2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am @genks: Well, Kapolei barely got past Waianae this past weekend, and Waianae wasn't even ranked.
This early in the season, maybe you shouldn't use the ever-changing weekly rankings as a hard-and-fast guide to exactly which matchups are tough and which aren't. Lots of teams still breaking in new players, coaches and schemes.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

genks wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 pm Finally game night tomorrow!!! Can’t wait! I know my boys can’t wait to get out there and play. Last year Kapolei made the game tough. They have some great athletes, and that very very athletic receiver, forget his name but he’s a playmaker. I’m looking for a serious pass rush. I’m looking at a line that I’m sure is eager to prove that they can get after the qb without Gino and Tui. Expect greatness as usual from Jordan and Nick. I’d like to see at least 1 defensive TD. They had one in most games last year. Always respect, never fear, let’s goooooooo!!!!
Well I think StL. by a minimum 5 tds. Get up quick then let the reserves play. Can't let injuries happen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

bandits1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am @genks: Well, Kapolei barely got past Waianae this past weekend, and Waianae wasn't even ranked.
This early in the season, maybe you shouldn't use the ever-changing weekly rankings as a hard-and-fast guide to exactly which matchups are tough and which aren't. Lots of teams still breaking in new players, coaches and schemes.
@bandits1: Well, of course they aren't really hard-and-fast guides. And yes, teams are still being "broken-in." But, in this case, the same could be said of both Waianae and Kapolei. I'll say this, though: Perhaps Waianae should have been ranked, at at least #10. What complicates matters even further is that different polls have schools at different rankings. Both the scoringlive poll and the Star-Advertiser poll have St Louis at #1, but below that, a school might occupy different positions in the two polls. When the season began, The Star-Ad poll had Iolani at #10. I think Waianae clearly should have been #10, seeing as Moanalua beat Iolani, and Moanalua wasn't even ranked. If Waianae and Iolani were to play an interdivisional game this week, I think Waianae would win, to be honest with you. Iolani's O-line is really quite small. I think the only reason they piled-on 41 points on Kamehameha-Hawaii is that the Warriors are also small. I think Waianae's D-line would pour through Iolani's O-line like water.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am
genks wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 pm Finally game night tomorrow!!! Can’t wait! I know my boys can’t wait to get out there and play. Last year Kapolei made the game tough. They have some great athletes, and that very very athletic receiver, forget his name but he’s a playmaker. I’m looking for a serious pass rush. I’m looking at a line that I’m sure is eager to prove that they can get after the qb without Gino and Tui. Expect greatness as usual from Jordan and Nick. I’d like to see at least 1 defensive TD. They had one in most games last year. Always respect, never fear, let’s goooooooo!!!!
Well I think StL. by a minimum 5 tds. Get up quick then let the reserves play. Can't let injuries happen.
@Markeke: St Louis by 35? Well, could be. But, I would love to see Kapolei's O-line go after St Louis' D-line, get really physical with them. I don't know that they can, though. Nothing like a knock-down, drag-out affair between two physical lines katoozhing each other. Sweat flying with each katoozh. D-linemen being pancaked on run plays. O-linemen being smacked to a jarring halt by powerful fist-blocks or palm-blocks, their breast pads and shoulder pads barely able to withstand the forces involved. Physical football at its finest. It's a thing of beauty when a very physical D-lineman puts a powerful palm-block on a thick O-lineman's shoulder pads; especially when it's one palm on one shoulder pad. You could have a 300-lb O-linemen being held back by a powerful palm-block on either shoulder pad, and it looks like he's being suspended by one shoulder, at the pad. It's hilarious--yet amazing--to see.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One could make the argument that preseason polls are a waste of time and that rankings should only come out 4 weeks in.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 pm One could make the argument that preseason polls are a waste of time and that rankings should only come out 4 weeks in.
@gopunahou: Well, guys have to understand the provisional nature of football polls. It is not--and can not--be an exact science. Football polls basically are having teams play on paper, but the game isn't played on paper. But a poll still gives you a rough idea, and that's better than no idea at all. Besides, polls can by updated each week, and each new poll takes the preceding weekend's game-results into account. I.e., football polls are fine-tuned each week. I wouldn't want to wait 4 weeks for a poll; I want some idea now.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Star Advertiser polls are more traditional. Goes on coaching, athletes returning, what they look on paper.

ScoringLive is more social media based. They take account 247 Rankings, 7on7 Tournaments, Students Transferring.

