2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

2019 High School Football

Post by unpaid »

In two weeks ,Friday games will be in record books,and Saturday games will be starting in a few hours.Time for my Pre-Season rank. St.Louis is still No.1. There has been a reshuffle of the 2-5 positions. We now have a clearer picture of the transfers that have added to some teams and detracted from others. Kudos to the SA and board members who shared info.As the season approaches,rating services have evaluated more players than they had in the spring for the Way Too Early rank. St.Louis went from 4 3stars or better to 10 just over the summer. Punahou went from 0 to 4 3stars, and Mililani went from 0 to 3 3star players. Here is the adjusted rank for Pre-Season.

1.St.Louis
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kahuku
5.Campbell
6.Kamehameha
7.Waipahu
8.Hilo
9.Iolani
10.Kapolei

I will post Open Division standings as they would look each week if all the games counted for both the ILH and OIA (The way it should be).The main reason I will continue to do this is to spotlight what the Open Division is losing in competition by not putting the four best teams by record into the Open Division State Playoffs.

There are no plans for a separate thread for D-II.In the past,I had D-I and D-II threads separate. Page views for D-II were still in the thousands,but conversation dried up on the thread. My takeaway was that people just are less interested in D-II games especially since the advent of the Open Division.So,I have merged the threads into the single 2019 High School Football thread.

Posts about Open,D-I,and D-II football are welcome,but I won't be doing a D-II rank this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 am In two weeks ,Friday games will be in record books,and Saturday games will be starting in a few hours.Time for my Pre-Season rank. St.Louis is still No.1. There has been a reshuffle of the 2-5 positions. We now have a clearer picture of the transfers that have added to some teams and detracted from others. Kudos to the SA and board members who shared info.As the season approaches,rating services have evaluated more players than they had in the spring for the Way Too Early rank. St.Louis went from 4 3stars or better to 10 just over the summer. Punahou went from 0 to 4 3stars, and Mililani went from 0 to 3 3star players. Here is the adjusted rank for Pre-Season.

1.St.Louis
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kahuku
5.Campbell
6.Kamehameha
7.Waipahu
8.Hilo
9.Iolani
10.Kapolei

I will post Open Division standings as they would look each week if all the games counted for both the ILH and OIA (The way it should be).The main reason I will continue to do this is to spotlight what the Open Division is losing in competition by not putting the four best teams by record into the Open Division State Playoffs.

There are no plans for a separate thread for D-II.In the past,I had D-I and D-II threads separate. Page views for D-II were still in the thousands,but conversation dried up on the thread. My takeaway was that people just are less interested in D-II games especially since the advent of the Open Division.So,I have merged the threads into the single 2019 High School Football thread.

Posts about Open,D-I,and D-II football are welcome,but I won't be doing a D-II rank this year.
unpaid wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 am In two weeks ,Friday games will be in record books,and Saturday games will be starting in a few hours.Time for my Pre-Season rank. St.Louis is still No.1. There has been a reshuffle of the 2-5 positions. We now have a clearer picture of the transfers that have added to some teams and detracted from others. Kudos to the SA and board members who shared info.As the season approaches,rating services have evaluated more players than they had in the spring for the Way Too Early rank. St.Louis went from 4 3stars or better to 10 just over the summer. Punahou went from 0 to 4 3stars, and Mililani went from 0 to 3 3star players. Here is the adjusted rank for Pre-Season.

1.St.Louis
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kahuku
5.Campbell
6.Kamehameha
7.Waipahu
8.Hilo
9.Iolani
10.Kapolei

@unpaid: Shucks. With all the transfers Mililani has been getting, I was hoping they'd be better than Punahou. Also: Can Iolani beat Kapolei? (Also, isn't Kapolei in Open?)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:43 pm

@unpaid: Shucks. With all the transfers Mililani has been getting, I was hoping they'd be better than Punahou. Also: Can Iolani beat Kapolei? (Also, isn't Kapolei in Open?)
Kapolei is in the Open which is the top tier of the three tiers in hs football now. The Open is not a classification based on enrollment,however. Every Open School is in D-I,but not every D-I school is in the Open.

Punahou and Mililani are really close to each other in terms of players rated 3 stars by recruiting services,All-Hawaii D-I returnees,players with college offers. To me , it came down to Hugh Brady returning as the starting QB for Punahou, while Mililani will break in a new starter at QB this year.

Kapolei has been losing players to other Oahu schools and at least one,maybe more to the mainland.Even worse, the Hurricanes revolved three guys at QB last year and didn't seem to have a clear cut starter by the end of the year. Iolani has an established starter at QB this year and Coach Look has made a living taking undersized players and teaching them enough technique and disciplined play to steal a game from the likes of St.Louis,Punahou, and Kamehameha every once in a while. I think they could beat Kapolei if they played this year,but that contest is not on the schedule for 2019 so we will never know for sure.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:43 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Kapolei is in the Open which is the top tier of the three tiers in hs football now. The Open is not a classification based on enrollment,however. Every Open School is in D-I,but not every D-I school is in the Open.

Punahou and Mililani are really close to each other in terms of players rated 3 stars by recruiting services,All-Hawaii D-I returnees,players with college offers. To me , it came down to Hugh Brady returning as the starting QB for Punahou, while Mililani will break in a new starter at QB this year.

