2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by gopunahou »

If Kahuku were to beat us, they gotta do it the way they did in 2011 and 2012
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

genks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:29 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm Mark my words, Big Red will take down the Puns. The Puns Rb is a definite threat, and will more than likely get yards and get a td, but Big Red is improving every week. Absolutely Big Red got pounded by St Louis, but so did Bishop Gorman; I think we can honestly say that the score was much closer than it should've been. But Big Red did show flashes in all 3 phases that has fans excited to see what happens if it all comes together. BIG IF, but we'll see. Do Not sleep on this Red Raider team. Puns will find out the hard way how Big Red is continuing to improve.
RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: YES! GO RED RAIDERS! I'm excited; this is the FIRST time someone posted that he's pretty confident that Kahuku will beat Punahou. Up 'til now I've had my doubts, not so much because Kahuku sucks, but because Punahou can pass AND run AND has a good D. Kahuku simply can't throw the ball as well as Punahou, but Kahuku can run, and has a good D. genks really plays-up Punahou's D, and he might very well be right. But, I also know that Kahuku has a big and physical O; the only player on O who isn't big and physical is the QB. So, I would like Kahuku's O to show Punahou's D what physical is all about. I would like Kahuku's O-line and blocking-backs to pound Punahou's defensive front-seven; I really do. genks thinks Punahou will pass Kahuku silly; throw the ball all over them. If that happens, Punahou QB Sagapolutele has to pay. I don't know how good Kahuku's DEs and LBs are, but I hope they will be able to make Sagapolutele pay. Sagapolutele needs to be made to see that there will be a price that will have to be paid.
I could be wrong lol.

Guarantee Kahuku will be sending heat, especially in the beginning of the game. They always do that anyway, but it’s very effective against young QBs. I’d suspect Punahou to be ready with quick passes, swing passes, screens etc. Key will be can Sagapolutele throw an accurate screen or quick pass with pressure in his face.

My opinion is Kahuku is pretty one dimensional this year. They do that one dimension well, which is good. (One dimensional isn’t a knock just observation. My team is one dimensional also) The bad part punts are inevitable when trying to establish the run early. If the defense can’t stop Puns offense, they start digging themselves a hole. Punahou is capable of quick strike scores, which can put them up early. That’s bad news if Puns are up 2 or more TDs and Kahuku is still trying to get the run going. 3rd and 15 could lead to a Puns TD while 3rd and 15 is likely is a punt or a pick for Kahuku, if they haven’t tried out the defense.

I’m not saying I think Punahou will light Kahuku up, but I do think they are the better team. Coaching advantage easily to Coach Ane. The beauty of it all is we actually get to see it. It will be a great game.
I could be wrong too...lol...that's why they play the game.

Big Red has been a traditionally run oriented team, but because of the success of the run, has been able to pass. Against top Defenses like St Louis, Bishop Gorman, Bingham, and lately Mililani, Big Red has been forced to go to the passing game after falling behind early. We've had some pretty good passing qb's, but those have been few and far between. If the Adolpho kid stays, I think we could see much more passing in his junior and senior years....I really like this kid.

I think Punahou has a great D, but they aren't equivalent to St Louis, so in a close game, I know our O will pound away. Defensively for Big Red, you're right, the heat will come for that freshman qb. The Puns RB is a speedster and can't be caught in an open field, but I like to think that the Big Red run D is pretty good. Big Red's secondary isn't what it was the last several years, but I like our chances against the Puns receiving corps.

