2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by unpaid »

I am not a fan of rotating two players at QB, but Kahuku did win. However, the one score came on a kick return, not from anything the offense did.
Still, you could say that constantly having to switch gears for the Mililani D meant they weren’t shutting out Kahuku this time. Kahuku’s D put them in a spot for special teams to win.

I could see Kahuku sticking with QB platoon against high-flying offensive squads like Punahou and St.Louis in states.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:23 am I am not a fan of rotating two players at QB, but Kahuku did win. However, the one score came on a kick return, not from anything the offense did.
Still, you could say that constantly having to switch gears for the Mililani D meant they weren’t shutting out Kahuku this time. Kahuku’s D put them in a spot for special teams to win.

I could see Kahuku sticking with QB platoon against high-flying offensive squads like Punahou and St.Louis in states.
From what I've seen from Kahuku this year, when they face an early sizable deficit, that sinks their chances of winning. Happened in the St. Louis game as well as the first Mililani game.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 am
unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:23 am
From what I've seen from Kahuku this year, when they face an early sizable deficit, that sinks their chances of winning. Happened in the St. Louis game as well as the first Mililani game.
The first Mililani game was a learning template. Lose early, win last. (7-3). With all due respect, the St.Louis game was cancelled , by mutual agreement at half time. Not to say Kahuku would come back, but it's still a check in the lost column. I would have love to see the game finished and adjustments made like real game scenerio. Again real game time against a great team like St.Louis will only make Kahuku players and coaching staff stronger. Going over game tape, correcting mistakes only makes second chances possible. Good luck to your Puns. Hope they stretch that ILH series to 2 games.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Surprised there isn't more luster over Kahuku beating Mililani. I was very surprised the Red Raiders pulled it off. Good for their coach. The result would be perfect for a Cal Lee-less St Louis cause parity would be perfect. We all know St Louis is gonna win it all again anyways, but now I think this means it'll be even easier if Mililani couldn't even perform against Kahuku

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 am
unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:23 am
The first Mililani game was a learning template. Lose early, win last. (7-3). With all due respect, the St.Louis game was cancelled , by mutual agreement at half time. Not to say Kahuku would come back, but it's still a check in the lost column. I would have love to see the game finished and adjustments made like real game scenerio. Again real game time against a great team like St.Louis will only make Kahuku players and coaching staff stronger. Going over game tape, correcting mistakes only makes second chances possible. Good luck to your Puns. Hope they stretch that ILH series to 2 games.
Thanks man. We face a tall order, but not an impossible one.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kahuku will face Campbell again. Do we really need that, considering the way the last two matchups between the two went?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:57 am Kahuku will face Campbell again. Do we really need that, considering the way the last two matchups between the two went?
Right. Just get rid of the extra "fluff" and go ILH champs vs.OIA champs.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

A four team Open tournament makes more money for the ILH and OIA. I don't think it's going back to ILH champ vs. OIA champ like the Prep Bowl days.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well things got better for Punahou according to HPW.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Well I hope losing Herbig is the equivalent of us losing Terrell. And luckily, they didn’t lose him to injury.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Regarding Kahuku, I think the only way they can win states is if they use trick play and throw occasional passes. That’s how they stayed in the game against us. The strategy they used in the 2016 title game won’t work against St. Louis, us, or even Mililani.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm Regarding Kahuku, I think the only way they can win states is if they use trick play and throw occasional passes. That’s how they stayed in the game against us. The strategy they used in the 2016 title game won’t work against St. Louis, us, or even Mililani.
You right. But I believe 80-100 yards passing would be enough. That a flawless D and their running game should be enough. At this point, with a 3rd game with Campbell, Kahuku will be in the championship game. These kids have been there before. #1 Kana Fonoimoana Vamu understands that after trying to intercept that Cordeiro pass instead of just knocking it down, another chance presents itself. After that 32-0 drubbing at Mililani, no one gave them chance to be here.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS football fanatic has been absent for well over a week. Hope everything is okay. We getting into HS football crunch time so his input is always appreciated. :hello1:

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm Regarding Kahuku, I think the only way they can win states is if they use trick play and throw occasional passes. That’s how they stayed in the game against us. The strategy they used in the 2016 title game won’t work against St. Louis, us, or even Mililani.
You right. But I believe 80-100 yards passing would be enough. That a flawless D and their running game should be enough. At this point, with a 3rd game with Campbell, Kahuku will be in the championship game. These kids have been there before. #1 Kana Fonoimoana Vamu understands that after trying to intercept that Cordeiro pass instead of just knocking it down, another chance presents itself. After that 32-0 drubbing at Mililani, no one gave them chance to be here.
I think this Kahuku team reminds me of the 2011 one. That one looked mediocre to start but got rolling at the end of the year. They also beat us by making us pay for stacking the box in the 1st half of the title game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm HS football fanatic has been absent for well over a week. Hope everything is okay. We getting into HS football crunch time so his input is always appreciated. :hello1:
@Markeke: Thanks for the shout-out. I'm just dealing with some crap that started last week Tuesday, and it's been a major distraction. Actually, my input is as much mere opinion as it is anything else. I am pissed about St Louis LB Herbig missing tonight's game over that altercation with that guy from Kamehameha Schools. You can tell that Coach Cal is pissed about it, too. It's quite apparent that he thinks St Louis Admin over-reacted. Like, here's St Louis' chance to put-away its biggest football threat: Punahou. And then that fight had to happen. Herbig didn't even throw the first punch. I hope the drop-off isn't too steep after Herbig in terms of LB quality. I'd hate for St Louis to lose because of Herbig being out. If they were to lose by, say, 3 points, it would be fair to say they lost because Herbig was out. You gotta figure he's worth 3 points. I don't want ILH Open to go to another game; let St Louis win the title tonight. St Louis' O needs to step it up a notch, to compensate for Herbig's absence. Their pass-game needs to roar.