2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

Naz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am Anyone's predictions for league MVPs & COY?

For MVP, I got:
ILH - Kamata, OIA West - Ja'Shon Carter, OIA East - Everett Torres-Kahapea

For Coaches, I got:
ILH - Larry Park or Ryan Hirata, OIA West - Kapolei Coach, OIA East - Wally Marciel
Well, I was 3/3 but this was a rather easy year to pick the league POYs. On another note, I just can't believe who they allowed to repeat as the Gatorade Player of the Year. I didn't think he deserved it last season as he played in Division 2 and I don't feel he deserved it this year as he didn't even sniff the state tournament. Never played 1 second in a D1 basketball state tournament his whole hs career yet his name is gonna be tied to guys like Derrick Low and Alika Smith as a handful of players to get this award twice. SMDH!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The days of guys like Derrick and Alika are a thing of the past. If a player makes the kind of strides Derrick did as a freshman and sophomore, he’ll transfer to the mainland. Look at Justice Sueing, Jr.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 pm The days of guys like Derrick and Alika are a thing of the past. If a player makes the kind of strides Derrick did as a freshman and sophomore, he’ll transfer to the mainland. Look at Justice Sueing, Jr.
@gopunahou: Well, I would hope not. Hawaii has had great high school basketball players before; will it never have them again? Would a high school basketball player transfer out of state for basketball?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 pm The days of guys like Derrick and Alika are a thing of the past. If a player makes the kind of strides Derrick did as a freshman and sophomore, he’ll transfer to the mainland. Look at Justice Sueing, Jr.
I'm not sure what the story was behind Sueing's transfer to California was but I do know that he didn't obliterate the competition while he was here in Hawai'i. Maryknoll definitely did not win it all when he played for them as a sophomore. Can't compare Low's sophomore year whereby he got the POY and a state championship to Sueing who I am certain didn't do either.

Alika was kind of like Ng in the sense that he played for his dad and could play the entire game without having to come out. He was able to pad his stats in much the same way that Ng was able to. At least Alika competed in Divison 1 his entire prep career. Let's not forget, Alika never took his team past the semi-finals of the state tournament. But then again, at least Alika MADE the state tournament. Ng has been given the Gatorade Player Award TWICE and he played 3/4 years in Division 2 (which didn't exist when Low and Alika played) and got it this year and wasn't even in the state tournament. We're talking about a player who, by being given this award twice, will likely be talked about in the ranks of Derrick Low and Alika Smith... but yet he didn't even play one second in a Division 1 state tournament. Let that sink in.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm
@gopunahou: Well, I would hope not. Hawaii has had great high school basketball players before; will it never have them again? Would a high school basketball player transfer out of state for basketball?
I think aspiring HS stars think that there is better competition and exposure on the mainland. I also think that if a kid dominates or even shows potential as a freshman or sophomore here, there is a strong chance that he'll transfer to the mainland.
Another player who transferred and played for another HS is Julian Sensley. I don't know what was behind that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
I think aspiring HS stars think that there is better competition and exposure on the mainland. I also think that if a kid dominates or even shows potential as a freshman or sophomore here, there is a strong chance that he'll transfer to the mainland.
Another player who transferred and played for another HS is Julian Sensley. I don't know what was behind that.
@gopunahou: I can see a high school GRADUATE transferring to a mainland COLLEGE. But for a high school player to transfer to a mainland high school? Seems kind of extreme.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Maybe for prep school to play an extra year of high school. For one, it's not the easiest for a kid whose lived his whole life in the islands and whose parents are from the islands to just uproot and move to another state for a sport. Sueing's parents were at least from another state. If a kid is killing it in Hawai'i, why wouldn't you milk it for what it's worth and just gather accolades for as long as you're here like how Low did? It's hard to find another comparison to him since because nobody has come close to achieving what he did for four years. Heck, if they're starting to give the Gatorade Award to kids not even in Division 1 or kids who don't even make the state tournament, why not just stay in Hawai'i and garner "awards".

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 pm I think aspiring HS stars think that there is better competition and exposure on the mainland. I also think that if a kid dominates or even shows potential as a freshman or sophomore here, there is a strong chance that he'll transfer to the mainland.

