2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 pm Love the Manti-esque effort from Terrell. That last TD reminded of Tamatoa’s long TD catch against KSK last year and two of Stephen Barber’s long TD’s from 2 yrs ago.
BIG plays and too many penalties. That freshman qb is going to be really special for the Puns.

RRFl!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 pm Love the Manti-esque effort from Terrell. That last TD reminded of Tamatoa’s long TD catch against KSK last year and two of Stephen Barber’s long TD’s from 2 yrs ago.
BIG plays and too many penalties. That freshman qb is going to be really special for the Puns.

RRFl!
True. I don’t know if he’ll top Larry Tuileta, but do hope that he can give us everything Larry did.

And as a Punahou fan, let me say that I feel for you guys. Tons of atrocious calls, mainly against Kahuku.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

tough loss, congrats to the Puns.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 pm tough loss, congrats to the Puns.
I think you guys will see Mililani again and give them a better game.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopuns
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by gopuns »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 pm

RRFl!
True. I don’t know if he’ll top Larry Tuileta, but do hope that he can give us everything Larry did.

And as a Punahou fan, let me say that I feel for you guys. Tons of atrocious calls, mainly against Kahuku.
Once his mental preparation such as watching film. Catches up with his Athleticism. He’ll be a great one.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Ten,

1.St.Louis 8-0 beat Farrington.
2.Punahou 8-1 beat Kahuku.
3.Mililani 6-2 beat Kapolei.
4.Hilo 8-0 hold at four.
5.Kahuku 5-3 drop two spots with a loss.
6.Campbell 4-4 DNP. Hold at six.
7.Moanalua 8-0 beat Radford. Move up one spot.
8.Leilehua 7-1 beat Iolani. Move up one.
9.Iolani 7-2 drop two with a loss.
10.Damien 7-2 beat Aiea. Hold at ten.

Looks like Damien-Iolani for a state D-I berth. Maybe Mililani-Farrrington and Kahuku-Campbell to start the OIA playoffs with Mililani and Kahuku duking it out for the OIA title. St.Louis vs. Punahou-Kamehameha winner for the ILH Open berth.

One more week in the regular season for Oahu teams.Here is the updated head to head Open Division standings.

St.Louis 7-0
Punahou 6-1
Mililani 6-1
Kahuku 4-3
Campbell 3-4
Farrington 2-5
Kamehameha 2-5
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-7

I don't see the OIA with three teams to the ILH's one team in Open states changing to just taking the four best teams head to head from regular season into the playoffs. There will be a little grousing again if Punahou gets cut out of states even though they are clearly the second best team in the division.Now,imagine if you will,the reaction if St.Louis were to be left out of Open states because they couldn't beat Punahou in the ILH finals. I bet some admins would be taking a look at that 3 OIA 1 ILH formula then.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:32 am Week Ten,

4.Hilo 8-0 hold at four.

Looks like Damien-Iolani for a state D-I berth. Maybe Mililani-Farrrington and Kahuku-Campbell to start the OIA playoffs with Mililani and Kahuku duking it out for the OIA title. St.Louis vs. Punahou-Kamehameha winner for the ILH Open berth.

One more week in the regular season for Oahu teams.Here is the updated head to head Open Division standings.

St.Louis 7-0
Punahou 6-1
Mililani 6-1
Kahuku 4-3
Campbell 3-4
Farrington 2-5
Kamehameha 2-5
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-7

