Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 pm
genks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:41 pm

WOW! Thanks for the update and I also added the info on the thread per you.

Well that makes Mililani A LOT more Dangerous lol still don’t who their QB is...But their Defense looks stacked. I heard rumors about Hoohuli transferring but couldn’t confirm it.
Big get for Mililani and big loss for the Crusaders. Right now is a tough time to fight for playing time amongst the linebackers at St Louis
St. Louis probably has the deepest core of LB’s I have ever seen.

Jordan Botelho (Probably go back to hybird DE this year)
Nick Herbig
Lawaia Brown
Darrell Masaniai
Mason Tufaga

Hoohuli definitely would of been in the mix, regardless.
@teamhawaii: OK, looks like St Louis will be known more for their LBs than their QBs. What's the cure for the other school having choke good LBs? Having choke good OLs. Which school in Open seems to have the best and deepest O-line? We could say that good blocking-backs are effective against LBs, too, but: 1.) Not all schools emphasize the run game, and, 2.) Blocking-backs might not be in every play. OLs, like LBs, are in every play. So again: Anyone know which Open school has the best/deepest O-linemen? That's the first consideration for dealing with St Louis' LBs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm Yes!! That's the way it is now days, competition is tough, especially at a place like St. Louis. I bet at all of the top programs around the country the competition is crazy. Either battle or move to another school/Team. That's the mentality now days, you even see it in college. The crazy thing is with all of the rumors that we all hear about St. louis and Punahou recruiting players, It seems that they're actually losing players LOL!! Seems that Mililani and Campbell are recruiting players. Just look at all of the transfers....that can't be a coincidence and i bet that they don't all live in Mililani or ewa lol. It's all good, i actually like that Mililani and campbell realize that in order to compete you need to have the players. Go out and get um!!
@Dog 96707: It's amazing that public schools are recruiting just as effectively as private schools. And to think that that was the reason the public schools split from the ILH in '69 or '70. You gotta admire public-school coaches who can match private-school coaches in recruiting. Private schools generally have better academics and better facilities, so a public-school coach really has his work cut-out for him. Guess we should tip our hats to Mililani's York. He must be doing SOMETHING right. He's in there going toe-to-toe and slugging it out with private-school St Louis' Cal in the recruiting wars, and he seems to be holding his own. Outstanding. Well, I'm biased, too: I'd rather have Mililani High than St Louis School. Still, I think we can all agree that York IS doing quite well. I mean, look at all the transfers he's getting.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm Yes!! That's the way it is now days, competition is tough, especially at a place like St. Louis. I bet at all of the top programs around the country the competition is crazy. Either battle or move to another school/Team. That's the mentality now days, you even see it in college. The crazy thing is with all of the rumors that we all hear about St. louis and Punahou recruiting players, It seems that they're actually losing players LOL!! Seems that Mililani and Campbell are recruiting players. Just look at all of the transfers....that can't be a coincidence and i bet that they don't all live in Mililani or ewa lol. It's all good, i actually like that Mililani and campbell realize that in order to compete you need to have the players. Go out and get um!!
I remember reading an article on HPW about where the St Francis players will go. I think it was Bubba that said “I live in Kalihi, my neighbor is trying to get me to play with him at Mililani” lol harmless really, but pretty funny.

It is true tho, over the last few years St Louis has lost a bunch of good players. I just hope whatever the reason for them moving on from the Brotherhood, I hope they were able to find happiness.
@genks: That's really generous of you. I mean, you're a St Louis alumnus, yet you're being gracious towards players who are transferring away. Give you credit.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:27 pm
@Dog 96707: It's amazing that public schools are recruiting just as effectively as private schools. And to think that that was the reason the public schools split from the ILH in '69 or '70. You gotta admire public-school coaches who can match private-school coaches in recruiting. Private schools generally have better academics and better facilities, so a public-school coach really has his work cut-out for him. Guess we should tip our hats to Mililani's York. He must be doing SOMETHING right. He's in there going toe-to-toe and slugging it out with private-school St Louis' Cal in the recruiting wars, and he seems to be holding his own. Outstanding. Well, I'm biased, too: I'd rather have Mililani High than St Louis School. Still, I think we can all agree that York IS doing quite well. I mean, look at all the transfers he's getting.
Mililani is by far most recruitable public school in Hawaii. A lot in their favor.

Great academics for a public school, nice campus, nice football stadium, good facilities.

