2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:39 pm
Markeke wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm

@Markeke:
But don't forget: Kahuku will have 3 players suspended. By the way, (not to hit you when you're down; I'm sure you're upset that your alma mater lost, but...) how could Kahuku's D have played pretty decent when Mililani scored 32 points? I know some of those points were scored on a fumble return, but that means 25 points were on the D. Some of Mililani's points may have come off of FGs, but that means Kahuku's D allowed Mililani to get close enough to the goal posts to attempt and convert.
Lol, I'm a RR fan but not alumni. My oldest grad from Kahuku. Remember? I think the 3 tossed was 2 defense and 1 Oline. Maybe after the review they can get 1 back (#90). Anyway on the game, Mililani had Kahuku pinned.deep all night. Kahuku D had played a decent game in the red zone. FG of 30,35 and 38 is not shabby for high school. Especially going 3 for 3. You may see him kick 40 yards as the season goes on I can see why the new kicker is in instead of McGhee. Another thing someone asked. Makoa Freitas was not let go. He was intern coach when Tata left. After his one season, he opt out.
Admin made Makoa Freitas re apply in the pool of candidates. He wasn’t chosen after that process.

But Makoa made it clear that he wanted to return as HC. If Makoa Freitas was selected as HC. Sol Jay Maiava probably would of stayed.
@teamhawaii: I don't know what calculus Kahuku High used in rejecting Freitas. What we do know is that, right now, Kahuku's football team isn't doing very well. Getting blown-out by Mililani 32-0 must have really ticked-off a lot of Kahuku alumni. Kahuku High has a great football tradition, and it's not too far removed, time-wise. Freitas is free to apply to any school that might have an opening at HC. Makes you wonder whether Kahuku High made a mistake rejecting him.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’d hate to see Kahuku go the way of Waianae, but I don’t think the community will let that happen.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 pm I’d hate to see Kahuku go the way of Waianae, but I don’t think the community will let that happen.
@gopunahou: Yes, Waianae High also has a great football tradition, though it hasn't been dominant for some seven years or more. As regards Kahuku High, I wonder how much of a role the community plays. After all, not everyone who lives in Kahuku district, are alumni. I would like to think it's the alumni who play a greater role. For example, let's pretend you live in Kahuku district. You're a Punahou alumnus, not a Kahuku alumnus. So, your primary allegiance would be to Punahou School. And, I'd say no one should expect you to support Kahuku High just because you happen to live in that school's district. I think it should be all about which school you attended, not where you happen to live. So, to me, a school should emphasize alumni, not geographic community. Furthermore, just because Kahuku High is named after the community, doesn't mean everyone who happens to live in that community should feel compelled to support it. Kaiser High is named after a person, not a community. Therefore, perhaps even more so, people who live in its community (Hawaii Kai) shouldn't feel compelled to support it just because they happen to live there. Shouldn't matter what a school's name is; shouldn't matter where the school is located. The focus should be on the alumni.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 pm
Markeke wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 pm
Lol, I'm a RR fan but not alumni. My oldest grad from Kahuku. Remember? I think the 3 tossed was 2 defense and 1 Oline. Maybe after the review they can get 1 back (#90). Anyway on the game, Mililani had Kahuku pinned.deep all night. Kahuku D had played a decent game in the red zone. FG of 30,35 and 38 is not shabby for high school. Especially going 3 for 3. You may see him kick 40 yards as the season goes on I can see why the new kicker is in instead of McGhee. Another thing someone asked. Makoa Freitas was not let go. He was intern coach when Tata left. After his one season, he opt out.
Admin made Makoa Freitas re apply in the pool of candidates. He wasn’t chosen after that process.

