2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Rds wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm Kamehameha swept the boys' and girls' titles in the ILH, and Moanalua swept the boys' and girls' titles in the OIA. Which school is favored in States? Will it be a "clash of the titans" between those two schools? How do they stack-up against each other? Is a neighbor-island school also in the mix? Isn't Lahainaluna supposed to be tough, especially the girls? (Sorry, I don't follow wrestling as closely as I follow basketball and soccer. Wrestling seems too complicated; there are all those different weight divisions and resultant individual champs. In basketball and soccer, there aren't different weight divisions and individual champs. There's only D1 and D2; just those two categories to deal with. Well, ILH basketball also has a D3. By contrast, doesn't wrestling have something like 15 weight divisions? Too much for me to keep track of. But, what I notice about wrestling is that they have like three mats at States, right? That means there could be three different matches going-on at the same time, so you could be watching three matches simultaneously. In basketball and soccer, you can't watch more than one game at a time. But what I like about those three wrestling mats is that I've noticed that each mat is from a different school. So, you have three different schools represented by the three different mats, and those mats are usually in school colors, and each mat usually has the school's insignia on it somewhere. Therefore you're reminded of each school because you see their mats while you're watching the matches.)
There's actually 6 matches going on @ the same time until the Championship matches then they set up 3 mats with your champion match in the center & placer matches on the sides
@Rds: Insane. So there are six matches going-on at the same time, until the championship matches? That's like watching a 6-ring circus. It must be a very colorful display, though. So, the six mats come from six different schools? And then you have two wrestlers on each mat, and each school of course has different singlets, in school colors and with various designs and/or wording on them. Sounds like stimulus overload to me. But, I guess guys are watching only one or two matches at a time; just the ones they're interested in. And, at each mat you have two sets of coaches sitting on chairs, two coaches each school, right? So, you've got up to twelve wrestlers and 24 coaches on six mats. Must be a noisy affair, too, with each school's coaches yelling instructions and encouragement to that school's wrestler. Insane.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:35 pm
Rds wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm Kamehameha swept the boys' and girls' titles in the ILH, and Moanalua swept the boys' and girls' titles in the OIA. Which school is favored in States? Will it be a "clash of the titans" between those two schools? How do they stack-up against each other? Is a neighbor-island school also in the mix? Isn't Lahainaluna supposed to be tough, especially the girls? (Sorry, I don't follow wrestling as closely as I follow basketball and soccer. Wrestling seems too complicated; there are all those different weight divisions and resultant individual champs. In basketball and soccer, there aren't different weight divisions and individual champs. There's only D1 and D2; just those two categories to deal with. Well, ILH basketball also has a D3. By contrast, doesn't wrestling have something like 15 weight divisions? Too much for me to keep track of. But, what I notice about wrestling is that they have like three mats at States, right? That means there could be three different matches going-on at the same time, so you could be watching three matches simultaneously. In basketball and soccer, you can't watch more than one game at a time. But what I like about those three wrestling mats is that I've noticed that each mat is from a different school. So, you have three different schools represented by the three different mats, and those mats are usually in school colors, and each mat usually has the school's insignia on it somewhere. Therefore you're reminded of each school because you see their mats while you're watching the matches.)
There's actually 6 matches going on @ the same time until the Championship matches then they set up 3 mats with your champion match in the center & placer matches on the sides
@Rds: Insane. So there are six matches going-on at the same time, until the championship matches? That's like watching a 6-ring circus. It must be a very colorful display, though. So, the six mats come from six different schools? And then you have two wrestlers on each mat, and each school of course has different singlets, in school colors and with various designs and/or wording on them. Sounds like stimulus overload to me. But, I guess guys are watching only one or two matches at a time; just the ones they're interested in. And, at each mat you have two sets of coaches sitting on chairs, two coaches each school, right? So, you've got up to twelve wrestlers and 24 coaches on six mats. Must be a noisy affair, too, with each school's coaches yelling instructions and encouragement to that school's wrestler. Insane.
You mean 24 wrestlers & 12 coaches it gets a little hard to keep track of all the matches especially when 2 or 3 wrestlers your supporting are wrestling @ the same time but I'm pretty sure States is what everyone looks forward to even though the # where down this year so a lot of wrestlers that made it to states this year normally wouldn't have made it if the brackets where full

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 am
Rds wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 pm @Rds: You're a wrestling fan too, right? Which school(s) is/are your pick(s) for States? (Boys and girls.)
Kamehameha for the boys
Moanalua or Campbell for the girls
@Rds: Thanks. I'm not really a wrestling fan; all I know is Kamehameha and Moanalua swept their respective league titles, boys' and girls'. I had no idea the Campbell girls were tough.
Campbell girls are tough they have Enriques,Vilapondo,Terukina twins & a few others that where in the finals some won it some lost but @ states is where it really counts & I think they can win the team title

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:05 am @OldManJenkins: Well, wasn't there a lot about wrestling in my post? Anyway, which school(s) are you picking for States? I'm not at all into the individual weight classes, but I'm interested in team results (predictions).
HS Fanatic I am glad to see you contributing! The sports with balls thing is just wrestlers way of saying they suck at most sports, that's why they wrestle. LOL
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rds wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:56 am

