2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:10 pm
@Naz: Again, Ng would face the same challenge no matter which D1 college he plays for. For example, what if he chose to play for UH's basketball rival, Long Beach State? He would still be only 5'9" there. He still will have averaged 3 assists in his senior year in high school. He still will be facing bigger, better defenders while in college. What's the difference? The way I see it, let him face all those challenges as a Rainbow Warrior.
You are making like he purposely chose to play for UH over other options. He didn't choose, he had no other choice. Don't you think it's weird that the home school that was able to watch him play throughout high school offered him a walk-on spot at best? And that is with THREE open scholarships still available to them for this incoming class. When you've been promoting yourself as the best basketball player putting yourself in the realm of Derrick Low and Alika Smith, telling the media you have multiple division one offers, and then when it comes down to the nitty gritty, all you really have is a walk-on spot, that just goes to show what your options really were. He was making himself out to be the most recruited kid out of Hawai'i ever. Come to find out, the last article I read said other than walking on at UH, his only other options were to walk on at Portland or go to prep school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 pm
@Naz: Again, Ng would face the same challenge no matter which D1 college he plays for. For example, what if he chose to play for UH's basketball rival, Long Beach State? He would still be only 5'9" there. He still will have averaged 3 assists in his senior year in high school. He still will be facing bigger, better defenders while in college. What's the difference? The way I see it, let him face all those challenges as a Rainbow Warrior.
You are making like he purposely chose to play for UH over other options. He didn't choose, he had no other choice. Don't you think it's weird that the home school that was able to watch him play throughout high school offered him a walk-on spot at best? And that is with THREE open scholarships still available to them for this incoming class. When you've been promoting yourself as the best basketball player putting yourself in the realm of Derrick Low and Alika Smith, telling the media you have multiple division one offers, and then when it comes down to the nitty gritty, all you really have is a walk-on spot, that just goes to show what your options really were. He was making himself out to be the most recruited kid out of Hawai'i ever. Come to find out, the last article I read said other than walking on at UH, his only other options were to walk on at Portland or go to prep school.
@Naz: Again, I know you're not thrilled about Ng. Actually, I'm not, either. I don't know the kid, and I've never even seen him play. All I know is that he's playing for UH. Maybe he couldn't get a better offer. All I'm saying is that I'm glad he's playing for UH. I'm not trying to suggest he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:35 pm
@Naz: Again, I know you're not thrilled about Ng. Actually, I'm not, either. I don't know the kid, and I've never even seen him play. All I know is that he's playing for UH. Maybe he couldn't get a better offer. All I'm saying is that I'm glad he's playing for UH. I'm not trying to suggest he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
You never saw him play? Just imagine a kid who was able to come down shoot whatever shot he wanted. Could even throw up an air-ball or two and still come down and chuck it up. Why? Because his dad on the bench made sure he stayed in to pad the stats.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:35 pm
Neighbor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 pm You guys give too much stock into alma maters. I get it to some extent, but this is Hawaii. Everyone sees each other all the time and it's not too intense at the level like say in Texas or California. It's just about helping out the kids wherever you can.

As for Hale, it seems his resume stacks up both here and in Virginia. As of late though, it seems St Louis issue and maybe Kamehameha too is being able to get pure basketball players and not just multi-sport athletes.
@Neighbor: I'm probably the one most guilty of putting too much stock in alma maters. But here's the thing: I think what it boils down to is that Hawaii simply isn't a basketball state. We're a football state, for sure, but not a basketball state. Even UH, they've had decent men's basketball teams, but not outstanding on a national scale. And even then, most of UH's basketball players are from out of state. Guys who are true basketball players are simply hard to find in Hawaii high schools; we have them only once in a blue moon. You mention St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools as having football players wearing basketball jerseys, but this year that was actually more true of Punahou School, if you look at their starting lineup.

