2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:07 pm What I’m hoping is that we don’t revert to our 1997-2004 form. You know how much KSK is struggling right now? Those teams would beat our 1997-2004 editions. Hell, between 1997 and 2001, we had a LOSING record against Iolani. And couldn’t beat Pac-Five in 1998.
@gopunahou: I don't know how much you have to worry about. Look ahead; I think Punahou has a legitimate chance to unseat St Louis for the ILH Open title. However, I don't know about the State title. Kahuku looks tough for next year. For one thing, they had a kick-butt JV this past season; those players move-up to vars for next season.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:14 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 am Punahou did not have a JV team this year. Only an intermediate team that's why there were freshman and sophomores who probably could have benefited from a year of JV playing on the varsity team. Punahou is the youngest and smallest varsity team in the Open this year. I definitely commend them on performing the way they did this season especially after losing a senior heavy team the year before.
@ka'ahupahau706: OK, that is an absolute shocker. I mean, I can't remember a time when Punahou School didn't have a JV. I mean, that school's enrollment has always been adequate to field a JV. And, I doubt that it's because not enough players turned-out for JV. I suspect that there was some kind of coach-related or parental problem, perhaps something like what happened at Kaiser High last year. Anyone know?
I can assure you, it's definitely because of numbers. Not enough kids currently in the school that play football. Last time there was no JV team was back in 2004. Coaching/Parental issues are minor compared to that year at Kaiser. Haha!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’ve said this many times about next year’s team—running back is a concern for now, considering VT saw at least 90% of the carries.

And HS FB Fanatic, a return to the state of Punahou FB between 1997-2004 is every Punahou fan’s worst nightmare. That, or struggling as much as we did in the mid-80s.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:14 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 am Punahou did not have a JV team this year. Only an intermediate team that's why there were freshman and sophomores who probably could have benefited from a year of JV playing on the varsity team. Punahou is the youngest and smallest varsity team in the Open this year. I definitely commend them on performing the way they did this season especially after losing a senior heavy team the year before.
@ka'ahupahau706: OK, that is an absolute shocker. I mean, I can't remember a time when Punahou School didn't have a JV. I mean, that school's enrollment has always been adequate to field a JV. And, I doubt that it's because not enough players turned-out for JV. I suspect that there was some kind of coach-related or parental problem, perhaps something like what happened at Kaiser High last year. Anyone know?
I can assure you, it's definitely because of numbers. Not enough kids currently in the school that play football. Last time there was no JV team was back in 2004. Coaching/Parental issues are minor compared to that year at Kaiser. Haha!
@ka'ahupahau706: Well, that's an absolutely stunning development. So, that means that not enough players even turned-out for JV. I can't understand why. Usually, that happens when the school is doing poorly in football overall, as on the vars level. McKinley High was like that about three years ago. That school's enrollment was adequate to support a JV, but not enough players turned-out. McKinley High's vars was really bad that year, so I could understand. But, Punahou School's vars was good this year and last. So, why didn't enough players turn-out for JV? Punahou School's high-school enrollment is larger than McKinley High's was three years ago.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 pm I’ve said this many times about next year’s team—running back is a concern for now, considering VT saw at least 90% of the carries.

And HS FB Fanatic, a return to the state of Punahou FB between 1997-2004 is every Punahou fan’s worst nightmare. That, or struggling as much as we did in the mid-80s.
@gopunahou: OK, so Punahou lost Terrell to graduation. Who was the top underclassman under him? Punahou will just have to go with him. Also, Sagapolutele can pass, so Punahou might just have to go with the pass more. Finally, there's no reason to assume that the Punahou football team will repeat the mid-'80s or '97-'04. You keep worrying about the past, when there's no reason to assume that the Puns will re-live it.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Been thinking about the ILH-OIA Alliance after reading the HawaiiPrepWorld article wrap -up on the St.Louis season.Specifically the part where the writer said this year's (2019) season would be presumably the last for maybe a long time where the Open teams from both leagues would play each other in a regular season slate of games.

Politics aside(plus there has been no official declaration from the ILH and OIA that the alliance is done with yet) what would be some drawbacks to going back to separate league schedules?

The ILH would have to go back to two or three round robin regular season formats,and even if it was three,that would still leave the Big Three with 6 games. Seven would come from one OIA opponent who would take them on in the one ILH crossover opponent that the OIA would allow for interleague regular season play.Eight would come from a mainland team that they could schedule.After that...uncharted territory.Based on what I've seen,none of the Big Three have had more than one mainland opponent per year. You're looking at fewer games against the same two opponents which is not a good growth opportunity.