Recently good history of winning, players are going to D1, Rod York coming back every year, competitive schedule (Plays Mainland Competition), Encourages his boys to do 7on7 and Lineman Challenges.

DJ and Campbell are slowing implementing their system like Mililani but not yet. Hopefully he’ll be there to see it pan out.

If only Kahuku can get with the program and evolve with the ages. Vavae Tata was getting them on the right track too before getting let go.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

I shockd dat Iolani no losin playaz. But no shock dat Mills recruitin. Where York wen grad? Iolani. Only St.Lulu recruit mo den dey do!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 pm
Mililani is by far most recruitable public school in Hawaii. A lot in their favor.

Great academics for a public school, nice campus, nice football stadium, good facilities.

Recently good history of winning, players are going to D1, Rod York coming back every year, competitive schedule (Plays Mainland Competition), Encourages his boys to do 7on7 and Lineman Challenges.

DJ and Campbell are slowing implementing their system like Mililani but not yet. Hopefully he’ll be there to see it pan out.

If only Kahuku can get with the program and evolve with the ages. Vavae Tata was getting them on the right track too before getting let go.
@teamhawaii: Well, I'm not so sure that academics draw players to a public school. I mean, surely some public schools have better academics than other public schools, and I would say Mililani is in the top tier of public schools when it comes to academics (joining schools like Kalani, Kaiser, Roosevelt). Still, if a kid's parents want academics, I think they'd send the kid to a private school. "Nice campus"? I'm not too sure how much that counts, or how you would quantify it. For example, I've heard some kids say that Kaimuki High looks "ghetto," but I've walked through the campus several times, and it looks OK to me. Kaimuki High also has an auditorium and a pool, which most schools don't. I don't think Mililani High has an auditorium OR a pool. "Good facilities"? Public schools are underfunded when it comes to building maintenance, so almost all public schools have some buildings or some areas on campus that might be considered in embarrassing condition.
I think what draws football players is, how good the team is. Mililani I'm sure will have a good team this year. They had a good team last year, they have some returnees, they have a lot of transfers coming-in, and their JV was good. It's THOSE things that I think are drawing players. What might be hurting Kahuku is that school's location; it's really kind of far-flung. Also, their team probably won't be as good as Mililani this year. I think those are the only two things that are hurting Kahuku in terms of transfers/recruitment. An interesting thing about Kahuku High is that it serves a heavily Mormon district, and that's why I think some good players transfer from Utah schools, which is a heavily Mormon state. I don't think academics or facilities are holding Kahuku High back.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:11 pm I shockd dat Iolani no losin playaz. But no shock dat Mills recruitin. Where York wen grad? Iolani. Only St.Lulu recruit mo den dey do!
@#1 Kahuku: Yes, York is an Iolani alumnus. However, I think he sees that Look has the coaching position pretty-much locked-down for now, so York probably figures he might as well establish himself at another school, and that's Mililani. The irony is that Mililani is Open, while Iolani is D1. So, while York isn't coaching his alma mater, by coaching Mililani, he's in a higher division. I.e., York might not think it's so bad that he's not coaching his alma mater. In fact, let's say Look were to retire after this season. He's a '78 Iolani alumnus, so he made/makes 59 this year. Would York apply for the position? I'm not so sure, because Iolani is in a lower division.

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:30 pm

@teamhawaii: Well, I'm not so sure that academics draw players to a public school. I mean, surely some public schools have better academics than other public schools, and I would say Mililani is in the top tier of public schools when it comes to academics (joining schools like Kalani, Kaiser, Roosevelt). Still, if a kid's parents want academics, I think they'd send the kid to a private school. "Nice campus"? I'm not too sure how much that counts, or how you would quantify it. For example, I've heard some kids say that Kaimuki High looks "ghetto," but I've walked through the campus several times, and it looks OK to me. Kaimuki High also has an auditorium and a pool, which most schools don't. I don't think Mililani High has an auditorium OR a pool. "Good facilities"? Public schools are underfunded when it comes to building maintenance, so almost all public schools have some buildings or some areas on campus that might be considered in embarrassing condition.
I think what draws football players is, how good the team is. Mililani I'm sure will have a good team this year. They had a good team last year, they have some returnees, they have a lot of transfers coming-in, and their JV was good. It's THOSE things that I think are drawing players. What might be hurting Kahuku is that school's location; it's really kind of far-flung. Also, their team probably won't be as good as Mililani this year. I think those are the only two things that are hurting Kahuku in terms of transfers/recruitment. An interesting thing about Kahuku High is that it serves a heavily Mormon district, and that's why I think some good players transfer from Utah schools, which is a heavily Mormon state. I don't think academics or facilities are holding Kahuku High back.
It's not that deep bro lol

As far as Public Schools and in regards of football, Mililani is a easy choice if you're NOT going to Private school. It's conveniently located too where people don't have to travel to far to attend out of district. I also stated they have a really good football program too.

