Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by genks »

#1Kahuku wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:23 pm
University Ave wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:24 pm Can you just transfer into Kapalama whenever? I thought you had to be accepted going into high school?

I have a feeling Iolani will drop to D2 and force Damien to follow.

Isn't Alfred Failauga like 20 years old already? He's still playing next year?

Nobody will get close to St Louis.

I thought the Kahuku players that went to Campbell are going back home?
People who hope that both Iolani and St Louis win state championships deserve to die for having that opinion.
I definitely don’t want tough guys like you to hurt me, so should I be cheering for kahuku then?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

University Ave wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:24 pm Can you just transfer into Kapalama whenever? I thought you had to be accepted going into high school?

@University Ave: You've made such interesting comments.
1. I've been under the impression that to get into Kamehameha, you have to get picked by lottery (in addition to having Hawaiian blood, of course.)
2. I don't see how Iolani can justify dropping to D2. I mean, they played for the D1 state title this past season, giving Waipahu all they could handle. Damien, I could see dropping to D2. I'm not saying they suck; I'm only saying that they weren't as good as Iolani.
3. I don't know how old Failauga is, but for at least two decades there's been a problem of guys playing high school football when they're 19+ years of age. That's like a college kid playing against high school kids. Having said that, I kind of like Waipahu, so I don't mind Failauga playing for them even if he is 19+ years of age.
4. I don't know if I'd say no one will get close to St Louis, but I think it's pretty certain that no one will beat them.
5. If Campbell is losing its Kahuku transfers, then guys will have to revise their Top Ten, dropping Campbell down at least one.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:33 am

People who hope that both Iolani and St Louis win state championships deserve to die for having that opinion.
I definitely don’t want tough guys like you to hurt me, so should I be cheering for kahuku then?
@genks: You're a St Louis alumnus, so you have every right to cheer for St Louis. I don't think #1Kahuku is threatening you; he just doesn't like St Louis School and Iolani School. I don't really like those two schools either, if the truth be told, but I guess I'm not as hostile as he is. Besides, St Louis has its share of tough alumni. When I think of St Louis School, I think they have a fairly tough image.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:39 pm

1. I've been under the impression that to get into Kamehameha, you have to get picked by lottery (in addition to having Hawaiian blood, of course.)
2. I don't see how Iolani can justify dropping to D2. I mean, they played for the D1 state title this past season, giving Waipahu all they could handle. Damien, I could see dropping to D2. I'm not saying they suck; I'm only saying that they weren't as good as Iolani.
3. I don't know how old Failauga is, but for at least two decades there's been a problem of guys playing high school football when they're 19+ years of age. That's like a college kid playing against high school kids. Having said that, I kind of like Waipahu, so I don't mind Failauga playing for them even if he is 19+ years of age.
4. I don't know if I'd say no one will get close to St Louis, but I think it's pretty certain that no one will beat them.
5. If Campbell is losing its Kahuku transfers, then guys will have to revise their Top Ten, dropping Campbell down at least one.
I was also under the impression that it is very difficult to get into Kam. I would guess transferring would be even harder unless maybe the kid has excellent grades, good participation in school stuff, etc. My uneducated guess would be it’s easier to stay there than it is to get in.

I also disagree with Iolani dropping to D2. They did lose to the Lunas 2 years ago but I think Lahainaluna could move to D1 themselves. I don’t agree with teams dropping whenever they have a bad season. If they want to challenge and move up then that’s fine. But moving back and forth is iffy for me. Not sure how everyone else feels, and doesn’t affect St Louis.

Not sure how Waipahu looks roster wise for the next few years, but would be very interesting to see them move up to the Open. They looked very strong this last season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:39 pm

I was also under the impression that it is very difficult to get into Kam. I would guess transferring would be even harder unless maybe the kid has excellent grades, good participation in school stuff, etc. My uneducated guess would be it’s easier to stay there than it is to get in.

I also disagree with Iolani dropping to D2. They did lose to the Lunas 2 years ago but I think Lahainaluna could move to D1 themselves. I don’t agree with teams dropping whenever they have a bad season. If they want to challenge and move up then that’s fine. But moving back and forth is iffy for me. Not sure how everyone else feels, and doesn’t affect St Louis.

Not sure how Waipahu looks roster wise for the next few years, but would be very interesting to see them move up to the Open. They looked very strong this last season.
@genks:
1. The only reason it might be difficult to get into Kamehameha Schools is that lots of parents with part-Hawaiian kids want their kids to get in, but there isn't enough room. Their academics aren't that good; they might be a little better than St Louis School. (I'm not saying that St Louis School sucks in academics; I'm just saying that neither they nor Kamehameha Schools are as strong in academics as Iolani School or Punahou School.)