But Makoa made it clear that he wanted to return as HC. If Makoa Freitas was selected as HC. Sol Jay Maiava probably would of stayed.
@teamhawaii: I don't know what calculus Kahuku High used in rejecting Freitas. What we do know is that, right now, Kahuku's football team isn't doing very well. Getting blown-out by Mililani 32-0 must have really ticked-off a lot of Kahuku alumni. Kahuku High has a great football tradition, and it's not too far removed, time-wise. Freitas is free to apply to any school that might have an opening at HC. Makes you wonder whether Kahuku High made a mistake rejecting him.
Yeah, I enjoyed seeing Makoa at Kahuku too. He did good with the boys. Carvalho looks like a yes man. Obviously, admin loves him, hence he still has a job.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:11 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed seeing Makoa at Kahuku too. He did good with the boys. Carvalho looks like a yes man. Obviously, admin loves him, hence he still has a job.
@teamhawaii: Yeah, I think it's a difficult and awkward situation. Being an AD must surely be fraught with pressure and politics. Primarily, you've got parents coming at you; parents of players in the many sports a school offers. You've got all the coaches to deal with. So, I suppose an AD would want a yes-man as a coach. Such a coach won't give you much flak. But, if that coach isn't very successful in the win column, at some point the alumni are going get on the AD's and/or Principal's case. I mean, I can't begin to imagine how pissed Kahuku alumni are about the 32-0 loss to Mililani. If the score were, say, 32-28, not so bad. But I strongly suspect that the 32-0 result has Kahuku alumni fuming and resentful. They aren't used to taking that kind of drubbing; not in football. At some point, the doo-doo will hit the fan, and Kahuku's AD and Principal are going to get spattered with it. I hope Kahuku's AD has a Plan B.

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:08 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 pm I’d hate to see Kahuku go the way of Waianae, but I don’t think the community will let that happen.
@gopunahou: Yes, Waianae High also has a great football tradition, though it hasn't been dominant for some seven years or more. As regards Kahuku High, I wonder how much of a role the community plays. After all, not everyone who lives in Kahuku district, are alumni. I would like to think it's the alumni who play a greater role. For example, let's pretend you live in Kahuku district. You're a Punahou alumnus, not a Kahuku alumnus. So, your primary allegiance would be to Punahou School. And, I'd say no one should expect you to support Kahuku High just because you happen to live in that school's district. I think it should be all about which school you attended, not where you happen to live. So, to me, a school should emphasize alumni, not geographic community. Furthermore, just because Kahuku High is named after the community, doesn't mean everyone who happens to live in that community should feel compelled to support it. Kaiser High is named after a person, not a community. Therefore, perhaps even more so, people who live in its community (Hawaii Kai) shouldn't feel compelled to support it just because they happen to live there. Shouldn't matter what a school's name is; shouldn't matter where the school is located. The focus should be on the alumni.

It is definitely the alumni AND the community. Some of the biggest Kahuku fans here on the North Shore are not alumni. People in the community who grew up in the islands, or the mainland, or even grew up here and attended private schools are still huge fans and consider themselves RR4L. If you lived here you would understand. The alumni outside of the community are also very active and engaged in Kahuku athletics. See the support we get when our team travels to Vegas and Utah.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:03 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:08 pm