I never said anything about academics or facilities holding Kahuku back but in regards of facilities sort of. Their Football field needs to be turf. It's sad how they get shun every year, saying that it's in high flood zone area.

What's holding them back is that old school dinosaur mentality. The ground and pound and not developing a passing game. You need to learn how to have a passing game. Some say "Our rugged field is what makes the boys tough". That logic is horrible, they need a proper field, it's 2019. A lot of the passing plays was really hard to watch last year, it was Sauvao throwing bombs and scrambling when the first read wasn't open.

Also, I don't think the community is sold on Sterling Carvalho. He's not proven and he doesn't have a connect with College coaches. Which ultimately leads parents to look for better alternatives for their son to get a scholarship either going private school or playing in the mainland.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:30 pm

It's not that deep bro lol

As far as Public Schools and in regards of football, Mililani is a easy choice if you're NOT going to Private school. It's conveniently located too where people don't have to travel to far to attend out of district. I also stated they have a really good football program too.

I never said anything about academics or facilities holding Kahuku back but in regards of facilities sort of. Their Football field needs to be turf. It's sad how they get shun every year, saying that it's in high flood zone area.

What's holding them back is that old school dinosaur mentality. The ground and pound and not developing a passing game. You need to learn how to have a passing game. Some say "Our rugged field is what makes the boys tough". That logic is horrible, they need a proper field, it's 2019. A lot of the passing plays was really hard to watch last year, it was Sauvao throwing bombs and scrambling when the first read wasn't open.

Also, I don't think the community is sold on Sterling Carvalho. He's not proven and he doesn't have a connect with College coaches. Which ultimately leads parents to look for better alternatives for their son to get a scholarship either going private school or playing in the mainland.
@teamhawaii:

Well, whether a school is "conveniently located" can be subjective. Statistically, Mililani High is well-located because that's where most of Oahu's population growth is happening: West Oahu / Central Oahu. Kahuku High is kind of way out in the boonies; not much population growth there. Having said that, though, Mililani High can be considered far, too. For example, St Louis School gets a lot of its best players from MWH, but MWH is in Kalihi. That's far from Mililani High. To a kid in MWH, Mililani High is far.

Agree about Kahuku High's field; it sucks. There's no rationalizing it, and I agree that it's ridiculous to say that a rugged field makes for rugged players. Football is already a rugged game; you don't need a crappy field to make you "more rugged." But, it is true that Kahuku High is in a flood zone. When it rains hard there, much of the field is under water. Even their gym gets flooded, which has damaged/warped the hardwood floor in the past.

Not sure I agree about the ground game holding Kahuku back. They've beaten pass-oriented schools like St Louis and Punahou in the past. If you have the O-line and RBs to kick-butt in the run game, and if you have an outstanding D-line, LBs, and the secondary to suppress the other school's O, you CAN succeed with the run game. It's all about having the necessary personnel. Kahuku High certainly seems to have the physical size every year, but if you want to succeed (especially in Open) you can't only be big; you have to be GOOD.

I'm neutral about Carvalho. I certainly don't think he's a bad coach, and I think his heart is in the right place. I kind of doubt that parents are looking for other schools because of him.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

Da reason Iolani get one fast team every year iz cuz dey recruit da fastest playaz outta public skooz.

