Girls' Water Polo

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Girls' Water Polo

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

On a lark, I'm starting a thread about girls' water polo. On scoringlive, there's a feature about two matches: Pearl City v Leilehua, and Moanalua v Waialua. The matches were at VMAC; I think that's the pool located in Waipahu somewhere (not Waipahu High). I was looking through the images, and what struck me was photo #9 in the Image Gallery. It shows the Charger goalie defending her school's goal against a Mule player. (I think she's the goalie; she's right in front of the net, defending it.) What struck me is the calm, collected look of the Charger goalie. The photo shows her right hand splashing up through the water, ready to bat-away the shot from the Mule player. The photo also shows the Mule player right in front of her, poised to attempt a shot. I thought that was a great action shot; the kind you might find in the sports page of the paper. It's up-close, clear, and kind of dramatic. I don't know how far this thread will go; this might very well be the only post to ever appear on it. I guess I'm starting this thread because of that Charger goalie's expression. It seemed so calm and mellow, given the circumstances. I mean, the Mule player is right in front of her, about to attempt a shot, and the Charger goalie doesn't look fazed or stressed. That's probably a very stupid reason to start a thread, but, whatever. I guess I'm starting the thread to honor that goalie. There might be some water polo guys out there. Who knows? They might come-out of the woodwork. Oh, the Mules beat the Chargers, 13-3.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Girls' Water Polo

Post by Neighbor »

My only experience with water polo was PE in high school. No offense to these girls, but I'd equate PE to some of these schools that participate in the sport and probably have to somehow squeeze in practice time at the local rec center. Good for them still since it's a sport and anything in the water takes a ton of conditioning. The sport is pretty slow especially at the high school level and you can only move so fast in water anyways. Besides just raw talent, I think the difference you see between the top schools and "lower" schools is their alignments and approach. You probably wouldn't see a girl directly in front of the goal like that all alone when watching better teams play. But just look at the scores for some of these games. It's interesting to see "traditional powerhouses" in most other sports get their butt whooped in water polo.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:26 pm My only experience with water polo was PE in high school. No offense to these girls, but I'd equate PE to some of these schools that participate in the sport and probably have to somehow squeeze in practice time at the local rec center. Good for them still since it's a sport and anything in the water takes a ton of conditioning. The sport is pretty slow especially at the high school level and you can only move so fast in water anyways. Besides just raw talent, I think the difference you see between the top schools and "lower" schools is their alignments and approach. You probably wouldn't see a girl directly in front of the goal like that all alone when watching better teams play. But just look at the scores for some of these games. It's interesting to see "traditional powerhouses" in most other sports get their butt whooped in water polo.
@neighbor: Well, usually, a school isn't good in all sports, so yeah, if a school is good in one sport--say, football--it might suck in water polo. Take Mililani High, for example. They've been good in football for the past several years. But, their girls' water polo team sucks. They lost to Kapolei High, 15-2, and to Kahuku High, 13-1. As for Pearl City High, while they lost quite badly to Leilehua High (13-3), they turned-around and kicked Waipahu High's butt, 10-3. So, it's like that. I guess that, like in any sport, you can place schools in several tiers of performance (like D2, D1, and Open, perhaps?) when it comes to girls' water polo. That goes for the ILH, too. Take Iolani School, for example. They've been good in boys' basketball for years. But, their girls' water polo team, well, I don't know if they suck, but they lost to Kamehameha Schools, 10-2, and to Mid-Pac Institute, 6-4. That match against the Owls seemed rather close, so I don't know if we can say the Raiders suck in girls' water polo. But, they are 0-2 right now.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

I'm going to have to jump in on this discussion! My daughter plays for Moanalua's team. The sport is really fun to watch and very physical. I still cant believe how conditioned these girls are, I would die after 1 minute. ILH is leaps above the OIA for water polo, I think its difficult to find players in the oia because of the physicality and endurance needed to play this sport. I'll post some photos later :)
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Scott wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:58 pm I'm going to have to jump in on this discussion! My daughter plays for Moanalua's team. The sport is really fun to watch and very physical. I still cant believe how conditioned these girls are, I would die after 1 minute. ILH is leaps above the OIA for water polo, I think its difficult to find players in the oia because of the physicality and endurance needed to play this sport. I'll post some photos later :)
@Scott: Well, the OIA often holds its own against the ILH in football, and that sport requires even more physicality and endurance. In the OIA, Kahuku is usually strong in water polo. I would love to see any OIA school end Punahou's dominance in the sport. I'd love to see Kahuku or Moanalua beat Punahou someday. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen this year. I'm picking Punahou to win ILH and States again. That's getting really old for me, and I'd bet it's getting old for your daughter, too, even though her school is in the OIA.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Yesterday, Iolani School went ahead and kicked Kamehameha Schools' butt in baseball, 12-6. Kamehameha Schools returned the favor by going ahead and kicking Iolani School's butt in girls' water polo, 11-0, also yesterday. So, each school got a footprint on its butt from the other school, on the same day.