Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by unpaid »

D-I

1.St.Louis. The Crusaders should roll to another Open title this year. It starts with Jayden DeLaura at QB.He can target Roman Wilson,Koa Nishigaya,and Matt Sykes to throw to.Rod DuPont should anchor the OLine.Now,this is where St.Louis really gets scary...on defense. Stanley McKenzie anchors the Dline.
Get past him.then try to get past Hawaii's best Prep LB Corp of Jordan Botelho,Nick Herbig,and Lawai Brown. Kamoi Latu,Mason Tufaga, and Kaiser Cambracho are waiting for you in the defensive backfield. The Crusaders have twice the number of studs returning of any other D-I team except Campbell....the Sabers barely get past the halfway point to match
the talent St.Louis has coming back. As I see it,Crusaders should run the table to the Open championship this year.

2.Campbell. The Mokia-Atimalala brothers lead the way. Titus is an excellent receiver,and Tamatoa is good at CB,but,both are athletic enough to excel on both sides of the ball.Sky Lactoen emerged as a force at RB last year. The backfield gets another injection of talent in All-Hawaii D-II Ist-team Jonan Aina Chaves who transfers in after St. Francis closed last year.The defense will depend on LB's Jeremiah Tavai,and Tyrese Tafai.

Blaine Hipa showed flashes of good QB play on the varsity after being promoted from JV late last year.His return and continued progress is key for the Sabers in 2019.

3.Punahou. The Puns are led by QB Hugh Brady. Koa Eldridge is a good target to throw to as is SR Moku Dancil-Evans.Vincent Terrell has state class speed at RB. The lines feature Solatoa Moeai on offense and Hiram deFries-Saronitman on defense.Notre Dame commit Alakai Gilman is a top DB.

4.Mililani. 300-pounders Sergio Muasau and Jacob Tuataga open holes for the offense. Who is going to throw to R Maka Hill. Heard some buzz about a Punahou backup coming in,but buzz is just buzz until I see a name on a roster. All-Hawaii honorable mention RB Dayton Sam transfers in from St.Louis.Expect to see Sam get a heavier workload with the Trojans. The defense should be bolstered by Shane Kady,Asher Pilanca,Shaise Quisano,and Fatu Iosefa. Liam McGehee handles the kicking. Dog 96707 reports that several LB's are tranferring in to play for the Trojans this fall.

5.Kahuku. Is Tiger Adolpho going to be the next wunderkind for the Red Raiders? We will see.Micah Solia-Howlett and Marcus Lombrard will lead the OL and make holes for RB Zealand Matagi. The defense begins with Zion Ah-You.Ace Kaufusi and Aaron Fonoimoana-Vaoumu(spelling?) hold down the second level at LB. JL Lavea might be a transfer addition to the LB corps,and Kaonohi Kaniho patrols the defensive backfield.

6.Waipahu. The Marauders are the first second tier team to make the D-I rank. Alfred Failauga is the workhorse RB.Cody Marques is at the controls At QB. DT Kealii Barrett and LB Fiva Tulafale spearhead the defense.

7.Kamehameha. Ezra Evaimalo leads the defense. Big Kuao Kehi'poa(spelling?) is a monster OL.Preston Rezentes is the kicker. Warriors really need some talent QB. Who will step up?

8.Hilo. The Vikings should feature Kyler Aguiar at QB/WR and Lb Kalen White on defense.Per the StarAdvertiser, former Kamehameha Hawaii QB Kilohana Haasenritter is transferring to Hilo. He will be a receiver for the Vikings,and is rated as a 3star player by 247.

9.Iolani. Jonah Chong throwing to big wideout Carter Kamana should be a mismatch that favors Iolani most times.Lanakila Pei is waiting on defense.

10.Kapolei. DE Maceal Afaese is a big presence on defense. The Hurricanes had several guys start at QB last year.Does anyone win it outright for the year in 2019?

St.Louis should win the Open. Campbell,Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku are the next tier. I don't see Kamehameha or Kapolei making noise in Open,while Hilo,Waipahu,and Iolani should be contenders for the D-I Koa trophy.