If Hawaii isn't a basketball state, I guess that is what it is. I can live with it, but you still want your high school alma mater to be league champ and state champ, in whichever division. What else can you do? Schools have the players they have. Nonetheless, one school has to be league champ (whichever division), and one school has to be state champ (whichever division). For any given guy, he's thinking that it might as well be his alma mater, right?
Hale comes with the same kind of credentials that Darryl Gabriel had when he became St. Louis's head coach. Both won state championships prior (Gabriel in 1988 and Hale in 2008).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 pm
@Naz: OK, suppose his only options were Portland State or UH. I'm glad he chose UH. Prep school? That's high school, right?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:35 pm
You never saw him play? Just imagine a kid who was able to come down shoot whatever shot he wanted. Could even throw up an air-ball or two and still come down and chuck it up. Why? Because his dad on the bench made sure he stayed in to pad the stats.
@Naz: OK. You mentioned that before. But, the season is over. Ng is now moving on to college ball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:35 pm
Neighbor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 pm You guys give too much stock into alma maters. I get it to some extent, but this is Hawaii. Everyone sees each other all the time and it's not too intense at the level like say in Texas or California. It's just about helping out the kids wherever you can.

As for Hale, it seems his resume stacks up both here and in Virginia. As of late though, it seems St Louis issue and maybe Kamehameha too is being able to get pure basketball players and not just multi-sport athletes.
@Neighbor: I'm probably the one most guilty of putting too much stock in alma maters. But here's the thing: I think what it boils down to is that Hawaii simply isn't a basketball state. We're a football state, for sure, but not a basketball state. Even UH, they've had decent men's basketball teams, but not outstanding on a national scale. And even then, most of UH's basketball players are from out of state. Guys who are true basketball players are simply hard to find in Hawaii high schools; we have them only once in a blue moon. You mention St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools as having football players wearing basketball jerseys, but this year that was actually more true of Punahou School, if you look at their starting lineup.

If Hawaii isn't a basketball state, I guess that is what it is. I can live with it, but you still want your high school alma mater to be league champ and state champ, in whichever division. What else can you do? Schools have the players they have. Nonetheless, one school has to be league champ (whichever division), and one school has to be state champ (whichever division). For any given guy, he's thinking that it might as well be his alma mater, right?
Hale comes with the same kind of credentials that Darryl Gabriel had when he became St. Louis's head coach. Both won state championships prior (Gabriel in 1988 and Hale in 2008).
@gopunahou: Which school was Hale coaching in '08?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:12 pm @gopunahou: Which school was Hale coaching in '08?
Mine.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:08 pm
@Naz: OK, suppose his only options were Portland State or UH. I'm glad he chose UH. Prep school? That's high school, right?
He "chose" UH... to walk-on... after telling the media for months he had D1 offers. I just don't see why he had to B.S. the media for two seasons about offers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:08 pm
He "chose" UH... to walk-on... after telling the media for months he had D1 offers. I just don't see why he had to B.S. the media for two seasons about offers.
@Naz: OK, so Ng BSed. Shame on him. I'm still glad he's playing for UH. Hopefully he'll try to redeem himself with his play.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:17 am
@Naz: OK, so Ng BSed. Shame on him. I'm still glad he's playing for UH. Hopefully he'll try to redeem himself with his play.
Ng is listed on verbalcommits as a 5'9" SG. I don't see UH really needing the services of such a guard anytime soon for meaningful minutes, do you?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:29 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:17 am
Ng is listed on verbalcommits as a 5'9" SG. I don't see UH really needing the services of such a guard anytime soon for meaningful minutes, do you?
@Naz: I don't know, you'll have to ask Coach Ganot. But, Ng is on the team, right? Did Ganot promise to start him? Maybe not. Perhaps he'll be riding the bench most of the time.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Just heard Kordell Ng, who was playing summer ball with Punahou, pulled out and is now headed to Kamehameha.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Just read Hawaii Prep World, Kahuku has a 6'9 senior and his 6'5 sophomore brother transferring in. Akana is the man at bringing in basketball talent from outside Hawaii.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:55 pm Just read Hawaii Prep World, Kahuku has a 6'9 senior and his 6'5 sophomore brother transferring in. Akana is the man at bringing in basketball talent from outside Hawaii.
@Hooper: OK, that's good news to me. Kahuku is a school that I don't mind seeing win a league or state title. We'll see how they do.