2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by genks »

Kam gave their shoulder stripes to Kahuku lol

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:39 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:45 pm
genks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:08 pm Quick thoughts,

From what I did see if the Mililani vs Campbell game, Congrats to Malosi and Hoohuli for both playing a great game. Qbs on both teams are young, looked pretty rough. Not sure what these 7 on 7 looked like but must’ve been really good if they thought Hipa was that good. Titus Mokiao-Atimalala is special and really fun to watch. Also made the qb’s stats look much better

Campbell counldnt stop the run, that will be tougher against Kahuku. Sam is very good, I’ve seen what he can do. But I gotta think Kahuku’s O line is bigger and meaner than Mililani’s. Good luck with that. But if the qb takes big steps through the season, he’s got some real playmakers. Gotta also consider that Rod York wansnt there.

I know this is reeeaaally early but based on that game, I wonder if the OIA title is headed back to the North Shore this year. People may be reminded to not write Kahuku off so fast.
@genks: I agree that Kahuku's O-line is probably bigger and meaner than Mililani's, but does Kahuku have an RB like Sam? I mean, good run-blocking is one thing, but having a good RB to run the ball is another. Sam had 257 yards; that's nuts, especially against an Open school. Does Kahuku have such an RB? I heard Kamehameha has a big, mean O-line, and I mention that because Kahuku plays Kamehameha tonight. I think both schools have big, mean O-lines, but does either school have an RB like Sam? I think Mililani can beat Kahuku. Mililani can move the ball; they moved it against Campbell, an Open school that was ranked above them. If your RB can get 257 yards against an Open school, you've got O. And, let's not forget that Mililani has an outstanding LB corps. Of course, this early, you can't write anyone off. But, unless and until Kahuku beats Mililani, I think the Trojans have the inside track for the OIA Open title.
Kam vs Kahuku is a great game, I’m pumped to see it. Kam does usually have a big, mean o line as does Kahuku. Kam usually favors slightly smaller, quicker RBs while Kahuku seems to like little more size but still very athletic. Don’t know a ton about either team before this game so this will be very interesting
@genks: Well, I'm not so sure Kamehameha "favors" smaller RBs. I think that that's just all they had the past few years. In fact, I'd imagine any school would prefer both: One big, power back, and one smaller, faster, shifty back. That way you get the best of both worlds, and it keeps the other school's D guessing. As for Kahuku, well, aren't they all about physical size. I think year-for-year, Kahuku usually fields the biggest team in terms of physical size. Kamehameha seems to be always big on the O-line, but not necessarily at the other positions. By contrast, Kahuku seems to be always big all-around.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm Kam gave their shoulder stripes to Kahuku lol
@genks: What do you mean? Does Kahuku have new unis? I noticed that Punahou does.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 pm
genks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm Kam gave their shoulder stripes to Kahuku lol
@genks: What do you mean? Does Kahuku have new unis? I noticed that Punahou does.
Yeah their red jerseys have white shoulder stripes similar to where LSU and Ole Miss has theirs. Kam used to have shoulder stripes, now looks like a stripe on the sleeve

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 pm
Yeah their red jerseys have white shoulder stripes similar to where LSU and Ole Miss has theirs. Kam used to have shoulder stripes, now looks like a stripe on the sleeve
@genks: So Kamehameha has new unis, too. That makes 3 Open schools with new unis: Kamehameha, Kahuku, and Punahou. Interesting. I hope Kamehameha kept their pants. I thought those white pants with the big blue stripe down the side with the word, "WARRIORS" in white letters in it, were pretty sharp. Oh, I just remembered: Looks like Mililani has new unis, too. That makes 4 Open schools with new unis. Mililani has those black pants with two yellow stripes down the side. Funny, they had that 2 years ago. Maybe they kept them in storage last year. But I noticed that they have new jerseys, black with yellow trim. They looked kind of lame last night; their school colors are brown and gold, but the unis they wore last night were black and yellow. They could pass for Nanakuli or McKinley, both of whose colors are black and gold.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Kam gets screwed. Not saying they would’ve won, but they maybe got into OT had the refs not given Kahuku that bogus TD. So kahuku actually wins at home by 1 point. They had 1 actual TD on offense and the pick 6. Pass rush against the young QB was very effective. Kahuku qb play very rough. Kahuku’s o line big and strong, so is rb.

