2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56 pm One thing I find funny is when I hear Darren Hernandez commentating and him “Critiquing” other teams on what they’re doing bad lol

I know he’s a broadcaster but man Kapolei has enough problems already. Just pick one career and go with it.
@teamhawaii: Yeah, well, that's his job as TV commentator. I don't know; as an HC, he surely knows a lot about the game. The problem is that knowing the game doesn't automatically translate to winning a game. Obviously it comes down to the players you have. What made Kapolei High (and Hernandez) look bad was their blowout loss to Farrington High. The question is, was the Kapolei D-line too small to handle Farrington's elephant O-line? Also, why did Kapolei's O perform so poorly? Farrington's D isn't that good. I mean, personally I don't begrudge Hernandez being a TV commentator. We all have to earn a living, and perhaps Hernandez needs to supplement his income. Or, perhaps he loves the game so much that he wants to cover games. I know that over the last five years or more, guys on this message-board have been saying that Hernandez underperforms as a coach, given the talent he has. But, he really still is entitled to be a TV commentator; there's nothing any of us can do about that.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 pm Game over, I guess refs and coaches agree that possible malfunction with the lights is a safety issue. Final score 28-0. That sucks. I had a feeling tho, never after the “15 minute delay” they still didn’t come out. When both teams did come out, Cal, Sterling and the refs had a meeting in the middle of the field.
@genks: Does it really suck? Not from St Louis School's point of view, right? They notch the W with only half the effort. Also, who knows who might have gotten hurt during the second half?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:24 am
unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:15 am Week Seven,

1.St.Louis 5-0 beat Kahuku.Game called after halftime. No.2 Punahou next.
2.Punahou 6-0 beat Waianae.
3.Mililani 6-0 St.John Bosco next.
4.Campbell 3-3 beat Kapolei. Move up one place.
5.Kahuku 4-2 lost to St.Louis.Drop one spot. No.10 Kapolei next.
6.Hilo 5-0 Konawaena next.
7.Iolani 5-1 beat Waipahu.Damien next.
8.Moanalua 5-0 Waipahu next. Move up two.
9.Leilehua 5-1 Beat Damien. Rejoin top ten.
10.Kapolei 3-4 lost to Campbell.drop two.

Damien drops out with the loss to Leilehua.Kailua keeps the win streak against the mainland going.Mililani faces St.John Bosco next weekend.The Braves probably snap the streak.

Open head to head standing,

Mililani 5-0
St.Louis 4-0
Punahou 4-0
Kahuku 3-2
Campbell 2-3
Farrington 1-3
Kapolei 1-4
Kamehameha 0-4
Waianae 0-4
After a head to head meeting with Campbell, I can't believe you moved them above Kahuku. Well yes Kahuku lost against #1 St.Louis and Campbell beat Kapolei.
@Markeke: I agree that Kahuku really should be ranked ahead of Campbell. Yes, Campbell pounded Kapolei, but so did Farrington. Kahuku really should be ranked above Campbell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:06 am Markeke,

I can’t believe it makes a hoot to you where I have Campbell and Kahuku ranked.

The OIA is going to get three teams into Open states. Mililani is a lock, and Kahuku and Campbell look better than anyone else left in the OIA.

