2018-19 Wrestling season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2018-19 Wrestling season

Post by Chile »

wkrp wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 am Not a lot of reactions to the brackets: Let's take a closer look and see if there are any hidden gems...
120 1/4 Porter/Chun(mentioned already)
126 1/4 Terukina/Joy(last loss)
132 1/4 Spain/Watanabe
138 1st round Urabe/Sumiye & same quarter as Gilcoat
145 1/4 Treu/Simao
170 1/4 Adinwin/Pascua
182 1/4 Huddy/Crisostomo
195 1/4 Ane/Fernandez
220 1st round AI/Hanohano (1st and 3rd @ Officials) same 1/4 as Kaililaau
285 Tokanang could have an interesting match first round
285 This bracket might not have the most experienced wrestlers, but it is the most wide open by far. The following wrestlers have a chance to win it: in no particular order - Tokanang, Vole, Bollig, Lombard, Atonio, and Leapaga.

97- 1/4 Omura/Tampos
102- 1/4 Fernandez/Funakoshi
127- 1/4 Estrella/Borengasser
145- 1/4 Hayase/Antoque
184- 1/4 Umu/Vida

Sorry, this is the best I can do. There are a lot of other great matches to be sure, but these are the known names that have early interest.
I wonder how returning runner up Bollig got 3 seed. Stefanelli getting 3 seems odd too.

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

Chile wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 pm
wkrp wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 am Not a lot of reactions to the brackets: Let's take a closer look and see if there are any hidden gems...
120 1/4 Porter/Chun(mentioned already)
126 1/4 Terukina/Joy(last loss)
132 1/4 Spain/Watanabe
138 1st round Urabe/Sumiye & same quarter as Gilcoat
145 1/4 Treu/Simao
170 1/4 Adinwin/Pascua
182 1/4 Huddy/Crisostomo
195 1/4 Ane/Fernandez
220 1st round AI/Hanohano (1st and 3rd @ Officials) same 1/4 as Kaililaau
285 Tokanang could have an interesting match first round
285 This bracket might not have the most experienced wrestlers, but it is the most wide open by far. The following wrestlers have a chance to win it: in no particular order - Tokanang, Vole, Bollig, Lombard, Atonio, and Leapaga.

97- 1/4 Omura/Tampos
102- 1/4 Fernandez/Funakoshi
127- 1/4 Estrella/Borengasser
145- 1/4 Hayase/Antoque
184- 1/4 Umu/Vida

Sorry, this is the best I can do. There are a lot of other great matches to be sure, but these are the known names that have early interest.
I wonder how returning runner up Bollig got 3 seed. Stefanelli getting 3 seems odd too.
Bolig has lost to both Tokanang and Vole. Absolutely no clue on Stefaneli though. He pinned Ravida at Official's and Ravid beat Cordeiro in Maui. Stefaneli should be 1, Ravida 2, and Cordeiro 3. Feel kind of bad for Cordeiro now because he definitely is in a bad place because of whatever strangeness happened at the seeding meeting.

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

Got to hand it to Maui in seeding meetings, they run circles around everyone else.

They get the easiest path to the finals both boys & girls, Not sure how they got OIA #1 & ILH #1 are on the same side of the bracket.. but they did.

coachroach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by coachroach »

You have to be willing to fight for your kids in order for the better seeds. To only allow the league champions to represent at the seeding meeting is an issue.

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

coachroach wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am You have to be willing to fight for your kids in order for the better seeds. To only allow the league champions to represent at the seeding meeting is an issue.
If Punahou believes they have a chance at beating Kamehameha, then they accomplished something good for them. They got the KSK wrestler in the top quarter as a result of the seeding. Not sure if it matters, but maybe they were OK with that placement. . .

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

wkrp wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am
coachroach wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am You have to be willing to fight for your kids in order for the better seeds. To only allow the league champions to represent at the seeding meeting is an issue.
If Punahou believes they have a chance at beating Kamehameha, then they accomplished something good for them. They got the KSK wrestler in the top quarter as a result of the seeding. Not sure if it matters, but maybe they were OK with that placement. . .
@wkrp: In the ILH championships, Kamehameha beat Punahou, 223-168. Could Punahou upset Kamehameha in States?

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

Punahou is an interesting team. 2nd at officials. Maybe the field will help them catch Kamehameha tomorrow

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Chile wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm Punahou is an interesting team. 2nd at officials. Maybe the field will help them catch Kamehameha tomorrow
@Chile: But, doesn't that cut both ways? Wouldn't the field also possibly help keep Punahou down? And what about Moanalua, the OIA champ? I would think the OIA is the league most competitive with the ILH.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

Here are my post-state tournament thoughts...