But, having an open mind, I do agree that if the Puns are able to come out fast and score early, could be a long night for Kahuku. RRFL!!!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

True on the observations with Kahuku on one dimensional. Yes I got Punahou over Kahuku but they can rattle any qb. Either Sagapolutele going to stand longer in the pocket or absorbs some hits. He is not a scrambler like deLaura. Of course if Kahuku goes down 2 tds, that's a big hole for them this year. In any case hope the lights stay on.
As far as Pun/StL. game, I noticed during the kickoffs that Kahuku had returnable yards. Reason being the StL. kicker could not put it in the end zone
. If fact an upman fielded one on the 30? That's the only chink I saw that can be exploited by Terrell and Punahou. Another kicker issue is that PAT''s were missed in 3 different games. Find and dandy with the points that STL. put up, but in a tight game no one wants to lose because of a missed PAT or field goal. At any point Punahou always had the best kickers. So for advantage, kicker, Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:29 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm Mark my words, Big Red will take down the Puns. The Puns Rb is a definite threat, and will more than likely get yards and get a td, but Big Red is improving every week. Absolutely Big Red got pounded by St Louis, but so did Bishop Gorman; I think we can honestly say that the score was much closer than it should've been. But Big Red did show flashes in all 3 phases that has fans excited to see what happens if it all comes together. BIG IF, but we'll see. Do Not sleep on this Red Raider team. Puns will find out the hard way how Big Red is continuing to improve.
RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: YES! GO RED RAIDERS! I'm excited; this is the FIRST time someone posted that he's pretty confident that Kahuku will beat Punahou. Up 'til now I've had my doubts, not so much because Kahuku sucks, but because Punahou can pass AND run AND has a good D. Kahuku simply can't throw the ball as well as Punahou, but Kahuku can run, and has a good D. genks really plays-up Punahou's D, and he might very well be right. But, I also know that Kahuku has a big and physical O; the only player on O who isn't big and physical is the QB. So, I would like Kahuku's O to show Punahou's D what physical is all about. I would like Kahuku's O-line and blocking-backs to pound Punahou's defensive front-seven; I really do. genks thinks Punahou will pass Kahuku silly; throw the ball all over them. If that happens, Punahou QB Sagapolutele has to pay. I don't know how good Kahuku's DEs and LBs are, but I hope they will be able to make Sagapolutele pay. Sagapolutele needs to be made to see that there will be a price that will have to be paid.
I could be wrong lol.

Guarantee Kahuku will be sending heat, especially in the beginning of the game. They always do that anyway, but it’s very effective against young QBs. I’d suspect Punahou to be ready with quick passes, swing passes, screens etc. Key will be can Sagapolutele throw an accurate screen or quick pass with pressure in his face.

My opinion is Kahuku is pretty one dimensional this year. They do that one dimension well, which is good. (One dimensional isn’t a knock just observation. My team is one dimensional also) The bad part punts are inevitable when trying to establish the run early. If the defense can’t stop Puns offense, they start digging themselves a hole. Punahou is capable of quick strike scores, which can put them up early. That’s bad news if Puns are up 2 or more TDs and Kahuku is still trying to get the run going. 3rd and 15 could lead to a Puns TD while 3rd and 15 is likely is a punt or a pick for Kahuku, if they haven’t tried out the defense.

I’m not saying I think Punahou will light Kahuku up, but I do think they are the better team. Coaching advantage easily to Coach Ane. The beauty of it all is we actually get to see it. It will be a great game.
@genks: I agree that Punahou is better than Kahuku, unfortunately. I'm hoping for an upset. The key, I think, is shutting Punahou QB Sagapolutele down. Kahuku's defensive front-seven needs to kick his butt, if at all possible. On O, Kahuku's big line and blocking-backs need to get super-physical with Punahou's defensive front-seven. They need to deliver katoosh after katoosh. And, I agree that Punahou has the edge in coaching.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 am True on the observations with Kahuku on one dimensional. Yes I got Punahou over Kahuku but they can rattle any qb. Either Sagapolutele going to stand longer in the pocket or absorbs some hits. He is not a scrambler like deLaura. Of course if Kahuku goes down 2 tds, that's a big hole for them this year. In any case hope the lights stay on.
As far as Pun/StL. game, I noticed during the kickoffs that Kahuku had returnable yards. Reason being the StL. kicker could not put it in the end zone
. If fact an upman fielded one on the 30? That's the only chink I saw that can be exploited by Terrell and Punahou. Another kicker issue is that PAT''s were missed in 3 different games. Find and dandy with the points that STL. put up, but in a tight game no one wants to lose because of a missed PAT or field goal. At any point Punahou always had the best kickers. So for advantage, kicker, Punahou.
@Markeke: Kahuku's defensive front-seven need to make-up their minds that they're going to lay the lumber on Sagapolutele. I really don't know how good Kahuku's DEs and LBs are, but I'd like to see their DEs kick Sagapolutele's butt, just blow him up back there, really, if at all possible. I mean, get into his head, big-time. If Kahuku's LBs can also get through and kick his butt, so much the better.