I agree dat we need one betta field. Maybe St. Lulu an Iolani can go fund em!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Really can't fault Kahuku for lousy facilities. It's a DOE budget thing. The flood issue is an excuse. The gym and locker rooms are close to 60 years old. They are smaller then many Div.2 schools enrollment wise. But it is what it is. As far as Way to Early and latest predictions, Campbell took a big fall. 2 to 5th. JL Lavea and Harrison Waa are going back to RR country. These were 2 predicted starters. With Coach Johnsons medical issues, this also presents hardships. Campbell had several 2 way players. In this day and time in the Open, that's a big task. The OIA really needs to tighten the transfer policy from public to public. In the ILH, you can't go from private to private without a sit out year. In fact public to private requires a sit out year. Anyway #1 is Saint Louis, #2. Punahou #3 and 4 will be shared by Kahuku and Mililani while Campbell holds the 5 place. The sneaky Open team will be Kamehameha. Meaning they could jump up quick. All teams have busy schedules and becauses it's the open, key inuries are a big issue at mid/end of season. A lot of RR fans will excited about Coach Reggie Torres coming back and newbie Robbie Toma back on the North Shore. 2 weeks folks. Time to get excited about Oahu prep football and keep the latest chatter going.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm Really can't fault Kahuku for lousy facilities. It's a DOE budget thing. The flood issue is an excuse. The gym and locker rooms are close to 60 years old. They are smaller then many Div.2 schools enrollment wise. But it is what it is. As far as Way to Early and latest predictions, Campbell took a big fall. 2 to 5th. JL Lavea and Harrison Waa are going back to RR country. These were 2 predicted starters. With Coach Johnsons medical issues, this also presents hardships. Campbell had several 2 way players. In this day and time in the Open, that's a big task. The OIA really needs to tighten the transfer policy from public to public. In the ILH, you can't go from private to private without a sit out year. In fact public to private requires a sit out year. Anyway #1 is Saint Louis, #2. Punahou #3 and 4 will be shared by Kahuku and Mililani while Campbell holds the 5 place. The sneaky Open team will be Kamehameha. Meaning they could jump up quick. All teams have busy schedules and becauses it's the open, key inuries are a big issue at mid/end of season. A lot of RR fans will excited about Coach Reggie Torres coming back and newbie Robbie Toma back on the North Shore. 2 weeks folks. Time to get excited about Oahu prep football and keep the latest chatter going.
Kamehameha's best teams have always been when they've surprised people.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 pm Da reason Iolani get one fast team every year iz cuz dey recruit da fastest playaz outta public skooz.

I agree dat we need one betta field. Maybe St. Lulu an Iolani can go fund em!
@#1Kahuku: I'm not so sure that Iolani is usually fast because they recruit speed. I think they're usually fast because they're usually SMALL. Smaller players are usually faster than bigger ones, right? And in regard to Kahuku High's field, I suspect the state will continue to use the "flood zone" excuse until that area's politicians can muster the clout to get the state to provide a new artificial-turf field. Artificial turf isn't quite as vulnerable to flood damage as grass fields, and it looks better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm Really can't fault Kahuku for lousy facilities. It's a DOE budget thing. The flood issue is an excuse. The gym and locker rooms are close to 60 years old. They are smaller then many Div.2 schools enrollment wise. But it is what it is. As far as Way to Early and latest predictions, Campbell took a big fall. 2 to 5th. JL Lavea and Harrison Waa are going back to RR country. These were 2 predicted starters. With Coach Johnsons medical issues, this also presents hardships. Campbell had several 2 way players. In this day and time in the Open, that's a big task. The OIA really needs to tighten the transfer policy from public to public. In the ILH, you can't go from private to private without a sit out year. In fact public to private requires a sit out year. Anyway #1 is Saint Louis, #2. Punahou #3 and 4 will be shared by Kahuku and Mililani while Campbell holds the 5 place. The sneaky Open team will be Kamehameha. Meaning they could jump up quick. All teams have busy schedules and becauses it's the open, key inuries are a big issue at mid/end of season. A lot of RR fans will excited about Coach Reggie Torres coming back and newbie Robbie Toma back on the North Shore. 2 weeks folks. Time to get excited about Oahu prep football and keep the latest chatter going.
@Markeke: Yes, I think a lot of us are getting excited about high-school football again; it's only two weeks away. I wonder what convinced Kahuku High to take Torres back? They should never have let him go in the first place. Good for them, too, that they're getting two players back who had transferred-out. Kamehameha "sneaky"? I don't know why. They're not seeing a flurry of transfers in or out. With them, it's "what you see is what you get." They can't count on anything outstanding coming-up from their JV; their JV got smashed 23-0 by Waianae last year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm
Kamehameha's best teams have always been when they've surprised people.
@gopunahou: The only reason Kamehameha surprises people is that they're so inconsistent. You never seem to know which Kamehameha will show-up at a game. They'll stink-up a stadium one week, and play very well the next.