort now that he’s losing the other two top Maui runners. The boys team race played out as expected, too. Having a pack of five like Punahou did is very hard to beat.

As for the girls race, I though Kaylee from Seabury was going to run away with it with the lead she had on the last loop to the finish. All the credit goes to Naylor staying steady and taking advantage of the situation.

As for the individual recognitions, it is up to the leagues and island newspapers to recognize league all-stars. State all-stars are only recognized at the state meet when they do the individual awards.

808run
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808run »

How small will the meets have to be this year? Will Tri/Quad meets be enough? Are there enough courses for weekends only might weekday afternoons be in play?

Virtual meets are boring.

michaelaskew
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by michaelaskew »

In my opinion, I haven't come across a course where using spikes would be advisable. There are often stretches of asphalt or concrete that could pose a risk. I believe the ideal choice would be spikeless cross country shoes with rubber studs.

You previously mentioned the abundance of golf courses available for running. However, the issue arises from the potential financial loss for these golf courses if they were to host a Saturday morning cross country event, running the risk of forfeiting thousands of dollars in revenue.
[url]https://coinflipper.net/[/url]