2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by teamhawaii »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 pm teamhawaii, I think Robby Toma is Kahuku’s OC, but I don’t think he’s got much control as far as playcalling goes. If he did, their offense would look kind of like ours last year, since he was our OC last year.
I can see that, in terms of not getting too much say.

They need to ride with Tiger Adolpho. He has an offer for a reason. Good size, good arm. The offense looked fluid and showed signs of life towards the end of the half.

Use Mana Fonoimoana for goal line or killing the clock.

Even Darren Hernandez is stating the obvious on tv lol
Is Tiger Adolpho Nui Adolpho’s brother?
No. But I think they’re 1st cousins.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

How much trouble is Sterling Carvalho in right now? Or was there no other real candidates?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm How much trouble is Sterling Carvalho in right now? Or was there no other real candidates?
Reggie Torres is an assistant. Kahuku faithful might demand that he return as HC. It was idiotic not to let Makoa Freitas stay on. That team was 53 seconds away from taking the title.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

genks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm How much trouble is Sterling Carvalho in right now? Or was there no other real candidates?
It’s amazing how Sterling Carvalho still has a job. No wonder Sol Jay Maiava transferred out as soon as he was named the HC.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Reggie Torres is an assistant. Kahuku faithful might demand that he return as HC. It was idiotic not to let Makoa Freitas stay on. That team was 53 seconds away from taking the title.
Yes. Granted Freitas had a talented qb in Soljay, but the team was good under him. I remember hearing people say Soljay threatened to leave if Freitas didn’t have him pass a lot more than the previous year. But I was surprised to hear someone else was coming in instead of Freitas. I just figured Carvalho must be a great coach if he’s replacing Freitas. I’m not sure how much of Carvalho’s problems has been personnel, vs him lacking as a coach. Sauvao did alright at qb who left Kahuku in a tough spot by leaving. Imagine if Adolpho leaves next year because of being frustrated this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kahuku is facing four or five more losses as we speak. They play us near the end of the season, which'll give JK plenty of time to improve his connection with his WRs.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Hoohuli has been huge for Mililani in the last 2 games. 2 picks in a 4 point game, sack and safety tonight. Deblake been really solid also. I’d imagine the offers will be pouring in

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

teamhawaii wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 pm
genks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm
I know Kahuku is struggling by their standards, but has Mililani officially replaced Waianae as their primary challenger?
I’d say so. It looks like they are only picking up momentum as far as players transferring in. Kahuku maybe gotten a little bit of false confidence in the defense against Kam. I saw lots of people on HPW saying “Kam couldn’t score on the 1st team defense” which we know isn’t that big of a deal.
I don’t think Defense is their problem.

Special Teams literally gave up 9 Free points

Offensive Coordinator is bad too. Mana Fonoimoana is a great ATH but Mililani Defense already knows they won’t & can’t pass. It’s 2019 and they still haven’t found a serviceable Pass offense.
You can say the same about Farrington, Kamehameha, and Waianae (up until this year)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

When I saw 32-0 Mililani over Kahuku,I was surprised.Defenses are catching up to Kahuku's level and stopping that ground and pound offense. I agree that Kahuku needs to open things up a little,maybe a lot. The other Open teams are figuring out that elephant package.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Can anyone confirm if Kahuku is still there?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

All the Open teams are done for the week,so,it's a day earlier than usual,but here are the current Open head to head standings,

Punahou 2-0
Mililani 2-0
St.Louis 1-0
Kahuku 1-1
Campbell 1-1
Kapolei 1-1
Waianae 0-1
Kamehameha 0-2
Farrington 0-2

Looks like Kahuku is still there in the middle of the pack.Still plenty of football to be played.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

genks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Yes. Granted Freitas had a talented qb in Soljay, but the team was good under him. I remember hearing people say Soljay threatened to leave if Freitas didn’t have him pass a lot more than the previous year. But I was surprised to hear someone else was coming in instead of Freitas. I just figured Carvalho must be a great coach if he’s replacing Freitas. I’m not sure how much of Carvalho’s problems has been personnel, vs him lacking as a coach. Sauvao did alright at qb who left Kahuku in a tough spot by leaving. Imagine if Adolpho leaves next year because of being frustrated this year.
It must be a sign, that what was your starting QB’s Sol Jay Maiava & Robbie Sauvao has transferred out.

I hope Tiger Adolpho stays, he looks like a promising QB and he has strong ties to Kahuku. But I wouldn’t blame him if he transfers out.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:44 am When I saw 32-0 Mililani over Kahuku,I was surprised.Defenses are catching up to Kahuku's level and stopping that ground and pound offense. I agree that Kahuku needs to open things up a little,maybe a lot. The other Open teams are figuring out that elephant package.
Kahuku is using the elephant package as their starting offense lol

They could get away with it before bc they had the athletes and a soft schedule back in the day.

Now that it’s the OPEN DIVISION and you face quality opponents each week, they’re getting exposed.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

As a RR fan that was brutal to watch. Totally out coached. The score was bad, but the d played pretty decent. That said, emotions high because of an ambulance injury, but NO way can you lose discipline on bench emptying brawl. No way that would have happen with Tata or Makoa Freitas. In fact I have not seen that in decades. Anyway 1-1, lol. Still got a lot of season left. Glad Waianae is at Kahuku next.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

It seems to me that in order for Kahuku to successfully run it's somewhat limited and predictable offensive scheme they need superior athletes with superior execution. They've had lots of both for much of the 2000s, with opposing teams knowing what was coming but largely unable to stop it. Now that they're apparently lacking one or the other or both, like others have said they have to open up their playbook or end up regressing to being a mediocre team playing ineffective, throwback-style football like Waianae(until this season, anyway).