2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 pm Meanwhile in Waianae, embarrassment.

I don’t mean to disrespect Waianae, they are making the plays they need to make and doing a great job.

But awful night so far for The Crusaders.
@genks: Well, it might have been an embarrassing night for St Louis' D, but their O still rang-up a good score. St Louis' D should be embarrassed that Waianae scored two TDs by the pass. I mean, Waianae is not a strong pass team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 pm Congrats to Punahou and all, but the only thing this game really showed me is, based on overall record alone, they definitely deserve to remain the #2 ranked team in the state when the polls come out next week. But I'd need to see these two play again to figure out which team is actually better at football. :hmm:
@bandits1: I hope that doesn't happen. The only way that could possibly happen is if Punahou wins ILH Open, and I for one do not want to see that happen. Please.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:48 am
bandits1 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 pm Congrats to Punahou and all, but the only thing this game really showed me is, based on overall record alone, they definitely deserve to remain the #2 ranked team in the state when the polls come out next week. But I'd need to see these two play again to figure out which team is actually better at football. :hmm:
Remember, last year Mililani caught fire after a horrific loss to us (which came after a bad loss to St. John Bosco). This year, Mililani suffered horrific back-to-back St. John Bosco and St. Louis but played much better tonight than they did against St. Louis. History could be repeating itself, and if Mililani uses its defensive gameplan tonight against St. Louis, I doubt they'd lose by as much as they did the first time.

As for us, it sucks that we could win 10 games and not play in the state tournament. I won't complain as loudly as Kamehameha fans did during the early 2000s (that they couldn't play in the state tournament as the ILH runner-up despite giving St. Louis its greatest challenge some years), but I can't say I ain't disappointed.
@gopunahou: Well, you're assuming that St Louis wins ILH Open. They most likely will, but they'll have to get past your alma mater first. St Louis will definitely be favored, but anything can happen. Like, Punahou easily could have lost to Mililani last night; they won by only 3.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:02 pm
@bandits1: I hope that doesn't happen. The only way that could possibly happen is if Punahou wins ILH Open, and I for one do not want to see that happen. Please.
It could be worse. Iolani could win a state title.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:02 pm
It could be worse. Iolani could win a state title.
@gopunahou: Well, I totally get where you're coming from. Punahou alumni don't like Iolani School. The Punahou v Iolani rivalry is in my estimation the most bitter high-school rivalry on the island. And, quite frankly, I don't care for Iolani School very much myself. Having said all that, Iolani won't be able to win the state D1 football title without winning the ILH D1 title, and they'll have to get past Damien to do that. I prefer Damien to Iolani, so I'm hoping for a Damien W. Damien has a massive O-line, a decent RB, and a QB who can run as well as he can throw. Iolani has two good D-linemen, but the rest of their D-line isn't that big. Damien's massive O-line needs to smear Iolani's D-line into the field; make roadkill of them. Damien's O-line needs to make more pancakes than IHOP. The run-game eats-up lots of clock, which leaves Iolani's strong pass-oriented O less time on the field. But, even if Iolani beats Damien, in the D1 state tourney they'll have to deal with schools like Leilehua, Lahainaluna, and Hilo. Even if Iolani were to make it to the title game, their likely opponent would be Hilo, assuming that they're not in the same bracket. And, I don't think Iolani can beat Hilo. On the way, Iolani might lose to Leilehua or Lahainaluna, again depending on which schools are in which bracket. So, I wouldn't worry too much about Iolani winning the state D1 title. I mean, you never know, but it doesn't seem likely.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

I don’t mean to disrespect Waianae, they are making the plays they need to make and doing a great job.

@genks: Well, it might have been an embarrassing night for St Louis' D, but their O still rang-up a good score. St Louis' D should be embarrassed that Waianae scored two TDs by the pass. I mean, Waianae is not a strong pass team.
That was frustrating to watch. However, that WR, I believe it was Machado? He’s the one that’s been beating 1v1 math ups he’s impressive. A N’keal Harry type. Big credit to him.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Was it the newspaper that had Campbell at #2 over Punahou and Mililani? I believe it was because Campbell did well in 7 on 7. Geez imagine ranking Campbell that high. They will get steamrolled again by Kahuku probably without much drama.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eleven,

1.St.Louis 9-0 beat Waianae.
2.Punahou 9-1 beat Mililani 3-0.
3.Mililani 6-3 Not dropping the Trojans for a three-point loss to the team ahead of them in the rank.
4.Hilo 9-0
5.Kahuku 6-3
6.Campbell 5-4
7.Leilehua 8-1 beat Radford. Move up one spot.
8.Iolani 8-2 Move up one spot.
9.Damien 8-2 beat Moanalua. Move up one place.
10.Moanalua 8-1 Drop three places with the loss.

St.Louis is the unofficial regular season ILH-OIA Alliance champion. Here is the final tally for regular season head to head competition.

