2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

I think there is only ONE answer to this conundrum we've been talking about: END classification in BOTH football AND basketball. For basketball, there's no health-and-safety issue. For football there is, of course. Then, if a school feels it doesn't have enough players, and/or its players are too small, then forfeit the game. I'm tired of the same schools taking State POY honors. I want to see weaker schools have a chance. I would like to see us go back to the way things were when I was in high school, the mid-'70s. No such thing as classification. "Weak" schools took-on "strong" schools head-on, every year. Some years, the "weak" schools were competitive. But, when the season began, each and every school was in the hunt against each other. "David" could--and did--take on "Goliath" every year. Sometimes, "David" won.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Enough about last season already. Let's start talking about next season. I'll get the ball rolling by saying I heard Kordell Ng will be playing at Punahou for his senior year. Are they the front runners or is Maryknoll still top dog since they' are the defending champions?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 pm Enough about last season already. Let's start talking about next season. I'll get the ball rolling by saying I heard Kordell Ng will be playing at Punahou for his senior year. Are they the front runners or is Maryknoll still top dog since they' are the defending champions?
Before I go crowning anyone in the ILH the favorites, I like to wait and see who Akana has at Kahuku first before making predictions. But remember, Moanalua returns guys and Damien (finally) moves up. So I wouldn't be so quick to just hand Tunahou or Maryknoll the top spots yet.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Hooper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 pm Enough about last season already. Let's start talking about next season. I'll get the ball rolling by saying I heard Kordell Ng will be playing at Punahou for his senior year. Are they the front runners or is Maryknoll still top dog since they' are the defending champions?
Before I go crowning anyone in the ILH the favorites, I like to wait and see who Akana has at Kahuku first before making predictions. But remember, Moanalua returns guys and Damien (finally) moves up. So I wouldn't be so quick to just hand Tunahou or Maryknoll the top spots yet.
@Naz: I hope you're right. Kahuku High, Moanalua High, and Damien School are schools I would not mind seeing taking it all. Maryknoll School, I'm kind of ambivalent about; I guess I neither like nor dislike them. But I do not want Punahou School taking it. Please. If Hooper is right about Ng transferring to that school, I consider that to be very bad news. (Sorry, gopunahou.) That would be part of the fallout from St Francis School closing. At this point, that seems to be good news only for Punahou alumni. Too bad it's so darned hard to keep a private high school running. I mean, St Francis School has been around for many decades; it's almost surreal that they're closing. I think that sucks. Granted, they were only a girls' school for most of those decades, but they've also had boys for what, 10 or 15 years now? It's like, how hard does it have to get to keep a private high school open?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Well, well, fellow hawaii prep aficionados. It looks like the USA Today HSS all-state teams were released yesterday. If you didn't know, these are the most laughable of all the basketball awards handed out every year and for good reason...

Here is what they wrote about Ng, who is their POY...

"Ng averaged 24.4 points, four rebounds and three assists per game this past season to help lead St. Francis to a FOURTH-PLACE FINISH IN THE DIVISION 1 STATE TOURNAMENT. For his efforts, Ng captured his state’s second straight Gatorade Player of the Year award."

Anyone see anything strange about that write-up? And guess what else this clown show of a publication did. They left off Makoto Kamata, ILH League MVP and D1 State Tournament MVP, from either team. Two Punahou kids were selected over Makata. He didn't even make all-state second team. This publication is awful and I don't know what they use to base their selection off of.

Here's the website if anyone is interested in this atrocity.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2018-19-al ... tball-team

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:16 pm Well, well, fellow hawaii prep aficionados. It looks like the USA Today HSS all-state teams were released yesterday. If you didn't know, these are the most laughable of all the basketball awards handed out every year and for good reason...

Here is what they wrote about Ng, who is their POY...

"Ng averaged 24.4 points, four rebounds and three assists per game this past season to help lead St. Francis to a FOURTH-PLACE FINISH IN THE DIVISION 1 STATE TOURNAMENT. For his efforts, Ng captured his state’s second straight Gatorade Player of the Year award."

Anyone see anything strange about that write-up? And guess what else this clown show of a publication did. They left off Makoto Kamata, ILH League MVP and D1 State Tournament MVP, from either team. Two Punahou kids were selected over Makata. He didn't even make all-state second team. This publication is awful and I don't know what they use to base their selection off of.