Kamehameha for the boys
@Rds: Thanks. I'm not really a wrestling fan; all I know is Kamehameha and Moanalua swept their respective league titles, boys' and girls'. I had no idea the Campbell girls were tough.
Campbell girls are tough they have Enriques,Vilapondo,Terukina twins & a few others that where in the finals some won it some lost but @ states is where it really counts & I think they can win the team title
@Rds: It just occurred to me that there's another sport that's just as insane as wrestling: Track & field. Just like the State wrestling meet, the State track & field meet has about a gazillion schools competing at the same time. In the running events alone, you could have as many as eight runners competing, from just as many schools. Meanwhile, in the area surrounded by the track, you have the field events: Long jump, high jump, triple jump, shotput, discus, etc. What sucks about the track & field meet is that it's outside, so it might be raining, or too hot. Meanwhile the wrestling meet is held in air-conditioned NBC.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rds wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:56 am

Kamehameha for the boys
@Rds: Well, I hope Campbell takes the girls' crown. Moanalua already took the boys' and girls' OIA crown; let some other school take the State girls' crown.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:30 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:05 am @OldManJenkins: Well, wasn't there a lot about wrestling in my post? Anyway, which school(s) are you picking for States? I'm not at all into the individual weight classes, but I'm interested in team results (predictions).
HS Fanatic I am glad to see you contributing! The sports with balls thing is just wrestlers way of saying they suck at most sports, that's why they wrestle. LOL
@OldManJenkins: Well, I understand that the practices/training for wrestling is gruelling. I think the only sport in which practices are just as gruelling, is football. So, if you're good at wrestling, I doubt anyone would fault you for sucking in other sports. Also, wrestling is just as macho as football, though I don't know if girl wrestlers consider themselves macho. When I was in high school back in the mid-'70s, there was no girls' wrestling. Today, seems girls are playing all the same sports as boys.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:08 pm
@OldManJenkins: Well, I understand that the practices/training for wrestling is gruelling. I think the only sport in which practices are just as gruelling, is football. So, if you're good at wrestling, I doubt anyone would fault you for sucking in other sports. Also, wrestling is just as macho as football, though I don't know if girl wrestlers consider themselves macho. When I was in high school back in the mid-'70s, there was no girls' wrestling. Today, seems girls are playing all the same sports as boys.
Football practice can't even compare to wrestling practice that's why you only have a hand full of football players that wrestle & usually wrestling is there 1st sport from what I seen football players that come out to wrestle usually quit after the 1st week because they can't handle the wrestling practices wrestling & football practices not even close

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rds wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:14 am
Football practice can't even compare to wrestling practice that's why you only have a hand full of football players that wrestle & usually wrestling is there 1st sport from what I seen football players that come out to wrestle usually quit after the 1st week because they can't handle the wrestling practices wrestling & football practices not even close
@Rds: Makes you wonder how the girls handle it. And, since we're on the topic, how do you feel about girls taking part in wrestling? As something of a traditionalist, I have some concerns about it. I guess you could say I'm kind of gallant, too.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 pm

@Rds: Makes you wonder how the girls handle it. And, since we're on the topic, how do you feel about girls taking part in wrestling? As something of a traditionalist, I have some concerns about it. I guess you could say I'm kind of gallant, too.
I think it's awesome that girls can compete in wrestling as for training they train just as hard as the boys!! Why would you have any concerns about girls wrestling?there just as tuff as the boys!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rds wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 pm
I think it's awesome that girls can compete in wrestling as for training they train just as hard as the boys!! Why would you have any concerns about girls wrestling?there just as tuff as the boys!!
@Rds: Well, I guess I'm something of an old fuddy-duddy who came of age when gender roles were more rigid. Again, I went to high school in the mid-'70s; things were a little different in high school sports back then.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

The Brackets for States is posted on Hawaii prep world Taam & Tapia will see each other in the Quarter's if they win there first matches

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

State finalist Predictions?
Boys: KSK(5 finalists 3-4 champs)MOA(4 finalists 2-3 champs) seems like a 2 horse race(unless I missed somthing) because of the top guys, but the backside guys are placing threats as well.
106: Cordeiro v Spain
113: Ravida v CHANTHABOUASITH
120: Ravida v Asuncion
126: Porter v Villapando
132: Terukina v Kaawa
138: Hoshino v Ursua
145: Sumiye v Desantos
152: Tapia v Pagurayan
160: Pahio v McCreadie
170: Wolfgramm v Nitahara
182: Pascua v Adinwin
195: Manuel v Kane
220: Llyod v Hanohano
285: Matautia v Leapaga
A lot of chalk, but it seems right most places.

Girls: KSK(5 finalists? 1-2 champs)MOA(1 finalist but a lot of depth)CAM(4 finalist 2 champs)LAH(3 finalists 2-3 champs)
97: Hijiki v Enriquez
102: Funakoshi v Kogachi
107: Villapando v Corral
112: Mangrobang v Terukina
117: Lee v Frank
122: Cooper v Paulino
127: Perez v Miguel
132: Estrella v Realin
138: Respicio v Estrella-Beauchamp
145: Igafo v Wright
155: Antoque v Bartholomew(??)
168: Kamaka v Sotoa