I don't see the ILH going back to having everyone play each other once. The reason we even have the Open Division is to keep teams in a competitive balance.Iolani and Damien aren't threats to St.Louis,just as Pac-5 would have probably finished behind the Raiders and Monarchs if they had been in D-I instead of D-II last fall.

That said,what happens with Iolani and Damien? They aren't gonna play each other 6 times and hope they can wrangle 3 Interleague games every year. Poor old Pac-5. They are the only D-II ILH team.Where is their schedule coming from? Got no league opponents in their division.They are left with few options.They could get maybe four to six interleague opponents, and would still never get to states because they are the only D-II team in their league= no state berth until the ILH gets a second D-II team.

The OIA forces themselves down the path of the ILH. Six Open teams. 5 games.Six for one interleague contest. Seven if you schedule a mainland opponent. Not better really than what the ILH Open teams are facing. Might go 2 round robin. Not a fan.Mililani would probably be miffed.If the OIA went two round robin,they would be forced to abandon their philosophy of improving by playing and watching some nationally high profile teams right across the line of scrimmage because they would be locked into ten games against the same five teams in regular season with extremely limited chances to ever repeat a year
Like the past one where they got to play Kahuku,St.Louis,and Punahou in the Alliance plus face Liberty and St.John Bosco.

OIA D-I and D-II don't face the same extent of problems their ILH counterparts face because they have enough teams to play league opponents once in regular season and with interleague/mainland games,they are still going to have eight or nine games before league playoffs and then states.

If the OIA and ILH stop the alliance, I don't think that means the end of the Open Division necessarily. Again ,the Open Division was basically a response to D-I schools that were beating up consistently on league opponents that were undermanned. It was the best of the best of the ILH and OIA going up against each other instead of beating down a bunch of schools that bounced up and down between D-I and D-II.

I would like to see the Alliance remain. If it is cancelled, then the OIA might have it's Open teams go to a two round robin format which sees that league regress to what the ILH was before the Alliance,a league that has a few teams playing each other a couple or more times a year ,then another time or two in league playoffs/states. Boring.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid: I think the powers-that-be had created a Frankenstein with this Open/D1/D2 format. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Look at all the complications and problems you listed. There's nothing new under the sun; Oahu needs to go back to how it was in the mid-'70s. All ILH schools/teams (Pac-5) play each other, while the OIA goes back to East and West. End the state championships, go back to Prep Bowl. It's time to turn-back the clock to the mid-'70s; if it was good enough for us then, it's good enough for us now. If an HC thinks it would be physically dangerous to play another school/team on its schedule due to lack of size/numbers, then forfeit. I would also offer a new rule: When one of the schools/teams in a game opens-up a 42-point lead, the game ends. That way, there won't be a situation like we had this past season, when Waiakea High got beaten by Hilo High, 100-0, or something like that. That must have been an absolute pisser for Waiakea alumni. Four or five years ago, McKinley High got beaten by Waianae High, 90-0, or something like that. I personally know a McKinley alumnus who told me he was absolutely pissed about that. As they say, discretion is the better part of valor. An HC has to have enough sense to know that he must not subject his team, the school, and the school's alumni to the atrocity that Waiakea High and McKinley High suffered. If an HC doesn't exercise good judgement and doesn't know when to throw-in the towel, that new rule would do it for him.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Happy new Year!! Here we go! The waaaay too early HS football top 5
for the 2020 season

1. Punahou - Yes, I'm saying the buff and blue will end the Stl state championship streak. I'm basically looking at the qb situation for both pun and stl. Pun qb will have 1 year of experience under his belt. he had a great season as a frosh, and will only be better next season. They also return most of their defensive studs tafiti, kia, henry, utu
2. St. Louis - Lose a ton of players, but as long as they don't lose the HC and OC, i think they'll be alright. Question is gonna be qb, not sure who that'll be. i thought LBs might be a question, but after watching that game against the florida team, those young lbs will be good
3. Kahuku - They return some key players, including their qb and rb. I'd say it will be them and pun in the championship game.
4. Mililani - I can see them pushing kahuku for the oia title. qb and rb return. And most defensive players too, hoohuli, deblake, iosefa. I bet they pick up some transfers some where a long the way hahahaha
5. Campbell - qb and stud wr return. they may also push for that title. manuma and alualu return on D. And transfers will make their way there too hahaha

I know it's waaaaay too early. just throwing it out there

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: And you were worried that they lost Terrell.

Everyone else: Please tell me Dog 96707 is wrong about Punahou School. I would hate to see them win the title.

To all good football players who aren't on Kahuku High's team: Please transfer to Kahuku High; you could be a champion. You can help the Red Raiders stop the Puns in the State Open title game. Then you'd be not only an OIA champion, but a state champion. I'd like to see as large an infusion of football talent into Kahuku High as possible. I'd like to see a tsunami of football talent hit Kahuku High and swell their football team. Transfer to the school that will likely be OIA Open champ again. Be a champion!