Maybe for prep school to play an extra year of high school. For one, it's not the easiest for a kid whose lived his whole life in the islands and whose parents are from the islands to just uproot and move to another state for a sport. Sueing's parents were at least from another state. If a kid is killing it in Hawai'i, why wouldn't you milk it for what it's worth and just gather accolades for as long as you're here like how Low did? It's hard to find another comparison to him since because nobody has come close to achieving what he did for four years. Heck, if they're starting to give the Gatorade Award to kids not even in Division 1 or kids who don't even make the state tournament, why not just stay in Hawai'i and garner "awards".
@Naz: I agree. I wish the same analysis would be made about even college basketball. I wish resident kids would say, "I've lived my whole life in Hawaii. My parents are from Hawaii. I don't want to just uproot and move to another state for basketball. I'm going to play for UH Manoa. Might as well; they're D1, too."

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm @Naz: I agree. I wish the same analysis would be made about even college basketball. I wish resident kids would say, "I've lived my whole life in Hawaii. My parents are from Hawaii. I don't want to just uproot and move to another state for basketball. I'm going to play for UH Manoa. Might as well; they're D1, too."
That sounds great and I think it is more applicable to UH football mostly. Can you imagine how good our football team would be if the Tagovailoas, Te'os, Buckners, Kemoeatus, Maritoas, etc. stayed? Wow! In regards to basketball, though, not to many kids playing Hawai'i high school basketball have the talent to play at UH Manoa.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm @Naz: I agree. I wish the same analysis would be made about even college basketball. I wish resident kids would say, "I've lived my whole life in Hawaii. My parents are from Hawaii. I don't want to just uproot and move to another state for basketball. I'm going to play for UH Manoa. Might as well; they're D1, too."
That sounds great and I think it is more applicable to UH football mostly. Can you imagine how good our football team would be if the Tagovailoas, Te'os, Buckners, Kemoeatus, Maritoas, etc. stayed? Wow! In regards to basketball, though, not to many kids playing Hawai'i high school basketball have the talent to play at UH Manoa.
@Naz: Well, I would like to see Hawaii high school athletes in both sports go to UH. It's the home team.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm
@Naz: Well, I would like to see Hawaii high school athletes in both sports go to UH. It's the home team.
For the most part, the top basketball players maybe end up at a Div 2. At best. It is truly rare to see a high school basketball player from Hawai'i end up at UH who are actual scholarship players.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm
For the most part, the top basketball players maybe end up at a Div 2. At best. It is truly rare to see a high school basketball player from Hawai'i end up at UH who are actual scholarship players.
@Naz: It's too bad that though quite a few high school football players from Hawaii are scholarship players, not enough play for UH. The irony is that some of them return to play for UH, after a year or two playing for some "better" mainland team.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I'm surprised yet not surprised who they gave the Star Advertiser and Gatorade POY Awards to.... the kid never played one single second in a division one basketball state tournament in three years of varsity. He even won it over the ILH player of the year who was also the state tournament most outstanding player. This state, I tell you.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:42 pm I'm surprised yet not surprised who they gave the Star Advertiser and Gatorade POY Awards to.... the kid never played one single second in a division one basketball state tournament in three years of varsity. He even won it over the ILH player of the year who was also the state tournament most outstanding player. This state, I tell you.
@Naz: OK, the ILH player of the year was Kamata, of D1 Maryknoll School, right? Well, is Kamata a better player than Ng, of D2 St Francis School? It is possible for an individual D2 player to be better than an individual D1 player, right? After all, what if the best player in the state just happened to be playing for a D2 school?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 pm
@Naz: OK, the ILH player of the year was Kamata, of D1 Maryknoll School, right? Well, is Kamata a better player than Ng, of D2 St Francis School? It is possible for an individual D2 player to be better than an individual D1 player, right? After all, what if the best player in the state just happened to be playing for a D2 school?
To answer your question, I don't think the award should ever go to a D2 player. For the record, Saint Francis played D1 this season which allowed the ILH to gain 3 state tournament spots. If this was the "Most Scoringest Player Award" then yes I can see how this guy clearly ran away with it. Kamata was ILH player of the year AND state tournament M.V.P. He lost it to a guy who didn't even play a single second in a division one tournament. In no realm will that ever make sense to me. People who voted only cared about stats (points) regardless of accomplishment (or lack of).