I don't have scoops on transfers,so if anybody has some info,please share it with us.
Last edited by unpaid on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid:

1. I'm so glad to see that you rank Campbell above Punahou. I would love to see the Sabers beat them. But, is Campbell really that good? Punahou will be loaded on O.

2. You rank Waipahu above Kamehameha? Are you sure? Is Waipahu RB Failauga returning? And, even if he is, are you sure Kamehameha's D can't handle him? Also, isn't Waipahu's QB graduating this month? Doesn't he take the Marauders' pass game with him? And, concerning Kamehameha's QB situation, what about that kid who started as a freshman two seasons ago? Won't he be a junior this coming season? I suspect his experience has seasoned him. Wouldn't he be a fairly decent QB? Might Kamehameha have problems at receiver? This past season, the Warriors had good receivers. How many are graduating this month or next? In any case, I have a hard time seeing Waipahu beating Kamehameha this coming season. Is Waipahu moving-up to Open this coming season?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

A lot of your questions involve transfers,which I don't have the time to track down. I will leave that to informed board members and the StarAdvertiser.. Marques and Failauga were listed as juniors in 2018 for Waipahu so they should be coming back unless they have transferred or enrolled early into college. Some kids,like my little brother, had enough credits to get into college after their junior year.

I thought Fred Salanoa would coach up Kamehameha's QB'S last year,but the Warriors didn't make the playoffs.You notice I didn't mention any Kam receivers so that doesn't look good for them either. I think Waipahu could give Kamehameha trouble if they played this fall.

According to SA's Nick Abramo in a March 29,2019 article,Waipahu is in D-I,not Open for 2019.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm HS Football Fanatic,

A lot of your questions involve transfers,which I don't have the time to track down. I will leave that to informed board members and the StarAdvertiser.. Marques and Failauga were listed as juniors in 2018 for Waipahu so they should be coming back unless they have transferred or enrolled early into college. Some kids,like my little brother, had enough credits to get into college after their junior year.

I thought Fred Salanoa would coach up Kamehameha's QB'S last year,but the Warriors didn't make the playoffs.You notice I didn't mention any Kam receivers so that doesn't look good for them either. I think Waipahu could give Kamehameha trouble if they played this fall.

According to SA's Nick Abramo in a March 29,2019 article,Waipahu is in D-I,not Open for 2019.
@unpaid: Yes, for months, guys have been saying that Campbell will be getting good transfers for the upcoming season, so I'm not surprised that you rank them so high. What was a pleasant surprise, though, is that you rank them above Punahou. I'd rank Punahou right behind St Louis, but here's a situation in which I hope you are right.

I'm still not convinced, though, that Waipahu can beat Kamehameha. For sure, I think they would give the Warriors a good rub, but I still can't see them beating them. I thought Marques was a senior this year. If he's only a junior, then he and Failauga returning would give the Marauders a good QB and a very good RB. Too bad Waipahu won't be moving-up to Open; if they did, we'd see them play Kamehameha, which would settle the issue.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 pm

@unpaid: Yes, for months, guys have been saying that Campbell will be getting good transfers for the upcoming season, so I'm not surprised that you rank them so high. What was a pleasant surprise, though, is that you rank them above Punahou. I'd rank Punahou right behind St Louis, but here's a situation in which I hope you are right.

I'm still not convinced, though, that Waipahu can beat Kamehameha. For sure, I think they would give the Warriors a good rub, but I still can't see them beating them. I thought Marques was a senior this year. If he's only a junior, then he and Failauga returning would give the Marauders a good QB and a very good RB. Too bad Waipahu won't be moving-up to Open; if they did, we'd see them play Kamehameha, which would settle the issue.
I assume that Unpaid is most concerned about Kam’s offense. Waipahu’s defense last year played really tough and they had good size. Kam will probably be strong on defense as usual and struggle on offense as usual. As much as I like to root for Kam to earn respect, I too would not be confident in Kam to beat Waipahu. Unless Kam has the next Saquon Barkley coming in and a good QBs and WRs that we just never heard of before, it’s going to be tough.

