2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by teamhawaii »

bandits1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:05 am It seems to me that in order for Kahuku to successfully run it's somewhat limited and predictable offensive scheme they need superior athletes with superior execution. They've had lots of both for much of the 2000s, with opposing teams knowing what was coming but largely unable to stop it. Now that they're apparently lacking one or the other or both, like others have said they have to open up their playbook or end up regressing to being a mediocre team playing ineffective, throwback-style football like Waianae(until this season, anyway).
I wouldn’t write off Waianae yet. They’ve played Waipahu & Kapolei and none of their defense impresses me.

If they throw for 200 on the top tier OPEN teams than yeah, I’ll say they progressed.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pm
bandits1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:05 am It seems to me that in order for Kahuku to successfully run it's somewhat limited and predictable offensive scheme they need superior athletes with superior execution. They've had lots of both for much of the 2000s, with opposing teams knowing what was coming but largely unable to stop it. Now that they're apparently lacking one or the other or both, like others have said they have to open up their playbook or end up regressing to being a mediocre team playing ineffective, throwback-style football like Waianae(until this season, anyway).
I wouldn’t write off Waianae yet. They’ve played Waipahu & Kapolei and none of their defense impresses me.

If they throw for 200 on the top tier OPEN teams than yeah, I’ll say they progressed.
This is true. Plus it seems like most of the big pass plays come from 50/50 plays that the receiver makes, not really from a nicely placed ball or a receiver that’s schemed open. Not really a solid passing offense but I am rooting for them. They had an awful season last year and have already done better this year. Gotta love an underdog

Mililani’s dbs have looked good from last year, will be tough to win many of those match ups against them.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pmI wouldn’t write off Waianae yet. They’ve played Waipahu & Kapolei and none of their defense impresses me.

Yup, that's why I added the "until this season" comment. So far, Waianae's new coach has embraced passing the ball, which is a great thing, tradition be damned. If you have athletes available who can throw the ball, then throw it at least a little bit to keep defenses honest.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

bandits1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:42 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pmI wouldn’t write off Waianae yet. They’ve played Waipahu & Kapolei and none of their defense impresses me.

Yup, that's why I added the "until this season" comment. So far, Waianae's new coach has embraced passing the ball, which is a great thing, tradition be damned. If you have athletes available who can throw the ball, then throw it at least a little bit to keep defenses honest.
I was at the Waianae @ Mililani game last year. They lined up in the same formation most of the time and was really predictable. When they did pass or PA, they sent 2 receivers out which quickly became double covered. Folks in the stands were frustrated and rightfully so. Why keep doing the same thing over and over when you probably average somewhere between -1 and 2 yards per play. They just need to keep at it and develop that part of their game.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

bandits1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Exactly. No defense will play honest against Kahuku.

Hopefully they can incorporate a stable 7on7 Team in the offseason to establish the passing game.

