2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:09 pm
Neighbor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm Well regardless of what we think of the POY selections and whatever "offers" there are out there, looks like Kameron Ng is gonna try to play for the home team
We still don't know if this is a walk-on "offer" or an actual scholarship. If it is a full-fledged scholarship, I think it was a bad move for UH. They have Buggs at the point, the Madut kid they just signed can also run point if necessary, Villa comes back from his mission, and they offered another 2020 pg. I really hope this is a walk-on offer.
@Naz: Oh, OK. Kameron is a senior. In that case, YES! GO BOWS! My alma mater! Thanks, Kameron.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 pm
@Naz: Oh, OK. Kameron is a senior. In that case, YES! GO BOWS! My alma mater! Thanks, Kameron.
You think Ganot lets him shoot 25-30 shots a game like he's used to?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

It was confirmed that he's joining as a preferred walk-on. What happened to all those other D1 offers?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 pm
@Naz: Oh, OK. Kameron is a senior. In that case, YES! GO BOWS! My alma mater! Thanks, Kameron.
You think Ganot lets him shoot 25-30 shots a game like he's used to?
@Naz: Most likely not, but that's something that Ng will just have to get used to.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:30 pm It was confirmed that he's joining as a preferred walk-on. What happened to all those other D1 offers?
@Naz: I'm glad that Ng flipped-off all those other D1 offers. GO BOWS!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:52 pm
@Naz: I'm glad that Ng flipped-off all those other D1 offers. GO BOWS!
Easy to flip off offers when they aren't there to begin with. People keep comparing Ng to Stepteau but that is not an accurate comparison at all. Ng doesn't have a floater like Brocke and never had to facilitate an offense other than making sure his teammates got out of his way so he could iso. What made him special to stat watchers was that he put up points while playing the whole game cuz his dad was on the bench and he wasn't coming out. Is that the environment he'll get at UH?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:52 pm
@Naz: I'm glad that Ng flipped-off all those other D1 offers. GO BOWS!
Easy to flip off offers when they aren't there to begin with. People keep comparing Ng to Stepteau but that is not an accurate comparison at all. Ng doesn't have a floater like Brocke and never had to facilitate an offense other than making sure his teammates got out of his way so he could iso. What made him special to stat watchers was that he put up points while playing the whole game cuz his dad was on the bench and he wasn't coming out. Is that the environment he'll get at UH?
@Naz: Again, that's the challenge that Ng will have to deal with. But that's the same challenge he'd face at any D1 college. For me, the best thing is that he picked UH.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:07 pm
@Naz: Again, that's the challenge that Ng will have to deal with. But that's the same challenge he'd face at any D1 college. For me, the best thing is that he picked UH.
No, the challenge is that he is only 5'9". He only averaged 3 assists in his senior year. That's supposed to increase in college playing against bigger, better defenders?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3258
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

St. Louis hired Dan Hale as the latest successful coach to try and make it work over there.

One thing St. Louis fans should like about this hire is history: the last time SLS hired a former Punahou great (Darryl Gabriel), they won several ILH titles and rarely missed the state tournament in the '90s.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:07 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:07 pm
@Naz: Again, that's the challenge that Ng will have to deal with. But that's the same challenge he'd face at any D1 college. For me, the best thing is that he picked UH.
No, the challenge is that he is only 5'9". He only averaged 3 assists in his senior year. That's supposed to increase in college playing against bigger, better defenders?
@Naz: Again, Ng would face the same challenge no matter which D1 college he plays for. For example, what if he chose to play for UH's basketball rival, Long Beach State? He would still be only 5'9" there. He still will have averaged 3 assists in his senior year in high school. He still will be facing bigger, better defenders while in college. What's the difference? The way I see it, let him face all those challenges as a Rainbow Warrior.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 am St. Louis hired Dan Hale as the latest successful coach to try and make it work over there.