I’m not real familiar with Waipahu so I don’t know who they lost, who they return, and who’s up and coming but it would’ve been very interesting to see them in the open division.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Unpaid I noticed you didn’t mention Wynden Hoohuli, ILB. I saw someone on HPW mention another school is trying to convince his parents to transfer him. But if he stays at St Louis, he will be a great part of that defense. We saw flashes from him last year

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 pm D-I

1.St.Louis. The Crusaders should roll to another Open title this year. It starts with Jayden DeLaura at QB.He can target Roman Wilson,Koa Nishigaya,and Matt Sykes to throw to,or hand off to RB Dayton Sam. Rod DuPont should anchor the OLine.Now,this is where St.Louis really gets scary...on defense. Stanley McKenzie anchors the Dline.
Get past him.then try to get past Hawaii's best Prep LB Corp of Jordan Botelho,Nick Herbig,and Lawai Brown. Kamoi Latu,Mason Tufaga, and Kaiser Cambracho are waiting for you in the defensive backfield. The Crusaders have twice the number of studs returning of any other D-I team except Campbell....the Sabers barely get past the halfway point to match
the talent St.Louis has coming back. As I see it,Crusaders should run the table to the Open championship this year.

2.Campbell. The Mokia-Atimalala brothers lead the way. Titus is an excellent receiver,and Tamatoa is good at CB,but,both are athletic enough to excel on both sides of the ball.Sky Lactoen emerged as a force at RB last year. The defense will depend on LB's Jeremiah Tavai,JL Lavea,and Tyrese Tafai.

Blake Hipa showed flashes of good QB play on the varsity after being promoted from JV late last year.His return and continued progress is key for the Sabers in 2019.

3.Punahou. The Puns are led by QB Hugh Brady. Koa Eldridge is a good target to throw to as is SR Moku Dancil-Evans.Vincent Terrell has state class speed at RB. The lines feature Solatoa Moeai on offense and Hiram deFries-Saronitman on defense.

4.Mililani. 300-pounders Sergio Muasau and Jacob Tuataga open holes for the offense. Who is going to throw to R Maka Hill. Heard some buzz about a Punahou backup coming in,but buzz is just buzz until I see a name on a roster. The defense should be bolstered by Shane Kady,Asher Pilanca,Shaise Quisano,and Fatu Iosefa. Liam McGehee handles the kicking.

5.Kahuku. Is Tiger Adolpho going to be the next wunderkind for the Red Raiders? We will see.Micah Solia-Howlett and Marcus Lombrard will lead the OL and make holes for RB Zealand Matagi.Mason Paulo is a standout WR. The defense begins with Zion Ah-You.Ace Kaufusi and Aaron Fonoimoana-Vaoumu(spelling?) hold down the second level at LB,and Kaonohi Kaniho patrols the defensive backfield.

6.Waipahu. The Marauders are the first second tier team to make the D-I rank. Alfred Failauga is the workhorse RB.Cody Marques is at the controls At QB. DT Kealii Barrett and LB Fiva Tulafale spearhead the defense.

7.Kamehameha. Ezra Evaimalo leads the defense. Big Kuao Kehi'poa(spelling?) is a monster OL.Preston Rezentes is the kicker. Warriors really need some talent QB. Who will step up?

8.Hilo. The Vikings should feature Kyler Aguiar at QB/WR and Lb Kalen White on defense.

9.Iolani. Jonah Chong throwing to big wideout Carter Kamana should be a mismatch that favors Iolani most times.Lanakila Pei is waiting on defense.

10.Kapolei. DE Maceal Afaese is a big presence on defense. The Hurricanes had several guys start at QB last year.Does anyone win it outright for the year in 2019?

St.Louis should win the Open. Campbell,Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku are the next tier. I don't see Kamehameha or Kapolei making noise in Open,while Hilo,Waipahu,and Iolani should be contenders for the D-I Koa trophy.