2. I agree that Iolani School should not be allowed to drop to D2; I don't think they have a case. Heck, they played in the State D1 title game, and while they lost, they didn't get their butts kicked. The game was close enough.

3. Guys are saying that Waipahu High is good enough to go up to Open; I have my doubts about that. Is Iolani School good enough to go up to Open? The Marauders beat them by only so much in the state D1 title game. I mean, I agree Waipahu High is strong, but I just don't think they're strong enough to go up to Open.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

genks wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:33 am

Cheer for any team or set of teams you like, as long as it ain’t Iolani and St Louis. But if you be a St.Louis fan, don’t go be cheering for Iolani. If you get the opinion that “Iolani is my favorite D1 team while St Louis be my favorite Open team. I hope both of them win state titles!”, you deserve to die. All people with that opinion deserve to die. Every sane person would agree with me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 pm [quote=genks post_id=597963 time=1559338432 user_id=9530]
Cheer for any team or set of teams you like, as long as it ain’t Iolani and St Louis. But if you be a St.Louis fan, don’t go be cheering for Iolani. If you get the opinion that “Iolani is my favorite D1 team while St Louis be my favorite Open team. I hope both of them win state titles!”, you deserve to die. All people with that opinion deserve to die. Every sane person would agree with me.
[/quote]

@#1Kahuku: I don't know genks personally, but I do know he's a St Louis alumnus. So, it's not only understandable that he's a St Louis fan; he should be a St Louis fan. But, I would doubt that he's also an Iolani fan. Iolani is his alma mater's rival in just about every sport except soccer, as St Louis is D2 in soccer while Iolani is D1. The only way he could be both a St Louis fan and an Iolani fan is if he's an "all-ILH" guy. I know a lady who's an all-ILH gal. Whenever an ILH school and an OIA school play each other, she always cheers for the ILH school. (She's an alumna of an ILH school.) To her, the league is more important than the school. I don't know if genks is like that, but I doubt it. I'm just the opposite of that "all-ILH" gal. To me, the school is more important than the league. If an ILH school is playing an OIA school, I cheer for the school that I like more. The leagues don't matter to me. To me, league loyalty makes little sense emotionally. Let's say I'm an alumnus of an ILH school, but not Punahou School. Why should I cheer for Punahou, when they already win most of the ILH and state titles? If Punahou is playing an OIA school, I would much rather cheer for the OIA school. Unless you're a Punahou alumnus, why cheer for them, when they already win most of the titles? To me, that makes no sense emotionally, quite frankly.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Right. It's way too early for the 2019 Top 10. Kahuku #3 OIA team? Behind Campbell? And why would you give up a Punahou diploma to grad from a public school? Just to play? Recruiting and facilities plus staff, oh plus $$$ will always produce the top teams.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

I believe it's basically St. Louis at number 1 and than the rest.

I think you give Mililani that OIA #1 spot out of respect but I am interested to see who will be there QB. I trust their coaching staff and I know there Defense should be cool with (Kady, Pilanca, Iosfefa). I'm assuming they got kids coming up from the JV program as well.

I can see Campbell being the #2 team in the OIA. DJ has a lot of studs returning. Freshman QB Blaine Hipa Returning, ATH Peter Manuma, Tama/Titus Mokiao-Atimalala Bros, Pokii Adkins-Kupukaa, Tyrese Tafai has been really quiet on the recruiting scene this past offseason? But those guys alone returning looks promising.

I'm still not sold on Punahou yet. Offense should be ok with QB-Brady, WR-Eldridge, RB-Terrell and OL-Moeai anchoring the O Line. But a lot of seniors graduated on Defense besides DB-Gilman and the Freshman DL Tafiti? Coaching staff always has the boys prepared come season time though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Haven't heard anything in the Transfer news, especially the Saint Francis boys. I know one of their lineman is going to St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida. Usually Hawaii Prep World does a Spring Report but it's been media sites has been really dry leading up this Hawaii Prep Football Season.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:28 am I believe it's basically St. Louis at number 1 and than the rest.

I think you give Mililani that OIA #1 spot out of respect but I am interested to see who will be there QB. I trust their coaching staff and I know there Defense should be cool with (Kady, Pilanca, Iosfefa). I'm assuming they got kids coming up from the JV program as well.

I can see Campbell being the #2 team in the OIA. DJ has a lot of studs returning. Freshman QB Blaine Hipa Returning, ATH Peter Manuma, Tama/Titus Mokiao-Atimalala Bros, Pokii Adkins-Kupukaa, Tyrese Tafai has been really quiet on the recruiting scene this past offseason? But those guys alone returning looks promising.

