2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by gopunahou »

teamhawaii wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am
gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 am Kamehameha’s first and last drives of the game were the only time they threatened to score (they did at the start of the game). Our offense took its sweet time all game to get something going—tons of dropped passes or miscommunication between JK and his receivers. Kamehameha’s supposedly best offensive player—Skyler Ramos—only touched the ball about three times but injured himself in the 3rd quarter. Vincent Terrell put us in scoring position at least three times in the 3rd quarter, but we couldn’t capitalize. Our blocked punt and KSK’s bad field position on the ensuing position led to our two TD’s. I think if Hugh played, the score might’ve been 29-5 or 36-5.
If Hugh Brady played, Punahou would of won with ease.

Fortunately, JK has another tune up game this week vs. Kapolei. Schedule works out in his favor in terms of gaining confidence before his first real test against Long Beach Poly on the road.

Did Alakai Gilman play?
He did. He’s the one who blocked the punt that lead to our 1st TD.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:30 pm
genks wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:27 pm

I don’t think Kahuku was lucky at all, nor would I use the term escaped with a win. I thought Kahuku’s offense was not good, and they maybe got a little excited holding Kam Witt their 1st team defense. But I would say Kahuku owned that game. Some shenanigans with the score and Kam maybe would’ve gone to OT but even if they did, scoring was a huge problem for Kam. I would feel very comfortable saying Kahuku would’ve scored 1st even if it went to OT. The score didn’t tell the whole story of that game.

I would’ve loved to see my division rivals go at it to see what we may be dealing with but I couldn’t watch Kam vs Punahou. I have a feeling the score doesn’t tell the story of that game either and the momentum was most likely on Punahou’s side all game.

Just couldn’t comment because I didn’t watch it
@genks: I don't think "mo" was on Punahou's side until the 4th qrtr, as Kamehameha led all the way into the 4th qrtr. As I mentioned in a previous post, Kamehameha lost because of sucky special-teams play. Kamehameha's special teams allowed Punahou to block a punt, and Punahou recovered deep in Kamehameha's territory. That's what allowed Punahou to score the go-ahead TD.
Hmmmmm that is very interesting
@genks:
The only things interesting about a Kamehameha Schools football game are:
1.) "I wonder how much they'll lose by?" And...
2.) "I wonder whether their O will lose the game, or will their special teams also contribute to the loss?"

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm
Markeke wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:03 am As a RR fan that was brutal to watch. Totally out coached. The score was bad, but the d played pretty decent. That said, emotions high because of an ambulance injury, but NO way can you lose discipline on bench emptying brawl. No way that would have happen with Tata or Makoa Freitas. In fact I have not seen that in decades. Anyway 1-1, lol. Still got a lot of season left. Glad Waianae is at Kahuku next.
@Markeke:
But don't forget: Kahuku will have 3 players suspended. By the way, (not to hit you when you're down; I'm sure you're upset that your alma mater lost, but...) how could Kahuku's D have played pretty decent when Mililani scored 32 points? I know some of those points were scored on a fumble return, but that means 25 points were on the D. Some of Mililani's points may have come off of FGs, but that means Kahuku's D allowed Mililani to get close enough to the goal posts to attempt and convert.
Lol, I'm a RR fan but not alumni. My oldest grad from Kahuku. Remember? I think the 3 tossed was 2 defense and 1 Oline. Maybe after the review they can get 1 back (#90). Anyway on the game, Mililani had Kahuku pinned.deep all night. Kahuku D had played a decent game in the red zone. FG of 30,35 and 38 is not shabby for high school. Especially going 3 for 3. You may see him kick 40 yards as the season goes on I can see why the new kicker is in instead of McGhee. Another thing someone asked. Makoa Freitas was not let go. He was intern coach when Tata left. After his one season, he opt out.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 pm
Markeke wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:03 am As a RR fan that was brutal to watch. Totally out coached. The score was bad, but the d played pretty decent. That said, emotions high because of an ambulance injury, but NO way can you lose discipline on bench emptying brawl. No way that would have happen with Tata or Makoa Freitas. In fact I have not seen that in decades. Anyway 1-1, lol. Still got a lot of season left. Glad Waianae is at Kahuku next.
@Markeke:
But don't forget: Kahuku will have 3 players suspended. By the way, (not to hit you when you're down; I'm sure you're upset that your alma mater lost, but...) how could Kahuku's D have played pretty decent when Mililani scored 32 points? I know some of those points were scored on a fumble return, but that means 25 points were on the D. Some of Mililani's points may have come off of FGs, but that means Kahuku's D allowed Mililani to get close enough to the goal posts to attempt and convert.
Lol, I'm a RR fan but not alumni. My oldest grad from Kahuku. Remember? I think the 3 tossed was 2 defense and 1 Oline. Maybe after the review they can get 1 back (#90). Anyway on the game, Mililani had Kahuku pinned.deep all night. Kahuku D had played a decent game in the red zone. FG of 30,35 and 38 is not shabby for high school. Especially going 3 for 3. You may see him kick 40 yards as the season goes on I can see why the new kicker is in instead of McGhee. Another thing someone asked. Makoa Freitas was not let go. He was intern coach when Tata left. After his one season, he opt out.
@Markeke: Oh yeah; that's right. Now it rings a bell. Yes, now I remember you said that, quite a few months ago.

If I were Kahuku, I'd appeal the kid who came-in from the sideline. I'd say, "Mililani players starting coming from their sideline. The only reason they didn't get into the beef is that they were on the far sideline, so their coaches had time to stop them. The beef was near our sideline, so the kid from our sideline jumped into it before we had a chance to stop him." That way, Kahuku can hold-on to all their starters.