If you're a tall and big beast of a DE who's also fast enough to get around Punahou's offensive tackles and chase-down QB Sagapolutele and tear his head off, please transfer to Kahuku High! You're precisely what they need against a good-passing QB. And, you could be a champion!

To Kahuku High's JV: OK, you had a kick-butt O this past season. Move-up to the vars and carry that on!

GO...RAIDERS!...BEAT...THE PUNS! (That would be a good cheer for the Kahuku cheerleaders. Repeat three times; pause at each ellipsis. At end of cheer, shake pom-poms for effect.)

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

St. Lulu da reezon der ain’t going b no alliance nex yea. Just kick dem out wit Iolanz and let dem play each udda all 17 weekz.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm St. Lulu da reezon der ain’t going b no alliance nex yea. Just kick dem out wit Iolanz and let dem play each udda all 17 weekz.
@#1Kahuku: OK, but how do you feel about Punahou? Dog 96707 thinks that they'll edge St Louis, and I'm afraid he might be right. Do you really think there won't be an ILH-OIA alliance? As for Iolani, of course Kahuku doesn't have to worry about them; they're in D1, not Open.

gopuns
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by gopuns »

Buff and Blue are for lack of a better word "Young" this year. Take that for what it's worth. it will be ok if trenches hold up.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopuns wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm Buff and Blue are for lack of a better word "Young" this year. Take that for what it's worth. it will be ok if trenches hold up.
@gopuns: I don't know, I think they're better than that. They have returnees, most importantly QB Sagapolutele. Based on your user name, I'm assuming you're a Punahou alumnus. I apologize that I dislike your alma mater; hope you don't take it personally. There's another Punahou alumnus on this site, gopunahou, who takes my dislike of Punahou School in stride. Understand it's nothing against you personally; I don't even know who you are.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Dog 96707 has a solid projection in his top five. St.Louis had 11 four and three star players in the fall.Ten of them graduate in the spring. The Crusaders are falling back to the pack in 2020. I don't know that they can't win it all again in 2020, but their backups at QB did not remind me of Cordeiro when he played behind Tua,nor Tua when he was a backup and took over the starting job in-season.Punahou has a definite advantage with Sagapolutele at QB. The Puns have talent on both sides of the ball and the line should be at least as good as what St.Louis has coming back in the trenches. Punahou has one three star returning on the line. If they could find a RB to replicate what Vincent Terrell did for Punahou last year, then I would say Punahou would be the Open Champs next year.But, statiscally, nobody but Terrell had real solid numbers last year for Punahou on the ground. Probably gonna be a dogfight between Punahou and St.Louis.

Kahuku and Mililani figure to be the class of the OIA Open. Both teams have an infusion of talent coming up from JV.(Mililani won over Kahuku 14-13 in the OIA JV championship game.Kahuku has Matagi on the ground and Adolpho and Mariteragi at QB. I think Kahuku has better QB play. Mililani QB had near as many picks as TD's.That's a problem.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:53 am Dog 96707 has a solid projection in his top five. St.Louis had 11 four and three star players in the fall.Ten of them graduate in the spring. The Crusaders are falling back to the pack in 2020. I don't know that they can't win it all again in 2020, but their backups at QB did not remind me of Cordeiro when he played behind Tua,nor Tua when he was a backup and took over the starting job in-season.Punahou has a definite advantage with Sagapolutele at QB. The Puns have talent on both sides of the ball and the line should be at least as good as what St.Louis has coming back in the trenches. Punahou has one three star returning on the line. If they could find a RB to replicate what Vincent Terrell did for Punahou last year, then I would say Punahou would be the Open Champs next year.But, statiscally, nobody but Terrell had real solid numbers last year for Punahou on the ground. Probably gonna be a dogfight between Punahou and St.Louis.

Kahuku and Mililani figure to be the class of the OIA Open. Both teams have an infusion of talent coming up from JV.(Mililani won over Kahuku 14-13 in the OIA JV championship game.Kahuku has Matagi on the ground and Adolpho and Mariteragi at QB. I think Kahuku has better QB play. Mililani QB had near as many picks as TD's.That's a problem.
@unpaid: Sounds like Mililani's JV and Kahuku's JV were basically even. Mililani High football is really stepping up. Kahuku's JV blew-out St Louis' JV and Kamehameha's JV; for Mililani to pull even with them, is something. I'm hoping that Kahuku's vars will take State Open, but I think they're going to need the help of good transfers coming in. If Mililani takes State Open, well, OK, but I'd prefer to see Kahuku take it. I don't want St Louis to take it again, and most of all, I don't want Punahou to take it.