2018-19 Wrestling season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2018-19 Wrestling season

Post by Mobbin »

@HS Football Fanatic - I don't know about me being the Naz of wrestling. I'm just a fan and have a long way to go before I get to that level of knowledge and inside info.

@Wrestler808 - I think Corbett is unathletic because of her footwork, she bends at the waist (not knees) on her level changes, and her physique is not good for someone her age with goals of wrestling at the senior level. My opinion is based on many matches I've watched her wrestle, not just her 2019 finals match. In the end, she will get her chance wrestling in college for her brother. Maybe she will prove me wrong but it's not like I am alone in my opinion. She is criticized so much because she and her family are arrogant and treat everyone else poorly.

@FlyingSquirrel808 - Agree 100% about needing to change the way seeding is done for states. The goal should be seeding the tournament so that the best kids have the best chance of placing at and winning the tournament. An example of what you are saying would be 152 this year. MIL 3rd at 152 came out of weak quad and placed 6th, but MIL 152 1st and 2nd both DNP because they had harder draws. Shouldn't be like that.

@wkrp - Agree with your points about Makana Tapia, Terukina, and KSK. Makana should have stayed at 160, but I guess he wanted to try and avenge his loss in last year's final. I respect that his coach let it be decided in the room, but if there was another team that could have threatened KSK for the team championship, would he have stepped in? What's crazy is that KSK won the team race by over 70 points. If they had Makana at either 152 or 160 and 132 had qualified, they would have won the team race by over 100 points. I don't think they are the greatest team of all time, though. Radford (1974-80), Punahou (2007-12), Iolani (1984-96, & 2000), St. Louis (2001), and KSK (1997-99 & 2005) all had some loaded teams in tougher times. I don't think this year's team is even the best team in the history of KSK, but this could be the start of a decade-long dynasty.

@Chile - Agree that wrestling has gone down in the last decade on the boys side. Almost never are there two studs meeting in the finals like in the past. Most of the good kids are in clubs together so they work it out behind the scenes to wrestle in different weight classes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Mobbin: I don't know; look at your post above. To me, that shows a lot of wrestling acumen. Well, when wrestling season rolls-around next year, we can look to you for, yes, inside info about which schools should win, etc. Also, I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and I remember Radford High kicking everyone's butts back then.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

Mobbin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:08 pm @HS Football Fanatic - I don't know about me being the Naz of wrestling. I'm just a fan and have a long way to go before I get to that level of knowledge and inside info.

@Wrestler808 - I think Corbett is unathletic because of her footwork, she bends at the waist (not knees) on her level changes, and her physique is not good for someone her age with goals of wrestling at the senior level. My opinion is based on many matches I've watched her wrestle, not just her 2019 finals match. In the end, she will get her chance wrestling in college for her brother. Maybe she will prove me wrong but it's not like I am alone in my opinion. She is criticized so much because she and her family are arrogant and treat everyone else poorly.

@FlyingSquirrel808 - Agree 100% about needing to change the way seeding is done for states. The goal should be seeding the tournament so that the best kids have the best chance of placing at and winning the tournament. An example of what you are saying would be 152 this year. MIL 3rd at 152 came out of weak quad and placed 6th, but MIL 152 1st and 2nd both DNP because they had harder draws. Shouldn't be like that.

@wkrp - Agree with your points about Makana Tapia, Terukina, and KSK. Makana should have stayed at 160, but I guess he wanted to try and avenge his loss in last year's final. I respect that his coach let it be decided in the room, but if there was another team that could have threatened KSK for the team championship, would he have stepped in? What's crazy is that KSK won the team race by over 70 points. If they had Makana at either 152 or 160 and 132 had qualified, they would have won the team race by over 100 points. I don't think they are the greatest team of all time, though. Radford (1974-80), Punahou (2007-12), Iolani (1984-96, & 2000), St. Louis (2001), and KSK (1997-99 & 2005) all had some loaded teams in tougher times. I don't think this year's team is even the best team in the history of KSK, but this could be the start of a decade-long dynasty.

@Chile - Agree that wrestling has gone down in the last decade on the boys side. Almost never are there two studs meeting in the finals like in the past. Most of the good kids are in clubs together so they work it out behind the scenes to wrestle in different weight classes.

