2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:19 am Kaimuki QB Maiava to Bishop Gorman per Hawaiiprepworld. Looks like the Hawaii transfer portal is up and running.

Just my thoughts,but I was coming to the realization that players who transferred to Mililani know they are going to play multiple national powers every year like St.John Bosco,Liberty,Bishop Gorman,etc. Now,with the alliance,they get St.Louis,and Punahou every year in addition to their annual showdowns with Kahuku. I hope the OIA stays in the alliance. It would be better for the kids.
@unpaid:
1. OK, does Maiava have much of a chance of starting at Bishop Gorman? I doubt it. Why not just stay, and start for Kaimuki? You know, for some kids/parents, the grass is always greener on the other side. So, in effect, he's flipping Kaimuki High off. Shouldn't Kaimuki alumni feel a little offended? Kaimuki High should say, "Good riddance."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:15 am
unpaid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:19 am Kaimuki QB Maiava to Bishop Gorman per Hawaiiprepworld. Looks like the Hawaii transfer portal is up and running.

Just my thoughts,but I was coming to the realization that players who transferred to Mililani know they are going to play multiple national powers every year like St.John Bosco,Liberty,Bishop Gorman,etc. Now,with the alliance,they get St.Louis,and Punahou every year in addition to their annual showdowns with Kahuku. I hope the OIA stays in the alliance. It would be better for the kids.
Hawaii Transfer Portal, I like that.

Heard a St. Louis QB is thinking about transferring to Mililani but the family will wait till spring practice to make a decision.

For Jayden Maiava it’s a no brainer to go to BG.

I can’t also help to think, that QB’s in Nevada are that bad that they had to go recruit a QB all the way from Hawaii.
@teamhawaii: There seems to be a "transfer portal" running from St Louis School to Mililani High. St Louis RB Sam transferred to Mililani, and now a St Louis QB might follow suit. As for Maiava, what's he going to do? Ride the pine for Bishop Gorman? Might as well have stayed here and started for Kaimuki. I mean, if all you're going to do is ride the pine, and not play, why transfer? Really. Did Bishop Gorman recruit Maiava to start, or just to join the team? Two posts back, unpaid said Maiava is transferring to Bishop Gorman; that gave me the impression that he's kind of just going on his personal initiative. But here, teamhawaii, you're saying he was recruited. If he was recruited, then that implies that he'll start, right? Unless Bishop Gorman is recruiting backups.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Heard a St. Louis QB is thinking about transferring to Mililani but the family will wait till spring practice to make a decision.

I can’t also help to think, that QB’s in Nevada are that bad that they had to go recruit a QB all the way from Hawaii.
Apo or Bianco? Or maybe even Graham?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:14 pm

I think it’s Apo. Bianco looked a little better than Apo, and Graham, what little I’ve seen of him, looked better than both Apo and Bianco. If Apo isn’t named starter I think he’s out. All the play time Apo has this season I don’t think he’s scored. But has thrown a few picks and a pick six.

But if they go to Mililani, they still gotta win the job there it’s not a given.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:21 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:14 pm

I think it’s Apo. Bianco looked a little better than Apo, and Graham, what little I’ve seen of him, looked better than both Apo and Bianco. If Apo isn’t named starter I think he’s out. All the play time Apo has this season I don’t think he’s scored. But has thrown a few picks and a pick six.

But if they go to Mililani, they still gotta win the job there it’s not a given.
@genks: Well, Agbayani will still be there this coming year, right? So, is Apo better than he? You say Apo has thrown a few picks, but look at how many Agbayani has thrown.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Jayden Maiava has an excellent shot to start at Bishop Gorman.Micah Bowens and a backup are both seniors and graduate. The only QB returnee is a 5-9 sophomore backup.Maiava is 6-4,210,threw for over 3,300 yards,41 TD's,fewer than 10 INT's,and rushed for 5 TD's this past year at Kaimuki. I think he's probably going to win the starting job for the Gaels next year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:06 pm HS Football Fanatic,

Jayden Maiava has an excellent shot to start at Bishop Gorman.Micah Bowens and a backup are both seniors and graduate. The only QB returnee is a 5-9 sophomore backup.Maiava is 6-4,210,threw for over 3,300 yards,41 TD's,fewer than 10 INT's,and rushed for 5 TD's this past year at Kaimuki. I think he's probably going to win the starting job for the Gaels next year.
@unpaid: Well, I guess I should be happy for him, but I have to believe that Kaimuki alumni are pissed that he's bailing. After all, Kaimuki is a school that doesn't have a large roster; there are players going both ways. They're probably not very deep at any position, including QB. And now they're losing a good QB. I mean, it's a free country of course, and Maiava can play for any school his parents want. But, it's quite a loss for the Dawgs. Again, Kaimuki alumni must be pissed.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

U no der going be no alliance next yea. 2 wordz: St Louis. I going say keep da alliance an kick St Lulu an Iolani out! Let dem play each udda all 17 weeks!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:02 pm U no der going be no alliance next yea. 2 wordz: St Louis. I going say keep da alliance an kick St Lulu an Iolani out! Let dem play each udda all 17 weeks!
@#1Kahuku: Play each other? But those two schools are in two different divisions. I think the only school that can beat St Louis next year is Punahou, and I do not want that to happen. I mean, I don't exactly like St Louis, but I would much rather have them than Punahou. Who can beat Iolani next year? Perhaps Hilo again? But then you'd have to wait until States.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:37 pm

