2018-19 Wrestling season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2018-19 Wrestling season

Post by Mobbin »

wkrp wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 am
Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am
wkrp wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm Yeah, the Warriors will be fine and to show how "tough" the ILH is, here is an example. Chew(KSK 132)took 4th at Official's, but 5th at the ILH Championship(so did not qualify, but about 16 people he outplaced at Official's will). . . They may not have many teams, but the ones they do have are pretty solid.
At Officials, KSK 132 placed two spots higher than Borge, who a lot of you guys on here are picking to win States. Based on how HHSAA and the coaches do the brackets, Borge should and likely will be #4 seed and have to wrestle Ursua in the semis. If that's the case, he is not making it to the finals.
I believe Borge was injured in his match with Watanabe and had to pull out of the tournament after aggravating it against Dudoit. He injury defaulted his consi-semi and 5th place matches. So his placement might be a bit disingenuous. That being said, he will probably be seeded 3rd or 4th. He lost to Spain from BIIF in the 5th place fft, Watanabe(which won't enter into it), and Zeff Dudoit who isn't in the weight class anymore. Jesse Dudoit won MIL and placed 4th last year, so he will probably get the 1st or 2nd seed(fighting Ursua for it). Spain the 3 and Borges the 4.
Ursua will the #1 seed, plain and simple. He is the highest returning placer in the weight from last year, won Officials, won ILH, and undefeated. Jesse's accomplishments are as you stated, and he took 6th at this year's Officials at 145. He won't take the #1 seed from Urusua. Spain should be #3 because he won his league and Borge forfeited to him in the 5th place match at Officials. If I were Borge, I would rather be #4 seed than #3 seed anyway.

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

wkrp wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm Yeah, the Warriors will be fine and to show how "tough" the ILH is, here is an example. Chew(KSK 132)took 4th at Official's, but 5th at the ILH Championship(so did not qualify, but about 16 people he outplaced at Official's will). . . They may not have many teams, but the ones they do have are pretty solid.
At Officials, KSK 132 placed two spots higher than Borge, who a lot of you guys on here are picking to win States. Based on how HHSAA and the coaches do the brackets, Borge should and likely will be #4 seed and have to wrestle Ursua in the semis. If that's the case, he is not making it to the finals.
Just to be clear, I'm still picking Ursua to win that weight class. 132 will be a pretty hammer weight class though with all the ILH guys, Borge, Jesse Dudoit, Spain, and probably a few other tough wrestlers. Simply placing at that weight will be a feat in itself.

Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mobbin »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm
Just to be clear, I'm still picking Ursua to win that weight class. 132 will be a pretty hammer weight class though with all the ILH guys, Borge, Jesse Dudoit, Spain, and probably a few other tough wrestlers. Simply placing at that weight will be a feat in itself.
@Flying Squirrel: Did you make your picks for States yet? I'm interested to see who you have.

Also, I'm interested in seeing everyone's P4P lists. I think the SA list is off. It would be nice if they had a writer that actually knew something about wrestling doing the P4P rankings.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 pm

@Flying Squirrel: Did you make your picks for States yet? I'm interested to see who you have.

Also, I'm interested in seeing everyone's P4P lists. I think the SA list is off. It would be nice if they had a writer that actually knew something about wrestling doing the P4P rankings.
My picks are pretty close to yours:
106: Stefanelli
113: Ravida
120: Porter (3 headed race between him, Asuncion, and Chun)
126: Terukina
132: Ursua
138: Desantos (Just to be different, but I think he and Gilcoat will be a good match)
145: Wusstig
152: Paguryan
160: Taam
170: Leong
182: Huddy
195: Ane
220: Matautia
285: Antonio
Team: I think it's Kamehameha's to lose, but Moanalua could give them a run if things fall right.

