2019 Judo High school season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2019 Judo High school season

Post by ringworm »

Now that wrestling is over lets get the Judo thread going. First tourney is coming up the Mililani invitational, ILH and OIA teams normally participate.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 Judo High school season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ringworm wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:22 pm Now that wrestling is over lets get the Judo thread going. First tourney is coming up the Mililani invitational, ILH and OIA teams normally participate.
@ringworm: Which schools are you picking for OIA and ILH, boys and girls? (I'm assuming the boys and girls have separate teams.)

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:06 pm
ringworm wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:22 pm Now that wrestling is over lets get the Judo thread going. First tourney is coming up the Mililani invitational, ILH and OIA teams normally participate.
@ringworm: Which schools are you picking for OIA and ILH, boys and girls? (I'm assuming the boys and girls have separate teams.)
Ive been out of the loop the last few years but Moanalua wrestling has locked down OIA teams boys and girls, I believe most of the wrestling team will play judo and if that happens then they will probably lock down the tournament including OIA teams, OIA and states. Somebody correct me if Im wrong but I want to say they won states last year boys and girls teams titles. Kapolei boys are always good. Pearl City has been strong on the girls and boys side too but I cant say who they have on the team. Pearl City had a good run dominating in the girls side for many years until Roosevelt took over for a few years. Kamehameha and Punahou have not been threats and usually show up light in players. I cant remember the host Mililani ever winning but I could be wrong. Mililani has a wealth of clubs for Judo maybe they will have a decent showing.

Moanalua, Pearl City and Roosevelt is my guess for girls
Moanalua, Pearl City, possible Kapolei boys

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Mililani invitational March 9th at Mililani high school.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

Moanalua wins States for both boys and girls. Every other team this year is playing for second. They have so many kids, their room cannot fit everyone!

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Mobbin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:39 pm Moanalua wins States for both boys and girls. Every other team this year is playing for second. They have so many kids, their room cannot fit everyone!
Agreed!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ringworm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Mobbin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:39 pm Moanalua wins States for both boys and girls. Every other team this year is playing for second. They have so many kids, their room cannot fit everyone!
Agreed!
@ringworm: I recall there was a time when Pearl City High dominated judo. I guess things have changed.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:09 am
Agreed!
@ringworm: I recall there was a time when Pearl City High dominated judo. I guess things have changed.
Things haven't changed that much. Pearl City took second in States last year for both boys and girls. They should easily be top-5, if not top-3 this year. The best teams on the boys side this year should be Moanalua, Pearl City, Kapolei, and Punahou. Judo is not the same at wrestling at all. For example, KSK's team is dominant at wrestling but they are not good at judo. Last year, KSK boys scored 0 points at States. Another example would be Lahainaluna. They also scored zero points at States last year for judo. Under the rule set currently in place for judo, the two sports are completely different.

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Agreed!
Pearl city is deep in players more then talent but the head coach has recently opened up a Judo club. They have worked with football/wrestling players and made them state champions in the past. I would now expect Pearl City to become even better. The difference with Moanalua is they never had the numbers to match. Their program is excellent and have always had club players. Pearl city would have a few experienced players but what makes them good is they take raw talent and the players thrive there and do well. This year Moanalua will have a lot of quality club players on their team and will do good. Roosevelt comes to mind as well. They had a solid run a few years ago. A bunch of good players and a good program earned them state championships as well. I wonder how they will do this season. Ive been out of it for a while but Pearl City has pulled out upsets in the past many times in matches but overall I think Moanalua takes it agian. What is strange is Mililani, they have a bunch of clubs but never seem to be stand out as a team. Not quite sure about whats happening there, if club players get burned out and dont show up. Id think they would have a good team as well. Kapolei boys and always good. Kalani will have a good team as well. Hopefully Judo will thrive they dont have the same coverage or following as wrestling.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Mobbin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 am

Agreed!
Things haven't changed that much. Pearl City took second in States last year for both boys and girls. They should easily be top-5, if not top-3 this year. The best teams on the boys side this year should be Moanalua, Pearl City, Kapolei, and Punahou. Judo is not the same at wrestling at all. For example, KSK's team is dominant at wrestling but they are not good at judo. Last year, KSK boys scored 0 points at States. Another example would be Lahainaluna. They also scored zero points at States last year for judo. Under the rule set currently in place for judo, the two sports are completely different.
@Mobbin: Man! Kamehameha Schools and Lahainaluna High suck in judo, eh? Zero points each!

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

I got to see some of the matches yesterday. There was 6 schools and 3 mats. Iolani boy's no girls, Campbell, Leilehua, Moanalua, Pearl City, and host Mililani. As expected Moanalua won everything I seen, a dominating showing for both boy's and girl's teams. There was a upset with the Moanalua light weigh vs Mililani. They was 97lbs and I hear Moanalua is a state champion. I didn't recognize to many faces. Iolani boys dominated but I didn't see their dual with Moanalua. Pearl City beat Mililani but the girls side was close. The final match decided it. Mililani girls beat Campbell and Leilehua. My take is Moanalua is far above the teams that showed up. Iolani boys looked to be very good with quality Judo. Pearl City has the numbers again. Mililani boys has a few standouts but the team looks like they're building. The girls team has some quality lightweights and some decent middle weights. Campbell's team is huge and young. They might have something there in the future. I didn't see much of Leilehua, the Corbett girl was there but not playing, congratulations to her 4x state champion in wrestling. Next week is the novice/open tournament at Pearl City. Oh and I forgot power house Pearl City forfeited against Moanalua! That's right in the final round with Moanalua girls on the mat Pearl City pulled out and went home!

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

Why didn't they post anything about Judo this year on Hawaii prep world no updates about what's going on this season not even the brackets for OIA's

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rds wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm Why didn't they post anything about Judo this year on Hawaii prep world no updates about what's going on this season not even the brackets for OIA's
@Rds: There was nothing on scoringlive, either. Guess it's "sport discrimination"; judo simply isn't getting the respect/coverage that some other sports do. Not that I have much to add; I don't know the first thing about judo.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Rds wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm Why didn't they post anything about Judo this year on Hawaii prep world no updates about what's going on this season not even the brackets for OIA's
@Rds: There was nothing on scoringlive, either. Guess it's "sport discrimination"; judo simply isn't getting the respect/coverage that some other sports do. Not that I have much to add; I don't know the first thing about judo.
Scoringlive didn't do anything this year about wrestling either maybe it's true that they want to do away with judo as a high school sport because of all the injuries that's why they stop writing about it

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rds wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Scoringlive didn't do anything this year about wrestling either maybe it's true that they want to do away with judo as a high school sport because of all the injuries that's why they stop writing about it
@Rds: That would be a lame excuse on their part. Football and soccer create more injuries; are they going do-away with those sports?