It is definitely the alumni AND the community. Some of the biggest Kahuku fans here on the North Shore are not alumni. People in the community who grew up in the islands, or the mainland, or even grew up here and attended private schools are still huge fans and consider themselves RR4L. If you lived here you would understand. The alumni outside of the community are also very active and engaged in Kahuku athletics. See the support we get when our team travels to Vegas and Utah.
@Aitorahi: Oh yeah, that's true in the case of Kahuku High. I remember several years ago, there was almost a parade for the football team. All I'm saying is that, that's not true for every high school. I would give examples, but then the alumni of those schools might not appreciate that. I guess I'm also trying to suggest that the "playing field" should be leveled, as much as possible, for all high schools, including private schools. For example, Punahou School is located in Makiki. But, I don't think we can say that the Makiki community supports Punahou School. That's because Punahou School is a private high school, and its students and alumni come from all over the island. As a private high school, Punahou School is not a "community school." Therefore, Punahou School needs to rely primarily on its alumni for support, and not the Makiki community. Well, if that's the case for a private high school, perhaps public high schools can follow that lead. Of course, we're not saying that residents of Kahuku community who are not Kahuku alumni cannot or should not support Kahuku High; a school would not want to turn down any supporter. But then, for example, Punahou could rightfully say, "Well, we have to rely on our alumni, not the Makiki community. Public high schools get to rely on the communities they're located in, simply because public high schools are community schools." Then it starts to look like public high schools are using the communities they're located in, as a crutch. All I'm saying is that when a public high school explicitly tries to include the community it's located in as supporters, what's to stop a private high school from saying, "Well, we get by without that." I guess I'm trying to somehow "standardize" schools as much as possible, so that there are fewer perceived "crutches" that a public school relies on. I.e., I would like to see Kahuku High say, "Our alumni support us just as much as Punahou School alumni support that school, and we're willing to say that Kahuku High can rely just as exclusively on its alumni as Punahou School can on its alumni." I guess it's a psychological thing for me.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

St.Louis vs.Campbell predictions. The "illegal" fireworks goes off at 1 minute into the 4th, and HPD go do nada. Crooks 1 HPD 0.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:52 pm St.Louis vs.Campbell predictions. The "illegal" fireworks goes off at 1 minute into the 4th, and HPD go do nada. Crooks 1 HPD 0.
@Markeke: I'd love to see a Campbell upset, but of course it ain't gonna happen.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Markeke wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:52 pm St.Louis vs.Campbell predictions. The "illegal" fireworks goes off at 1 minute into the 4th, and HPD go do nada. Crooks 1 HPD 0.
@Markeke: I'd love to see a Campbell upset, but of course it ain't gonna happen.
Lol. No, when Campbell plays on OC16, somebody usually shoot off aerials.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Lol. No, when Campbell plays on OC16, somebody usually shoot off aerials.
@Markeke: That's a poor reflection on Campbell High. Hope it's not their alumni doing that. Campbell High unfortunately doesn't have the highest of reputations, and stuff like that doesn't help.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Gaaaaaamme Niiiiigght!!!!

Can the Crusaders contain the hype train that is the Campbell offense? Again looking for a defensive score, and big time pressure on the qb.

Can Campbell stop Jayden from shredding the defense? He’s looking strong this year and officially went 12 for 13 but was actually 13 for 13 last game. The receivers were on it last week, can they keep it up this week?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 pm Gaaaaaamme Niiiiigght!!!!

Can the Crusaders contain the hype train that is the Campbell offense? Again looking for a defensive score, and big time pressure on the qb.

Can Campbell stop Jayden from shredding the defense? He’s looking strong this year and officially went 12 for 13 but was actually 13 for 13 last game. The receivers were on it last week, can they keep it up this week?
@genks:
1. Can the Saints contain the Sabers' O? Yes.
2. Can the Sabers stop De Laura from shredding their D? No.
3. Can the Saints' receivers keep it up this week? Doesn't matter because...

It's going to be a W for the Saints.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

That hit was NOT targeting, the db made the play and broke the pass up. The flag came out super late, ref threw it when he was that Mokiao Atimalala was hurt.

Would’ve been nice if they didn’t allow 14 points in the 1st half also. Should’ve let Jordan and Nick rush as usual and let them finish the half. I don’t think that Hippa is a good qb and he shouldn’t have been able to score 14.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Speaking of injuries, will the OIA want to continue inter league play after this year if injuries pile up for their teams (they couldn’t give a crap if ILH open teams suffer a slew of injuries)? I ask because during the ‘90s, the OIA used the three-tiered system (Red, white, and blue) but had Red teams complain about suffering injuries because of playing the best teams week in and week out. These OIA teams also claimed that it cost them Prep Bowls.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!