This will get decided in the end. Let’s see how it turns out.
@unpaid: Well, Markeke is a Kahuku fan. He's not an alumnus, but I think he posted once that his son went there, and I would imagine he played football for them. So, he supports Kahuku, so that's why he gives a hoot. It's OK, though; both you and he are each entitled to what he believes. Each of you is just expressing his opinion.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I did catch the begining of the Waianae/Punahou game and noticed that a interim coach was on Waianae sidelines. What happened to Coach Fanoga?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 pm I did catch the begining of the Waianae/Punahou game and noticed that a interim coach was on Waianae sidelines. What happened to Coach Fanoga?
@Markeke: Whatever happened to him, is emblematic of Waianae High football in general. They have taken such a tumble from their lofty perch in the late-'70s. It's almost painful to watch. Waianae alumni probably think it all sucks.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:44 pm
Markeke wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 pm I did catch the begining of the Waianae/Punahou game and noticed that a interim coach was on Waianae sidelines. What happened to Coach Fanoga?
@Markeke: Whatever happened to him, is emblematic of Waianae High football in general. They have taken such a tumble from their lofty perch in the late-'70s. It's almost painful to watch. Waianae alumni probably think it all sucks.
There was one user here who complained about it and said he was a former player. Waianae is the Nebraska of Hawaii HS football.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:44 pm
There was one user here who complained about it and said he was a former player. Waianae is the Nebraska of Hawaii HS football.
@gopunahou: If I'm reading you correctly, you compare Nebraska to Waianae because they're both traditionally run-oriented schools. I recall Waianae's glory days in the late-'70s. They used the wishbone formation, and they were known for monster O-lines and big, physical RBs. I guess we could say that Waianae then was a lot like Kahuku today. Back then, everyone knew what Waianae was going to do, but no one could stop them. Kamehameha stopped them in the Prep Bowl in '75, and came close to stopping them again in the '78 Prep Bowl. Back then, Kamehameha was run-oriented, too, and used the I-formation. But, they did throw the ball more than Waianae did. Kamehameha also had the size to match-up physically with Waianae. Obviously, Kamehameha Schools football has fallen, too, but I guess not quite as much as Waianae High football has.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:06 am Markeke,

The OIA is going to get three teams into Open states. Mililani is a lock, and Kahuku and Campbell look better than anyone else left in the OIA.

Well I give a hoot because I am a fan of Kahuku and when posting a ranking, especially mid season, facts and numbers should be equated into your findings. Example : both Punahou and Mililani have 6-0 records so it's cool either one takes the #2 spot until they play each other. But Kahuku has a 4-2 record while Campbell has a 3-3, with their lost to the same two opponents (Mil&StL) plus a 36-7 lost to Kahuku. So then hoot.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

You know what the Kahuku-St. Louis game reminded me of? A basketball game that happened almost 24 years ago between UH and Utah on the isles. This was when Van Horn and Miller played for Utah and was also an ESPN game. The lights went off for 20 minutes.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

After watching St Louis vs Kahuku, I’d imagine Punahou feeling better about that match up. They probably have better corners than us. They can stuff the line and dare Kahuku to throw, leaving their corners on islands. Even on wide open throws there’s a chance Adolpho will throw it at their feet or way over their head. When Kahuku lined up 5 wide, that was the coffin nails. They just trying whatever. Punahou’s secondary has been really good.

I cannot wait for the Crusaders to face off against Punahou. That is our biggest game of the season. Only one of us can go to states, and in my opinion, until I’m proven wrong, Punahou is the clear #2 in the state. Their defense has been lights out. they have the best QB after Jayden and I don’t think it’s really that close if you compare with Hippa, Agbayani, Adolpho etc. Plus, if we can pull it off, beating Punahou is always satisfying

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Markeke,

Well I give a hoot because I am a fan of Kahuku and when posting a ranking, especially mid season, facts and numbers should be equated into your findings. Example : both Punahou and Mililani have 6-0 records so it's cool either one takes the #2 spot until they play each other. But Kahuku has a 4-2 record while Campbell has a 3-3, with their lost to the same two opponents (Mil&StL) plus a 36-7 lost to Kahuku. So then hoot.

