2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by gopunahou »

I think Punahou’s JV team played against lesser OIA opponents
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Punahou seems to have had a JV team in 2019. On Hawaiiprepworld the gamenight Punahou-Kapolei blog lists the JV score. Puns must have had a JV this year. Scoringlive has nothing on JV standings for the ILH.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:31 am HS Football Fanatic,

St.Louis and Punahou sites did not post 2019 records for ILH JV/intermediate football as far as I could tell, but Kamehameha did post theirs.Warriors JV went 4-2-1,losing to Mililani,Kahuku,and tied St.Louis 14-14. ILH site didn't post Intermediate football standings but you could surmise,looking at the Kamehameha and Iolani football pages, that the probable winner in that division was St.Louis.
@unpaid: OK, there's a problem here. Kamehameha's JV got smashed by Waianae's JV. And yet Kamehameha's JV was able to tie St Louis' JV? That's not saying much for St Louis' JV. And, Waianae's JV wasn't even OIA champs; Mililani's JV was, I think.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:23 am

For what it's worth, I thought St. Louis represented Hawaii well (Minus the personal fouls & late hits)

If there was a team to play a top mainland team, this St. Louis team was it. I wished they played in August though instead of December.

I give them credit for taking the challenge. It also shows how far St. Louis has separated themselves from Hawaii high school football with the exception of Punahou.

I'm looking forward to see them schedule a competitive non league schedule next year, maybe 2 mainland opponents that are Top 50. Maxpreps dropped them 7 spots after that loss, which was kind of harsh considering STA was #3 in the nation. But that shows how much they think of Hawaii high school football.

After looking at that game though, I see ILH being a toss up between them and Punahou. OIA teams are going to take a drop off in talent and I think that will make the OIA competitive with each other but still far behind the ILH.
@teamhawaii: OK, I'm certain that Punahou must have had a JV. With that school's enrollment, they simply had to have a JV.

@teamhawaii: I'm glad you think St Louis can match Punahou next season. I thought Punahou would run the table, and take State Open. I think St Louis will need some help from its JV. Did St Louis take the JV title? I hope so. I mean, I'm no fan of St Louis School, but I would much rather have them than Punahou School, please believe me.
I think St. Louis won the JV title.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Punahou fielded a JV team this year. They had an Intermediate team but I couldn’t find any record of a JV Team.
(OK, I don't know what happened here. I responded to this e-mail, yet my response wasn't picked-up, so we have this repeat post that doesn't have my response. My response is in the following post.)
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:23 am

For what it's worth, I thought St. Louis represented Hawaii well (Minus the personal fouls & late hits)

If there was a team to play a top mainland team, this St. Louis team was it. I wished they played in August though instead of December.

I give them credit for taking the challenge. It also shows how far St. Louis has separated themselves from Hawaii high school football with the exception of Punahou.

I'm looking forward to see them schedule a competitive non league schedule next year, maybe 2 mainland opponents that are Top 50. Maxpreps dropped them 7 spots after that loss, which was kind of harsh considering STA was #3 in the nation. But that shows how much they think of Hawaii high school football.

After looking at that game though, I see ILH being a toss up between them and Punahou. OIA teams are going to take a drop off in talent and I think that will make the OIA competitive with each other but still far behind the ILH.
@teamhawaii: I'm glad you think St Louis can match Punahou next season. I thought Punahou would run the table, and take State Open. I think St Louis will need some help from its JV. Did St Louis take the JV title? I hope so. I mean, I'm no fan of St Louis School, but I would much rather have them than Punahou School, please believe me.
I think St. Louis won the JV title.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Punahou fielded a JV team this year. They had an Intermediate team but I couldn’t find any record of a JV Team.
@teamahawaii: OK, I'm certain that Punahou had a JV. That school's enrollment is large enough that they just had to have a JV. Only smaller-enrollment schools like Iolani and perhaps Damien, don't have a JV.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:22 pm I think Punahou’s JV team played against lesser OIA opponents
@gopunahou: That was true for St Louis, too. St Louis' JV played the same schools that Punahou's JV did.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

I honestly can’t find anything that shows Punahou fielded a JV team.

Kamehameha & St. Louis doesn’t show them playing each other this season on Maxpreps and when Kahuku played them, the JV has a bye.

Even the Hudl shows nothing.

Punahou Intermediate shows a full season.

Also, explains the varsity had a lot of Sophomores and Freshman on the roster.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

If you look at the Kamehameha JV page at kamehameha-kapalamawarriors.org webpage ,you will see that Kamehameha's JV beat Waianae's JV 29-22 this season. You will find the losses to Kahuku,Mililani,and the tie to St.Louis there also.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:12 am HS Football Fanatic,