I don't think the seeding would have made a difference with #1 & #2 not placing because that means they lost their backside matches you can't blame the seeding they probably would have lost their matches anyway look @ Leong last year he had to go through the #2 & #3 seed to get to his match against #1 seed Cooper last year to win his State title to me it doesn't matter where your seeded if you are the best wrestler in that weight class you should still win all your matches

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

Rds wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 pm
Mobbin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:08 pm @HS Football Fanatic - I don't know about me being the Naz of wrestling. I'm just a fan and have a long way to go before I get to that level of knowledge and inside info.

I don't think the seeding would have made a difference with #1 & #2 not placing because that means they lost their backside matches you can't blame the seeding they probably would have lost their matches anyway look @ Leong last year he had to go through the #2 & #3 seed to get to his match against #1 seed Cooper last year to win his State title to me it doesn't matter where your seeded if you are the best wrestler in that weight class you should still win all your matches
I agree that the best wrestler is more than likely going to come out as the champion no matter where he/she is seeded. However, when it comes to the other state placers, seeding definitely matters. If you get placed in the 4th quarter bracket, usually you are placed with (and please nobody take offense) the BIIF champ as the #4 seed and the KIF champ as the #5 seed. If you can beat both of them and make it to the semifinals, you can lose your next three matches on the second day and still place 6th in the state. Whereas you could be OIA #2 and end up with a tough match in the quarters and then a tough match on the back side and be out in the blood round. That happens a lot more than you think.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:18 am
Rds wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 pm

I agree that the best wrestler is more than likely going to come out as the champion no matter where he/she is seeded. However, when it comes to the other state placers, seeding definitely matters. If you get placed in the 4th quarter bracket, usually you are placed with (and please nobody take offense) the BIIF champ as the #4 seed and the KIF champ as the #5 seed. If you can beat both of them and make it to the semifinals, you can lose your next three matches on the second day and still place 6th in the state. Whereas you could be OIA #2 and end up with a tough match in the quarters and then a tough match on the back side and be out in the blood round. That happens a lot more than you think.
I think if a wrestler looses all his/her backside matches they need to go back to the wrestling room & train that much harder to get to level that will get them there because the goal is to be a champion not a state placer & if they loose that much matches they wouldn't win a championship no matter where they are seeded that's why I like the new fish tail format

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

@Rds - If that's your opinion, I hope you were a state wrestling champ. To take top-6 on the boys side, it is a big accomplishment.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

Mobbin wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:33 pm @Rds - If that's your opinion, I hope you were a state wrestling champ. To take top-6 on the boys side, it is a big accomplishment.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm putting down state placers I know that placing @ states is a big accomplishment but all I'm saying is that you shouldn't blame the seeding for not placing if your a good enough wrestler you will place no matter where your seeded

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Rds wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:51 am
Mobbin wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:33 pm @Rds - If that's your opinion, I hope you were a state wrestling champ. To take top-6 on the boys side, it is a big accomplishment.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm putting down state placers I know that placing @ states is a big accomplishment but all I'm saying is that you shouldn't blame the seeding for not placing if your a good enough wrestler you will place no matter where your seeded
Seeding makes a difference when you are #20 :o Some league champions get in unchallenged at the championship, get to states and lose round 1 go backside and go home. Some #2 become state champions but there are times where if the player was in a different quad they may squeak by and place top 6. I dont like how they only seed top 3. Is it because it takes to much time to sort it out? I know league champions get the top 5 the runner up goes across but what about 3 and 4? What if say OIA 4 gets the #1 seed quad but has to fishtail into the bracket but a OIA Alt player gets in cause 2 didnt make weight? That dont seem fair, maybe the Alt places top 6 and the OIA #4 goes out cause of the fishtail. You cant guess the outcome of that player but they got the rubbish deal vs the Alt player. It makes a difference when you dont have top seeding. Yes the league champs deserve the seed most of the time and the bracket is designed so the top 4 make semis but the rest is a crapshoot? There is room for improvement.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

You wrestling guys are amazing. The season's over, but you're still going at it. I don't know the first thing about wrestling, but you guys sound like connoisseurs, complete with the esoteric wrestling jargon. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you are high school wrestling coaches.