I'm still not sold on Punahou yet. Offense should be ok with QB-Brady, WR-Eldridge, RB-Terrell and OL-Moeai anchoring the O Line. But a lot of seniors graduated on Defense besides DB-Gilman and the Freshman DL Tafiti? Coaching staff always has the boys prepared come season time though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Haven't heard anything in the Transfer news, especially the Saint Francis boys. I know one of their lineman is going to St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida. Usually Hawaii Prep World does a Spring Report but it's been media sites has been really dry leading up this Hawaii Prep Football Season.
Hiram defries-Saronitman, Dillon Lundberg, Jonah Henry, and Legend Matautia are some players who could shine on our defense this year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am
teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:28 am I believe it's basically St. Louis at number 1 and than the rest.

Hiram defries-Saronitman, Dillon Lundberg, Jonah Henry, and Legend Matautia are some players who could shine on our defense this year.
Thanks for that insight! I’m actually rooting for Punahou and Kamehameha to make it competitive in the ILH. I believe Punahou has the best chance.

I believe Kamehameha is facing it’s challenges to get recruits for the simple fact of being part Hawaiian and than the Test/Interview. Sadly, I don’t think Kamehameha has that HIGH REPUTATION for Hawaiian student athletes as in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s. Unless, I’m wrong but is there still buzz for youth football players wanting to attend Kamehameha?

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

If that gon be the case, schools here should refuse to play St. Louis. Wen happened in Nevada with Bishop Gorman. And if Iolani go D2, those schools ought to refuse to play dem. Iolani get one bigger enrollment den Kahuku get and dey wanna play D2?

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

#1Kahuku wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:01 pm

If that gon be the case, schools here should refuse to play St. Louis. Wen happened in Nevada with Bishop Gorman. And if Iolani go D2, those schools ought to refuse to play dem. Iolani get one bigger enrollment den Kahuku get and dey wanna play D2?
I wouldn't compare St. Louis to the Bishop Gorman situation.

Bishop Gorman were getting recruits from So-Cal to LA and also to our very own home in Hawaii. Plus, taking the best talent pool from Las Vegas.

St. Louis is just getting the best of the best in Hawaii. There's nothing wrong in that in my book.
I don't see families from California, Nevada or Utah moving their son to Hawaii just so their son can attend and play for St. Louis.

The help of St. Louis success in winning 3 state championships, Marcus and Tua making Heisman headlines, Beating mainland competition & having the winningest coach in Hawaii High School history in Cal Lee is exactly why parent's are sending their kids to St. Louis.

Punahou was in the same boat with their hype from '08-'16 when Barack Obama was president and Heisman hopeful Manti Teo.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:56 pm Right. It's way too early for the 2019 Top 10. Kahuku #3 OIA team? Behind Campbell? And why would you give up a Punahou diploma to grad from a public school? Just to play? Recruiting and facilities plus staff, oh plus $$$ will always produce the top teams.
@Markeke:
1. I don't think Campbell can look forward to much help from their JV. Kamehameha's JV smashed them 38-0 last year. All Campbell can rely on are vars returnees, and transfers.
2. Private schools aren't for everyone. If that weren't the case, every kid would be at a private school, and there'd be no public schools. The fact that every public school on the island--(excluding "special"/charter schools like Hawaii School for the Deaf and Blind, and Anuenue School)--has a football team, proves that public schools are there for kids who, for whatever reason, cannot attend a private school.
3. $$$ doesn't always produce the top teams. Kamehameha has more $$$ than any school in the state, yet they haven't won the ILH in what, 9 years? Of course, what might be hurting them is that they can take only players who have Hawaiian blood. So, let's look at Punahou, which has no racial admission requirements. Kahuku still beat them in football the last 7 years or so.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am
gopunahou wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for that insight! I’m actually rooting for Punahou and Kamehameha to make it competitive in the ILH. I believe Punahou has the best chance.

I believe Kamehameha is facing it’s challenges to get recruits for the simple fact of being part Hawaiian and than the Test/Interview. Sadly, I don’t think Kamehameha has that HIGH REPUTATION for Hawaiian student athletes as in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s. Unless, I’m wrong but is there still buzz for youth football players wanting to attend Kamehameha?
@teamhawaii:
1. OK, I need some clarification as to whether a kid still needs to test into Kamehameha. I can see the interview, but is there a test? Last I heard, it was all by lottery. Can Kamehameha alumni weigh-in here, shed some light?
2. They say that players coming-up from the JV take 2 years to have an impact. But, Kamehameha's JV smashed Campbell's JV 38-0 last year.
3. Kamehameha isn't going to be competitive in ILH Open. They'll be the doormat again. They just can't seem to cut it anymore. When was their last good year? 2013?
4. Regarding Kamehameha not having that "HIGH REPUTATION" for Hawaiian athletes anymore, my suspicion is that Punahou is stealing Hawaiian athletes who, back in the day, might have attended Kamehameha.