One thing St. Louis fans should like about this hire is history: the last time SLS hired a former Punahou great (Darryl Gabriel), they won several ILH titles and rarely missed the state tournament in the '90s.
@gopunahou: Hey, I remember Hale, Punahou '81. Indeed, he was a Punahou School great, no question about it. Like, I'm old enough to remember. Interesting that a Punahou alumnus would help-out St Louis School. Like, those two schools are rivals. Makes you wonder how Hale will feel when the Crusaders play the Puns. He'd be coaching against the school he graduated from, and played for. Might feel awkward and surreal for him.
I think St Louis School should be given credit for being open-minded enough to hire someone from a rival school.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3258
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:13 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 am St. Louis hired Dan Hale as the latest successful coach to try and make it work over there.

One thing St. Louis fans should like about this hire is history: the last time SLS hired a former Punahou great (Darryl Gabriel), they won several ILH titles and rarely missed the state tournament in the '90s.
@gopunahou: Hey, I remember Hale, Punahou '81. Indeed, he was a Punahou School great, no question about it. Like, I'm old enough to remember. Interesting that a Punahou alumnus would help-out St Louis School. Like, those two schools are rivals. Makes you wonder how Hale will feel when the Crusaders play the Puns. He'd be coaching against the school he graduated from, and played for. Might feel awkward and surreal for him.
He’ll likely feel the same way Darryl Gabriel did when he coached at St. Louis and later Kamehameha. Question is: can he win like Gabriel did when he was at St. Louis?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:13 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 am St. Louis hired Dan Hale as the latest successful coach to try and make it work over there.

One thing St. Louis fans should like about this hire is history: the last time SLS hired a former Punahou great (Darryl Gabriel), they won several ILH titles and rarely missed the state tournament in the '90s.
@gopunahou: Hey, I remember Hale, Punahou '81. Indeed, he was a Punahou School great, no question about it. Like, I'm old enough to remember. Interesting that a Punahou alumnus would help-out St Louis School. Like, those two schools are rivals. Makes you wonder how Hale will feel when the Crusaders play the Puns. He'd be coaching against the school he graduated from, and played for. Might feel awkward and surreal for him.
He’ll likely feel the same way Darryl Gabriel did when he coached at St. Louis and later Kamehameha. Question is: can he win like Gabriel did when he was at St. Louis?
@gopunahou: You know, that's exactly what I was thinking. As you can see, I edited my last post to add the last sentence (that was before I saw this post that you just made), and I was thinking about adding that very same comment, too. So, we know Hale was an outstanding player, but how is he as a coach? Does he have coaching experience?

User avatar
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm
Location: Hawai'i

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Neighbor »

You guys give too much stock into alma maters. I get it to some extent, but this is Hawaii. Everyone sees each other all the time and it's not too intense at the level like say in Texas or California. It's just about helping out the kids wherever you can.

As for Hale, it seems his resume stacks up both here and in Virginia. As of late though, it seems St Louis issue and maybe Kamehameha too is being able to get pure basketball players and not just multi-sport athletes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 pm You guys give too much stock into alma maters. I get it to some extent, but this is Hawaii. Everyone sees each other all the time and it's not too intense at the level like say in Texas or California. It's just about helping out the kids wherever you can.

As for Hale, it seems his resume stacks up both here and in Virginia. As of late though, it seems St Louis issue and maybe Kamehameha too is being able to get pure basketball players and not just multi-sport athletes.
@Neighbor: I'm probably the one most guilty of putting too much stock in alma maters. But here's the thing: I think what it boils down to is that Hawaii simply isn't a basketball state. We're a football state, for sure, but not a basketball state. Even UH, they've had decent men's basketball teams, but not outstanding on a national scale. And even then, most of UH's basketball players are from out of state. Guys who are true basketball players are simply hard to find in Hawaii high schools; we have them only once in a blue moon. You mention St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools as having football players wearing basketball jerseys, but this year that was actually more true of Punahou School, if you look at their starting lineup.

If Hawaii isn't a basketball state, I guess that is what it is. I can live with it, but you still want your high school alma mater to be league champ and state champ, in whichever division. What else can you do? Schools have the players they have. Nonetheless, one school has to be league champ (whichever division), and one school has to be state champ (whichever division). For any given guy, he's thinking that it might as well be his alma mater, right?

Post Reply