OK, it's apparent that Mililani has a kick-butt kicking game. They have a reliable FG kicker, and they have a punter who can pin the other school deep. Is it the same kid? Anyway, it's looking more and more that Mililani will take OIA Open. It also gives me reason to believe Mililani can beat Punahou.

Makes you wonder why Freitas left of his own volition. You know, Freitas is a Kamehameha alumnus. If current Kamehameha HC Maafala doesn't get some wins, might Kamehameha Schools contact Freitas next year?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football fanatic. Like gopunahou stated if Punahou QB gets a better feel for their receivers, they can beat Mililani. Campbell toasted the dbs. Remember Mililani rode the back of Sam for the win. I believe Punahou d line and lbs.can stop that.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@Markeke:
Didn’t he apply for the HC job? I thought I remembered hearing that he had to apply, which I thought was weird because I guess they couldn’t just name him HC

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Markeke wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:27 pm HS Football fanatic. Like gopunahou stated if Punahou QB gets a better feel for their receivers, they can beat Mililani. Campbell toasted the dbs. Remember Mililani rode the back of Sam for the win. I believe Punahou d line and lbs.can stop that.
Mililani's QB Agbayani should get better as the season goes on, too. He threw two TD passes against Kahuku vs none against Campbell, so I'd say that's progress. MIL vs PUN two months from now? Barring multiple injuries, I'll take the Trojans.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

bandits1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:22 pm
Markeke wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:27 pm HS Football fanatic. Like gopunahou stated if Punahou QB gets a better feel for their receivers, they can beat Mililani. Campbell toasted the dbs. Remember Mililani rode the back of Sam for the win. I believe Punahou d line and lbs.can stop that.
Mililani's QB Agbayani should get better as the season goes on, too. He threw two TD passes against Kahuku vs none against Campbell, so I'd say that's progress. MIL vs PUN two months from now? Barring multiple injuries, I'll take the Trojans.
I doubt that Punahou will crush Mililani as much as they did last year, but my honest opinion is that that game could go either way. Mililani's defense certainly can't afford to play as bad as it did against Punahou last year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:26 amI doubt that Punahou will crush Mililani as much as they did last year, but my honest opinion is that that game could go either way. Mililani's defense certainly can't afford to play as bad as it did against Punahou last year.
Most/all of the Trojans' transfers on D seem to be making sizable individual contributions. Add that to the incumbents from last season and they look much improved on paper and, so far, on the field. I need to see how they work as a complete unit some more since their secondary's only real test came against Campbell and that was the very first regular season game, which has proven to not being a good measuring stick for anything negative about any team. Assuming everyone on both teams gets better as the season goes along, I still pick the Trojans.

We'll find out Oct. 11. It's at Aloha Stadium so that's as neutral as you can reasonably get, I guess.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Markeke: OK, but what's to stop the Mililani QB from getting a better feel for his receivers? And, haven't guys been saying that Kahuku's D is tough? Mililani beat Kahuku 32-0. Yes, not all of that is on Kahuku's D; Mililani's kicking game had a lot to do with that final score. But then, Mililani can use that same kicking game against Punahou. Punahou's got good LBs? I have to believe Mililani's LBs are just as good; look at all the transfers Mililani got at that position. Mililani beat Campbell, and most polls had Campbell and Punahou right next to each other, before Brady got injured. Sam is an outstanding RB; he's looking like the Failauga of OIA Open. Does Punahou have an RB as good? I'm not suggesting that Mililani would beat Punahou 32-0, but, they don't have to. Beating them by 3 or 7 would do just as well. And, if the game comes down to an FG, let's remember that Mililani's FG kicker was 3-for-3 against Kahuku. I'm liking Mililani's chances against Punahou. Guess I'll borrow McDonald's' jingle: "I'm liking it."

Go Trojans.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS football fanatic. No doubt the MVP at Mililani might be the new kicker. He also went 3 for 3 at Campbell, 30,35,44. Wow. And Campbell is grass (lol). I like to see how he does at Aloha. As for Punahou having a rb like Sam, I think they just make adjustments on D. But yes both QBS have time to get better but with a gauntlet of Long Beach Poly,StL. for Punahou, and St.John Bosco and Stl. for Mililani, many other things could happen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:45 pm HS football fanatic. No doubt the MVP at Mililani might be the new kicker. He also went 3 for 3 at Campbell, 30,35,44. Wow. And Campbell is grass (lol). I like to see how he does at Aloha. As for Punahou having a rb like Sam, I think they just make adjustments on D. But yes both QBS have time to get better but with a gauntlet of Long Beach Poly,StL. for Punahou, and St.John Bosco and Stl. for Mililani, many other things could happen.
@Markeke: Well, if Punahou makes adjustments on D to contain Sam, I have to think that opens-up the pass game for Mililani. Agbayani is just going to have to get better as a passer, and take advantage. I would assume Mililani's OC sees the situation coming: Punahou is going to focus on Sam; try to kill 'em with the pass game.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I think Freitas has full-time job at BYU-UH. Don't think he wanted to take HC job either way. He's still on JV staff though

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm I think Freitas has full-time job at BYU-UH. Don't think he wanted to take HC job either way. He's still on JV staff though
Yes, BYU Hawaii. I think as an accountant. Mathematical mind.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

@Markeke:
Admin made Makoa Freitas re apply in the pool of candidates. He wasn’t chosen after that process.

But Makoa made it clear that he wanted to return as HC. If Makoa Freitas was selected as HC. Sol Jay Maiava probably would of stayed.