Regarding St Louis v Punahou, I'm hoping the game won't be close enough that Punahou's kicker might matter. I think HC Cal needs to look at his O-line. You say St Louis' kicker is a concern, but I think a greater concern is their O-line. Kahuku's defensive front-seven were getting to De Laura a few times; the O-line just couldn't keep them out sometimes. If St Louis' pass-protection could be more solid, it might not matter that their kicker can't always get touchbacks. And of course PATs and FGs might not matter as much either, if De Laura and his receivers can keep scoring TDs.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Just for fun,

St.Louis 35,Punahou 21 It's hard to defend so many good Crusader receivers but,if anyone can come up with a way to slow them down,it would be Coach Ane.

St.John Bosco 50,Mililani 17 Coach York has a bigger problem than Coach Ane does.The Braves not only have a slew of multi-starred receivers,they have a pro-sized pro-style QB,three fast RB's,huge line and a lockdown defense.

Iolani 42,Damien 35 This game goes a long way to settling which team gets into the D-I state playoffs.Both squads run and pass well. I think Iolani is better in the air while Damien is better rushing. The final score could be closer than seven points.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:01 am Just for fun,

St.Louis 35,Punahou 21 It's hard to defend so many good Crusader receivers but,if anyone can come up with a way to slow them down,it would be Coach Ane.

St.John Bosco 50,Mililani 17 Coach York has a bigger problem than Coach Ane does.The Braves not only have a slew of multi-starred receivers,they have a pro-sized pro-style QB,three fast RB's,huge line and a lockdown defense.

Iolani 42,Damien 35 This game goes a long way to settling which team gets into the D-I state playoffs.Both squads run and pass well. I think Iolani is better in the air while Damien is better rushing. The final score could be closer than seven points.
I think 17 is generous for Mililani. I hope they'll have a good showing, but considering what SBJ has done to there last 4 opponents (3 of them really quality teams)....

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 am

I think 17 is generous for Mililani. I hope they'll have a good showing, but considering what SBJ has done to there last 4 opponents (3 of them really quality teams)....
I agree. They don’t have a strong qb, running on a bigger, stronger, better defensive front will be difficult. Mililanj will struggle on offense

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Quick thought,

Jayden has been huge for us. I thought he was GOOD last year. This year I am 100% praying that he chooses to stay home and play for UH because I think he’s been GREAT. He has improved all the way around. Probably more than I expected and the season isn’t even over yet.

Take out coaching for the sake of this thought, had he stayed at Damien would they be running up the score on everyone in D1?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid: I think your predictions for the first two games are very believable. I don't really care whether Mililani wins or loses, but I care very much about St Louis winning. Well, actually, I'm not exactly pro - St Louis School, but I'm very much anti - Punahou School. So, I'm behind St Louis 100%, and I think a two-TD win seems quite likely. I don't care if St Louis wins only by 1, as long as they win.
I think I would challenge the 3rd game, though. I'm going Damien 35, Iolani 28. Yes, Damien lost to Leilehua, but that was an upset, as Damien was ranked higher. Still, the game was quite close, and the outcome was still in doubt until just a few minutes left in the game. What has me respecting Damien is their O-line. They have a massive O-line, and it's a handful for any school's D-line. Quite frankly, I think Damien's O-line could intimidate some Open schools' D-lines. Consider that Iolani's D-line is undersized. I see Damien's O-line simply smearing Iolani's D-line into the field. So, I'm predicting Damien wins this game because of their O-line.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 pm Quick thought,

Jayden has been huge for us. I thought he was GOOD last year. This year I am 100% praying that he chooses to stay home and play for UH because I think he’s been GREAT. He has improved all the way around. Probably more than I expected and the season isn’t even over yet.

