Girls Soccer 2018-2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
tonnyboy808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Girls Soccer 2018-2019

Post by tonnyboy808 »

Iolani, Kamehameha, and Punahou are all pretty evenly matched this year. Should be an exciting season.

Also Mia Watanabe is not on the roster for the Raiders. Any idea why? With her on the team, Iolani is usually unbeatable in the state tournament. If she's injured, prayers for a speedy recovery.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Girls Soccer 2018-2019

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

tonnyboy808 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 am Iolani, Kamehameha, and Punahou are all pretty evenly matched this year. Should be an exciting season.

Also Mia Watanabe is not on the roster for the Raiders. Any idea why? With her on the team, Iolani is usually unbeatable in the state tournament. If she's injured, prayers for a speedy recovery.
@tonnyboy808: I read either in the Star-Advertiser or on scoringlive a week or two ago, that that Watanabe girl decided not to go out for soccer this year. So, she's not injured; she's just not playing soccer this year.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Of course I'll go with Pearl City. If Fontes plays full-time for the remainder of the season -- and in her senior season it appears she will -- then they have the best player in the state. Fontes has scored a large majority of their goals so far this season, which I guess is expected with her returning with all that national team experience, but it's also a little concerning if she ever misses games or has an off-night. Then again, Pearl City has never lacked multiple capable scorers. Perhaps because Fontes has been so dominant so far that a high-volume 2nd scorer hasn't been needed yet.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:01 pm
tonnyboy808 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 am Iolani, Kamehameha, and Punahou are all pretty evenly matched this year. Should be an exciting season.

@tonnyboy808: I read either in the Star-Advertiser or on scoringlive a week or two ago, that that Watanabe girl decided not to go out for soccer this year. So, she's not injured; she's just not playing soccer this year.
I know this is an old thread, without much activity, but the girls' state soccer tourney is taking place right now. I remember posting the response above. Iolani School suffered a major upset just an hour or so ago, losing to Konawaena High, 2-1. The Raiders were ranked #2 in the state, whereas the Wildcats weren't even ranked. Perhaps that Watanabe girl might have made a difference, had she been on the team. We'll never know.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 pm Of course I'll go with Pearl City. If Fontes plays full-time for the remainder of the season -- and in her senior season it appears she will -- then they have the best player in the state. Fontes has scored a large majority of their goals so far this season, which I guess is expected with her returning with all that national team experience, but it's also a little concerning if she ever misses games or has an off-night. Then again, Pearl City has never lacked multiple capable scorers. Perhaps because Fontes has been so dominant so far that a high-volume 2nd scorer hasn't been needed yet.
@bandits1: Since I posted about Iolani School, I felt that I should respond to your post as well. Don't know if you heard, but unfortunately, Pearl City High lost to Kekaulike High earlier today, 3-2, in the girls' state tourney. The Chargers were ranked #4 in the state, while Na Alii were ranked #10.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Yup, I was "watching" on ScoringLive. PC was without #1 player in the state Fontes, but no excuses. And, IMO, rankings don't matter one bit after the brackets are set and the actual games start, not in any sport.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 pm Yup, I was "watching" on ScoringLive. PC was without #1 player in the state Fontes, but no excuses. And, IMO, rankings don't matter one bit after the brackets are set and the actual games start, not in any sport.
@bandits1: I don't follow soccer that closely, so I didn't know Fontes was that good. But, if she is, then that is an excuse. If your school is missing the top player in the state, you're not going to be the same. I had heard about that Watanabe girl from Iolani School, and they could have used her. And, you may be right about the rankings, because there were a few upsets, both in D1 and D2. Pearl City High's loss is an upset, if you go by the rankings. So is Iolani School's loss.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

C'mooooon, Sabers!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Is this Kamehameha's first state title of the school year?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:39 pm Is this Kamehameha's first state title of the school year?
@gopunahou: Funny you should ask. It's their second. They won the first one, in boys' paddling, just a few hours earlier. And, guess who they beat for the title? That's right; your alma mater.