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

ILH looked like a dual meet between kam and pun with a few iol and stl sprinkled in. Don’t forget about Gooman and Leialoha at 132. Scrappy kids

jusme
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by jusme »

Sobbwanson wrote:
> I wonder how that girl Alejandra Corral would’ve done at 107 or 112. She
> beat Alicia Mahoe in a freestyle tournament in the off-season.
>
>

Yes, Alejandra Corral did beat Allicia Māhoe once, by tech, in Allicia’s first ever freestyle match. But when they went up against each other for the Hawai`i State Freestyle Championship in the summer, a few months later, the outcome was different.

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 pm

I think the P4P needs to Rank Porter higher then # 10 he definitely should be ranked higher then Desantos & Tamm & in my opinion there is no way Tamm should be @ #5 or even on the P4P when he's running away from Pagurayan & trying to take the easier rout to a championship the P4P is supposed to be the best of the best & the best don't run away from a challenge

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rds »

Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 am
wkrp wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 am

I believe Borge was injured in his match with Watanabe and had to pull out of the tournament after aggravating it against Dudoit. He injury defaulted his consi-semi and 5th place matches. So his placement might be a bit disingenuous. That being said, he will probably be seeded 3rd or 4th. He lost to Spain from BIIF in the 5th place fft, Watanabe(which won't enter into it), and Zeff Dudoit who isn't in the weight class anymore. Jesse Dudoit won MIL and placed 4th last year, so he will probably get the 1st or 2nd seed(fighting Ursua for it). Spain the 3 and Borges the 4.
Ursua will the #1 seed, plain and simple. He is the highest returning placer in the weight from last year, won Officials, won ILH, and undefeated. Jesse's accomplishments are as you stated, and he took 6th at this year's Officials at 145. He won't take the #1 seed from Urusua. Spain should be #3 because he won his league and Borge forfeited to him in the 5th place match at Officials. If I were Borge, I would rather be #4 seed than #3 seed anyway.
Borge forfeit his match because he reinjured his ankle in the match with Watanabe wich he should have won but lost because of bad officiating Borge look like he was healthy @ OIA's & I think he'll have a good shot @ making the finals

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

Anybody know when the brackets supposed to come out

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Chile wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34 pm Anybody know when the brackets supposed to come out
Should be later today.
P4P top 5
1. Terukina(proven to be here)
2. Pagurayan(beaten multiple title contenders this year including another champ)
3. Leong(been a force this year)
4. Ravida(continued excellence from last year)
5. Wusstig(only blemish to another top 5 guy)
Girls
1. Corbett
2. Estrella (LAH)
3. Gooman
In some order...
Fotu
Saribay
Miguel

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

Where can we find the brackets?

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

Chile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:50 pm Where can we find the brackets?
Still not out yet.

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

Chile
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chile »

Brackets gmfu. Quarters gonna be lit. 120 porter and Chun gonna be lit. 152 not so much

wkrp
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wkrp »

Not a lot of reactions to the brackets: Let's take a closer look and see if there are any hidden gems...
120 1/4 Porter/Chun(mentioned already)
126 1/4 Terukina/Joy(last loss)
132 1/4 Spain/Watanabe
138 1st round Urabe/Sumiye & same quarter as Gilcoat
145 1/4 Treu/Simao
170 1/4 Adinwin/Pascua
182 1/4 Huddy/Crisostomo
195 1/4 Ane/Fernandez
220 1st round AI/Hanohano (1st and 3rd @ Officials) same 1/4 as Kaililaau
285 Tokanang could have an interesting match first round
285 This bracket might not have the most experienced wrestlers, but it is the most wide open by far. The following wrestlers have a chance to win it: in no particular order - Tokanang, Vole, Bollig, Lombard, Atonio, and Leapaga.

97- 1/4 Omura/Tampos
102- 1/4 Fernandez/Funakoshi
127- 1/4 Estrella/Borengasser
145- 1/4 Hayase/Antoque
184- 1/4 Umu/Vida

Sorry, this is the best I can do. There are a lot of other great matches to be sure, but these are the known names that have early interest.