KSK started the tournament with only 12 boys qualifiers, had a rough tournament (by their standards), and still ran away with the team title by over 70 points.

For those of you complaining that ILH getting 4 qualifiers at every weight was too much, consider that ILH had 4 of the top 10 ten teams in the final standings. Anyone saying the ILH should have less than 4 qualifiers per boys weight is hating. ILH even had a kid take 4th in their league and make the podium, beating the BIIF champ along the way. The real problem is that BIIF gets 4 qualifiers per weight and had only 3 boys medal in the 14 weight classes, with none placing higher than 5th. BIIF's highest placing team was Kealakehe, who took 12th overall which was lower than four ILH schools. Also, Kauai should have to qualify through either the ILH, BIIF, or MIL tournament, rather than getting one guaranteed berth and having that wrestler seeded fifth. Why should Kauai get an automatic berth when Lanai and Molokai kids have to compete in the MIL tournament to qualify? At least Lanai had a state medalist this year compared to Kauai having one kid (Leanio) medal at States ever!

As for individuals, Terukina at 126 was exceptional. He is the best wrestler in Hawaii since Josh Terao. My P4P would probably be: 1. Terukina, 2. Coby Ravida, 3. Leong, 4. Pagurayan, 5. Wusstig, 6. Porter, 7. Ursua, 8. Stefanelli, 9. Desantos, 10. Taam. I think that Terukina could beat any other state champ 160 lbs. and below in a single match, no offense to the other champs. I think that Leong could beat any other state champ 195 lbs. and below. Taam was essentially a 145-pounder winning States at 160. He can't beat his own teammate at 145 and would probably lose to Pagurayan 7 out of 10 times, so he ran to 160 to get an easy gold. The KSK 160 was actually their 152 for most of the year until he lost the wrestle-off to Makana Tapia. Had Makana stayed at 160, Taam would never have been state champ.

For the girls, Gooman, Nanea, and Respicio were dominant. They would be my top-3 P4P. I would probably round out the top-5 girls P4P with Estrella-Beauchamp and Vivas. Not a fan of Corbett and her antics. If you actually watch her wrestle, she is boring and unathletic. But the media has her #1 because of her winning four state titles. The Star-Advertiser needs to get someone to do the P4P list that actually wrestled and understands the sport, rather than a bunch of hacks who just look at accolades.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Mobbin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:33 pm Here are my post-state tournament thoughts...

KSK started the tournament with only 12 boys qualifiers, had a rough tournament (by their standards), and still ran away with the team title by over 70 points.

For those of you complaining that ILH getting 4 qualifiers at every weight was too much, consider that ILH had 4 of the top 10 ten teams in the final standings. Anyone saying the ILH should have less than 4 qualifiers per boys weight is hating. ILH even had a kid take 4th in their league and make the podium, beating the BIIF champ along the way. The real problem is that BIIF gets 4 qualifiers per weight and had only 3 boys medal in the 14 weight classes, with none placing higher than 5th. BIIF's highest placing team was Kealakehe, who took 12th overall which was lower than four ILH schools. Also, Kauai should have to qualify through either the ILH, BIIF, or MIL tournament, rather than getting one guaranteed berth and having that wrestler seeded fifth. Why should Kauai get an automatic berth when Lanai and Molokai kids have to compete in the MIL tournament to qualify? At least Lanai had a state medalist this year compared to Kauai having one kid (Leanio) medal at States ever!

As for individuals, Terukina at 126 was exceptional. He is the best wrestler in Hawaii since Josh Terao. My P4P would probably be: 1. Terukina, 2. Coby Ravida, 3. Leong, 4. Pagurayan, 5. Wusstig, 6. Porter, 7. Ursua, 8. Stefanelli, 9. Desantos, 10. Taam. I think that Terukina could beat any other state champ 160 lbs. and below in a single match, no offense to the other champs. I think that Leong could beat any other state champ 195 lbs. and below. Taam was essentially a 145-pounder winning States at 160. He can't beat his own teammate at 145 and would probably lose to Pagurayan 7 out of 10 times, so he ran to 160 to get an easy gold. The KSK 160 was actually their 152 for most of the year until he lost the wrestle-off to Makana Tapia. Had Makana stayed at 160, Taam would never have been state champ.