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:16 pm You wrestling guys are amazing. The season's over, but you're still going at it. I don't know the first thing about wrestling, but you guys sound like connoisseurs, complete with the esoteric wrestling jargon. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you are high school wrestling coaches.
🤷‍♂️

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ringworm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:24 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:16 pm You wrestling guys are amazing. The season's over, but you're still going at it. I don't know the first thing about wrestling, but you guys sound like connoisseurs, complete with the esoteric wrestling jargon. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you are high school wrestling coaches.
🤷‍♂️
@ringworm: I've never seen that emoji (Is that the right term?) before. Where did you get that?

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:39 pm
🤷‍♂️
@ringworm: I've never seen that emoji (Is that the right term?) before. Where did you get that?
That's the I don't know from my phone keyboard but it looks different in the post. That's not the "what you like scrap" emoji😂

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ringworm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:15 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:39 pm

🤷‍♂️
That's the I don't know from my phone keyboard but it looks different in the post. That's not the "what you like scrap" emoji😂
@ringworm: Well, I've never seen that one, either. But really, you wrestling guys are really into your sport. Over the past six years or so, it's been mostly football and basketball, on this message-board. You guys have added another dimension to the discussion of high school sports here in Hawaii.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

ringworm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Seeding makes a difference when you are #20 :o Some league champions get in unchallenged at the championship, get to states and lose round 1 go backside and go home. Some #2 become state champions but there are times where if the player was in a different quad they may squeak by and place top 6. I dont like how they only seed top 3. Is it because it takes to much time to sort it out? I know league champions get the top 5 the runner up goes across but what about 3 and 4? What if say OIA 4 gets the #1 seed quad but has to fishtail into the bracket but a OIA Alt player gets in cause 2 didnt make weight? That dont seem fair, maybe the Alt places top 6 and the OIA #4 goes out cause of the fishtail. You cant guess the outcome of that player but they got the rubbish deal vs the Alt player. It makes a difference when you dont have top seeding. Yes the league champs deserve the seed most of the time and the bracket is designed so the top 4 make semis but the rest is a crapshoot? There is room for improvement.
A alternet doesn't take over the spot that didn't show for what ever reason they are put on the fish tail side of the bracket but i see what your saying but no matter what someone is always going to be put in a harder position to make it through there bracket that's when it falls on the coaches not fighting for there kids @ the seeding meeting but I also seen kids put in the best position to win & not make it but on a different subject when did they make a rule that you can't shake a refs hand before the match & that you can't pace back & forth I was talking to one of the kids from Kalaheo & asked him why in his semi finals match he didn't shake the refs hand & do his pace before starting his match he told me that one of the refs told him if he tries to shake there hand or pace that they will disqualify from the state tournament

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Rds wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:17 pm
ringworm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:51 pm
A alternet doesn't take over the spot that didn't show for what ever reason they are put on the fish tail side of the bracket but i see what your saying but no matter what someone is always going to be put in a harder position to make it through there bracket that's when it falls on the coaches not fighting for there kids @ the seeding meeting but I also seen kids put in the best position to win & not make it but on a different subject when did they make a rule that you can't shake a refs hand before the match & that you can't pace back & forth I was talking to one of the kids from Kalaheo & asked him why in his semi finals match he didn't shake the refs hand & do his pace before starting his match he told me that one of the refs told him if he tries to shake there hand or pace that they will disqualify from the state tournament
That did happen or so I was told in one of the girls bracket. I asked the girls parents how it was so and they replied top 3 in league was seeded the rest was random. Her coach argued it but they had decided to go random from the start so they wasnt going to change it for her or go back and rework the brackets that was completed. So whats good for one is not good for all! So if youre the champ or runner up maybe 3rd thats great but 4-8th is random so if the 4th placer gets a fishtail and 8th or even 10 gets into the bracket then so be it? This is not how it should be. 10th really didnt even make it to states no offence to that player. To be bracketed over a solid 4th is crazy. Hopefully next season will be different.

Not shaking the refs hand is optional, some kids have respect and its a personal choice. To be warned about being disqualified is crazy! Maybe a short, we dont shake players hands due to___but a threat of disqualification is crazy! We can go on and on about refs and blame them, they make mistakes and Ive seen it happen but we cant have the sport without them. What we need is more younger refs to come out and get training. Some are geting older maybe slower to check pins.