I don't see the OIA with three teams to the ILH's one team in Open states changing to just taking the four best teams head to head from regular season into the playoffs. There will be a little grousing again if Punahou gets cut out of states even though they are clearly the second best team in the division.Now,imagine if you will,the reaction if St.Louis were to be left out of Open states because they couldn't beat Punahou in the ILH finals. I bet some admins would be taking a look at that 3 OIA 1 ILH formula then.
unpaid, regarding your 2nd point—I can’t believe my boys are going through the same thing that Kamehameha went through during the early 2000s—when they couldn’t play in the state tournament despite having a much better team than the OIA’s 4th-best. I’ve got one suggestion—since the ILH champion will have at least one week off, let the ILH runner-up play the OIA’s 3rd-best team. I think this happened in 2016, when we played Kapolei and took a frustrating loss. Kapolei was the OIA’s 4th best team that year.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:31 pm For some reason, we are staying in the lead despite giving Kahuku so many chances.
Reminded me of a RR defense of the past. Bend but not break. They had their chances in the red zone. Again ,why not stick with the 5-10 yard pass? In any case good game to watch. Sagapolutele showed some skills scrambling. If Kobe M. left for the mainland, your favorite team Mater Dei might be sending Sagapolutele some "we want you" notes. That would be a great offer.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke, if I were MD and wanted Hawaii QBs, I’d go after any of the St. Louis backups. Doubt it’d hurt them as much as the loss of JK would hurt us.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:26 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:10 pm
genks wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:43 pm Wow very 1st play Kam could’ve had a TD but receiver drop
@genks: Amazing, but this year Kamehameha seems to be throwing the ball as much as they're running the ball. Can't remember the last year that happened.
Yeah they seem to be stuck between 2 identities, seeing what will work
@genks: Well, they've got two very decent RBs--Clemente and Moku--who are also fast. I suspect that Kamehameha is putting it up in the air more, because their O-line just can't run-block with power. I don't know why; they've got decent size.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 pm I think Kahuku will play Mililani again and give them a better game.
@gopunahou: Aren't Mililani's defensive front-seven smaller than Punahou's? Then, you know what Kahuku will do: Run the ball down Mililani's throat.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:31 pm For some reason, we are staying in the lead despite giving Kahuku so many chances.
@gopunahou: That's because Kahuku simply wasn't good enough to cash-in on those chances. Cost themselves the game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:32 am Week Ten,

4.Hilo 8-0 hold at four.

St.Louis 7-0
Punahou 6-1
Mililani 6-1
Kahuku 4-3
Campbell 3-4
Farrington 2-5
Kamehameha 2-5
Kapolei 2-6
Waianae 0-7

@unpaid:
1. Not, St Louis vs Punahou-Kamehameha winner. Simply, St Louis vs Punahou. Kamehameha gave Punahou a tight game earlier in the season, but the next match-up will probably not be as tight. Doesn't help Kamehameha that their special-teams play is actually getting worse over time. Their FG unit missed two in succession against Waianae, and not due to distance. Holder not holding the ball properly for the kick, and/or kicker shanking the ball. I mean, two in a row, from not too far out. Bad. They looked like they were on JV.
2. Mililani might have something to say about Punahou being "clearly the second-best team" in Open. Of course, we'll find-out when the two schools play. One thing for sure: Mililani can throw the ball better than Kahuku. But, Mililani needs to avoid penalties. Gotta play disciplined ball, not give Punahou extra yards or downs via penalties. Also, Mililani RB Sam needs to show that he's just as good as Punahou RB Terrell, or better. GO TROJANS!
3. I think St Louis is pissed about the scare Punahou put into them during their first game against each other; I don't think they liked that feeling at all. I think St Louis felt humiliated the first half, and will want to make Punahou pay. I suspect they'll want to roar at Punahou, the next time the two schools play. I think St Louis will want to kick Punahou's butt; pass them silly. GO SAINTS!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Amazing that Tanner Moku’s return hasn’t helped Kamehameha’s offense improve. He didn’t play against us.

If Kamehameha is to beat us, they need a confidence booster before their game against us. They had one the last time they beat us (they led St. Louis for parts of their 2nd game against them in 2017). A victory over Campbell would give them that needed confidence booster, but that’s a tall order (even if Kamehameha is hosting). Their lackluster victories over Farrington and Waianae (as well as a lifeless performance against Kapolei) don’t suggest that a victory over a Campbell is forthcoming. Nor do they dispute the notion that they’ve gone downhill since that 4th Quarter against us.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 pm Amazing that Tanner Moku’s return hasn’t helped Kamehameha’s offense improve. He didn’t play against us.

If Kamehameha is to beat us, they need a confidence booster before their game against us. They had one the last time they beat us (they led St. Louis for parts of their 2nd game against them in 2017). A victory over Campbell would give them that needed confidence booster, but that’s a tall order (even if Kamehameha is hosting). Their lackluster victories over Farrington and Waianae (as well as a lifeless performance against Kapolei) don’t suggest that a victory over a Campbell is forthcoming. Nor do they dispute the notion that they’ve gone downhill since that 4th Quarter against us.
@gopunahou: Relax. Kamehameha will not beat you guys. They'll probably lose to Campbell; their O just isn't good enough. There are only three good things to be said about Kamehameha: 1.) Their pass-game has improved. 2.) With that improved pass-game, their O is more balanced, to the point where they're gaining as many yards through the air as they are on the ground. This keeps opposing schools' defenses guessing. 3.) Their D is longsuffering and quite good.
Aside from that, there is nothing else good to say about them. Nothing.