For the girls, Gooman, Nanea, and Respicio were dominant. They would be my top-3 P4P. I would probably round out the top-5 girls P4P with Estrella-Beauchamp and Vivas. Not a fan of Corbett and her antics. If you actually watch her wrestle, she is boring and unathletic. But the media has her #1 because of her winning four state titles. The Star-Advertiser needs to get someone to do the P4P list that actually wrestled and understands the sport, rather than a bunch of hacks who just look at accolades.
@Mobbin: Well, on the boys' basketball thread, I guess I was kind of hating on Iolani School for threatening to sweep D1 basketball, and here's Kamehameha Schools sweeping wrestling. I kind of have a soft spot for Kamehameha Schools, and I'm not even sure why. I guess it's because they're one private high school that isn't academically elitist or conceited, and I appreciate that. Anyway, what can we say? The Warriors did in fact sweep the team titles. Their boys and girls wrestled through their matches, and their school came-out on top. What can you do? We can't take the titles away from their school. And, as far as I know, unlike the girls' D1 basketball title game, there were no controversies, no close calls, and the Warriors didn't win only "by a nanosecond" or by a hair. I guess it's only fitting that I also mention here that Iolani School's girls' wrestling team finished tied for last with Kaiser High in the state tourney.

Reading your posts, you're like the Naz of wrestling. You follow high school wrestling closely, and you clearly seem to know the sport well. You mention that you don't like the antics of Leilehua High's Corbett. Meanwhile, on the boys' basketball thread, Naz mentioned how he didn't like the on-court antics of Kailua High's team. Incidentally, something tells me that Kailua High will get their butts kicked by Maryknoll School. I mean, the Surfriders beat Waiakea High by only 4. What's up with that? Imagine what the Spartans will do to the Surfers. Having said that, though, I still want the Surfers to win. I'm not exactly a fan of Maryknoll School.

Wrestler808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Wrestler808 »

Mobbin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:33 pm Here are my post-state tournament thoughts...

Please tell me how you find Corbett unathletic? Espically for her weight class, yes she may not be as fast or as exsplovie as the smaller girl but I think she is one of the most athletic girls to come out of those weight class. She dominated basically every single one of her opponents for the past 3 years. She has beaten everyone at 168 and all of the girls on the podium for 155 too. Yes, her finals match was boring but it seem like she had an off match. She doesn’t usually wrestle that slow if you actually watched her matches.
My top 5 would Nanea Estrella, Ashley Gooman, Kelani Corbett, Paige Respicio, and Alana Vivas.

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

I think your assessment of the ILH getting 4 qualifiers into the state tournament is accurate. The quality of the ILH wrestlers is pretty high. And I do agree if we're going on quality, then they are much more deserving to be in there than 4 from BIIF or 1 from Kauai. However, it just seems crazy that they would get in 4 out 5 or 6 from each weight class from their league tournament. What the state should do is kind of how the college system is where each weight class qualifies a different number of wrestlers from each league to the national tournament. They could base it on how many each weight class actually has competing in their league championship. For example, if the OIA only has 8 in the actual weight class at the OIA tournament, they shouldn't qualify all 8 to states. Also, I think the seeding for states needs to change. ILH 2-4 and OIA 2-6 are often times better wrestlers than the Kauai "Champ" and even sometimes than the BIIF champ, so why not seed them accordingly. Forget this whole "protecting the league champs" thing. Often times placing 3rd or 4th in the OIA gets you put into the quarter bracket with BIIF 1 and Kauai 1, so it becomes a pretty easy road to the semis and guarantees a state placement.

On a separate note, can somebody please explain to me why Tapia even wanted to wrestle off for the 152 spot, when he would have had a cake walk to the finals at 160. And then to top it off doesn't even make the weight at the ILH championships? Crazy.

P4P Boys: 1. Terukina (not close either), 2. Leong, 3. Pagurayan, 4. Ravida, 5. Ursua, 6. Stefanelli, 7. Porter, 8. Wusstig, 9. Matautia, 10. Desantos. Based my order on dominance in matches and difficulty of weight class.