Kapolei has been losing players to other Oahu schools and at least one,maybe more to the mainland.Even worse, the Hurricanes revolved three guys at QB last year and didn't seem to have a clear cut starter by the end of the year. Iolani has an established starter at QB this year and Coach Look has made a living taking undersized players and teaching them enough technique and disciplined play to steal a game from the likes of St.Louis,Punahou, and Kamehameha every once in a while. I think they could beat Kapolei if they played this year,but that contest is not on the schedule for 2019 so we will never know for sure.
Kapolei has lost a couple to Bishop Gorman haven’t they? One is Bam Amina who will be coming down this season.

They had some real athletes last year, and was a tough game against STL. I still find it odd that they lost to Farrington when it seemed they had way more weapons last few years. Especially they year they were LOADED with Taulia, Myron, and all those other killers.

I just wonder if it isn’t coaching and maybe lack of discipline. I’ve seen them make nice plays, only to get an unsportsmanlike like call and erase the whole thing. They’ve done that multiple times in the same game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

genks,

That LOADED year was the same year that June Jones was working with the Kapolei offense.Don't know how Coach Hernandez reeled Coach Jones in for that one season,but it did wonders for the Hurricanes back then.

On the subject of penalties ,it might be interesting to go on the StarAdvertiser site and do a search like "football penalties" and see which schools come up most often.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:50 am genks,

That LOADED year was the same year that June Jones was working with the Kapolei offense.Don't know how Coach Hernandez reeled Coach Jones in for that one season,but it did wonders for the Hurricanes back then.

On the subject of penalties ,it might be interesting to go on the StarAdvertiser site and do a search like "football penalties" and see which schools come up most often.
Oh that’s right! I forgot that June Jones was there that year. I don’t think Kapolei has had a bad roster last few years. I definitely don’t think they’ve done was well as they could’ve on paper with what they’ve had.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Recruiting services seem to be paying more attention to Hawaii prep players. St.Louis has a total of 10 players rated at 3 or 4 stars. To me it seems that 10 is the number of ranked players that is the benchmark which determines if a school gets ranked nationally in the Top 25 by Maxpreps, Freeman, or you name it.

Apparently,Maxpreps has St.Louis as the No.11 team in the nation. But,that is not the end of the story,oh no!
Punahou has 4 3stars,Mililani has 3 3stars. Looking at the rest of my Preseason Top Ten teams,everyone of the last seven teams,except Iolani, has 1 3star player according to one or more rating services/ sites.

If any board members attend scrimmages in the next few days ,please let us know what you thought.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Just finished reviewing the 247 rankings for over 2500 players nationwide in the class of 2020.Kahuku has 4 3tars ,Campbell has 2,Waipahu 1,Kamehameha 2,Kapolei 2,Farrington 1, and Konawaena has 1 3star.

Campbell would have had 3,but JL Lavea transferred to Kahuku and joined Kaniho,Kaufusi,and Soliai-Howlett to make 4 for Red Raider Nation.
Lewa Emmsley got 3 stars putting him along with Maceal Afaese at Kapolei.

Tyrese Tafai picked up a 3star for Campbell.

Micah Lilo got a 3star rating alongside 3star Ezra Evaimalo for Kamehameha.

Farrington's Faaope Laloulu picked up a 3star player rank as well Konawaena's Alex Muti.

No change on the numbers for St.Louis,Mililani,and Waipahu.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

I know that Hilo practiced and scrimmaged on Oahu. Also heard that Konawaena went down and scrimmaged Kahuku and Leilehua? Anyone have any info or input on how these two Big Island teams fared on Oahu? Thanks.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week one picks,

Kauai over Kalaheo
Farrington over Leilehua
Aiea over Kaiser
Kapolei over Castle
Waipahu over Waianae
Iolani over Kamehameha-Hawaii
Nanakuli over Molokai
Punahou over Kailua
Pearl City over Kealakehe
Lahainaluna over Damien
McKinley over King Kekaulike

JMHO.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

So,Bam Amina is at Mililani in 2019. St. Louis has 4 4stars and 6 3stars. Way down the line, Punahou, Mililani, and Kahuku each have 4 3stars now. Can't say that there will be a lot of uncertainty with The Crusaders able to overmatch all other Hawaii opponents ,talent wise.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I'm surprised the Star-Advertiser ranks Mililani at #5. I thought they'd be #2 or #3. Any thoughts, anyone?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:19 pm So,Bam Amina is at Mililani in 2019. St. Louis has 4 4stars and 6 3stars. Way down the line, Punahou, Mililani, and Kahuku each have 4 3stars now. Can't say that there will be a lot of uncertainty with The Crusaders able to overmatch all other Hawaii opponents ,talent wise.
@unpaid: Yep. Seems the only question is: Who will lose to St Louis in the state Open title game?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:19 pm So,Bam Amina is at Mililani in 2019. St. Louis has 4 4stars and 6 3stars. Way down the line, Punahou, Mililani, and Kahuku each have 4 3stars now. Can't say that there will be a lot of uncertainty with The Crusaders able to overmatch all other Hawaii opponents ,talent wise.
I wonder if Amina is from Mililani or Kapolei. If he’s from Kapolei I assume he’s chasing the OIA title. I guess if he’s from Mililani, he wanted to play for Kapolei’s super team back then

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 pm
I wonder if Amina is from Mililani or Kapolei. If he’s from Kapolei I assume he’s chasing the OIA title. I guess if he’s from Mililani, he wanted to play for Kapolei’s super team back then
@genks: If Amina is chasing the OIA Open title, it looks like he should have transferred to a school other than Mililani. The Star-Advertiser ranks Mililani at #5. Assuming that St Louis and Punahou will be #1 and #2, respectively, there'll be two OIA Open schools better than Mililani.