2019 Baseball/Softball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

2019 Baseball/Softball

Post by Neighbor »

How's the season shaping up? are there any big-time prospects this year like we've had the past few years? Seemingly looked like Iolani was the biggest contender but they have collapsed a bit as of late. Might come down to the neighbor islands again, or should I say Baldwin and Waiakea again.

As for softball, I don't know? Probably another OIA West team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 pm How's the season shaping up? are there any big-time prospects this year like we've had the past few years? Seemingly looked like Iolani was the biggest contender but they have collapsed a bit as of late. Might come down to the neighbor islands again, or should I say Baldwin and Waiakea again.

As for softball, I don't know? Probably another OIA West team.
@Neighbor: In baseball, Baldwin High is my favorite to take it again. As for softball, Campbell High--(you're right, an OIA West school)--looks very good. I mean, they hit the crap out of the ball. Their batting lineup has choke power. You let the Sabers put girls on base with walks or hits, chances are they're going to come around to score.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Koa Eldredge is our best player and Mr. Everything for us.

As for softball, the OIA can take pride in the fact that that's one of the few "OIA sports."
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:23 am Koa Eldredge is our best player and Mr. Everything for us.

As for softball, the OIA can take pride in the fact that that's one of the few "OIA sports."
@gopunahou: In baseball, it's hard to compare Punahou School to Baldwin High because they're in different leagues. This much can be said for the Bears: They're undefeated, and they're ranked #1 in the state. As for Punahou, they did win the regular-season ILH title, and are going to States. Right now the ILH is in the round-robin tourney. In softball, yeah, it looks like the OIA will dominate. Like the Puns' baseball team, the Puns' softball team won the regular-season ILH title, and they, too, are going to States. But, I don't think Punahou School has the pitching or the power to stay with the top OIA schools: Campbell High, Leilehua High, Kaiser High, and Waianae High. I think all four of those schools can beat Punahou School.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:20 pm

@gopunahou: In baseball, it's hard to compare Punahou School to Baldwin High because they're in different leagues. This much can be said for the Bears: They're undefeated, and they're ranked #1 in the state. As for Punahou, they did win the regular-season ILH title, and are going to States. Right now the ILH is in the round-robin tourney. In softball, yeah, it looks like the OIA will dominate. Like the Puns' baseball team, the Puns' softball team won the regular-season ILH title, and they, too, are going to States. But, I don't think Punahou School has the pitching or the power to stay with the top OIA schools: Campbell High, Leilehua High, Kaiser High, and Waianae High. I think all four of those schools can beat Punahou School.
I can't think of another sport where the top teams (in this case, four) are from the OIA. Girls soccer used to be that way.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^Girls soccer is still that way. It was OIA West Campbell in the championship game vs Kamehameha this past season, and Pearl City's Fontes won Star-Advertiser's POY and Scoring Live's Offensive POY. So both team-wise and individually, the OIA is still at or near the top in girls soccer.

Also, boys' and girls wrestling. 4 of the top 10 boys' team finishers at states were OIA teams, and 6 of 10 on the girls' side. And the OIA has been absolutely dominant in boys' and especially girls' judo. Bowling, too. Other sports the OIA has been historically competitive in at the state level are: boys' basketball, boys' golf, boys' and girls air riflery and cheerleading. And let's not forget about football. You may not care about some of these sports and most aren't "high-profile", but they count nonetheless.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

More on-topic, I can't remember the last time Mililani and/or Pearl City didn't made the softball state tourney. And I'd bet there was never a time where both teams failed to make it. Sucks. And I don't know what's going on with Pearl City baseball the past few seasons. There was a time not too long ago when we were perennial contenders in the OIA.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm More on-topic, I can't remember the last time Mililani and/or Pearl City didn't made the softball state tourney. And I'd bet there was never a time where both teams failed to make it. Sucks. And I don't know what's going on with Pearl City baseball the past few seasons. There was a time not too long ago when we were perennial contenders in the OIA.
@bandits1: Yes, it is shocking that both Pearl City and Mililani won't be going to States in softball, especially Mililani. As for baseball, yeah, this may be the worst season Pearl City has ever had. I recall that Pearl City was very decent in baseball when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall them ever being weak in that sport since. I guess it's just "one of those years" for them this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 pm
bandits1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm More on-topic, I can't remember the last time Mililani and/or Pearl City didn't made the softball state tourney. And I'd bet there was never a time where both teams failed to make it. Sucks. And I don't know what's going on with Pearl City baseball the past few seasons. There was a time not too long ago when we were perennial contenders in the OIA.
@bandits1: Yes, it is shocking that both Pearl City and Mililani won't be going to States in softball, especially Mililani. As for baseball, yeah, this may be the worst season Pearl City has ever had. I recall that Pearl City was very decent in baseball when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall them ever being weak in that sport since. I guess it's just "one of those years" for them this year. By the way, they weren't too bad the past few seasons. It's only this season that they're really weak. (Please disregard the post immediately preceding; I have no way to delete it.)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

No disrespect to Iolani, but we are too talented and experienced to lose a game 13-3. Oh well, at least we beat them in softball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm No disrespect to Iolani, but we are too talented and experienced to lose a game 13-3. Oh well, at least we beat them in softball.
@gopunahou: I don't know; Punahou lost to Kamehameha yesterday, 7-0. But, the Puns are going to States. Speaking of Iolani, their boys' volleyball team beat Punahou a few minutes ago, 3-1.

sportsfanbb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sportsfanbb »

Disappointed that Iolani didn't make it to States this year. Seemed to have the talent this year again.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

sportsfanbb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 am Disappointed that Iolani didn't make it to States this year. Seemed to have the talent this year again.
@sportsfanbb: Yeah. Frankly, I'm surprised they're not going. I think they have the most power (hitting) in the state, and decent pitching. They lost a number of close games due to errors and to lapses in base-running. In a few of those close losses, they ran into some very good pitchers. It's all in the rotation. I figure most schools pitched their ace against them because of their power (hitting), so they faced good pitching almost every game. But, their school's softball team is going to States. I don't think they'll take it, though. Not enough pitching, and while they do have some power, the top three OIA schools have even more.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Thought this could have been a year for iolani to bring a state title home. crazy how big they collapsed

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pm Thought this could have been a year for iolani to bring a state title home. crazy how big they collapsed
@Neighbor: Yeah, and the more you think about it, the crazier it becomes. I mean, Iolani School had the most power-hitting in the state, and they had decent pitching. And, three ILH D1 schools are going to States; three. And the Raiders couldn't even place third. So, Iolani alumni have reason to be pissed. Kamehameha Schools is going to States, but their alumni also have reason to be pissed. Yesterday, Kamehameha and St Louis had to finish a game that was called in the bottom of the 3rd on Friday due to rain. The Warriors were up 4-0 at that point, and that's where the game resumed. The Warriors somehow found a way to lose the game, 5-4. It made absolutely no sense. For the game, the Warriors doubled-up the Crusaders on hits, 6-3. The Crusaders committed an awful 5 errors, while the Warriors committed only 2. I don't understand how the Warriors could have allowed the Crusaders to win that game; somebody on that Kamehameha team screwed-up, and there must have been a lot of pissed, disgusted Warrior fans there. If Kamehameha had won, they would have been round-robin champs, and would have played Punahou for the overall ILH D1 title. (The Puns are regular-season champs.) So, Kamehameha alumni have a reason to be pissed, even though the Warriors are going to States.