Hoot back at ya. Campbell was right behind Kahuku before last weekend games. You know how I roll. Win and you can go up,lose and you can go down. I promote teams in my rank each week based on what they did that week,not 2-3 weeks in the past. Are you seriously trying to tell me that I should not rank Campbell above Kahuku just on the fact that Kahuku beat Campbell weeks ago. No,It's what have you done lately. According to your logic,if Campbell wound up in the Open finals against St.Louis and lost,then I would have to have a final rank of 1.St.Louis 2.Kahuku 3Campbell because Kahuku beat Campbell months ago. No, if the final was Crusaders and Campbell,it would be 1.St.Louis and 2 Campbell.....and Kahuku well. They could be anywhere from 3-5.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

unpaid wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:00 am Markeke,

This will

Hoot back at ya. Campbell was right behind Kahuku before last weekend games. You know how I roll. Win and you can go up,lose and you can go down. I promote teams in my rank each week based on what they did that week,not 2-3 weeks in the past. Are you seriously trying to tell me that I should not rank Campbell above Kahuku just on the fact that Kahuku beat Campbell weeks ago. No,It's what have you done lately. According to your logic,if Campbell wound up in the Open finals against St.Louis and lost,then I would have to have a final rank of 1.St.Louis 2.Kahuku 3Campbell because Kahuku beat Campbell months ago. No, if the final was Crusaders and Campbell,it would be 1.St.Louis and 2 Campbell.....and Kahuku well. They could be anywhere from 3-5.
No problem. HPW got it corrected. Mahalo.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid
@Markeke

I understand unpaid has a systematic way of ranking schools. But really, if Kahuku and Campbell were to play this week, I don't see how Campbell would win. Kahuku is superior at every position except QB. On top of that, doesn't Campbell have five players going both ways? I mean, Kahuku is big and physical. Those five two-way players would get beat-up. Kahuku is superior at O-line, D-line, and RB. (I don't know which school is better at special teams.) My gut still tells me Kahuku should be ranked above Campbell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:09 am After watching St Louis vs Kahuku, I’d imagine Punahou feeling better about that match up. They probably have better corners than us. They can stuff the line and dare Kahuku to throw, leaving their corners on islands. Even on wide open throws there’s a chance Adolpho will throw it at their feet or way over their head. When Kahuku lined up 5 wide, that was the coffin nails. They just trying whatever. Punahou’s secondary has been really good.

I cannot wait for the Crusaders to face off against Punahou. That is our biggest game of the season. Only one of us can go to states, and in my opinion, until I’m proven wrong, Punahou is the clear #2 in the state. Their defense has been lights out. they have the best QB after Jayden and I don’t think it’s really that close if you compare with Hippa, Agbayani, Adolpho etc. Plus, if we can pull it off, beating Punahou is always satisfying
@genks: I'm still thinking (and wishing and hoping) that Mililani is better than Punahou. OK, Punahou is a pass-oriented school, but they do run the ball, too. Kamehameha could not run on Mililani; Kamehameha has a very decent O-line. So, something tells me Punahou won't be able to run on Mililani. Mililani also is better at FGs than Punahou. Given that fact in particular, I'm hoping Mililani can squeak past Punahou by 3. Sam played against Kamehameha; hope he's even more healthy against Punahou. If Sam is healthy, he's better than Punahou's RB.

I get that Kahuku is less likely to beat Punahou than Mililani is. Is Punahou's defensive front-seven that good? Kahuku has a big O-line, big blocking-backs, and a big RB. Can Punahou stuff them?

Finally, I'm pulling big-time for St Louis to beat Punahou. Watching the St Louis v Kahuku game, I'm having some concerns about St Louis' O. Seems that Kahuku was shutting them down at certain points, despite the final score. I'm not worried about St Louis' D, but I am worried about their O against Punahou. How is St Louis' run game? Do they have one? Sam is playing for Mililani; who does St Louis have at RB? How is St Louis' O-line at run-blocking? St Louis just might have to have a run game against Punahou, keep their D guessing. If Punahou's CBs are that good, it would be nice if St Louis had a run game. Still, St Louis' pass game needs to be clicking on all cylinders.

I'm not a St Louis fan, but when they play Punahou, I become one, believe you me.

Go Saints.