2018-19 Wrestling season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-19 Wrestling season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

wkrp wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 pm
wkrp wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 pm Any predictions now? Everything is finished, just waiting on the brackets and the tournament to start. Anything change?
Champion predictions:
Girls
97-Enriquez(Cam)102-Fernandez(Bal)107-Mahoe(Kap)112-Villapando(Cam)117-Vivas(KSK)122-Gooman(KSK)127-Estrella(Lah)132-Estrella(Bal)138-Miguel(Bal)/Respicio(KSK)145-Hayase(Lah)155-Makuaole(Wan)/Kamaka(Bal)168-Corbett(Lei)184-Umu(Kea)225-Fotu(Far)/Niutupuiva(Kah)
Boys
106-Stephanelli(Pun)113-Ravida(Bal)/Tomisato(KSK)120-Porter(KSK)126-Terukina(KSK)132-Ursua(Stl)/Borges(KLH)138-Desantos(Lei)145-Wusstig(Moa)152-Pagurayan(Kap)160-Taam(Moa)170-Leong(KLH)182-Huddy(KSK)/Keliihoomalu(Kap)195-Ane(KSK)/Tuulima(Kap)220-Matautia(Pun)285-Tokanang(Bal)/Bollig(KSK)/Atonio(Mck)
Team Champs- Girls: Baldwin or Kamehameha Kapalama, Boys: Kamehameha Kapalama
I think your choices for the individual state champions are pretty consistent with what I would pick as well. I think at 120, it could go to asunscion from Moanalua or Chun from Kaiser as well. Moanalua could possibly make a push for the team title, but a lot of things would have to go their way. One thing going their way already is that I hear Tapia (152) didn't make weight at ILH championships, and Chew (132) placed 5th meaning he didn't qualify for states. That evens up their entries to 12 a piece for those teams. Could end up being a closer tournament on the boys side than we all originally thought.
KSK girls 12 qualified with 12 champs(WOW!)
Lahaina girls 9 qualified with 6 champs
Baldwin girls 9 qualified with 6 champs
Moanalua girls 13 qualified with 3 champs

KSK boys 12 qualified with 8 champs(losing Tapia might turn out to be huge, although they would have won Official's without like 4 champs still)
Lahaina boys 13 qualified with 8 champs
Baldwin boys 13 qualified with 5 champs
Moanalua boys 12 qualified with 3 champs

Sorry, I can't find full BIIF results.
@wkrp: Looks like Kamehameha Schools' boys need to keep their eyes on Lahainaluna High's boys. Both schools had 8 champs, but the Lunas had one more qualifier. So now the question is: Which league is stronger, ILH or MIL? It would appear that if the ILH is stronger, the Warriors have an edge. If the MIL is stronger, the Lunas have an edge.

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

wkrp wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Chile wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 pm

KSK boys 12 qualified with 8 champs(losing Tapia might turn out to be huge, although they would have won Official's without like 4 champs still)

It seems like the ILH tournament was weak. OIA team champs for boys and girls should always be in the hunt for states. In this case, Moanalua boys and girls might not have been thought of as contenders early on, but they sure showed up at OIAs
Weak might not be the right word for it. I think normal for ILH is what it was. Every single girl that entered the tournament(as long as they weren't a second wrestler for their school) qualified for state. That seems odd to say the least. Pretty sure they are the only league where that happened(I don't have the brackets for BIIF, so can't check them). KSK girls are going to have a huge advantage starting though, because they will have 12 top 4 seeded wrestlers.
You know what's weird? Some states don't even hold qualifiers(very few) while others have multiple levels of qualifiers(most states). In the states with no qualifiers they still might have league tournaments(like ILH, OIA, MIL, etc...) but mostly for bragging rights. On a different note, which weight is the most interesting? Last year it was easily 170 for boys and I think 112 for girls. This year where are the most hammers at?

