2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 pm There actually was a time when St. Louis ruled in hoops.The Crusaders had a 60+ game win streak extending through three seasons when I was a middle schooler in the mid-1960's.Jim Nicholson and Howie Dunnam led the charge. They have more than football to hang their hat on.
They also had some pretty good teams in the '90s, making the state tournament maybe 7 times between 1993 and 2001 and winning 3 ILH titles. Had Timmy Chang played his senior year, it would've highly increased their chances of winning the 2000 state title (and becoming the only SLS team to win a state championship/prep bowl in the same year as a basketball state title). Timmy Chang could shoot.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 pm There actually was a time when St. Louis ruled in hoops.The Crusaders had a 60+ game win streak extending through three seasons when I was a middle schooler in the mid-1960's.Jim Nicholson and Howie Dunnam led the charge. They have more than football to hang their hat on.
@unpaid: Well, that was way back in the mid-'60s. For many guys, that's not even on their radar screen. As for me, I was in middle school in the early-'70s. However, I had heard of Nicholson. He want on to play pro football, forgot the team. Might have been the Chiefs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:32 pm
They also had some pretty good teams in the '90s, making the state tournament maybe 7 times between 1993 and 2001 and winning 3 ILH titles. Had Timmy Chang played his senior year, it would've highly increased their chances of winning the 2000 state title (and becoming the only SLS team to win a state championship/prep bowl in the same year as a basketball state title). Timmy Chang could shoot.
@gopunahou: Yeah, I remember St Louis played Kalaheo for the '95 state title. Kalaheo won, and I was glad for that. Was pulling for them 100%; didn't want St Louis to take it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Did you guys hear about that wild 1-AA game last night? Kamehameha beat HBA, 49-46, in four OTs. Must really suck to lose a game like that; HBA alumni must be pissed. Must have been emotionally draining for both schools. Only difference is that Kamehameha came-away relieved, while HBA must have come-away numb.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:39 pm
@gopunahou: Yeah, I remember St Louis played Kalaheo for the '95 state title. Kalaheo won, and I was glad for that. Was pulling for them 100%; didn't want St Louis to take it.
You must’ve hoped like hell that St. Louis wouldn’t win a basketball and football title in the same school year, which, surprisingly, never happened. You ought to thank Timmy Chang for skipping basketball in his senior year. Had he played, it would’ve given St. Louis a much greater chance of taking the state title in 2000. They were runners-up that year, too.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:39 pm
You must’ve hoped like hell that St. Louis wouldn’t win a basketball and football title in the same school year, which, surprisingly, never happened. You ought to thank Timmy Chang for skipping basketball in his senior year. Had he played, it would’ve given St. Louis a much greater chance of taking the state title in 2000. They were runners-up that year, too.
@gopunahou: Well, I'm not a fan of St Louis School. I resent their football dominance. You've said that you don't care for them, either.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

sportshawaii has Farrington High ranked #5 in the state, even thought they're D2. And, despite being D2, they're the top-ranked OIA school in the state. (The Top 4 are all ILH schools.) What's up with that?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS FB Fanatic, you were right that KSK is hella inconsistent. They beat Maryknoll and got swept by Mid-Pacific. No disrespect to MPI, but that makes me think that the Maryknoll win was a fluke.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 pm HS FB Fanatic, you were right that KSK is hella inconsistent. They beat Maryknoll and got swept by Mid-Pacific. No disrespect to MPI, but that makes me think that the Maryknoll win was a fluke.
@gopunahou: It probably was, especially since they won by only 1 point. Inconsistency has been Kamehameha Schools' specialty this year and last.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

It was our turn to suffer a baffling loss. St. Francis at home. Perhaps St. Francis is playing hard knowing that its days are numbered.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm It was our turn to suffer a baffling loss. St. Francis at home. Perhaps St. Francis is playing hard knowing that its days are numbered.
Punahou and Maryknoll (even Iolani) are too loaded to lose to a team that relies on two guards to do all the scoring. It was baffling, indeed. I thought for sure Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani were shoe ins for the 3 state tournament births but now I don't know what to think.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm It was our turn to suffer a baffling loss. St. Francis at home. Perhaps St. Francis is playing hard knowing that its days are numbered.
@gopunahou: Yes, that was baffling, indeed. Didn't see that coming. As a Punahou alumnus, you must be pissed. As for me, well, you know I'm not a Punahou School fan. But as for you, you must feel sick, especially since the game went to OT. If it's any consolation, Punahou School's boys' soccer team is doing well; I don't know if you follow soccer.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 pm
Punahou and Maryknoll (even Iolani) are too loaded to lose to a team that relies on two guards to do all the scoring. It was baffling, indeed. I thought for sure Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani were shoe ins for the 3 state tournament births but now I don't know what to think.
@Naz: Well, I think Iolani School is a shoo-in, unfortunately. (I'm not a fan of Iolani School.) They beat Mid-Pac Institute last night, by 3. Mid-Pac Institute is kind of hanging-around, lurking, stalking. Can't count them out. I think they're definitely in the mix.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 am
@Naz: Well, I think Iolani School is a shoo-in, unfortunately. (I'm not a fan of Iolani School.) They beat Mid-Pac Institute last night, by 3. Mid-Pac Institute is kind of hanging-around, lurking, stalking. Can't count them out. I think they're definitely in the mix.
I thought that was so dumb that Punahou allowed Ng to isolate his defender one on one and throw up a 3 in the defenders face in the last possession. Why wouldn't you use everything in your disposal to deny him the last shot in the final possession? Anyways, what I also noticed in the box score is that Kaulana Makaula (12 ppg) was not listed as having played. That is important to take note of. I, too, feel 'Iolani has been the steady team thus far in the weird ILH - they have won the games they were supposed to and haven't lost to anyone not named Maryknoll or Punahou. Mid-Pac should have wins against SFS and 'Iolani but didn't have enough to finish both teams. I hope they peak at the right time and upset somebody in the ILH tournament and get a state tourney spot.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 am
I thought that was so dumb that Punahou allowed Ng to isolate his defender one on one and throw up a 3 in the defenders face in the last possession. Why wouldn't you use everything in your disposal to deny him the last shot in the final possession? Anyways, what I also noticed in the box score is that Kaulana Makaula (12 ppg) was not listed as having played. That is important to take note of. I, too, feel 'Iolani has been the steady team thus far in the weird ILH - they have won the games they were supposed to and haven't lost to anyone not named Maryknoll or Punahou. Mid-Pac should have wins against SFS and 'Iolani but didn't have enough to finish both teams. I hope they peak at the right time and upset somebody in the ILH tournament and get a state tourney spot.
@Naz: It's apparent from your posts that you have a good basketball mind. I don't know your age, but if you're not "too old" (whatever that is), you should coach high school basketball, any school, boys or girls.

If Makaula wasn't playing, well, there's your game right there. If he plays, Punahou School probably wins; the game probably wouldn't even have gone to OT. And again, I agree that Iolani School has been Steady Eddie. But, I wish they weren't, because I don't care for that school at all. But, things are what they are; what can you do? Also, I too hope that Mid-Pac Institute bumps someone and goes to States. I'd rather have them than any of the other top three ILH D1 schools.