Take out coaching for the sake of this thought, had he stayed at Damien would they be running up the score on everyone in D1?
@genks: I'm really conflicted about de Laura leaving Damien School. I mean, I like Damien School more than St Louis School. So, on one hand, I wish he had stayed there. But, on the other hand, if he hadn't transferred to St Louis School, Punahou School might beat them tonight, right? Here: When St Louis plays Punahou, I'm glad de Laura transferred. When St Louis plays any other school, I wish he had stayed at Damien.

Now, de Laura is a great passer. Damien has a massive O-line, and I'm assuming that they run the ball more than they throw it. If de Laura had stayed at that school, would Damien's HC go with a pass-oriented O? Depends on whether Damien has good receivers, right? I think we can all agree that St Louis' receivers are better than Damien's receivers. But then again, Damien is in D1, not Open. So, would a pass-oriented Damien with de Laura, be able to run-up the score on other D1 schools? Well, how good is Damien's O-line when they pass-block? Kind of depends on that. St Louis' O-line last year was massive, more massive than Damien's O-line is now. But, last year St Louis was still pass-oriented, even though they had a good RB in Sam.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

I get your argument about Damien. You and I have seen what they’ve done this year. I am stacking this up against what the systems have done against each other the past four years, and Iolani has gotten into D-II states and more recently,into D-I states by beatingDamien when it mattered which team got into states. My feeling is that while Damien May have been bigger, Iolani has been more technically sound and better coached. Damien has had good reason to believe that they have had a chance to make states for the past four years, but somehow Iolani has always beat them and got the playoff slot.

We will see tonight.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Damien has been way more of a passing team this year than in years past.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 pm

@unpaid: I think your predictions for the first two games are very believable. I don't really care whether Mililani wins or loses, but I care very much about St Louis winning. Well, actually, I'm not exactly pro - St Louis School, but I'm very much anti - Punahou School. So, I'm behind St Louis 100%, and I think a two-TD win seems quite likely. I don't care if St Louis wins only by 1, as long as they win.
I think I would challenge the 3rd game, though. I'm going Damien 35, Iolani 28. Yes, Damien lost to Leilehua, but that was an upset, as Damien was ranked higher. Still, the game was quite close, and the outcome was still in doubt until just a few minutes left in the game. What has me respecting Damien is their O-line. They have a massive O-line, and it's a handful for any school's D-line. Quite frankly, I think Damien's O-line could intimidate some Open schools' D-lines. Consider that Iolani's D-line is undersized. I see Damien's O-line simply smearing Iolani's D-line into the field. So, I'm predicting Damien wins this game because of their O-line.
Looks like I might have to eat my words re the Damien game. Iolani leads 24-8 at the half. I think it's shameful that Damien has only 8 points at the half. With the O-line they have, there's no excuse. Not only that; Iolani's D-line isn't that big. I'm kind of pissed, too, because I do not care for Iolani School.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 pm HS Football Fanatic,

I get your argument about Damien. You and I have seen what they’ve done this year. I am stacking this up against what the systems have done against each other the past four years, and Iolani has gotten into D-II states and more recently,into D-I states by beatingDamien when it mattered which team got into states. My feeling is that while Damien May have been bigger, Iolani has been more technically sound and better coached. Damien has had good reason to believe that they have had a chance to make states for the past four years, but somehow Iolani has always beat them and got the playoff slot.

We will see tonight.
@unpaid: We've already seen half of it, and it doesn't look good for Damien School. I just can't see how/why Damien scored only 8 points in the first half. I mean, that sucks. Is Iolani's D that good? I doubt it. I think Damien's O simply sucked during the first half.