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

I would say it's a toss up between 120 & 132 boys 113 could get a little interesting don't know about the girls side I haven't really followed to much

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

Rds wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 pm I would say it's a toss up between 120 & 132 boys 113 could get a little interesting don't know about the girls side I haven't really followed to much
I agree that 120 is between Asuncion, Porter, and Chun. I know for 132, earlier I said I wasn't sure Borge would be a real contender, but he looked like the real deal during the OIA tournament tech-ing his opponents in both the semis and finals. ILH looks strong at that weight with Ursua and Watanabe, and of course MIL has Dudoit who is a returning state placer.

For the girls, 107 could be interesting between Mahoe and Saribay. Also at 122, Cooper vs. Gooman should be fun. I think the best match might be between Perez (moanalua) and Miguel (baldwin) at 138 though. Both those girls are hammers.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just want to share my picks for States with the board.

106: Stefanelli
113: Ravida
120: Porter
126: Terukina
132: Ursua
138: Gillcoat
145: Wusstig
152: Paguryan
160: Taam
170: Leong
182: Huddy
195: Ane
220: Matautia
285: Tokanang
Team: Kamehameha-Kapalama

Curious to see everyone else's picks.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Mobbin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am Long time lurker, first time poster. Just want to share my picks for States with the board.

@Mobbin: What about your picks for the girls?

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 am
Mobbin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am Long time lurker, first time poster. Just want to share my picks for States with the board.

@Mobbin: What about your picks for the girls?
Sorry, I don't really follow girls wrestling. But I would say Gooman from Kamehameha, Nanea from Lahainaluna, and Corbett from Leileihua are pretty much locks to win their division.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:58 pm
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 pm
I think your choices for the individual state champions are pretty consistent with what I would pick as well. I think at 120, it could go to asunscion from Moanalua or Chun from Kaiser as well. Moanalua could possibly make a push for the team title, but a lot of things would have to go their way. One thing going their way already is that I hear Tapia (152) didn't make weight at ILH championships, and Chew (132) placed 5th meaning he didn't qualify for states. That evens up their entries to 12 a piece for those teams. Could end up being a closer tournament on the boys side than we all originally thought.

@wkrp: Looks like Kamehameha Schools' boys need to keep their eyes on Lahainaluna High's boys. Both schools had 8 champs, but the Lunas had one more qualifier. So now the question is: Which league is stronger, ILH or MIL? It would appear that if the ILH is stronger, the Warriors have an edge. If the MIL is stronger, the Lunas have an edge.
The bigger threat to Kamehameha is Moanalua, not Lahainluna. Lahainaluna will not be getting points from three weights (106, 195, 285) and they have a lot of unproven guys at other weights (145-170). Moanalua has Wusstig and Taam, who are practically locks to make it to the finals. Depending on the brackets and how things shake out, Leileihua and Punahou could also finish higher than Lahainaluna in the team standings.

To answer your other question, the ILH is significantly tougher than the MIL. Look at your stats above, Lahainaluna and Baldwin each qualified 13 boys for States. That's because the rest of their league is soft. The only MIL kids I can see making the podium that aren't from Lahainaluna or Baldwin are Sanchez from Lanai and Mynar from Kamehameha-Maui. I think that the ILH will have four to five teams with a finalist on the boys' side. Every ILH team except Damien will have a state place winner.

Sobbwanson
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Sobbwanson »

I wonder how that girl Alejandra Corral would’ve done at 107 or 112. She beat Alicia Mahoe in a freestyle tournament in the off-season.

Does anyone know what her plan is now that her former Coach Dallas is going to be locked up? About time someone got that guy out of here. Always had an uneasy feeling about him.

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

Mobbin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:58 pm

The bigger threat to Kamehameha is Moanalua, not Lahainluna. Lahainaluna will not be getting points from three weights (106, 195, 285) and they have a lot of unproven guys at other weights (145-170). Moanalua has Wusstig and Taam, who are practically locks to make it to the finals. Depending on the brackets and how things shake out, Leileihua and Punahou could also finish higher than Lahainaluna in the team standings.