@teamhawaii: There seems to be a "transfer portal" running from St Louis School to Mililani High. St Louis RB Sam transferred to Mililani, and now a St Louis QB might follow suit. As for Maiava, what's he going to do? Ride the pine for Bishop Gorman? Might as well have stayed here and started for Kaimuki. I mean, if all you're going to do is ride the pine, and not play, why transfer? Really. Did Bishop Gorman recruit Maiava to start, or just to join the team? Two posts back, unpaid said Maiava is transferring to Bishop Gorman; that gave me the impression that he's kind of just going on his personal initiative. But here, teamhawaii, you're saying he was recruited. If he was recruited, then that implies that he'll start, right? Unless Bishop Gorman is recruiting backups.
I’m assuming he’s going to start next year. Micah Bowen’s graduates this year and it doesn’t look like they have anyone in line. Jayden Maiava will do great too.

Getting tired of seeing Bishop Gorman poach players from Hawaii. But it is what it is.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:37 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:37 pm

I’m assuming he’s going to start next year. Micah Bowen’s graduates this year and it doesn’t look like they have anyone in line. Jayden Maiava will do great too.

Getting tired of seeing Bishop Gorman poach players from Hawaii. But it is what it is.
@teamhawaii: Getting tired? Be like me. Care less about mainland schools, and care less about players who defect to them. All I care about are Hawaii schools. Hawaii schools not good enough for some kid and his parents? Good riddance. Out of sight, out of mind.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.Thomas Aquinas had to come from behind to beat Edgewater 28-23......looks like Edgewater is comparable to Punahou.Raiders are obviously vulnerable. Still nothing on the www.geicobowlseries.com site yet....maybe the matchups get posted later Sunday or on Monday.

2021 Hawaii FB recruits update. Mason Tufaga,St.Louis,and Wynden Hoohuli,Mililani,are rated as 4-star(blue chip) recruits by 247. That service has released more rankings down to around 1100 players ,and some more Hawaii players have been added to their list of the best football talent in the country.

These are all rated as 3-stars in the expanded rank.

Titus Mokiau-Atimalala,Campbell
Kahanu Kia,Punahou
Kuao Pehipoa,Kamehameha
Zhen-Keith Sotelo,Waianae
Fatuvalu Iosefa,Mililani
Peter Manuma,Campbell

Rep the 808!
Last edited by unpaid on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Not a football guy but I heard before the football season that Maiava was only at Kaimuki for one season and then returning to Bishop. He came to play with his uncle or something like that.
Why would the Kaimuki Alumni be pissing themselves? It's not like Kaimuki had boosters that recruited him.
Why don't you guys praise the kid for getting a shot to be apart of a program like BG? Stop being the crabs in the bucket!
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:57 pm Not a football guy but I heard before the football season that Maiava was only at Kaimuki for one season and then returning to Bishop. He came to play with his uncle or something like that.
Why would the Kaimuki Alumni be pissing themselves? It's not like Kaimuki had boosters that recruited him.
Why don't you guys praise the kid for getting a shot to be apart of a program like BG? Stop being the crabs in the bucket!
@OldManJenkins: When I said Kaimuki alumni must be pissed, I meant that surely they aren't happy that their alma mater has lost a good QB. Now, if all Kaimuki alumni knew that Maiava would be staying for only one season, maybe not. Did all Kaimuki alumni know that? I doubt it. Regarding that old, "crabs pulling-down other crabs that try to get out of the bucket" saying, I offer this: Do Kaimuki alumni care more about their alma mater winning, or do they care more about one kid who is ditching their alma mater? Again, it probably depends on whether all Kaimuki alumni knew that he was staying only one season. For those who did know, perhaps not. But, let's take a Kaimuki alumnus who didn't know that. Would we expect him to say, "Maiava, I praise you for ditching my alma mater and playing for some other school!"? I have to assume that Kaimuki alumni care more about Kaimuki High than they do about Bishop Gorman High. I also have to assume that Kaimuki alumni care more about their alma mater than they do about one kid; especially one kid who is bailing. OK, Bishop Gorman is (much) better than Kaimuki in football. So, suppose Maiava does well there in football. How does that help Kaimuki High? So, how should Kaimuki alumni feel about it?

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

unpaid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am St.Thomas Aquinas had to come from behind to beat Edgewater 28-23......looks like Edgewater is comparable to Punahou.Raiders are obviously vulnerable. Still nothing on the www.geicobowlseries.com site yet....maybe the matchups get posted later Sunday or on Monday.

2021 Hawaii FB recruits update. Mason Tufaga,St.Louis,and Wynden Hoohuli,Mililani,are rated as 4-star(blue chip) recruits by 247. That service has released more rankings down to around 1100 players ,and some more Hawaii players have been added to their list of the best football talent in the country.

These are all rated as 3-stars in the expanded rank.

Titus Mokiau-Atimalala,Campbell
Kahanu Kia,Punahou
Kuao Pehipoa,Kamehameha
Zhen-Keith Sotelo,Kapolei
Fatuvalu Iosefa,Mililani
Peter Manuma,Campbell

Rep the 808!
Zhen-Keith Sotelo transferred to Waianae in the beginning of the 2019 Season. 247 hasn't updated it.

I expect Kahanu Kia-Punahou to make the biggest jump in the offseason, He has ideal size and just kind of been under the radar but once he hits the camp scene, he should blow up.

Teva Tafiti from the Sophomore class will probably be the #1 prospect once 247 comes out with their 2022 Hawaii Prospect List.