Kam’s offense doing their best to leave the defense out to dry as usual. I always give credit to Kam’s defense because they almost never get help from their offense. Kam qb play is so bad. They need to work blitz counters also

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Love the fact that you hope Hugh recovers, genks. Considering everything, our freshman QB did well and helped us score twice. He also did a good job of escaping the pocket.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 pm Love the fact that you hope Hugh recovers, genks. Considering everything, our freshman QB did well and helped us score twice. He also did a good job of escaping the pocket.
I hope Hugh Brady heals up quick. I think they’re the 2nd best team in the state but if he’s gone for a significant amount of time, that’s a huge blow.

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Mililani & Campbell looks like they’re going to be the top 2 in the OIA.

This Kahuku win seemed more lucky than a solid W.

Their Defense looked great though. I didn’t understand some of the personnel changes on Defense when it was still close & play calling on offense.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

You know who Kahuku's new unis remind me of? Mater Dei, my favorite mainland team (since they are the Punahou of CA). Mater Dei's won the last two CIF championships and finished 2017 as the #1 team in the country. Maybe Kahuku thinks that looking that Mater Dei will inspire them to play like MD.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Prayers for Hugh Brady to completely recover from the knee injury.

Week Two,

1.St.Louis. 0-0 DNP open their season with No.5 Kapolei.
2.Punahou 2-0 The freshman QB kept the Puns offense rolling to a win over Farrington. No.6 Kamehameha next.
3.Mililani 1-0 Come from behind win against Campbell. No.4 Kahuku next.
4.Kahuku 1-0 defense shines in the win over Kamehameha.
5.Kapolei 2-0 beat Waianae. Move up four places. No.1 St.Louis next.
6.Campbell. 0-1 drop one spot with the loss to Mililani.
7.Kamehameha 0-1 drop one spot with a loss to Kahuku.
8.Hilo 0-0 DNP bumped back down to eight.
9.Leilehua 2-0 beat Kailua. Jump in at nine. No.10 Waipahu next.
10.Waipahu 1-1 hold at ten with the win over Castle.

Iolani drops out with a loss to Moanalua. Kahuku,Kamehameha,and Leilehua had strong defensive teams this week. There will be some interesting battles those guys are going to be involved in.

Open head to head standings,

Punahou 1-0
Mililani 1-0
Kahuku 1-0
Kapolei 1-0
St.Louis 0-0
Campbell 0-1
Kamehameha 0-1
Waianae 0-1
Farrington 0-1
Last edited by unpaid on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 pm Love the fact that you hope Hugh recovers, genks. Considering everything, our freshman QB did well and helped us score twice. He also did a good job of escaping the pocket.
Yeah buddy. Reading the play by play, he was killing against Kailua and Farrington till that injury happened. He’s a great player and deserves to compete. I’ll double down on what I said earlier, he is head and shoulders above Mil’s qb and Campbell’s qb.

I did read that the freshman came in and made some great plays.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:18 pm Kam gets screwed. Not saying they would’ve won, but they maybe got into OT had the refs not given Kahuku that bogus TD. So kahuku actually wins at home by 1 point. They had 1 actual TD on offense and the pick 6. Pass rush against the young QB was very effective. Kahuku qb play very rough. Kahuku’s o line big and strong, so is rb.

Kam’s offense doing their best to leave the defense out to dry as usual. I always give credit to Kam’s defense because they almost never get help from their offense. Kam qb play is so bad. They need to work blitz counters also
@genks: Well, two things about Kamehameha's QB problem. 1.) The projected starter (and last year's starter), Togiai, decided not to go out for football. He wants to concentrate on basketball. 2.) Keone, the starting QB last night, should have played better. That's the same kid who started two or three games as a freshman, for the vars. He really should have his act together better than he showed last night.

Yes, it must suck to play on D for Kamehameha. You get no help from the O. You're constantly fighting an uphill battle. A school shouldn't have to try to win a game with its D. I mean, that just sucks. And specifically, Kamehameha's pass game sucks.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: genks seems to be a good sport. He's a St Louis alumnus, yet he's wishing Punahou QB Brady well. But in the end, it might not matter whether Brady recovers, or whether he's done for the season. ILH Open gets only one state berth, and it seems quite certain that St Louis will take it, regardless of Brady.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 pm
I hope Hugh Brady heals up quick. I think they’re the 2nd best team in the state but if he’s gone for a significant amount of time, that’s a huge blow.
@teamhawaii: Don't count-out Mililani. I think Mililani can beat Punahou, even if Brady heals. But in that the case the game would be close, for sure. The key might be Mililani's outstanding LB corps. They'll need to do a "Botelho" on Brady, if he plays.