St.Louis 8-0
Punahou 7-1
Mililani 6-2
Kahuku 5-3
Campbell 4-4
Farrington 2-6
Kamehameha 2-6
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-8

I don't foresee any Open teams wanting to drop down to D-1. I don't believe I have heard any league admins ever outline any guidelines for promotion/demotion between the two tiers.If Leilehua,for arguments sake,wanted to move into the Open,wouldn't one Open team have to come down?In that scenario,it would seem that Waianae would be the team that would go down. Problem is,Coach Fanoga was quoted on Hawaiiprepworld as saying he thought the Waianae AD wanted to remain in the Open.At some point,some school is going to want to get in the Open and then we'll see if they get blocked because nobody already in the top tier wants to go down.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 am Week Eleven,

3.Mililani 6-3 Not dropping the Trojans for a three-point loss to the team ahead of them in the rank.
4.Hilo 9-0
5.Kahuku 6-3
6.Campbell 5-4

St.Louis is the unofficial regular season ILH-OIA Alliance champion. Here is the final tally for regular season head to head competition.

St.Louis 8-0
Punahou 7-1
Mililani 6-2
Kahuku 5-3
Campbell 4-4
Farrington 2-6
Kamehameha 2-6
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-8

I don't foresee any Open teams wanting to drop down to D-1. I don't believe I have heard any league admins ever outline any guidelines for promotion/demotion between the two tiers.If Leilehua,for arguments sake,wanted to move into the Open,wouldn't one Open team have to come down?In that scenario,it would seem that Waianae would be the team that would go down. Problem is,Coach Fanoga was quoted on Hawaiiprepworld as saying he thought the Waianae AD wanted to remain in the Open.At some point,some school is going to want to get in the Open and then we'll see if they get blocked because nobody already in the top tier wants to go down.
I guess Waianae's JV win over St.Louis might give them hope for the future. Again if the OIA breaks from the ILH/OIA Open format adding Leileihua and Moanalua would create a 8 team competitive league. At this point Damien could compete with Kamehameha, so just move them up. I think kids would love to play for Klaneski. I think a Prep Bowl with 1&2 from OIA and ILH in a single elimination would be more interesting.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Markeke,

I could see the OIA forming their own Open Division. But it would be useless if the ILH did not Keep their own Open Division. Would the ILH want to go back to a two or three round-robin format even with Damien joining in? Would the ILH put all of it's playoff eggs into the Open Division basket? If Damien moved up, then Iolani would be the sole ILH D-I team and could not play for a state championship. Pac-5 already knows how that feels being the only ILH D-II team. Eventually ,this is headed to where the HHSAA is going to have to get involved as I see things.I am just throwing it out as food for thought.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:15 am

4.Hilo 9-0
5.Kahuku 6-3
6.Campbell 5-4

St.Louis 8-0
Punahou 7-1
Mililani 6-2
Kahuku 5-3
Campbell 4-4
Farrington 2-6
Kamehameha 2-6
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-8

I guess Waianae's JV win over St.Louis might give them hope for the future. Again if the OIA breaks from the ILH/OIA Open format adding Leileihua and Moanalua would create a 8 team competitive league. At this point Damien could compete with Kamehameha, so just move them up. I think kids would love to play for Klaneski. I think a Prep Bowl with 1&2 from OIA and ILH in a single elimination would be more interesting.
I hope so. I've seen Waianae field great JV teams and lackluster varsity teams.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:27 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

That was frustrating to watch. However, that WR, I believe it was Machado? He’s the one that’s been beating 1v1 math ups he’s impressive. A N’keal Harry type. Big credit to him.
@genks:
Well, that's the thing: Since when does a Waianae receiver beat match-ups with St Louis DBs? You always expect it to be the other way around.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

4.Hilo 9-0
5.Kahuku 6-3
6.Campbell 5-4

St.Louis 8-0
Punahou 7-1
Mililani 6-2
Kahuku 5-3
Campbell 4-4
Farrington 2-6
Kamehameha 2-6
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-8

@unpaid: Umm, you're ranking Hilo ahead of Kahuku? If Hilo were to play Kahuku, you think Hilo would win?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:15 am

4.Hilo 9-0
5.Kahuku 6-3
6.Campbell 5-4

St.Louis 8-0
Punahou 7-1
Mililani 6-2
Kahuku 5-3
Campbell 4-4
Farrington 2-6
Kamehameha 2-6
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-8

@Markeke:
1. Somehow, I don't think Moanalua is ready for Open. At the moment, I think D1 is the right place for them.
2. I agree that Damien could compete with Kamehameha, but Kamehameha is one of the weaker schools in Open. Like Moanalua, I don't think Damien is ready for Open. In fact, while both Moanalua and Damien have good offenses (Moanalua through the air, Damien on the ground), I don't think either school has a D ready for Open. Damien might match Kamehameha on O, but Damien is way behind Kamehameha on D.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

The beauty of the Open is everyone plays everyone. We don’t need to speculate who would win between team A and team B. We can discuss then they will play each other. It’s taken me to every field in the Open which was a great experience, except for Kahuku. I’d make the drive from Kalihi to watch a game at Kahuku at least once.

As a supporter of an ILH team I do not want to go back to 3 team purgatory.

But besides that, I’ve enjoyed the experience very much. I hope they keep it going.

I’m not sure Moanalua and Leilehua could really compete in the open. I’m not sure Waipahu could anymore either