If you look at the Kamehameha JV page at kamehameha-kapalamawarriors.org webpage ,you will see that Kamehameha's JV beat Waianae's JV 29-22 this season. You will find the losses to Kahuku,Mililani,and the tie to St.Louis there also.
@unpaid: Oh, OK, thanks. I watched the Kamehameha vs Waianae game on TV, and I could have sworn the announcer said Waianae's JV smashed Kamehameha's JV like 30-something to some score for Kamehameha 10 points or less. Perhaps that was the Kahuku game, which was also on TV, and Kahuku's JV smashed them; I watched both games on TV. I guess I'm not surprised that Kamehameha's JV lost to both Kahuku and Mililani, because I think those two schools played for the OIA title, with Mililani winning. Still, if Kamehameha's JV was able to tie St Louis, I think St Louis' JV wasn't as tough as they were for a number of years. I just hope St Louis' vars gets more help from its JV than Punahou's vars does from theirs. gopunahou posted that the graduation of Terrell will cripple Punahou's run-game next season, but that assumes that there's no one capable of taking his place. If that's the case, then St Louis' D can focus on the pass when they play Punahou, and worry less about the run than they had to with Terrell playing.
Also, I just went to that Kamehameha Schools website. I saw that indeed it was Kahuku's JV that smashed Kamehameha's JV, 35-7. Now, if Kamehameha's JV tied St Louis' JV, then Kahuku's JV might have smashed St Louis' JV by a similar score. That means Kahuku's vars will get a lot more help from the JV than St Louis' vars will get from their JV. So, will Kahuku's vars be a force to reckon with next season? Sounds like they might have a kick-butt O, especially. Another question is, how long will it take for the players coming-up from Kahuku's JV to have an impact on the vars? My understanding is that a JV going-up to vars might take a year to have an impact, so perhaps Kahuku's vars might not get a commensurate boost until two seasons from now.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There is a video of the St.Louis-Kahuku JV game on YouTube.Kahuku won 35-20 if memory doesn't fail me.The game flow was all Kahuku to start,St.Louis starts catching up in the middle,then Kahuku put the game away towards the end.

The QB No.6 for St.Louis needs some more work,but he can create with his legs and get time to throw. The receivers had a few too many dropped balls I thought. One RB looked decent,but didn't have enough touches to see what he could do.There were two linemen that stood out size-wise on the right side. I think I would have handed the ball off a little more often to the RB and get him behind those two road graders to see what happened.

Kahuku's QB was small ,for a Kahuku kid,but he can sling the football. He also could scramble to get away from trouble.The receiver No11 is a playmaker.Showed good hands,makes defenders miss,and breakaway speed. The OL big and uniform size.Defense brought constant pressure.

Just my impressions....and it was just one game.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

unpaid wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:17 am There is a video of the St.Louis-Kahuku JV game on YouTube.Kahuku won 35-20 if memory doesn't fail me.The game flow was all Kahuku to start,St.Louis starts catching up in the middle,then Kahuku put the game away towards the end.

The QB No.6 for St.Louis needs some more work,but he can create with his legs and get time to throw. The receivers had a few too many dropped balls I thought. One RB looked decent,but didn't have enough touches to see what he could do.There were two linemen that stood out size-wise on the right side. I think I would have handed the ball off a little more often to the RB and get him behind those two road graders to see what happened.

Kahuku's QB was small ,for a Kahuku kid,but he can sling the football. He also could scramble to get away from trouble.The receiver No11 is a playmaker.Showed good hands,makes defenders miss,and breakaway speed. The OL big and uniform size.Defense brought constant pressure.

That JV Saint Louis QB won’t be a varsity starter for at least a few years. Next year will be a battle between, barring a transfer out, Connor Apo, AJ Bianco and Kekahi Graham.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:17 am There is a video of the St.Louis-Kahuku JV game on YouTube.Kahuku won 35-20 if memory doesn't fail me.The game flow was all Kahuku to start,St.Louis starts catching up in the middle,then Kahuku put the game away towards the end.

@unpaid: OK, I think what stands-out here is that Kahuku's JV had a kick-butt O (assuming that all their TDs against St Louis and Kamehameha were scored by the O). They scored 35 points against both St Louis and Kamehameha. I mean, if you can score 35 points against St Louis, you're kicking butt. And, by your description of the playmakers (QB and WR), it sounds like the JV was pass-oriented. Is that correct? If it is, imagine that: A pass-oriented Kahuku O that kicks butt. Big O-line. Could it be that Kahuku will be the St Louis of OIA Open in two years? Strong, pass-oriented O.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Punahou did not have a JV team this year. Only an intermediate team that's why there were freshman and sophomores who probably could have benefited from a year of JV playing on the varsity team. Punahou is the youngest and smallest varsity team in the Open this year. I definitely commend them on performing the way they did this season especially after losing a senior heavy team the year before.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 am Punahou did not have a JV team this year. Only an intermediate team that's why there were freshman and sophomores who probably could have benefited from a year of JV playing on the varsity team. Punahou is the youngest and smallest varsity team in the Open this year. I definitely commend them on performing the way they did this season especially after losing a senior heavy team the year before.
@ka'ahupahau706: OK, that is an absolute shocker. I mean, I can't remember a time when Punahou School didn't have a JV. I mean, that school's enrollment has always been adequate to field a JV. And, I doubt that it's because not enough players turned-out for JV. I suspect that there was some kind of coach-related or parental problem, perhaps something like what happened at Kaiser High last year. Anyone know?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

What I’m hoping is that we don’t revert to our 1997-2004 form. You know how much KSK is struggling right now? Those teams would beat our 1997-2004 editions. Hell, between 1997 and 2001, we had a LOSING record against Iolani. And couldn’t beat Pac-Five in 1998.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!