2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:10 pm I'm not definite about this but I think Ng's father, Kekoa went to Kamehameha.

As for letting the boy in for his senior year, I think many private schools made the exception for St. Francis students, not just Kamehameha and not just the athletes.

Regarding Akana, I think him bringing in talent makes high school basketball more interesting. Although bringing Oscar and his brother in will make Kahuku better, I don't know if they'll have enough to win states. Only time will tell.
I wonder if Ng's dad will end up on the bench at Kamehameha like he was at Saint Francis. I can see Kamehameha parents complaining about playing time if Ng steals minutes from players who came up in the system from freshman year. I can just see it.

I can understand Maryknoll, St. Louis, Damien, etc. making the exception for accepting SF students because of the school's shutdown. But Kamehameha? No way. They have such a complex admission system with preference for Hawaiian students and thousands of kids test each year and don't get admitted but get put on the waitlist. You mean to tell me that a kid that only found out he wasn't gonna have a school the following year more than midway into his junior year bypassed hundreds of kids already waiting on the waitlist for a few spots in the senior class? That is BIGTIME sketchy. I definitely agree with HS Football Fanatic that the athletic department had a hand in this. The father probably has connections to the admissions office or the basketball coaching staff pulled strings.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Hooper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:10 pm I'm not definite about this but I think Ng's father, Kekoa went to Kamehameha.

As for letting the boy in for his senior year, I think many private schools made the exception for St. Francis students, not just Kamehameha and not just the athletes.

Regarding Akana, I think him bringing in talent makes high school basketball more interesting. Although bringing Oscar and his brother in will make Kahuku better, I don't know if they'll have enough to win states. Only time will tell.
I wonder if Ng's dad will end up on the bench at Kamehameha like he was at Saint Francis. I can see Kamehameha parents complaining about playing time if Ng steals minutes from players who came up in the system from freshman year. I can just see it.

I can understand Maryknoll, St. Louis, Damien, etc. making the exception for accepting SF students because of the school's shutdown. But Kamehameha? No way. They have such a complex admission system with preference for Hawaiian students and thousands of kids test each year and don't get admitted but get put on the waitlist. You mean to tell me that a kid that only found out he wasn't gonna have a school the following year more than midway into his junior year bypassed hundreds of kids already waiting on the waitlist for a few spots in the senior class? That is BIGTIME sketchy. I definitely agree with HS Football Fanatic that the athletic department had a hand in this. The father probably has connections to the admissions office or the basketball coaching staff pulled strings.
@Naz: Oh yeah. When it comes to private schools, there's so much politics in the admissions process. Money talks, too. And, it helps if at least one of the applicant's parents is an alumnus/alumna. And, when you say Kamehameha Schools has a preference for applicants with Hawaiian blood, I think it's more than just a preference; it's virtually a requirement. There are enough applicants with Hawaiian blood that there isn't room for all of them, so there's no need for Kamehameha Schools to accept anyone who isn't Hawaiian. I think the only exception was that Caucasian couple that filed suit about 10 yrs ago, arguing that Kamehameha Schools' admissions policy was "discriminatory."
And again, if the applicant is an outstanding athlete, you can be almost certain that the school's athletic dept is going to try to twist arms in the admissions office to pull the kid in. Every school wants to win games/titles, and it keeps the alumni happy.