A lot of Kahuku players would be on “Hukilau Cafe” which was coached by DJ. But for obvious reasons he had to give that team up due to his affiliation with Campbell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 pm teamhawaii, I think Robby Toma is Kahuku’s OC, but I don’t think he’s got much control as far as playcalling goes. If he did, their offense would look kind of like ours last year, since he was our OC last year.
@gopunahou: If HC Carvalho is doing the play-calling, he'd better stop. They got blanked.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm How much trouble is Sterling Carvalho in right now? Or was there no other real candidates?
@genks: I'd say he's in very deep doo-doo. I'm surprised he returned after last season. Kahuku alumni aren't used to seeing their alma mater lose in football. They've had to get used to losing badly to St Louis, and now they lose badly to Mililani? I suspect Kahuku alumni are on the warpath now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:43 pm
genks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm How much trouble is Sterling Carvalho in right now? Or was there no other real candidates?
Reggie Torres is an assistant. Kahuku faithful might demand that he return as HC. It was idiotic not to let Makoa Freitas stay on. That team was 53 seconds away from taking the title.
@gopunahou:
The question is: Who was responsible for canning Freitas? The AD? The Principal? I agree that Freitas should have been asked to return. Now the doo-doo has hit the fan, and Kahuku and its alumni are being spattered with it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 pm Kahuku is facing four or five more losses as we speak. They play us near the end of the season, which'll give JK plenty of time to improve his connection with his WRs.
@gopunahou: Don't count your chickens before they hatch. That gives Adolpho just as much time to improve his connection with his receivers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:03 am As a RR fan that was brutal to watch. Totally out coached. The score was bad, but the d played pretty decent. That said, emotions high because of an ambulance injury, but NO way can you lose discipline on bench emptying brawl. No way that would have happen with Tata or Makoa Freitas. In fact I have not seen that in decades. Anyway 1-1, lol. Still got a lot of season left. Glad Waianae is at Kahuku next.
@Markeke:
But don't forget: Kahuku will have 3 players suspended. By the way, (not to hit you when you're down; I'm sure you're upset that your alma mater lost, but...) how could Kahuku's D have played pretty decent when Mililani scored 32 points? I know some of those points were scored on a fumble return, but that means 25 points were on the D. Some of Mililani's points may have come off of FGs, but that means Kahuku's D allowed Mililani to get close enough to the goal posts to attempt and convert.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pm

@teamhawaii: Well, Waianae seems to have a pass game this year, which is pretty amazing. I mean, as much as schools like Kahuku are known for smashmouth ball, Kahuku has had decent QBs despite that. When was the last time Waianae had a QB who was decent passing?

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm
Markeke wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:03 am As a RR fan that was brutal to watch. Totally out coached. The score was bad, but the d played pretty decent. That said, emotions high because of an ambulance injury, but NO way can you lose discipline on bench emptying brawl. No way that would have happen with Tata or Makoa Freitas. In fact I have not seen that in decades. Anyway 1-1, lol. Still got a lot of season left. Glad Waianae is at Kahuku next.
@Markeke:
But don't forget: Kahuku will have 3 players suspended. By the way, (not to hit you when you're down; I'm sure you're upset that your alma mater lost, but...) how could Kahuku's D have played pretty decent when Mililani scored 32 points? I know some of those points were scored on a fumble return, but that means 25 points were on the D. Some of Mililani's points may have come off of FGs, but that means Kahuku's D allowed Mililani to get close enough to the goal posts to attempt and convert.
Don’t read to much into that stat line. Kahuku Defense did fairly well in what they had to work with.

9 Points was the Special Teams Fault...Safety & Bad Snap from a punt in the endzone.

Mililani had great field position the whole game bc their Defense was lights out and Hoohuli pinning them down in the punt team.

Mililani could of went 40+ on Kahuku but there working some kinks on their offense.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The good news for Kahuku is that they play Waianae. I think that may be just what the doctor ordered. I'm thinking Kahuku 20, Waianae 0.

On the subject of picking games, who else misses the weekly pick'ems that appeared in years past?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm The good news for Kahuku is that they play Waianae. I think that may be just what the doctor ordered. I'm thinking Kahuku 20, Waianae 0.

On the subject of picking games, who else misses the weekly pick'ems that appeared in years past?
@gopunahou:
1.) Kahuku will have 3 players suspended.
2.) Waianae seems to have a pass game.

Even if Kahuku wins, I don't think it will be by as much as 20 points. Furthermore, I doubt that they'll shut Waianae out. If Waianae is "just what the doctor ordered," it might be time to find another doctor.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:52 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm The good news for Kahuku is that they play Waianae. I think that may be just what the doctor ordered. I'm thinking Kahuku 20, Waianae 0.

@gopunahou:
1.) Kahuku will have 3 players suspended.
2.) Waianae seems to have a pass game.

Even if Kahuku wins, I don't think it will be by as much as 20 points. Furthermore, I doubt that they'll shut Waianae out. If Waianae is "just what the doctor ordered," it might be time to find another doctor.
I doubt Waianae’s pass game will do well against Kahuku