I don't have scoops on transfers,so if anybody has some info,please share it with us.
Don't forget Alaka'i Gilman, who might be the best player of our defense.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

genks,

Wynden Hoohuli certainly has the size colleges are looking for at linebacker. This might be a case where he just needs to develop and move up the depth chart to get more playing time on a stacked roster.

gopunahou,

I was remiss in leaving out Gilman. I have updated the Punahou capsule.Campbell and Punahou are neck and neck in my point system. So close that,barring any transfers, I would have to put the Puns at 2 and Campbell at 3 for the Preseason rank just before the games begin.That said,these two teams probably won't stop St.Louis from getting another Open title this fall.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 pm

I assume that Unpaid is most concerned about Kam’s offense. Waipahu’s defense last year played really tough and they had good size. Kam will probably be strong on defense as usual and struggle on offense as usual. As much as I like to root for Kam to earn respect, I too would not be confident in Kam to beat Waipahu. Unless Kam has the next Saquon Barkley coming in and a good QBs and WRs that we just never heard of before, it’s going to be tough.

I’m not real familiar with Waipahu so I don’t know who they lost, who they return, and who’s up and coming but it would’ve been very interesting to see them in the open division.
@genks
@unpaid

I found out about half an hour ago that Kamehameha's QB from last season, Togiai, is only a junior, so he should be returning. Togiai might not be as good as Waipahu's Marques, but he's decent. Only question is: Will he have decent receivers? But, the same question applies to Marques: Will he have decent receivers? So, I think we can say that Kamehameha will have a "good" QB. Having said that, neither Waipahu nor Kamehameha are traditionally pass-oriented schools. genks, I give you credit for rooting for Kamehameha. If I were a St Louis alumnus, I wouldn't. Kamehameha is a rival.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 pm Unpaid I noticed you didn’t mention Wynden Hoohuli, ILB. I saw someone on HPW mention another school is trying to convince his parents to transfer him. But if he stays at St Louis, he will be a great part of that defense. We saw flashes from him last year
@genks: Holy crap. You guys already have Botelho; let Hoohuli go to another school, as long as it isn't Punahou! :)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:36 am genks,

Wynden Hoohuli certainly has the size colleges are looking for at linebacker. This might be a case where he just needs to develop and move up the depth chart to get more playing time on a stacked roster.

gopunahou,

I was remiss in leaving out Gilman. I have updated the Punahou capsule.Campbell and Punahou are neck and neck in my point system. So close that,barring any transfers, I would have to put the Puns at 2 and Campbell at 3 for the Preseason rank just before the games begin.That said,these two teams probably won't stop St.Louis from getting another Open title this fall.
@unpaid: Barring some kind of Divine intervention, Punahou and Campbell will not stop St Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:36 am genks,

gopunahou,

@unpaid: You say, "barring any transfers." But haven't guys been saying for months that Campbell will get transfers? (I'm looking for reasons to believe that Campbell will beat Punahou. Sorry, gopunahou.)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:54 pm
genks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 pm Unpaid I noticed you didn’t mention Wynden Hoohuli, ILB. I saw someone on HPW mention another school is trying to convince his parents to transfer him. But if he stays at St Louis, he will be a great part of that defense. We saw flashes from him last year
@genks: Holy crap. You guys already have Botelho; let Hoohuli go to another school, as long as it isn't Punahou! :)
Or Iolani. :D
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:30 pm
Or Iolani. :D
@gopunahou: Yeah, but Iolani is D1. I'd think he'd transfer to an Open school. If he wants to go private, seeing as his last name is Hawaiian, I'd think he'd consider Kamehameha. But then you might say, "But Kamehameha sucks. They won't take ILH Open." OK, but is Iolani absolutely certain to take ILH D1? I think Damien would have something to say about that. I don't think Iolani has ILH D1 locked-up.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun May 19, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Hahahaha I think he could be really good. Where ever he ends up he will be a good addition