In any case, We can all agree that St. Louis is number 1 regardless of the polls.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 pm One could make the argument that preseason polls are a waste of time and that rankings should only come out 4 weeks in.
I think it’s more for us fans than anything.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Bingo. Different styles, different schemes, new personnel etc

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 pm
@genks: Well, of course that's true. My point was that it's basically true for all schools. It's so complicated, running a high school football team. So many different factors, so many moving parts. But, that's basically true for all schools. A poll basically takes a snapshot of the schools at one point in time. We simply have to understand that things could change drastically in as little as a week. But, I still say we shouldn't completely ignore polls; better to have some indication than none at all. You figure the polls aren't being put together by the average joe on the street. Oftentimes coaches take part, for example. Sportswriters might be involved, who actually cover teams as part of their job, and evaluate how they stack-up against each other. Polls are like a flashlight with weak batteries, but ignoring polls is like having no batteries at all in the flashlight. I mean, it's not like those polls are being put together by your 10-year-old niece.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 pm
@genks: Well, of course that's true. My point was that it's basically true for all schools. It's so complicated, running a high school football team. So many different factors, so many moving parts. But, that's basically true for all schools. A poll basically takes a snapshot of the schools at one point in time. We simply have to understand that things could change drastically in as little as a week. But, I still say we shouldn't completely ignore polls; better to have some indication than none at all. You figure the polls aren't being put together by the average joe on the street. Oftentimes coaches take part, for example. Sportswriters might be involved, who actually cover teams as part of their job, and evaluate how they stack-up against each other. Polls are like a flashlight with weak batteries, but ignoring polls is like having no batteries at all in the flashlight. I mean, it's not like those polls are being put together by your 10-year-old niece.
Yeah I get what you’re saying. My thing is in the top 3 or 4, any team can win on any night. I don’t want to completely disregard rankings, but I think match ups mean more when you look at the top of the rankings.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Yeah I get what you’re saying. My thing is in the top 3 or 4, any team can win on any night. I don’t want to completely disregard rankings, but I think match ups mean more when you look at the top of the rankings.
@genks: St Louis is really sitting in the catbird seat right now. We've been talking about polls, but St Louis is probably the only school right now who can totally disregard polls. After all, they're #1 in all of them. It's almost like St Louis is above the fray, sitting pretty, legs comfortably crossed. At the moment Punahou must feel really agitated. ILH Open gets only one berth in States, and St Louis was bound to get that berth even when Punahou had Brady. Now he's out for the season, but again: Does it really matter in the cosmic scheme of things? Punahou probably wasn't going to States anyway. In some ways, the season seems meaningless for Punahou. I think the Puns really have to live in the moment, and consider each win a championship of sorts. Kind of a sucky situation, but Kamehameha is in essentially the same boat.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I would never ever count wins before they are earned. That’s a fast track to losing. Brady was a really good player and it’s really sad that his season ended with an injury. But Punahou and Coach Ane can never be over looked. They always come to play hard and are always very skilled and well coached. Remember, we only saw Brady come in when Barber was hurt. Who knows how good the new guy will be. With a few games under his belt he could be great.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:00 pm I would never ever count wins before they are earned. That’s a fast track to losing. Brady was a really good player and it’s really sad that his season ended with an injury. But Punahou and Coach Ane can never be over looked. They always come to play hard and are always very skilled and well coached. Remember, we only saw Brady come in when Barber was hurt. Who knows how good the new guy will be. With a few games under his belt he could be great.
@genks: Well, that's true. But, St Louis still remains the favorite. I mean, before Brady got hurt, I was about 90% certain St Louis would take ILH Open. Now that he's out, I'm about 95% certain. Who's the new Punahou QB? Something like Sagapolutele? Pretty good for a freshman. But, I would still much rather be St Louis than Punahou.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm
genks wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:00 pm I would never ever count wins before they are earned. That’s a fast track to losing. Brady was a really good player and it’s really sad that his season ended with an injury. But Punahou and Coach Ane can never be over looked. They always come to play hard and are always very skilled and well coached. Remember, we only saw Brady come in when Barber was hurt. Who knows how good the new guy will be. With a few games under his belt he could be great.
@genks: Well, that's true. But, St Louis still remains the favorite. I mean, before Brady got hurt, I was about 90% certain St Louis would take ILH Open. Now that he's out, I'm about 95% certain. Who's the new Punahou QB? Something like Sagapolutele? Pretty good for a freshman. But, I would still much rather be St Louis than Punahou.
Sagapolutele's got better mobility than Brady. What he needs is as good of a connection with our skill players as Brady had.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!