P4P Girls: 1. Estrella (best skillset hands down), 2. Respicio (couldn't believe how easily she handled Miguel in the finals), 3. Gooman, 4. Estrella-Beauchamp, 5. Vivas, 6. Fernandez, 7. Villalpando, 8. Corbett (agree she is a boring counter wrestler, but I will say she rarely makes mistakes), 9. Enriquez, 10. Antoque

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:51 pm

I think your assessment of the ILH getting 4 qualifiers into the state tournament is accurate. The quality of the ILH wrestlers is pretty high. And I do agree if we're going on quality, then they are much more deserving to be in there than 4 from BIIF or 1 from Kauai. However, it just seems crazy that they would get in 4 out 5 or 6 from each weight class from their league tournament. What the state should do is kind of how the college system is where each weight class qualifies a different number of wrestlers from each league to the national tournament. They could base it on how many each weight class actually has competing in their league championship. For example, if the OIA only has 8 in the actual weight class at the OIA tournament, they shouldn't qualify all 8 to states. Also, I think the seeding for states needs to change. ILH 2-4 and OIA 2-6 are often times better wrestlers than the Kauai "Champ" and even sometimes than the BIIF champ, so why not seed them accordingly. Forget this whole "protecting the league champs" thing. Often times placing 3rd or 4th in the OIA gets you put into the quarter bracket with BIIF 1 and Kauai 1, so it becomes a pretty easy road to the semis and guarantees a state placement.

On a separate note, can somebody please explain to me why Tapia even wanted to wrestle off for the 152 spot, when he would have had a cake walk to the finals at 160. And then to top it off doesn't even make the weight at the ILH championships? Crazy.

P4P Boys: 1. Terukina (not close either), 2. Leong, 3. Pagurayan, 4. Ravida, 5. Ursua, 6. Stefanelli, 7. Porter, 8. Wusstig, 9. Matautia, 10. Desantos. Based my order on dominance in matches and difficulty of weight class.

P4P Girls: 1. Estrella (best skillset hands down), 2. Respicio (couldn't believe how easily she handled Miguel in the finals), 3. Gooman, 4. Estrella-Beauchamp, 5. Vivas, 6. Fernandez, 7. Villalpando, 8. Corbett (agree she is a boring counter wrestler, but I will say she rarely makes mistakes), 9. Enriquez, 10. Antoque
A few points based on what I've seen written:
1. Tapia probably went down to answer the challenge that Pagurayan represented. Winning a state championship is a great a accomplishment, but beating one of the best to do so is greater. He lost a close one last year that some would even say was controversial and probably wanted to take a second shot at it.
2. Terukina is the P4P #1 proven over a number of years, but it's hard for me not to put Pagurayan #2. He is the only champ this year to beat multiple other champs in the same season(Wusstig and Taam) and completely dominated his weight class(I know it was weaker than others, but he beat those top guys at other weight classes as well. His State tournament went Pin, Tech, Tech, Pin.
3. Corbett, although not "always" the most exciting wrestler she is incredibly skilled. The finals in my opinion are actually a very good indicator of her skill and athleticism. She did not demonstrate explosiveness, but her mat awareness/IQ was through the rough in a lot of different situations, where her opponent simply could not score. Her ability to mover her hips to the right place at the right time must have been incredibly frustrating to wrestle against.
4. The problem with qualifiers for state is that it's hard to gauge each league fairly/accurately outside of a couple of tournaments. However, if we could then we could have qualifiers for each weight class based on # of ranked wrestlers in that specific league. The other option no one is discussing is simply having a second division to better deal with the elite level schools versus the emerging schools.
5. Kamehameha was definitely the class of the state this year, but when all 12 of the girls that qualify receive a top 4 seed it becomes increasingly easy to place each of them. Only one failed to place, but they were all gifted early round easier opponents based on being a top 4 seed. They earned the title no doubt, but when 12 wrestlers almost all get the the auto 2pts advancement round 1 due to seed that's 24 points right off the bat they didn't have to fight very hard to get and that doesn't even include the fact that if they pinned(11 out of 12 did) that's 22 bonus. They won the tournament by 46.5 and earned 44pts round 1.

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

Girls tournament at states was pretty weak. I can think of 1 Punahou girl and 1 Iolani girl that didn’t even place in the ILH outside of kam. That’s how you get top 3 seeds for all. It wasn’t hard to find for a girl with a tiny bit of talent to place high. Boys tournament was pretty weak too. I’m not sure if either side will get better next year. Why is the talent level so down?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Chile wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:21 pm Girls tournament at states was pretty weak. I can think of 1 Punahou girl and 1 Iolani girl that didn’t even place in the ILH outside of kam. That’s how you get top 3 seeds for all. It wasn’t hard to find for a girl with a tiny bit of talent to place high. Boys tournament was pretty weak too. I’m not sure if either side will get better next year. Why is the talent level so down?
@Chile: Perhaps it's just a cyclical thing; perhaps it's simply a down year in wrestling. I'm impressed by how much interest in the sport is evident on this message-board; there are so many wrestling fans here.