Here's the website if anyone is interested in this atrocity.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2018-19-al ... tball-team
@Naz: Well, we know how you feel about Ng. But, I guess what I find kind of amazing is that two Punahou School players were selected over Kamata. That is surprising. After all, both Punahou School and Maryknoll School were D1, and Kamata was ILH D1 MVP, and the Spartans beat the Puns for the D1 state title. Yeah, I agree that Kamata was ripped-off.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm
@Naz: Well, we know how you feel about Ng. But, I guess what I find kind of amazing is that two Punahou School players were selected over Kamata. That is surprising. After all, both Punahou School and Maryknoll School were D1, and Kamata was ILH D1 MVP, and the Spartans beat the Puns for the D1 state title. Yeah, I agree that Kamata was ripped-off.
You don't find it amazing that they wrote absolute misinformation about Ng being in the state tournament, though? This publication obviously doesn't do their research when they select players. Kamata, who we said was ILH MVP and who was actually in the state tournament and the MVP of said tournament was beat out by 10 other kids in this state. USA Today HSS is absolutely oblivious to who should even be on these teams. I just can't help but see how clueless these selections are year after year. This is the worst though in my opinion.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:14 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm
You don't find it amazing that they wrote absolute misinformation about Ng being in the state tournament, though? This publication obviously doesn't do their research when they select players. Kamata, who we said was ILH MVP and who was actually in the state tournament and the MVP of said tournament was beat out by 10 other kids in this state. USA Today HSS is absolutely oblivious to who should even be on these teams. I just can't help but see how clueless these selections are year after year. This is the worst though in my opinion.
@Naz: Well, to be honest with you, I think there was a "sympathy factor" at work for me. I've pretty much always liked St Francis School, even back to when it was only a girls' school. And, now that it's closing, I guess that kind of made me feel sympathy for them, in addition. Plus, my feelings about Maryknoll School aren't as good. So, yeah, speaking dispassionately, you have a point that maybe USA Today HSS sang Ng's praises more than he deserved. But, I'll tell you what: If Hooper is right that Ng will play for Punahou School next year, ALL my support/sympathy for Ng DISAPPEARS. ALL of it.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

HS Football Fanatic: I agree that this list seems a bit random. More surprising than two Punahou players being higher than Kamata is the fact that a Farrington player made it (the Govs were in Division 2).

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 pm HS Football Fanatic: I agree that this list seems a bit random. More surprising than two Punahou players being higher than Kamata is the fact that a Farrington player made it (the Govs were in Division 2).
That's another thing. Farrington didn't even win the D2 championship. There are zero Damien players named on either team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:12 pm
Hooper wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 pm HS Football Fanatic: I agree that this list seems a bit random. More surprising than two Punahou players being higher than Kamata is the fact that a Farrington player made it (the Govs were in Division 2).
That's another thing. Farrington didn't even win the D2 championship. There are zero Damien players named on either team.
@Naz: I guess that is unusual, as Damien blitzed Farrington for the D2 title.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:31 pm
@Naz: I guess that is unusual, as Damien blitzed Farrington for the D2 title.
It was clear they did absolutely little to no research on what happened in boy's basketball this past season. I saw in another state that a team that went 29-1 with their only loss being in the state title game of the highest competition level of that state and not one person on that 29-1 team was named to either first or second team.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Well regardless of what we think of the POY selections and whatever "offers" there are out there, looks like Kameron Ng is gonna try to play for the home team

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm Well regardless of what we think of the POY selections and whatever "offers" there are out there, looks like Kameron Ng is gonna try to play for the home team
@Neighbor: OK, there are two Ng brothers, right? Isn't Kameron the one who's gonna play for Punahou School? Why is that his "home team"? He's only a junior this year, right? Punahou School is the last school I want him to play for next year. (Sorry, gopunahou.)

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm Well regardless of what we think of the POY selections and whatever "offers" there are out there, looks like Kameron Ng is gonna try to play for the home team
We still don't know if this is a walk-on "offer" or an actual scholarship. If it is a full-fledged scholarship, I think it was a bad move for UH. They have Buggs at the point, the Madut kid they just signed can also run point if necessary, Villa comes back from his mission, and they offered another 2020 pg. I really hope this is a walk-on offer. But that would be kind of shame if it turns out to be one because who would have taken a walk-on offer over bonfine D1 offers which the media reported he had many of.
Last edited by Naz on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.