To answer your other question, the ILH is significantly tougher than the MIL. Look at your stats above, Lahainaluna and Baldwin each qualified 13 boys for States. That's because the rest of their league is soft. The only MIL kids I can see making the podium that aren't from Lahainaluna or Baldwin are Sanchez from Lanai and Mynar from Kamehameha-Maui. I think that the ILH will have four to five teams with a finalist on the boys' side. Every ILH team except Damien will have a state place winner.
Moanalua is the bigger threat I agree but it’s Kam’s title to lose on the boys and girls. If only there was hard knocks cameras inside that room to see how they’re handling losing tapia and the 132 and posiulai

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

@Chile Kamehameha will be fine. They have the best coaching staff in the state with Hesia, West, Shayden, and Kaiboy. They are still the heavy favorite to win the team title despite losing Nitahara to injury and failing to qualify 152 and 132. The only way I see them losing is if several of their better guys fail to place and all of either Moanalua or Lahainaluna's best guys win individual championships. The difference between Kamehameha and the other boys teams is that 11 of their 12 qualifiers have the potential to win an individual title. Moanalua and Lahainaluna have maybe five guys each that I could see having a chance at winning an individual title.

Their girls team is much more vulnerable...it will be a close call between them, Lahainaluna, Baldwin, and Moanalua. Their only sure thing is Gooman (EDIT: I also included Respicio initially but then saw that she and Nanea are the same weight).
Last edited by Mobbin on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

Sobbwanson wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:40 am I wonder how that girl Alejandra Corral would’ve done at 107 or 112. She beat Alicia Mahoe in a freestyle tournament in the off-season.

Does anyone know what her plan is now that her former Coach Dallas is going to be locked up? About time someone got that guy out of here. Always had an uneasy feeling about him.
What happened to coach Dallas?

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

Yeah, the Warriors will be fine and to show how "tough" the ILH is, here is an example. Chew(KSK 132)took 4th at Official's, but 5th at the ILH Championship(so did not qualify, but about 16 people he outplaced at Official's will). . . They may not have many teams, but the ones they do have are pretty solid.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

wkrp wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm Yeah, the Warriors will be fine and to show how "tough" the ILH is, here is an example. Chew(KSK 132)took 4th at Official's, but 5th at the ILH Championship(so did not qualify, but about 16 people he outplaced at Official's will). . . They may not have many teams, but the ones they do have are pretty solid.
At Officials, KSK 132 placed two spots higher than Borge, who a lot of you guys on here are picking to win States. Based on how HHSAA and the coaches do the brackets, Borge should and likely will be #4 seed and have to wrestle Ursua in the semis. If that's the case, he is not making it to the finals.

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am
wkrp wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm Yeah, the Warriors will be fine and to show how "tough" the ILH is, here is an example. Chew(KSK 132)took 4th at Official's, but 5th at the ILH Championship(so did not qualify, but about 16 people he outplaced at Official's will). . . They may not have many teams, but the ones they do have are pretty solid.
At Officials, KSK 132 placed two spots higher than Borge, who a lot of you guys on here are picking to win States. Based on how HHSAA and the coaches do the brackets, Borge should and likely will be #4 seed and have to wrestle Ursua in the semis. If that's the case, he is not making it to the finals.
I believe Borge was injured in his match with Watanabe and had to pull out of the tournament after aggravating it against Dudoit. He injury defaulted his consi-semi and 5th place matches. So his placement might be a bit disingenuous. That being said, he will probably be seeded 3rd or 4th. He lost to Spain from BIIF in the 5th place fft, Watanabe(which won't enter into it), and Zeff Dudoit who isn't in the weight class anymore. Jesse Dudoit won MIL and placed 4th last year, so he will probably get the 1st or 2nd seed(fighting Ursua for it). Spain the 3 and Borges the 4.